Algol setups + mixups

spongebob

[08] Mercenary
Most of the discussion here is about techtraps, combo's and certain moves so lets talk about sum set ups + mixups :)

Im not 100% sure of the meaning for a set up if sum1 could tell me that would be nice but there are the main things I use in my game.

These arnt tech traps btw.

BB (blocked) 4aB 11B/ 1B combo = Not fully sure if you can punish BB but since its blocked a lot of ppl wana attack after with usually a quick short ranged move. So the 4 often avoids can you can whiff punish with either aB or 1B. aB's two frames faster so that may catch sum stuff 1B doesnt. You can also mix it up with 11B for a law or 1A and 3AA if they GI.

2A WR [K] = The second hit of WR K often catches ppl out who don't know it but I avoid using this when I play against ppl I play often cause they can just duck the last kick.

2A+K A+B/ [A+B] 22B = Although this is fairly slow its not as easy to see like 11A and I usually use it to hit people on ground for extra dmg. Every1 knows not to tech or get up by holding G to avoid getting bounced up frm the A+B by now. So often ppl let the bubble go past then get up normally and get hit by 22B which gives u +3. Not really fullproof but can work well in corners and against sum ppl. An example of where ill often use 2A+K is after a KND or stun or w/e like Q flip A etc...

22B Throw/ 2B+K = Gud mixup. People usually get caught by the throw then once they realise what your doing you can put 2B+K in their and mixup ure throws. 2A can under the thrw but 2B+K will hit them. You can get a ch from 1K too.

6KK CH 1K = Dunno this catches quite a bit sumtimes :) Yes theyre attacking out of disadvantage which you shouldnt do but ppl do it often which results in 1K CH and you can do 44B or if they dnt back tech 2A+B etc.... If they just block then they'll probably just get hit by the normal 1K. This works loads on edgemaster.

3BQ flip B+K or A+B = Can you still call this a setup? I dunno but it does catch ppl out. Sum ppl walk into the B+K quite a lot lol.

BB throw or 2B+K = I think it gives u enough adv to mix it up. Sadly you have to be within hugging range to connect the throw so maybe you shud mix sumthing else most of the time.

A+K 1B = Teleport is so useful you can often get behind sum1 as they complete a string then just 1b them in the back.

2A FC 2K = Just two pokes I use stuff like this loads to finish ppl off. 2K is actually disadvantage on hit but it doesnt really look like it. A really silly thing to do is 2A FC 2K 2K 2K and if they dnt bother attacking and try blocking lol is WR B lol. But i dunno if that'll really work. 2A FC 2K is really useful tho.

B+G 9 (jump over) BT 2K 2B / BT B+K = Its pretty funny to do this and works quite a lot. Most ppl arnt probably gonna block low so doing 2K then 2B which just about combo's is funny. Ppl might just take the dmg for 2K if they dnt wana eat BT B+K. Since I have my R2 mapped to A+G i sumtimes try it on this thrw when they dnt get up str8 away lol its harder but cn still work.

Running up then 63B or 66 A+G throw or just normal throw = I don't think its a mixup but often I get time to run towards them after KND or whatever and they'll be blocking and wondering whether to block low or try breaking a throw. One of my habits was to block low often when sum1 ran at me and that lead to me eating kind combo :(. His 66A+G throw is pretty dmging so its good to mixup using the thrws and 63B when running towards sum1.

Thats all i can think of now. Ppl post more :) Im sure theres a few good ones using his auto GI attack 623B

ehh.... on wake up or w/e. Well tbh i GC with it all the time on ppl standing its not that slow.

well on block it gives +3 doesnt it? On most ppl u can just try mixing up a throw and 2B+K. 2A can beat out thrw but im pretty sure 2B+K will hit em. If not then just do a faster mid like BB or w/e. 4aB etc wud probably work too.

you can just shoot 4(A+B) at the right range

as long as the first one hits they have to block the 22B or eat it

This is probalby well known but i dnt see it too often and think more ppl shud use it. any move thats not too bad on block plus 623B is gr8. E.g 2A or BB and then they try BB or another 2A or w/e and they'll get hit by the aGI. If they try to do do a slow move to throw u off u can just start using another 2A and if the move is slow enough even WR B i guess and follow it up with w/e u want.

Anyway the aGI is really useful cause it'll stop ppl from wanting to try punish u (or if they cant since the aGI wnt wrk if ure a too much disadvg) and stop you having to guess as often? I also love how it ducks highs so every quick attack will get Gi'ed besides kicks or w/e.

I understand what you're saying, but 623B isn't a great move. If it allowed you to get a combo or something afterwards then it would be good, but as it is now you get 30 damage. Then if they blocked you're trying to cover 1 unsafe move with a more unsafe move. I don't really see the advantage in that. You might as well just do a regular GI and combo from that instead of using 623B.

The DP is pretty crappy IMO. You could argue that DPs always have bad risk vs reward anyway in 2D games (obvious exception would be SF4 if you can do a DP to ultra). However, Algol's is not a true DP because it takes a long time to beat highs. If it beat highs/mids/lows all from early on it would be good regardless of the risk, but I've been hit out of it by high moves and throws way too many times.

Back