Argument In Favor of Lizardman (SCVI)

Lizardman is officially a Soul Chronicle NPC

2018-10-13_2024.png

So early copies of the game are out... or rather, they have been out for a while now. We have several (more than two) weapon models for lizardmen in and number of new moves (as well as several from SC1-2), as well as some balance adjustments for the legacy attacks of his. Aeon Calcos himself has also been spotted in official art and in-game art as what seems to be the Lizardman Chief/Elder, sporting a modified version of his SC4 outfit that is NOT available to CaS lizardmen.

So... what the hell is going on here? He's in, but he isn't? Nobody found his unlock yet. His moveset and weapons are in, as well as his design which is specifically not a CaS one. Is it a DLC tease? A waste of assets? Not available until the day 1 patch? A difficult unlock ala SC2? They've been allowing assets related to him to be showcased for a while with no word on his status. It's so bizarre and poorly handled for a legacy character.

EDIT:
I'd also like to say, if he's DLC this will be an incredibly poor move on Namco's part. This version of Lizardman is mostly based on Sophitia, and while he does have enough unique properties to justify his inclusion, he does NOT have enough to justify being sold as DLC in the season pass for full price.

We also have 3 upcoming DLC characters past Tira. The silhouettes were male male female, with one of those three being a guest character. If Aeon is one of the men, that means 1 male, and 1 female, with one of them not being a returning character. If the guest is female, it would mean we get Aeon and Hwang (or less likely Rock). If the guest is male, we get only ONE of either Cassandra, Setsuka, or Hilde. Needless to say, a lot of people are going to be left out in the cold here no matter which way it swings and they're gonna be pretty not happy over their slot being given to a clone.

Last edited:
Maybe they didn't complete work on Lizardman, but cobbled together what they had, used Sophitia's moves to fill in the rest and used it in the game purely for NPC representation (so Lizardman wasn't doing crotch-to-face grabs in the story). Perhaps he'll be finished and released--in a more distinctive form--as DLC?

I know folks who don't think Lizardman is DLC worthy would have a fit, but for me it'd be far better than not having him at all, or selling him as a near-clone of Sophitia.

Feels like wishful thinking though. Wishful thinking about a game that hasn't been terribly kind to such notions.

Maybe they didn't complete work on Lizardman, but cobbled together what they had, used Sophitia's moves to fill in the rest and used it in the game purely for NPC representation (so Lizardman wasn't doing crotch-to-face grabs in the story). Perhaps he'll be finished and released--in a more distinctive form--as DLC?

I know folks who don't think Lizardman is DLC worthy would have a fit, but for me it'd be far better than not having him at all, or selling him as a near-clone of Sophitia.

Feels like wishful thinking though. Wishful thinking about a game that hasn't been terribly kind to such notions.
Yeah. At first I was just expecting a CaS style, then... there's the Aeon design that you specifically can't make in character creation. And there's like four weapon models for the handaxes in the base game. There's SC1/2 lizardman fans that would appreciate a similar version of him returning, myself included, so if it's just there but UNPLAYABLE that's such a stupid waste of assets. Especially since they already have the precedent for clones on the base roster, Inferno being a far more egregious example.

Sorry for the double post, but I've recently learned there are several (around 2) Chronicles of the Soul missions seemingly not accessible in copies of SC6 at the moment. It roughly aligns with the amount of locked CSS slots. To my knowledge, these are in existing character stories, not DLC. The only known unlockable character is Inferno, also available via Chronicles of the Soul. Are they... really doing a day 1 patch? They have things they still want to hide from those with early copies? Lizardman seems the most likely for this, but... the entire thing sounds so strange.

DpjvG-YW4AANx57.png

Could anyone else who's had extensive hands on chime in and confirm any of this?

As a slight follow-up for those not reading the main thread, he is 100% confirmed to not be playable or unlockable in any way in the base game.

Lizardman's CPU (technically named "lesser Lizardman" in game stuff) being playable due hackz. Fluffy Quack notes he doesn't have many moves and that many inputs don't make anything happen at all. He has Sophitia's CE but doesn't connect (so it never starts).

Additionally, over GameFAQs someone who has posted claiming to have found the main character folders notes there are 23 and one is Lizardman's (and not the lesser variant). Maybe he was indeed intended at one point. Seeing how Night and Sieg differ now that I can play the game, I could totally see him in with Sophie too.

It more or less seems like they ran out of money or time to complete Aeon and left a somewhat generic lizardman SC2 style moveset in the game on NPCs until they'd complete Aeon as a DLC character using his SC3 / SC4 moveset.

Edit: Just watched that mod video, they even have SC3 / SC4 taunt on it.

Last edited:
Just a couple of interesting notes about Aeon.

1) You do actually fight against him once in Libra of Soul, if you choose to take the "risky" route during chapter 3:
There's nothing particularly special about this encounter, really, just that it actually is the Aeon that you're fighting here, for certain, even if his name is still just "Lizardman". He's just using the same Iron Hatchet as a lot of generic Lizardmen use, while a few of them use Lunatic instead. He's got his SoulCalibur IV armor, like some of the other generic Lizardmen do, and it's breakable, just like any other armor.

2) There is a third weapon that is unused in Lesser Lizardman's arsenal:
WzDAhGj.jpg

125KVEB.jpg
The weapons are off by one byte, but FF = Iron Hatchet, 00 = Lunatic, and 01 = Meat on the Bone. 02, 03, 04, and 05 (as well as 06 and 07, I checked, just in case) are all blank, so there's no more weapons than these three in the game as of right now, but I do find it interesting that there is a third weapon when no Lizardmen in either mode use it, to my knowledge, they only use Iron Hatchet or Lunatic.

Just food for thought. Might mean nothing, might be fuel for the idea that he'll come as a full character as DLC. We'll see.

If Cassandra and/or Setsuka get confirmed as DLC, where will they fit in Soul Chronicle though?

You can look to Talim for ideas on that. Some inconsequential SCII prequel stuff, most likely.

Although that's if DLC characters do get Soul Chronicles. I don't know that Tira having one is proof enough, given that she was clearly developed alongside the base roster.

You can look to Talim for ideas on that. Some inconsequential SCII prequel stuff, most likely.

Although that's if DLC characters do get Soul Chronicles. I don't know that Tira having one is proof enough, given that she was clearly developed alongside the base roster.
And I'll be certain that if Aeon does have his own Soul Chronicle, it'll probably be set between the time Fygul Cestemus caught him and the time he and Astaroth joined Nightmare.

And I'll be certain that if Aeon does have his own Soul Chronicle, it'll probably be set between the time Fygul Cestemus caught him and the time he and Astaroth joined Nightmare.

Actually, I feel like you might have hit upon another of the reasons why Aeon was delayed from a base game release (not that there is any shortage): Aeon is difficult to introduce into the Soul Chronicle formula in the same fashion as most of the base game characters. Most of the chronicle narratives begin with a kind of re-vamp of the given character's classical origin story. That would be pretty difficult for Aeon, as it would require him to be playable as a human if you weren't going to start the story immediately after his transformation. I suppose you could (after-all Cervantes and Nightmare are already their recognizable post-SCI selves at the opening of their narratives) but it just feels like it would be a stilted opening in Lizzie's case.

But the problem is that you couldn't give human Aeon his Lizardman move set for those first few chapters, because so much of that moveset (following SCI) is really based in his animalistic qualities. It would be a real clash. I suppose you could give him Sophie or Cassie's style easily enough, but that would feel a bit odd in its own right. It will be interesting to see how much, if any, Soul Chronicle story Amy and Cassandra receive. I'm gonna guess they are going to get at least a few chapters, but if they don't, that's yet more fuel for speculation that Aeon/Lizardman will appear in a prospective season 2, since, if they don't intend on dropping a SC narrative for every character, it will be that much easier to slip him into the game. But mind you, I think he's all but a lock regardless. I'd be very surprised if he is not the first or second character announced for a season 2.

Back