Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to know what really happened mid 2012 with Tago and Daishi. With all support for SC5 being cancelled and Tago and Daishi disappearing (after having said they wanna make sequels to SC5), it's certain something out of the ordinary happened. Considering Daishi was usually pretty outspoken, he must have been told to keep his mouth shut.

Not implying there's some grand conspiracy (Daishi was smuggling slaves into Japan!?!), but it would be interesting to know if it was due to disappointing sales of SC5, if they moved SC team members onto other projects, or some other reason.
Tago completely disappeared after SCV was released, I suspect he got fired from being the producer after SCV disappointed performance. Daishi was still around for a while, though his Twitter went silent for months at time. I remember him using his Twitter to promote SCIIHDO after it was announced and Hoshino was announced as Tago's replacement. I doubt he still had power then, as Hoshino's Twitter became the main Twitter account for Project Soul. He shut his Twitter down in October 2013 if I recall correctly, with Harada saying he quit.

With Daishi and Tago gone, I wonder what they're going to do now? Maybe they'll start their own company and make their own fighting game that will compete with SC. Sort of like what Respawn Entertainment (the old members of Infinity Ward that left after CODgate) did with Titanfall. Maybe their ideas would be appreciated more if it's not tied to an existing IP.

When I say "strong relationship", it means that he reads the comments.
On this case, Hoshino leaved a comment and I responded some minutes later.
It's not easy to keep sane the link with "fans" or customers when 98% of them says"brillant stuff" like "fuck you Namco, you bitch" ect ... go to see their Facebook page ..that's really disappointing and childish .
lol. Strong relationship.....

It's mainly because he's pretty vocal about things. If someone asks him a dumb, ridiculous question, he's quick to make fun of it.

.........that's probably why I like him so much.

It would be interesting to know what really happened mid 2012 with Tago and Daishi. With all support for SC5 being cancelled and Tago and Daishi disappearing (after having said they wanna make sequels to SC5), it's certain something out of the ordinary happened. Considering Daishi was usually pretty outspoken, he must have been told to keep his mouth shut.

Not implying there's some grand conspiracy (Daishi was smuggling slaves into Japan!?!), but it would be interesting to know if it was due to disappointing sales of SC5, if they moved SC team members onto other projects, or some other reason.
Soul Calibur V's sales were not disappointing. Lower than past games, but when you outsell Namco's cash cow at the time, that says a lot.

I'm praying that Tekken 7 is a failure and the franchise crashes and burns so that Soulcalibur can finally shine in the light that it deserves and become Namco's number one child <3

I'm praying that Tekken 7 is a failure and the franchise crashes and burns so that Soulcalibur can finally shine in the light that it deserves and become Namco's number one child <3
Oh don't worry. Tekken 8 will be the 2nd reboot of the series and people will......say something about that too.

lol. Strong relationship.....

It's mainly because he's pretty vocal about things. If someone asks him a dumb, ridiculous question, he's quick to make fun of it.

.........that's probably why I like him so much.

Soul Calibur V's sales were not disappointing. Lower than past games, but when you outsell Namco's cash cow at the time, that says a lot.
How quickly did the price drop due to bad sales?

No bro.....
I don't even play Tekken anymore,but to hope something like that on a franchise is just wrong dude :l
Imagine if that happened to this franchise?If anything it's most likely to happen to SC first..

Also, it's pretty obvious why Namco values Tekken over SC. Tekken is only two years older than SC, and the total sales are:

SC: 13 million by 2012.
Tekken: 41 million by 2010.

The real question is why do Tekken players dislike Soulcalibur. Theres no real proof of Calibur players disliking Tekken but huge dollar signs and fan base that prove the opposite.

Why does Tekken outsell so well?
it cant just be the 2 year headstart.

that could be an interesting topic for a thread, but from personal experience, public preferences don't seem to have to do with quality or anything really, just check how many people like transformers and watch the movies despite being trainwrecks of the highest order.

we could point out several factors. but they can easily be refuted as well:

too much fanservice? DOA franchise has it by the truckload and is basically thriving because of that.
poor story? to be honest I don't think tekken's story is all that oscar worthy good, and many people agree so scratch that one.

we will have to look deeper what's going on. heck even deliberate focus from BN because they think from the beginning Tekken is the cash cow so they invest in it more and more and give it more push so the the cycle repeats. Personal preferences from the company's top dogs may also would have to be taken into account. A curious case:
One of the animators from saint seiya Hades elyseum quit because he worked in a competing anime when the original series was out , and that anime was never as succesful as saint seiya. and the guy expressed that he really wanted saint seiya hades to fail. because "it destroyed my best anime" so there's that too.

Last edited:
The real question is why do Tekken players dislike Soulcalibur. Theres no real proof of Calibur players disliking Tekken but huge dollar signs and fan base that prove the opposite.

Well, I saw some posts before on this ( Soulcalibur) thread berating a completely different game called Tekken. And from a personal experience, SCalibur players seem to talk about how unfair Tekken's popularity is compared to SCalibur's, often calling Tekken "simple" and "beginner friendly" (hah) whereas Tekken players often praise Soulcalibur for its unique gameplay, art and characters. Of course, my personal experiences aren't facts. That's why I asked this question, to see if others agree with that or not. Let's just leave this for now though..

About Tekken outselling SCalibur, having played/owned many games of both series, I believe that by the time Tekken 2 was out, it was miles ahead of Soul Edge/Blade, and the most popular fighting game at the time ( I think ), which was topped by Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag 1 of course. Soulcalibur came out only on Dreamcast( why?), while Tekken was in the-then most popular console ( PS1 ) and was again, the most popular fighting game. So Maybe namco concentrated on the moneymaker ( I don't remember any advertising on SC II, but I do on Tekken 4). The rest is history.

It outsells in terms of copies, but it doesn't profit as well. Namco puts more money into Tekken because they have historically done better.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...isses-sales-target-soul-calibur-5-doing-fine/

I know Soulcalibur players that dislike Tekken, and I've seen Tekken players dislike Soulcalibur. I personally like them both, but it isn't surprising when you consider that they are competing for the spotlight of 3D fighters represented at tournaments like EVO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back