Animal Kingdom - Time to use parts you never use !

oh, really like that vulture, and bonus points ffor using the helmet ornament to make Jerry's whiskers.

Thanks, i needed those whiskers, and it was not easy at all to properly place the ornament that much i can tell.
If you want the coordinates for your own future stuff, i can share ;o)

What are you talking about? That's awesome!!

Thanks but there were things i wanted to do that simply didn't work, like changing the mouth or giving the eyes the proper "you know your ass's gonna get kicked" gaze, and of course i wanted the pointy nose but that left me with only 4 horns instead of 6 to do the "hair", and i needed at least 10 to recreate the haircut properly...hence the epic fail, at least for my own taste, glad you liked it...

Last time messing around...now your turn (after the cool ones already posted by Chobek, Gef and co of course ;o)

Olcadan concept :

ccacsu4gvx4keospu.jpg

Pikachu concept (Lil Vil's request, i hate Pokemons ;o)

ccacu0zz3ts5uvvxe.jpg

Dinosaur Do-Over

Chobek, nice job on the lizard man; you've inspired me to experiment with dinosaur-like characters.

First a theropod, in this case a raptor with the distinctive claws on the feet, and a stiff tail for balance based on Chobek's design. Alignment's a chore. I used Oprah's style because of the way she leans forward. Raptors are the closest to modern birds so I didn't modify the head.

Next is a sauropod, a very basic dinosaur shape. I borrowed a trick from Vil's vulture and made the tip of the bird beak a tongue. Tip: Rotate the heart sideways, and you have a walrus head - just add tusks. There's no way to make a tail on the right scale, but the fauld did allow me to lengthen the one I used for the raptor (the fauld hides the spot where the wings separate).

Third is duckbill, with a hollow crest on the top of its head that paleontologists believe acted like a whistle for loud mating calls. The crests came in different shapes but this one's like a hypacrosaur. If it calls louldly, it's probably colorful too , like modern parrots.

Fourth is a ceratopsian, another dinosaur with a precursor to the modern bird's beak; some paleontologists suspect an unrecorded ceratops fossil gave rise to the griffin legend. I needed 3 object slots for a triceratops head, with no slots left for a tail, which bothers me. Do you think I should make this one a female and use a long skirt to imply that the tail is hidden?

Fifth isn't a true dinosaur but a pterosaur. Okay, not really, because I can't do wings without adding limbs. Pteradactyls lacked a tail like a bird and instead had a crest on the head for lateral stability. With forelimbs evolved into wings, they used their hindlimbs to grip, so I left this one barefoot. They were scavengers, so I think that suits Dampierre's style; don't you agree Le Bello?
Raptor.png
Sauropod.png
Duckbill.png
Ceratops.png
Dino Pterasaur.png

With these designs, the interface between the bird feathers on the neck and torso garments may need a disguise, hence the duckbill's fur. You can't see it in these views, but I used an amulet for the raptor for a problem in front and a sticker to widen the neck of the triceratops' shirt for a problem in back.

Sorry, I can't think of a way to represent Ankylosaurus or Stegosaurus. -GEF

old stuff

Gatsu, thanks for sharing, made me immensely happy to see you drop by !

I already wrote some comments on your Elephant in your thread back then but... :

This Elephant is the most brilliant use of the shoulder kitty i have ever seen, the theme is strong, this was a jaw dropper back then because i had never seen an elephant CAS before and this one was an instant classic for me because of, well, the perfect head build (i saw Chobek's later on but yours is more photorealistic, which is more my stuff).

The Lizardmare is technically very easy for you to pull off, but nevertheless a fun find and incredibly well executed in terms of colors and the addition of the turtle shells to mimic scales / dried magma is excellent.

The Panda is very whimsical as well (kudos for the antennas), and one of your CAS that also struck me silly and inspired my versions of Po (and no i don't own the tekken panda gear so i had to find my own special way to do them)

I never saw that chrono trigger owl warrior and don't know the original version, but it is damn cool, shares some familiarity with my gahoo'le warriors, the only gripe i have with it is the color scheme somehow feels a tad bland/unform to me (but since this is a recreation, an art you excel at, for sure it is 100% accurate)

PLEASE DO SOME NEW STUFF, I'D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH !

The rest i'll save for your thread and your future creations...your War is brilliant, i tried once, and failed miserably, you got the pointers just right, and the face/mask build is awesome (the haircut in the second version i like best though)

My alltime favourite of yours is probably Wrath (in the apocalypse contest back then).

now, may i ask a question in return : which ones of my CAS (if any ;o) do YOU love ?

Chobek, nice job on the lizard man; I especially like the use of batwings as a tail, so I tried my own. Alighnment's a chore! I used Oprah's style because she leans forward in a way where the tail sticks out straighter and would be useful for balance. You've reminded me that birds evolved from dinosaurs, so the bird head can be used as the basis for a variety of dinosaur-inspired characters, like this ceratops.

Aristocratops !
Funny Gef, funny !

1- I never saw that chrono trigger owl warrior and don't know the original version, but it is damn cool, shares some familiarity with my gahoo'le warriors, the only gripe i have with it is the color scheme somehow feels a tad bland/unform to me (but since this is a recreation, an art you excel at, for sure it is 100% accurate)

2- now, may i ask a question in return : which ones of my CAS (if any ;o) do YOU love ?

1-
cronos%2B1.2.jpg

soulcaliburl.png

2- The top hat volture get my preference, has chara design logic behind it.
It's not just about animal hybrid just to do one, the animal iconic "role", the undertaker look and the skull sword all toghether create a chara design. Also the death theme and the head vivid pink allow the rest be all black and white,withouth left a "poor" feeling.
The xmas deer probably will be my second choice,is expressive and it create atmosphere, wich probably was the purpose.
Jerry is a straight clean work

About others
Chobek's pig is the first thing ever come to mind when i think at his works. It contain all i dislike about a CaS (not being "soulcaliburish" as style, and blood, wich usually is more a murrican games thing) BUT is just too perfect as a whole to don't cause istant win. DAT mad eyes

Gef's hyena thing (gnole?) and tengu crow are other two good examples of chara design. The Tengu may be still improved working on textures, but the pieces choice is perfect.
The gnole is in a strange angle so is kinda hard judge,but for what i can see seem work well. I totally approve the weapon choice,very fitting.

Gef's hyena thing (gnole?)...

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm not sure you can establish an "official" English spelling of a word from an ancient African language - Dungeons and Dragons says "gnoll" and Wikipedia says "gnole".

lol gef and jonny ... do you know what "gnole" means in french...means booze/bad or cheap alcohol and spells gnôle

very interesting comments Gatsu - perfect work now i look at the original drawing ... and about my CAS question i am just trying to guess if you have been lurking in my other and main thread (recently concluded) and if not you are most welcome to have a look...ill gladly reopen it if i can start a design or editor tech discussion there like this post - let alone get or share some tips.

door is always open for you

Bump - I took another stab at dinosaurs, above.

Your dinosaur do-over is magnificent...especially the new second and third one.
You might wanna try to experiment with other patterns than the bump map scales to do the skin, like dotted patterns, or the ones i used on my skelvantes for instance, for different effects.

As always, i love your R&D comments and dinosaur naming.
BTW, isn't the proper name StegOsaurus ?

Back