8WR MAY XBL D.E. & SWISS TOURNAMENTS - THERMIDOR & ALPHAKEG WIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benny_Blanco: Good games. I don't know too much about Maxi, and I'm not sure you were too familiar with Voldo, so it tuned into a bit of a brawl there. I'd be into getting some more matches in with you later.

Gentlemen, There's been some confusion about the reporting of scores. In order to make things easy for me, please follow this format exactly:

Subject: [Name of tournament], [Winning player] ([#games won]) defeats [Losing player] ([#games won]) Comments (optional)

So an actual one would look like this:

Subject: XBL Swiss, Oofmatic (3) defeats Wandrian (0)

Please do this, because it's tough when you just say "Hey I just beat so and so 3-2" because I have no idea which tournament you mean and I have to hunt through all four of them to find you.

Thanks.

Also:

[notice]The first round has concluded. Please start scheduling your second round matches (and first round losers matches) if you haven't already. They are due next Tuesday.

http://challonge.com/8wrmayxbl
http://challonge.com/8wrmayxblsws[/notice]

Benny_Blanco: Good games. I don't know too much about Maxi, and I'm not sure you were too familiar with Voldo, so it tuned into a bit of a brawl there. I'd be into getting some more matches in with you later.

Yea, I'm down for that. You caught me sleeping with a bunch of ringouts.

Everyone please note, if you have a match with sandclone, you will need to report the results, win or lose, because his PC is down.

The guy in my XBL double elim is trying to rob me! I'll tell you exactly what happened and this is the god's honest truth. we started the lobby. He said lets do a lag match to test connection. i said ok and we did 2. they weren't great, but not too bad either but we agreed to switch hosts. i hosted and we decided it was fine. I beat him in a lag free match. He pops in like ok now we're starting fresh 0-0. Huh? I just won a lag free match. Hes like you forfeit if you don't agree to start fresh. uhhh whatever. Then we start another match, i perfect him once and he quits. He said the lag was too bad and he was gonna message the TC to flip a coin. The lag was FINE! we had 3-4 bars the whole time in match. is that how these tourneys go? damn

If you've got proof of the lag or not in a replay, put it on your license. Save all the replays from the full set just in case.

Well you should still have the last few matches in your replay if xbox is like PS3, even if you turn it off. Even so, I'm not sure replays really show the lag.

Was the match you won the first one with you as the host? In that case it would have been the lag test match and then yes, you'd start over 0-0.

Well you should still have the last few matches in your replay if xbox is like PS3, even if you turn it off. Even so, I'm not sure replays really show the lag.

Was the match you won the first one with you as the host? In that case it would have been the lag test match and then yes, you'd start over 0-0.

Nope it was the 3rd after I started hosting. We did 2 lag matches. Decided the connection was fine. He said lets do this? I said ok and we started the match. Ill check for the replay but like you said I dont even know if the lag will show up or how to upload it.

Well, we should try to get AlphaKeg in here and we can discuss it. I'm about to go to bed though, so it'll have to wait til tomorrow.

Unless the thing completely disconnects so you can't play though, the policy on lag is you just have to fight through it. No coin flip should be required.

When Brizzy (ThePwninTaco) and I fought in the last tourney, we had *serious* lag issues. Fahros was recording that match real-time, so he actually caught it on video and commentated on it. The sportsmanly thing to do when lag crops up is to back up, wait for it to die down, and fight through it if all else fails.

Also, "you forfeit if you don't agree to start fresh." That sounds pretty suspect to me. I don't believe it's anyone's call but UW's.

Here is what AlphaKeg wrote to me. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it.
AlphaKEG said:
Hello,

I would like to discuss what had happened with the set of matches I was going to have with benny_blanco(DATDUDENJ).

I planned for us to have the set of matches at 10:30 pm EST. He agreed and we went forward with it. Before either of us hosted the private player match lobby I told him I was going to reset my network to make it fresh for the matches. When I did I tested my network and received full strength from my connection. So I hosted the lobby to get the matches in. When he arrived he had a 1bar connection with me which was really odd.

We waited and it eventually went up to a 3bar. We did a lag test and it was lagging really bad...by at least 2 seconds. When the lag test match ended we agreed to try again in a few minutes. We performed another lag test and the connection seemed to have become stable. After the 2nd lag test we agreed to get the sets in and wished each other good luck.

Match 1:
Round 1 went very smooth and it was a good match. He came out with round 1 under his belt.
Round 2 was smooth as well. I came out with round 2 under my belt.
Round 3 was when it went completely down hill. It began fluctuating again..by 1.5-2 seconds (3bar...1bar...3bar....2bar...1bar...2bar...1bar). It went in that exact pattern. He came out with round 2 under his belt due to lag not allowing me to ukemi or simply get up while his Maxi repeated the same attack string that hits grounded opponents and when the game finally registered my inputs to a neutral ukemi he ended up with a bunch of CH's somehow.
Round 4 went the same as round 3.

After the match I let him know that there were extreme lag spikes and he acknowledged it. So I suggested we switched hosts. When we switched hosts the connection wasn't stable. It was fluctuating almost every second we were in the lobby. When it settled down, we did another lag test. It seemed to be better when the match started and became pretty stable. Afterward I suggested we start fresh since the lag seemed to be gone. He strongly disagrees because he won the first match even though he acknowledged the lag that was present. We get right into the second match.

Match 2:
Round 1 I switched up my character because he was now locked into using the same character. When the round started he quit the game and created another lobby telling me that I had to choose the same character. I told him that only the winner becomes character and stage locked. Since he now knows the rule we try another match. When round 1 starts...so does the fluctuating connection. I test the connection in game by back stepping and pressing A in a pattern repeatedly. Each A came out 1.5-2 seconds after I inputed the command. Right then and there I quit the match knowing that it just wasn't going to work.

I sent him a message stating that the fluctuating connection made the matches un-playable. I also suggested that we should have you flip a coin to decide the winner or we can try again when he gets back from his trip on Tuesday to see if the connection would be better.

He replies telling me we either finish the matches or I forfeit.

I replied that if he didn't agree to have a coin flipped or try again on Tuesday he'd forfeit and be sent to the loser's bracket.

He replied that I was rage quitting the matches and that he'll message you himself.

I want to fight but if our connection to each other is going to keep fluctuating then I am not willing to risk a loss on it. I mean we do have until Tuesday night to get the results in. Your input on the situation and suggestion as to what we should do would be very much appreciated. I believe the options I offered were very fair. I also think it's fair that we should start fresh(0-0) if we try this again on Tuesday. Thank you for taking the time to look into our situation.
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is you played one match to completion where only 2 out of 4 rounds were a "good" connection. Benny won that match. Then Alpha suggested to play the match again and Benny agreed, though grudgingly. In the second match, you only played part of the first game before Alpha disconnected and insisted they play again, flip a coin, or Benny forfeits.

Please let me know if I misunderstood. However, if I did understand correctly, I believe the first match, which Benny won, should have counted, regardless of how hard it was to play, or how hard or ungentlemanly Benny exploited the lag, as described by Alpha.

Therefore, barring a misunderstanding on my part, I'm going to call this for Benny, 3-1

Yea, you have the sequence of events right. The only thing that isn't true in his version, is that I acknowledged the lag. There was no lag once I started hosting. No more than normal. Nobody else i've played in either tournament complained of lag. Maybe a hiccup here and there but that's the reality of playing SCV online. It's your call how you want to handle it, obviously. I think calling for a coin flip because you were losing is unfair and he was being unreasonable and trying to pressure me into accepting a coin flip or forfeiting, because this is my first tournament and I signed up to this website just for this. It seems like a cool community and I'd like to stick around and do more of these, all of my other matches have been competitive and fun with good sportsmanship win or lose between myself and my opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back