Algol General Discussion/Q&A

Nah I don't think so, i'm doing it on training dummies, unless they randomly tech in different directions. I suppose its not that important, its mostly for swag combos anyway. 66B>3B BE combos are plenty stylish enough until I figure it out.

Thanks again for dropping some easy ways to get in a BT state

Found two more ways. If your opponent is against the wall and you use B+K you'll end up BT. Also if you hit 66B+K on air opponent mostly after 44B you'll also end up BT.

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in for some advice.
I've been maining Siegfried for awhile, but came to the realization that he isn't as up to snuff compared to the rest of the cast. I've used Algol as my tertiary in IV, but never picked him up completely. What are some good starting places to learn him in V.

Mainly, im interested in all of his BE inputs, combo setups, main moves and pokes.
Sorry if this has already been answered, just ignore me or point me in the right direction XD
Thanks a bunch Algol masters

44b fc8b be 2a+b 66b is a combo for 106 dunno if you can get anything better off of that...I imagine you can since 2a+b is slow as shit

My problem is, is that they get hit by the wrong bubbles, so when they fall, the only bubble remaining is way too far away for them to fall on, is there a remedy for this or is it really just as inconsistent as i'm seeing?

Its because Bubble combos like that only work if you hit the 44B at Point Blank range. otherwise they're knocked to far and the bubbles spread out too much. never had an issue with Air control.

man bubble combos are hilarious guys... but i just hope you are all not forgetting that the odds of hitting with 44b , at close range, in a tournament match, is very unlikely. i mean if you yomi a high thats great... but imo it would be better to just duck the high i read and use either 6kk or 4ba outta FC to punish the high, but thats just me.

You could probably land it after a JG of some sort though. I was testing some anti strats vs pat and one of his BEs is punishable on JG with 44B. JG needs a lot more attention by players in general.

I'm thinking more along the lines as Kvalstemacka. Probably the only time I would ever woop out a 44B would be on a JG.

Hmm, I'm at work so can't check, but can you land a 44B after 22_88B connects?

Obviously you have to land the 22_88B, which is just as slow as 44B, I guess the only difference is that you are stepping so maybe it's slightly more practical that just relying on someone to whiff something unsafe at range.

Hmm, I'm at work so can't check, but can you land a 44B after 22_88B connects?
Yes you can, but the 44B hits the opponent grounded so you don't get the launch. It is the highest guaranteed damage off 22B, but usually you can get away with 2A+B>66A/B after it for more, as long as they don't left ukemi in time.

Another time you can land a 44B is after a guard burst, but that won't necessarily be a close hit, and you have to break with something that recovers quick enough. You have barely enough time for 44B>guard burst>44B hit.

Any general tips for fighting long range characters like Mitsu/Asta/Nightmare/Xiba as Algol? I don't feel the match is too one sided, I just feel like i'm missing something. If the player spaces properly, my 66B whiffs, as well as 4BA in regards to punishing. 2A does me some good but it doesn't convert into any big damage, and i'll just get guard bursted eventually if I fall back on it. Stepping seems really dangerous with the amount of antistep attacks these guys run on me. Not to mention, if I get any real offense going, I get aGI'd or just GI'd ( which I don't feel Algol can really fall back on, too meter dependent on damage ). Bubble zoning has mixed results. 6BBB>Step up command grab into chair vortex works wonders but a bit too obvious after the first time.

I mainly have trouble early on, at the start of the match, anything I do just gets straight stuffed so I end up backstepping or sidestepping and having them charge at me and me eating whatever mixup they throw, which isn't too bad but I feel that momentum is too strong in this game to just give up the start of the match like that. What are Algols safest options at the beginning of the match?

Other than that, thats really all I need help with. How to deal with punishing moves if i'm too far away for 66B or 4BA to reach, and how to start off matches?

At round start, other than movement, A+B and 2A+B are pretty good starting attacks as long as you don't think they will sidestep

made a vs Asta thread here

You can sometimes catch people with 1A at the start of the round, it's got really nice range. You can also land a 2B+K, B from the start position if they don't sidestep you, but that's a big risk. Also try going for 33_99ABK, if you see them going for a vertical strike as it's also got good reach.

For characters that want to stay away from you, don't forget 4B+K will catch them as they try to back away.

Personally if I'm fighting someone who wants to play a long range game, I just go for an 7_8B+KBBBB or back up and get my fireball zoning on. If they stay out at range you can mix up the fireballs by coming in with a QFlip K which works wonders as no-one ever expects it to hit low. If your opponent does block the kick, mix it up with the B variant. If they are circling you at range I think you can hit them with a Qflip A.

You can also annoy them by backing off and then just B+K teleporting into short range and blocking and punishing their response with something like 2A or 4BA.

As for punishing if you are too far away from 66B or 4BA, 3BB has gatliek range, it might well reach them and 3B BE obviously then leads into the sweet, sweet comboey goodness that we all know and love. You can also try 4AB, intentionally whiffing the first hit of that to try and catch them with the second. If they whiff something massively then you can always try for 44B into bubble combos or into 66B+K.

Hope that helps!

Interesting stuff. I don't like starting matches with A+B vs Nightmare or Asta, I might just be flubbing it ( Not very much experience with Algol, mostly just training mode schtuff ), but it either gets stepped, resulting in a neutral or similar situation again, or it trades and not in my favor damage wise. Stepping back just outside their range and popping off an A+B works decently I suppose, these guys have crazy far range when it comes to rush moves though.

I just feel that my bubbles are to risky to throw out at mid range due to the slight start up.

About 33_99ABK, is that a reliable anti-step? The reason I ask is because I use 6BBB a lot to set up command grabs into chair vortex, most peoples reaction is to step the bubble and I was thinking of something I could use to stop that. Either way i'm sure i'll find a use for it.

And yea, i'll try to incorporate 3BB into my gameplay a bit more if the range is better, I would have figured that at least the 1st hit has less range than 66B or 4BA, and that the 2nd hit would come too late and that they'd be able to guard.

Thanks for that tip about 44B>66B+K, another way to set up that chair vortex.

Oh also, what do you guys do for setups after a knockdown? I don't really have anything solid, just 3BB for guard gauge damage or tossing out some bubbles with a step up grab

Sorry for the wall of text but I do have one more question, and its if there are any subs you guys have to cover Algols bad matchups ( if he has any )

After knockdown I love love love love going for a 2B+K,B. If you weren't at max range when you did it, the bubble will catch all rolls (it always catches backrolls regardless of how far away you were), popping them up into the air. From there if I have the meter I am going in for 3B BE A+B B BE, 4BA which hits for like 80-90 damage, although I think the final hit of the 4BA can be air controlled.

You can also go for 66B BE, 4BA after they pop up if you have less meter. If you have no meter you can hit them with a 4BA.

NOTE: 2B+K can be avoided by rolling to the side, however so far I notice that if it happens, you aren't left at a disadvantage as both characters seem to rise at the same time. The only exception to this would be characters who can attack from the floor like Voldo and Dampierre, but if you knocked him down, Dampierre wont be in his poker bluff stance anyway.

Thats cool, sorry for all the questions but I guess its generating some nice answers and discussion for people to check out.

What options do you have if you absolutely know that someone is not going to tech roll( I think the term is Ukemi, where they instantly try to get up )? Is there any way to take advantage of this to get free damage, or is that just the advantage of Ukemi? I'm too new to Soul Calibur and 3D games in general to know much about the wakeup system.

Also, how do you guys feel about meter management? I love going for swag combos and often burning 100-150% meter as soon as I land that hit, but since momentum is so powerful in SCV, if they happen to get a solid hit on me, its really hard to recover and I end up being down a round and a ton of meter. Also, using extra meter doesn't seem to net an exponentially large amount of damage. For example, 66B>3B BE A+B B BE>66B BE>4BA is around 124-130 damage ( Not sure why damage varies in the same combos, would like some answer on that, clean hits im not noticing? ), whereas a straight 66B>3B A+B B is 80~ damage. as far as cost effectiveness goes, its a little 60%~ of the damage for a 1/3rd of the cost. Of course with the right opener you can get 190+ damage for 150% meter but most people know not to backstep against Algol.

I'm thinking i'll only use half a meter until i'm sure I can kill by using all my meter or if its last round.

As far as how Algol is, I think hes great. Hes got really nice frame data, has multiple playstyles to deal with all kinds of matchups, really nice frame traps, space control, a few decent lows, and he can punish you HARD if you want to protect a life lead near the end of a round.

He doesn't seem to have any gimmicks or "derp" moves he can fall back on which is fine. No real high execution requirement on his combos, I dunno, just a lot of stuff going for him. Only negative is his meter dependency which weakens him at the start of a round, but luckily everyone starts the round with zero meter and can't really do too much until they get it.

Top 5 character for sure.

Well, I would call his BT B+K A+B loop a gimmick as it will only work until someone figures out that it's a frame trap and then they just start blocking. Until they figure it out though they're going to be eating that damage.

What drew me to Algol is that he's not banned anymore. To me he seems like the most versatile character in the roster, he can zone and play keep away better than any other chracter imo, however in turn he can also punish preple trying to keep him away by using 4B+K from any range. I also massively approve of any character using their own giant stone cobra throne as a weapon - especially the CE2, for when you absolutely positively have to ledt the other guy know that chair > them.

On the subject of people who don't ukemi, I think you can launch them off the floor with 3B BE. Or you can just drop the chair on them with CE2. Or you can maintain a bit of distance and attack them with 3A, or even if you think they're going to play dead for a second you can go for a 2A+B or probably even 8B+KBBBB or even 8B+KK if you are far enough away.

Back