Aeon Tech Trap Discussion

That 8B+K one sounds awesome, does it cause the usual stun/knockdown a 33K would or just hit them (like in a 33k 33k techtrap)?

On 33K 1A I think the opponent can just get up low and block it regularly without doing an ukemi (looked at it a long time ago and CPU would do this), but it's still a nice trap regardless and I dunno how many people will actually do that.

Oh, and at least on some characters, 6bBE into 4B+Kg can actually be a techtrap to the sides, though it has tricky timing and may not work on all the cast.

I think I'm probably dropping Aeon (I perfer pre-patch Aeon, frankly), so here's some tech trap stuff I was hoarding:

CH 22AB, 8B, 2K actually combos. The 2K also techs ukemi attempts and does more damage if they do tech, and the damage is pretty compareable to "normal" 22AB combos.
CH 22AB, 8B, CE same thing as above. CE combos, and also tech traps. If they tech, you get full animation, and it will not glitch out.
CH 22AB, 8B, CE, CE. If they don't tech the first time, they get put into a ground slide stun, and a 2nd CE forces the exact same situation.
CH 22AB, 8B, 66K. 66K tech traps all directions except backwards, I think? I stopped using this one honestly.

Any sloppy tech anywhere versus the CE setup = forever damage, and it's a classy way to get that last round win.

I think I'm probably dropping Aeon (I perfer pre-patch Aeon, frankly), so here's some tech trap stuff I was hoarding:

CH 22AB, 8B, 2K actually combos. The 2K also techs ukemi attempts and does more damage if they do tech, and the damage is pretty compareable to "normal" 22AB combos.
CH 22AB, 8B, CE same thing as above. CE combos, and also tech traps. If they tech, you get full animation, and it will not glitch out.
CH 22AB, 8B, CE, CE. If they don't tech the first time, they get put into a ground slide stun, and a 2nd CE forces the exact same situation.
CH 22AB, 8B, 66K. 66K tech traps all directions except backwards, I think? I stopped using this one honestly.

Any sloppy tech anywhere versus the CE setup = forever damage, and it's a classy way to get that last round win.

Sweet man. I never thought about doing 8B in combo, honestly. And so after this you can still use 8B's usual follow ups? That's Godlike, man.

Wanna give any details as to why you wanna drop Aeon and that you liked him more pre-patch? Just curious.

Sweet man. I never thought about doing 8B in combo, honestly. And so after this you can still use 8B's usual follow ups? That's Godlike, man.

Wanna give any details as to why you wanna drop Aeon and that you liked him more pre-patch? Just curious.

Thank you. It's a crow_winters original!!! I hinted at it months ago trying to get people to experiment more with 22AB. Pretty sure it works off of 33K too. I really feel like 22AB is one of his best moves.

TL;DR

Loss of 3B and 66A pushout is something that has significantly hurt me. I've gone from winning pretty much nonstop at local gatherings to breaking about even with the patch. I played mid range Aeon that abused the 3B pushout. I accept that 4B overall makes him a better character on paper, and maybe in someone else's hands in practice, but versus good turtles I can't get in, I can't play mid range anymore except with 66A (which now dosen't push back out to my former optimal range), 3b -14 now actually matters (pretty much everyone is kept in range to punish it- and people around here do. Nerfing the pushout safety also means nerfing his main source of gauge damage!) and frankly, I don't see nor understand how this character can function versus a strong turtle style greek/etc anymore, where before I was really developing stuff that I thought was strong for those matchups/playstyle.

Throw range buff was the only thing keeping me on board, but I think I have to accept that I cannot make the new Aeon work. I don't get what he's supposed to do because now all his big damage safe stuff is CH and requires getting in thier face, but he's not built for CH's (-6 or more on everything that's safe, his frame trap moves don't work versus anyone that has seen them before, 11B really isn't suited to the task) outside of random guesses or bad button presses post hit stun.

I also had a mid field 3B>CE combo actually pass through a Astaroth, for the first time in my life, breaking every rule of what I thought made the CE glitch. I hit them and Aeon just kept going through them and breathed fire in the wrong direction. That kind of hurt the ego.

Thank you. It's a crow_winters original!!! I hinted at it months ago trying to get people to experiment more with 22AB. Pretty sure it works off of 33K too. I really feel like 22AB is one of his best moves.

TL;DR

Loss of 3B and 66A pushout is something that has significantly hurt me. I've gone from winning pretty much nonstop at local gatherings to breaking about even with the patch. I played mid range Aeon that abused the 3B pushout. I accept that 4B overall makes him a better character on paper, and maybe in someone else's hands in practice, but versus good turtles I can't get in, I can't play mid range anymore except with 66A (which now dosen't push back out to my former optimal range), 3b -14 now actually matters (pretty much everyone is kept in range to punish it- and people around here do. Nerfing the pushout safety also means nerfing his main source of gauge damage!) and frankly, I don't see nor understand how this character can function versus a strong turtle style greek/etc anymore, where before I was really developing stuff that I thought was strong for those matchups/playstyle.

Throw range buff was the only thing keeping me on board, but I think I have to accept that I cannot make the new Aeon work. I don't get what he's supposed to do because now all his big damage safe stuff is CH and requires getting in thier face, but he's not built for CH's (-6 or more on everything that's safe, his frame trap moves don't work versus anyone that has seen them before, 11B really isn't suited to the task) outside of random guesses or bad button presses post hit stun.

I also had a mid field 3B>CE combo actually pass through a Astaroth, for the first time in my life, breaking every rule of what I thought made the CE glitch. I hit them and Aeon just kept going through them and breathed fire in the wrong direction. That kind of hurt the ego.

If we could connect I might be able to give you some hope. I fair well against Pyrrah, Patroklos, turtles in general. Also Aeon was never meant to have big damage safe stuff to begin with. He never had good frame traps neither. He is a whiff punisher, anti-step pressure kinda character. With monster ring out capabilities. Truly one of a kind.

Oh yeah and I have yet to have 3B into CE fail on me. You just got unlucky, I guess. And on a personal opininon, making a high damage launcher such as 3B punishable is only fair. -14 ain't that bad either.

Anyway you might feel more comfortable with another character, it's up to you. Games are meant to have fun so do what you must to keep the Soul burnin'. Just remember you won't be a Lizard anymore.

Tbh, pre-patch 3B was stupid. It created an extreme dumbing-down of an already scant movelist since it was almost the only mid you ever needed (except for 66A of course). It was no risk/high reward in most match-ups, and although I abused the hell out of it, I can't say it was ever really satisfying to do so. Shifting power away from 3B forces him into exploring more options and is overall healthier for the game. I don't feel Aeon is any weaker because of this.

Back to the tech traps, I remember playing around with 8B in combos when the game first came out and believe 3A catches all directions after 33K, 8B or you can 44K if you think they will roll instead. I didn't know about CE after 8B I'll have to play around with it!

After CH 4B, 1B_1B$ catches the opponent if he rolls forward or backward. You have to imput 1B with a huge delay to make it work. Check this yourself: I'm still a scrub and I'm starting right now to understand tech traps, so maybe I've made a mistake. I'm not even sure if it's character dependent (I tried it only against Hilde). I'll test it more later.

EDIT: It seems it works with everyone. Also:
- CH 4B, 3B$, 44BAA = 122 dmg (1 bar)
- CH 4B, 3B$, CE = 154 dmg (3/2 bar)
It's not practical to use in an effective match, but it hurts.

this can be evaded by teching backwards, even the CE

Good catch. I went into training mode to verify and your right. BUT! 2B works in it's place and does more damage. I also discovered that 3K hits all techs but misses otg (obviously)

The only downside is that 2B doesn't combo, they can block if they don't tech and just block.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I actually used 2B to mix up with 2K because no one I have ever fought ever in my entire life techs backwards.

I've been using 33K, 1A, 66B for insane damage.

1A tech traps on all sides, and gives you a free 66B

33K is the only reliable way i have found for landing 1A during tech, 22AB CH can work if you delay it, but it's a little tricky. The downside is that 1A doesn't hit grounded.

22AB is a great move, I often deliberately use it with the A out of range, then counter hit with a delayed B when they think they can punish, works all the time.

dont really have much to add tech trap wise, most of the stuff i use has already been said

33B, G, 9B

- 66K catches Left, Front and Right

- 3A catches Left, Front and Right

- 3K catches Left, Front and Right

For opponents that start back teching

33B

- 1A catches all tech

- 66A+B catches front and back tech

- 66B catches Front, Back and Left tech. Needs to be delayed otherwise it will combo with 33B.

- 4B+K catches all tech. Needs to be delayed otherwise it will combo with 33B

- 4B+Kg catches Front and Back. Needs to be delayed otherwise it will combo with 33B

- Run up and grab catches all tech. Escapeable by teching into a crouch. Great mix up situation for 66B, 66K or 663B into a reset. BT B+K has never connected for me after the 663B but all tech traps apply.

6B BE: slightly delayed 66K catches all tech. big damage

1B BE: slightly delayed 66K also catches all tech. leads into a tech/no tech mixup with 1B+K. much scarier than tech trapping with 66A (EDIT: whoops, 66K only catches f/b). 1A catches all techs though

33K/1B CH, 8B: CE tech catches f/l/r. it can also catch back tech if they did not try to tech the 8B, but will sometimes only be the roll part of the super (thanks for the awesome CE project soul). 66K also catches f/l/r

9K: CE catches f/l. 66A catches b/r. 66K catches f/b. might be more, but i usually just take the guaranteed 2B

9B: 3A catches all. 66K catches f/l/r

Ok I'm done testing this, and it's frickin' Godlike!

Max range 8B+K (crumple stun) into delayed WR B.
The thing to notice here is that WR B also hits grounded, so in case you mess up, you get damage no matter what.
It catches all directions, and the followup combo seems always guaranteed for a whoopin' 105 DMG!

Consider that the timing for this is fairly hard. The technique is that after 8B+K hits, you have to hold "2" for a little while, and input the WR B just before they tech. You also have to release "2" so 2B doesn't come out instead.

Keep in mind that if they don't tech, 44K is the better option, and 44K is also guaranteed whether they tech or not.
8B+K (max range) -> WR B (ground hit) = 44 DMG
8B+K (max range) -> 44K = 63 damage + better oki

I analyzed it completely, but mad props to Silent Wall for making me aware that this existed.

For near wall knockdowns without wallsplats:
66A+B → Slightly delayed 66A - 71 damage, all side tech trap
66A+B → 66B - 63~65 damage, front, back, left, and OTG. Slight delay causes launch on back tech for 100+ damage combo.
6[K] → 44BA - Catches OTG, front, and back tech for wallsplat. 44K combo after for 130ish damage.

Some guy said 2A then wrAB is a tech/frame trap. I assume it's not?
Well, almost anything is a frame trap after 2A on hit. WR AB after 2A on block usually means you're going to eat a CH launcher, so I wouldn't recommend it.

WR B on the other hand has an insane TC window, so you can use it after 2A on block if your opponent gets too throw happy. Again though, beware of CH launchers.

In any delayed 66A tech trap (9K, 6B BE, CH 66K, etc) you can use 663A or 669A to get a few extra points of damage.

Back