Algol Combo & Tech Trap Discussion

Can be ukemied at the highlighted 2A+B. However it is important to know that the old 1.02 combo (44B → 66A+B → iFC 8B BE → 2A+B → 66B BE → iFC 8B BE → 3B BE → QI A+BB) still functions when it hits a side or backturned opponent (I posted about it here back in April '12), because the newest standard combo for front hit 44B (44B → 6 → 2A+B → et cetera) does not work unless the opponent is hit head on by the 44B.

This is weird because I could not tech out of the bubble and the CPU could not tech either. On screen, the character was facing down but with their side facing you, and I was unable to ukemi at all. I think it may be a glitch.

There's this video:

@1:22 in the video the French player Izno does the combo and the CPU is unable to ukemi until the end. I'll have to more into it if you can ukemi out, but currently I'm unable to ukemi when my brother does the combo on me.​

maybe because the player in the combo video is doing a sidestep to patroklos right before hit the 44B launcher

maybe because the player in the combo video is doing a sidestep to patroklos right before hit the 44B launcher
It's actually a slight sidestep. I was reading in the SoulCalibur fr forum and it says that it has to be a slight sidestep to get the perfect angle. You can technically sidestep normally and perform the combo like in the video.

@Slade: It was kinda hard to describe how to hit them, but the results from that video show that the special knockdown state on their side cannot be tech rolled. I managed to replicate the combo like in the video a bit more consistently, but I don't quite a grip on why someone cannot ukemi from that odd angle.

Also, the wall combo with a 3B BE is very consistent in getting a high wall splat on almost every character (sometimes Nightmare/Siegfried won't splat but Astaroth does), but it becomes less consistent when doing it off a raw 6KK on small characters.

Usually off of 44B for one BE I like to do 6 2A+B iFC 8B BE 2A+B iFC 8B. But now if they don't tech you can get even more damage! Basically replace the iFC 8B ender with 66B+K. If you do it normally the ender will whiff on some characters. You have to delay the iFC 8B BE. This makes the opponent slide right under Algol so that it's a consistent combo with no tech. The real mixup is on you to read the opponent's tech but it makes for a stupidly damaging alternative and nice meter regain.

Edit: Just found that this is still character-specific midscreen. Does not work on ZWEI, Astaroth, and Tira. Near a wall/edge it works on everyone. This means the oki combos below don't work on these three characters as well.
This works after 4B+K launch as well. It also works on ZWEI and Astaroth in this case, although Tirable still falls out.

This works after 4B+K launch as well. It also works on ZWEI and Astaroth in this case, although Tirable still falls out.

I can't seem to picture the combo. I don't have access to SCV atm so I cannot really check out how practical is the combo. Also, how much damage is it doing?

I can't seem to picture the combo. I don't have access to SCV atm so I cannot really check out how practical is the combo. Also, how much damage is it doing?
103 meterless. The thing about this combo is that 66B+K will not combo if the opponent ukemis during the 2A+B, which causes it to launch lower than it usually does. However, 4B+K is an untechable knockdown, meaning the 66B+K should always work.

103 meterless. The thing about this combo is that 66B+K will not combo if the opponent ukemis during the 2A+B, which causes it to launch lower than it usually does. However, 4B+K is an untechable knockdown, meaning the 66B+K should always work.

Okay that's good. I'm just trying to picture this thing in my head lol.

Whiffing QI B → 44B tech trap leaves you at -15 apparently.

Also:
Correction: This has been known forever and is character specific. The characters it works on are in the combo sticky already.
CORRECTION PART DEUX: Not as character specific as it might seem. Combo sticky has more info.

I've gotten around to superupdating the combo list. I also tested the combo that ForceDestruct posted and found that it does work and it is consistent--however, your chances of actually landing this in a match are virtually nil due to the angle it has to hit at. None of his guard burst tools have short enough recovery to allow him to step into the proper angle to land the 44B for the combo, so it won't work there either.

Anyways, I'm going to add a dead trap section to the combo sticky as well.

1B trade:
16F stun but 4BA won't combo?
FC 8B > 1K (79)
FC 8B BE > 1K (95)

4B trade
16F stun
6KK (56)

3AA trade
Trades with i11 when first hit is JGed
Not much off of it besides CE for 118.

FC 8B
Nothing off trades from this due to it being TJ at impact.

Algol trade combos suck.

Probably known, but anytime FC 8B BE air hit connects on an originally BT'd opponent they land face-down/head-first which guarantees a 2A+B, iFC 8B finish.
I think FC 8B, 1K can be back teched (at least at further ranges), I prefer comboing into 2B however 3AA & 3B are tech traps (3AA is character/range dependant unfortunately).
Also, FC 8B BE, 1A = 79d. vs no tech; catches F/B/R/N tech and must be blocked low vs Left tech.

Hi,
a french player find a tips for FC 8B:BE :

You can realize a dash between 2 _8B or 2_8B:E
So with this tips 4BA, FC 8B:BE, 44B = 84 and not 74. This tips increase a lot of algol's combo like 44B 6 2A+B 6 FC8:BE, 2A+B 6 FC 8BE, 44B = 181, not 164.

French gdoc for algol.

I'm not sure if these are known, but they're not in the combo thread so I thought I'd share them.
44B, 4A+B BE, 4, 2A+B, A+B, QI B, 3BB = 143, 25% meter. Wall needed of course... (That 4 in there refers to a very, very slight backstep, not a full one, otherwise A+B will miss.)
44B, 4A+B BE, 88A(1P side), [6], 8A+B, 66A+B, iFC 8B, 2K = 140-146 w/Clean, 25% meter. (The key here is to get all of 8A+B, 66A+B, iFC 8B to hit as high as possible so the 2K combos.) (88A can be reversed for those odd whiffs 4A+B BE can have with early timing.)

It's not a big thing but...

I'm not sure if these are known, but they're not in the combo thread so I thought I'd share them.
44B, 4A+B BE, 4, 2A+B, A+B, QI B, 3BB = 143, 25% meter. Wall needed of course... (That 4 in there refers to a very, very slight backstep, not a full one, otherwise A+B will miss.)
44B, 4A+B BE, 88A(1P side), [6], 8A+B, 66A+B, iFC 8B, 2K = 140-146 w/Clean, 25% meter. (The key here is to get all of 8A+B, 66A+B, iFC 8B to hit as high as possible so the 2K combos.) (88A can be reversed for those odd whiffs 4A+B BE can have with early timing.)

It's not a big thing but...

Yeah I tend to stay away from 4A+B BE combos like the plague due to its sheer inconsistency. But I see some use against the wall.

Last edited:
Ok, just got back into the game and I can't seem to do these new combos:

You can realize a dash between 2 _8B or 2_8B:E
So with this tips 4BA, FC 8B:BE, 44B = 84 and not 74. This tips increase a lot of algol's combo like 44B 6 2A+B 6 FC8:BE, 2A+B 6 FC 8BE, 44B = 181, not 164.

Humm, I can't seem to get this 6 in between 2A+B and FC8:BE. Is the timing super strict or am I doing something wrong (I can get it fine inside 4BA, 6, FC 8B:BE, 44B)?

And also,

44B, 4A+B BE, 88A(1P side), [6], 8A+B, 66A+B, iFC 8B, 2K = 140-146 w/Clean, 25% meter. (The key here is to get all of 8A+B, 66A+B, iFC 8B to hit as high as possible so the 2K combos.).

Are they still in the air when 2K hits? I can do the rest of the combo but as soon as iFC8B hits it puts them on the ground and they can block, no matter how high they were before the hit (and if I hit them while they're too high they're too far to be hit by 2K once they hit the ground).

Last edited:
Humm, I can't seem to get this 6 in between 2A+B and FC8:BE. Is the timing super strict or am I doing something wrong (I can get it fine inside 4BA, 6, FC 8B:BE, 44B)?
It's a wonky buffer. I haven't had the time to get it down but my guess is that once you get past the "wall" of doing it enough times it should be just a matter of muscle memory, like with 66B BE → iFC 8B BE or Viola 2B+K BE → 6B+K → 66A.
For me personally I'd start by practicing 2G ~ 6 ~ iFC 8B BE at neutral to give me an idea of the timing intervals between recovery, the forward dash, and the 8B BE input. If you're not having trouble with it after 4BA then my guess is that your estimate on 2A+B's recovery is off and you're over or undercompensating the delays as a result. I can't think of a mechanical reason for the buffer not working here.
Are they still in the air when 2K hits? I can do the rest of the combo but as soon as iFC8B hits it puts them on the ground and they can block, no matter how high they were before the hit (and if I hit them while they're too high they're too far to be hit by 2K once they hit the ground).
It's a one-in-a-million combo whose success is predicated on too many variables working together for it to be consistent or practical.

22_88A and 1A can be made to tech trap after 33A if you're near a wall. Each has its own side that it can be escaped to, but sometimes 1A catches right tech.

Back