There were no "Good old days". SC Changes (often and drastically)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, when you present evidence, you argue evidence. Not how you feel. How you "feel" is worthless to me.

I'm not upset or even mad. I'm simply saying that stating your opinion in a discussion with presented evidence is less than worthless.
Gee don't you get tired to be so grumpy?
I haven't even stat anything, besides, people don't talk about game play "The old good days" are more about the casual aspects.

My thesis is pretty well backed up by the OP, and it isn't that I think the series doesn't link together. I'm saying the difference from SC4 to 5 is no more drastic than the difference from SC2 to 3, or SB to SC1. I'm saying difference is par for the course and people need to realize that and stop whining.
Even if they realize things from your point of view, that doesnt stop them from whining. fact is some people like certain things about this game, and some people dont. People are different. If they genuinely dont like the game they will come and go. Some players may think the game is a pain in the ass at times, but if they truly enjoy it they will stay. In any case i dont see any reason why you let it bother you, or why you've decided to make a stink about it by making the thread. Its obvious that SC has changed throughout the entire series, but that doesnt stop them from being SC games. each and every game has good changes and bad changes, and SCV is not perfect. That does not mean however, that it is terrible. It only means that it has room for improvement.

TBH what makes the good old days of SC, for me at least, wasnt the game, or even X element of the game. it was the players and the community. Are there things i would keep about SC5? of course. are there things i would like to see brought back from an older game?(like for example how the 4-input GI system from SC1 was brought back in SC3&4) absolutely. I would also love to see the release of a completed game in SC6, rather than a rushed development like what SC5 was. But that doesnt give me the right to take a hunk out of people simply because "they're whining" or whatever. just because somebody hates SC i dont say "you only hate it because you suck, scrub". Rather I try to work with that person instead. i try to see if there's anything i can do to make them comfortable, anything i can do to help them understand why the game is the way it is. i try to help them find the resources they need to improve. and if it doesnt work out, if they really dont feel that SC is for them, they take their leave in time, but at least they had a good experience with the community.

I dont believe in a "my way or the highway" kind of perspective. Everybody in our community is different, and we should respect that. Besides that, why does it matter to you if somebody complains about SCV? If you're content with the game as it is, you should just take it upon yourself to ignore those people, as they will eventually get stamped out in the natural circulation of the community anyways. To me, i believe that is a much better solution than trying to strong arm people into a certain way of thinking.

complaining about SCV, i suppose could be compared to complaining about government. it doesnt do anything to change anything at first. but when the time comes to elect a new president or prime minister(create a new game) people will hopefully have learned from the past, and have gained a better understanding of what they want and will make their decision accordingly. Not to mention that its also a healthy thing to be able to vent your frustrations once and a while, so long as they're not trying to force their views on another. That being said, you have every right and ability to just ignore what those people say. if somebody doesnt like the game, then dont deal with them. ignore them on here and you wont see any of their posts. its as simple as that. but if somebody doesnt want to like the game, you cant just force them. They have 2 options: they can either take the game for what it is, or they can go play something else. but its not our place to make that decision for them by shoving the decision in their face before it is ready. You need to consider the feelings of the people involved. 8wayrun is not a machine, it is a COMMUNITY. a community made up of people.

Now if you dont care, thats your prerogative. but dont stir up drama and bait flames by making a thread like this filled with angst. that's not a way to treat fellow community members man, and its not cool. what at all can be gained from a discussion like this anyways? Most people dont give a damn about being a purist about soul calibur, they just want to play a game they enjoy. some of us try to take that to the next level, because we are competitive by nature, so we take pleasure in competing with eachother, in a game we enjoy. If they wanna wave SC1-4 like it was the best shit since sliced bread, let them. the reason they do this is because they enjoyed previous games better, which should be telling you something in the first place. and because they likely dont enjoy SCV, it means they likely dont compete either, which means outside of this site, you will never have any association with those people ever. doing something like this however, is just going to spread bitterness and salt, and it may make some members steer down back into the vicious cycle of what you call "whining", with more people to complain, and more people who hold similar views to yourself, to argue with them and create salt. This solves nothing at all.

and just because somebody else goes and does it, doesnt make it ok for others to do it either.

Even though you make some good points, and i even AGREE with some of them, i dont feel like this thread is positively oriented at all, and i think there was a much better way you could have expressed yourself.

I ask that a Mod or Admin please close this thread. I dont believe it has any purpose other than to bait flames, and i think no good will come of it. this isnt the way to deal with people.

Stop trolling idle.

besides, people don't talk about game play "The old good days" are more about the casual aspects.
Well uh... You'd be surprised.

Nice little history lesson here.

I learned about whiff punishing and spacing... well, just this May, 2012, pretty much.

It's baffling to think that people knew what I knew on my level back in 1998. How the hell do I catch up?

You guys, I really sorry ok, just forget everything I said, it was meaningless anyway, I'm really sorry.

I think PS needs to take notes from TTT2's briming success and apply it for SC6.
umm...no offense but id rather have a game thats a little more balanced(or rather less silly) than tekken for my calibur games. if i wanted to play tekken, id play tekken, but obviously id rather play calibur. though i dont have a problem if you like tekken, i just dont want it in my calibur *looks at banned devil jin CAS*. ive never been a fan of the long juggles, wall carries, ground bounces, ect. and i also feel that either the games damage is too high or that the characters need more health. SC has the basics packed down tight imo. also personally i dont feel that even from a casual point of view TTT2 is anything extraordinary compared to SC. ive played through them both, and i felt one was just as dull as the other. TTT2 is a bit more "hype" i guess, but hype sells games, it doesnt make the game good. as for sales, soul calibur sold nearly 1 and a half million copies i believe so far, so its not like it did bad there either. also do keep in mind that SC5 is an incomplete game. it would not have as many issues as it does if the development team had received the extra time they had requested.

If I may interject: Personally speaking, this is exactly why I like soul calibur as a whole: It's changes.
The one thing that just plain pisses me off in terms of street fighter or other 2d fighters is that nothing changes. Same old combos and no difference between character from game to game. All you are buying are the graphics.

Where as soul calibur evolves in different ways, eventually, leading up to the ultimate soul calibur. One that surpasses other fighting games...at least that's what i think is happening.

Let me address this bleeding heart nonsense for a moment.

Even if they realize things from your point of view, that doesnt stop them from whining.

How I interpret evidence does not invalidate the fact that the things stated are FACTS. I'm not lying or stretching the truth- everything posted in the changelog is a real thing.

fact is some people like certain things about this game, and some people dont. People are different. If they genuinely dont like the game they will come and go. Some players may think the game is a pain in the ass at times, but if they truly enjoy it they will stay. In any case i dont see any reason why you let it bother you, or why you've decided to make a stink about it by making the thread.

Have you seen what a wasteland it is around here? The only way to combat ignorance is with evidence. So, I have provided it. The being a jerk part is a personal touch.

Its obvious that SC has changed throughout the entire series, but that doesnt stop them from being SC games. each and every game has good changes and bad changes, and SCV is not perfect. That does not mean however, that it is terrible. It only means that it has room for improvement.

Gee, why thank you for stating the most obvious thing imaginable. In case it wasn't obvious, if I didn't know that I wouldn't have made this thread. I'm eager to see where this grandstanding is going.

TBH what makes the good old days of SC, for me at least, wasnt the game, or even X element of the game. it was the players and the community. Are there things i would keep about SC5? of course. are there things i would like to see brought back from an older game?(like for example how the 4-input GI system from SC1 was brought back in SC3&4) absolutely. I would also love to see the release of a completed game in SC6, rather than a rushed development like what SC5 was. But that doesnt give me the right to take a hunk out of people simply because "they're whining" or whatever.

Look, you are gonna sit here and preach to *me* about community? Step back and think about this. You know whats divisive to a community? A huge negative public outcry in the middle of the community by ignorant and loud people. To me that makes it obvious, alot of "shut the fuck ups" need to be handed out. Me providing evidence is rather pleasant for my position, many other people would just advocate banning their stupid asses. Maybe Wiz was right all along.

just because somebody hates SC i dont say "you only hate it because you suck, scrub". Rather I try to work with that person instead. i try to see if there's anything i can do to make them comfortable, anything i can do to help them understand why the game is the way it is. i try to help them find the resources they need to improve. and if it doesnt work out, if they really dont feel that SC is for them, they take their leave in time, but at least they had a good experience with the community.

I addressed one person as such in this thread, because they came in here with a chip on their shoulder. Give and take. Everyone else, while i make assumptions of their play ability affecting their decision level, does not factor into my arguments, and you can't show that it does.

I'm also not into hugs and kisses and rainbows... on the internet. Ask anyone whos met me in person. you need a room to crash at an event? you need some food? you need help? you want to play? need help with the brackets? wanna shoot the shit about whatever? I'm your guy. This is the internet where nothing of consequence can be given with regards to community except planning, and hard educational information. Fortunately, we got excellent people working on the last two these days. This e-boyscout thing needs to stop.

I dont believe in a "my way or the highway" kind of perspective. Everybody in our community is different, and we should respect that. Besides that, why does it matter to you if somebody complains about SCV? If you're content with the game as it is, you should just take it upon yourself to ignore those people, as they will eventually get stamped out in the natural circulation of the community anyways. To me, i believe that is a much better solution than trying to strong arm people into a certain way of thinking.

I'm trying to get people to think, or to aggravate them so much they fucking leave. In either case, it's an asset to the community.

You need to consider the feelings of the people involved. 8wayrun is not a machine, it is a COMMUNITY. a community made up of people.

I give a shit about the people I've met or will meet. Everyone else is just BS on the internet until such time.

that's not a way to treat fellow community members man, and its not cool.

Look, buddy. I'm not their mommy. Cut out the bleeding heart nonsense.

what at all can be gained from a discussion like this anyways?

A history lesson, discussion, and maybe, just maybe, people will realize they don't know as much as they think they do. For those inclined to argue, it makes easy targets of the people who probably need to get their feet out of their mouthes.

Even though you make some good points, and i even AGREE with some of them, i dont feel like this thread is positively oriented at all, and i think there was a much better way you could have expressed yourself.

I ask that a Mod or Admin please close this thread. I dont believe it has any purpose other than to bait flames, and i think no good will come of it. this isnt the way to deal with people.

Stop trolling idle.

Stop being butthurt for other people, Slayer. I don't give a rats ass about their "feelings". If this is really how you feel, why don't you try and do something to change it, instead of claiming that a post full of ACTUAL INFORMATION is trolling. You know whats trolling? 14 threads of people thinking they can actually make a difference in the direction of the game, then people viciously arguing with each other over it. THAT is fucking trolling.

YG6vv_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s320x240-181195-580.gif

Idle isn't trolling with this post. He is trying to pierce through an artifice of the "scrub".

Thread Title:

SC Changes (often and drastically)

...Followed by a well thought out and informative description of each game. Denoting the the things that make them drastically different from each iteration.

Reason for making the thread:

So the next time some jerk says "SC X is not REAL SC"...

Then what came afterwards was an avalanch of off topic opinions by people who seemingly didn't even read the original post, followed by people who called Idle a troll for defending himself and then asking the mods to close the thread. This is ridiculous.

Personally, as a game designer, I think the post is interesting. It shows me that through the years the team hasn't been afraid to experiment with new designs. Keeping in mind that the popularity of 3D fighting games is low (even 2D fighting games compared to the FPS and RTS genres), it would naturally take a long time to see the true unfolding of player strategies. Starcraft 1, for example, continued to evolve after 10 years, finally reaching its pinnacle, thanks to S. Korea.

Also remember that there aren't a lot of big brothers to look up to in the 3D Fighter market "who do it right". So over the years, Calibur has rolled over a lot of different ideas; struggled with bugs in their code-- because who are you going to copy? Certainly not your competitors, who are probably very defensive of their product. On top of that 3D engines are difficult to manage and 3D Fighting game developers are seemingly always in deep water all the time. So I can give them some slack, especially since we are just now approaching the online era which is radically changing the meta game.

I guess that last paragraph was sort of coming to their defense as the first couple were coming to Idle's. There are some silly things that go on in SCV, but nothing that can't be overcome by being a smarter player. That means nothaving character loyalty and, yes, using every advantage you can find. I say this because every time I play the game there are new strategies that I learn and am able to use them to gain that advantage. To the right of me are the players who have been doing it far longer and are far better. To the left of me, are people who get beat down and compensate their damaged egos by calling the game "terrible". Idle's post was merely to remove one of the flawed arguments that those people use.

Apparently, Idlemind had to go through the Jesus phase. He spouts of the prophecies of SC series, he knows many will smack him down, but he rises above due to the fact he knows certain idiots don't know any better. The fact he went up to SC heaven and talked with the developers to come back into 8way and tell all of this nice info is proof that yes, the SC gospel is here.

In a nutshell, this vid ironically suits Idlemind.

If I may interject: Personally speaking, this is exactly why I like soul calibur as a whole: It's changes.
The one thing that just plain pisses me off in terms of street fighter or other 2d fighters is that nothing changes. Same old combos and no difference between character from game to game. All you are buying are the graphics.
Correction, Street Fighter has experimented before and still does. You ever hear of the games Street Fighter EX and Street Fighter 3?
and Street Fighter the movie....*sighs*

Just wanted to put that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back