Astaroth Anti...

REy

[08] Mercenary
vs. Taki Posession

With Asta seriously, how do I stop a Taki in possession especially possession sidewalk , other than standing there and letting my soul gauge get eaten up. I realize possession AA is pretty much uninterruptable but what about possession sidewalk, etc??

vs. Taki Posession

At least with regards to Possession A, A aren't they both high? A quick 66K might slip under it?
This is just theory, because I haven't had to deal with Taki much...

vs. Taki Posession

IMO PO A is better to block as opposed to try to interrupt. For the most part, there's nothing Asta can do. 66K might be okay, I guess. As for punishing sidestep, use 22AA if you can spot it early, otherwise I'd go for one of the low K's. For experimentation, maybe even 6B+K? Really Asta is kinda stuck if she can get that close. You want her out as fast as possible, for as long as possible, when dealing with anyone close range. Easier said than done, but to be cliche, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of corrections.

vs. Taki Posession

I don't know if this works all the time, but I've grabbed Taki during her possession sidestep, while fighting a very good Taki player online.

vs. Taki Posession

You could give 2,2,:A:/8,8:A: a shot.
Or maybe a quick low grab would work if you see it coming.
If they abuse :A::A: then just set up for a Guard Impact.
Astaroth's whole game against quick opponents is spacing and timing.
You gotta have a solid defensive game and good working knowledge of every other character in the game to make things work to your favor.

In all honesties, with his high damage/high ring-out potential throw setups, and throw mix-up game, You should have people scared to get anywhere near you.

vs. Taki Posession

No, cage means you get low grabs and wake up instead. (Not much options there for Asta, but whatever.)

Who do you have the hardest time against?

I've found that the following give me the worst headaches for my Astaroth when in the hands of good opponents:

Sophitia - I just seem to get some kind of idiotic mind-block against her and get caught out by her surprisingly long reaching and quick attacks. Not to mention her high/low game.

Cervantes - I'm not scared of his teleports. But instead his stun-combos. OMG. If someone knows how to use these it is nasty.

Mitsurugi - When up close and personal I find that I don't have the tools or speed to get me out of trouble.

While finding it very tough, I like playing very good players who use the above because I need to practice to get better.

Maxi, Taki, and Mitsu. Maxi because he pretty much never stops attacking and stuffs pretty much anything I try to throw out, he's tough to GI because he's somewhat unpredictable, I don't know his strings or anything. Taki for pretty much the same reason. Mitsu not so much. I pretty much just keep blocking low after getting knocked down and hope he goes for one soon instead of a much of mids.

just the sisters for me. god i hate those two...

sophie especially.

Combatting Speed?

I looked around a bit for some advice on this but I couldn't really find any, so I decided to start a new thread about a subject that I feel is of quite some importance to Astaroth players. How To Combat Speed?

I've recently begun playing some online and have a record of roughly 40-45 wins and 15-20 losses in unranked standard versus matches. Against opponents that are either used to playing other types of Astaroth or not really used to his moves at all I can usually pull of a secure victory. Even if I am being pummelled at the start of the match, one opening is all it takes to dish out damage enough to vaporize a good 60-70% chunk of their health bar.

However, when I end up against someone with a quicker character (pretty much the rest of the cast. The quicker // the worse though.) that knows how and when to block my attacks (especially the :6::K:, my prime tool for getting them out of my face.) I just can't seem to get back up on my feet.

A typical sequence goes like this..
I'm facing a Mitsurugi that blocked my initial barrage of launchers and sweeps and is now pushing me up against a wall using a variety of A's, B's and K's. As soon as I find a small window I try to use my :6::K:. He casually blocks it and I'm now open for yet more punishment. I try to Guard Impact as good as I can but it does not seem to help me much. I get no time to try and throw my opponent and slowly but surely my life bar is being drained.

Are there any other attacks and tricks I can attempt to pull off to get me out of a situation like the above? Perhaps it would be worth mentioning that I'm using Ashlotte instead of Astaroth but I feel that the same strategies should apply to them both.

Combatting Speed?

at times when they are expecting 6K, just grab them. make them scared and then eventually they'll duck and when they duck, u are winning :) after A,As or B,Bs u can interrupt with 6K too.

Combatting Speed?

ashlotte is a super handicap, you lose throw range etc
and isnt tourney legal anyways

Combatting Speed?

There's also 6A,B. While not a mid, it is one of Asta's fastest moves and a NCC. This also sets up nicely for 2B+K,A+G. Mixing up that, the knee and throws, and he already has some nice up close tools.

Combatting Speed?

firstly use astaroth and not ashlotte as she has seriously gimped range which is asta really needs... she even has less grab range which is crippling imo.

i tend to use 4b and 66k to interupt, the latter used for spacing too. i try to save 6k for when i know its definitely going to CH. GI's are useful for people who use really fast predictable strings. throws are seriously good as astas grab range is amazing, a lot of people are wide open after you block an attack. once you start making them duck you will have a load more mind games to play with too.

amy. now that i have started seeing her stuff and can respond and block, shes destroying my soul guage stupidly fast :o

Combatting Speed?

Well,

I used the advice that you gave me in this thread and they work nice as alternatives to the rather straightforward :6::K:... but above all, I tried using Astaroth instead of Ashlotte and wow! The difference is huge indeed. Throws become alot more viable when my arms have the length of a regular attack!

I think that I might go with Astaroth as my "main" for now, to better get the hang of playing as him. I'll save Ashlotte for either special occasions or when I just feel like a change of appearance. :)

Back