Anti Setsuka

lol. I'm tempted to make that my avatar. But seriously, back to the topic. She is much more safe then a layer of plastic. I can never seem to get enough advantage or "momentum" as people are calling it to mount a good offense. 6K is nice, but it pushes too far out and doesn't give nearly enough advantage. And GI's merely give a slow fast mixup, which isn't necessarily in my favour.

She has few options for mixups and the lows she has are slow or rely on JFs. Her throws are great, though her command throw leaves a little to be desired since it relies on a difficult timed follow up to get it to deal more damage than a regular throw (if you use 22A+B, A, I think it deals roughly the same damage as a B+G throw. JF Umbrella deals more damage).

Other than that, she's pretty solid. High damage, great punishment, does well at dictating the pace and range of the fight, exceptional throw distance and damage, very fast, very safe.

There's a reason that some people make the argument that she's S class.

Di said it pretty much all of it.

Another thing is that her mid range mix ups are not great. There is a gap in her coverage where she is out of throw/1A range but too close for the effective range of 11A. In that range Setsuka's only low that is a real threat is 2A+B, which can be trained to block on reaction.

Some match ups like Voldo are very good at pushing setsuka out into that little pocket, forcing setsuka to either back step, side step, or run in. Matchups like that are especially hard if the opponent is patient.

. exceptional throw distance .

i never rlly understood y ppl say that ,is ti rlly that better than say for arguments sake sophi or Rock.

Also for that matter who has bad throw range well except for amy.(and im saying that seeing she is so much smaller in size)

How to fight against Setsuka?

Stay safe > she's one of the best punisher in the game.
Don't whiff > she has a very good range.
Don't try to use moves when at disadvantage > her CH tools are very good (I recently put more 6K in my game, and god, that move is fucking awesome, same speed as a 2A, 65 dmg on counter, hard to punish, and it somewhat tracks upclose).
Don't duck > she has a lot of good mids, even if she throws you 36000 times don't try to duck, just break throws.
Don't understimate her lows > while visible on reaction, most people can't block it 100% of the time, even some player with a very good defense. 11A is one of the move I abuse (IMO it's a totally spamable stuff).

I have way more success with 11A than with 1A : 1) because it has great range and it's antistep 2) because it's slow (preventing GI happy opponent to get a good timing, or step happy opponent, opponent has to use step~G to beat it allowing you to throw more since throws catch step~G) 3) because it's a great TC used at a disadvantage. 4) even at advantage it somewhat SUPER TC against some mid moves (X's 44B, Mitsu's 4B, ...) 5) it can be used with the 236 stance, making it kinda hard to block on reaction, since opponents tends to focus against mid/throw after the stance. It also gives 11A a bit of extra range.

I am one of the people who say that she is S class.

Ziplog bag was hillarious for me... (I know late)

Anyways, I don't see a weakness. She's just so safe. If she turtles, what are you going to do? And don't say GI and hope it hits, because she can also punish that too.

If you you do get her into that mid range level, she can step back or push you out as well. 4A shuts down any closer range game, and I HATE WITH A PASSION 33b.

I gotta ask: Can you turtle against her and get away with it?

my_rage_face.jpg

So far we have: Only use safe moves. Fear her lows. Fear her throws. Don't duck. She'll get you at any range. Don't attempt to punish. Don't GI. Srsly. You can't turtle either. AgB breaks in 8, 3B, aB and 11B in 10, 2A+B in 11. Etc.

CF is kinda a joke in SC as for now, apart from Voldo, I can't see a character who can CF in a serious match.
Setsuka's CF stuff is good since nearly all her CF moves are spamable, but honestly you won't get a CF unless you go for it at the very begining, and it's always a bad strategy to focus on CF at ANY moment, it makes your game predictible and you'll most likely lose that way.
Cf in a serious match with Setsuka is possible, but that means you got successfull GIs.

Turtling against her is a pretty good solution IMO, it's most likely when you get her to make the more mistakes. Setsuka is more of a defensive character, she's just happy to be attacked.

I play ShenRei on a regular basis. Here's what I've gathered so far...

• There is little reason to duck except when blocking 2A+B and 11A on sight. Eating a couple B+K strings taught me that. I've blocked his 1A: A: A, but it feels like it's more on anticipation than actual reaction. Learn to sight see 2A+B and 11A.

• 33B can be stepped to either side. I prefer her right, which, if I recall correctly, is her weaker side.

• The final 33B from combos like non-CH 33B, bA, 33B can be teched to Setsuka's right.

• Punish her hard when she gives you the opportunity (i.e. blocked Umbrella, blocked 1AA, etc.). This requires testing and frame research to determine the best punisher for your character.

• Find a counter for 4A. I get the impression that Sets players prefer to fight from a certain distance. 4A is one of her main tools to create space while still attacking.

• Pay attention to what your Setsuka opponent is using to create space besides 4A (i.e. 1B:B, 2A, WS K, etc.). Counter accordingly.

• NEVER duck when Setsuka's back is to the edge. Respect that B+K RO.

• So far I haven't found a reason to sleep on the ground when in range of 1B:B, like after her 2A+B, 22A+BA combo. 1B:B WILL hit you if you lay there. You can't roll away from it. Just get up and block it and pray the Sets player screws up so you can punish.

• Don't try and punish 1B prematurely. Respect that really delayed looking second hit from the JF and take what you can get if the JF is missed.

For general stuff, that's about all I can think of for now.

Anti Setsuka thread in Setsuka forum.

I always find these threads annoying for some reason.

Must resist the urge to close...

To counter her, I generaly use Lizardman, his 1B is prety good to hit her most unsafe move and I type to make a crawl rampage or use the 44A or 44K ! ^^'

Looks like Hajime basically nailed a lot of the basics of anti-Sets. Main thing I know is to use 2K to break up her momentum at times. Depending on your character's 2K speed (range?), you should be able to force her to defend 2K after moves that leave her at -8 or -9 on block... something like that.

Like if you block 33B or 1B:B she can't TJ or interrupt your 2K she has to block/GI it. And don't let her 66A discourage you from stepping to her back side. Other than that I still have to figure stuff out.

Back