Astaroth Q&A/Discussion Thread

Probably the best person to offer perspective on this is Xephukai. I may be mistaken but I'm under the impression that he dropped Astaroth in favor of Pyrrha/Pat for similar reasons to those you stated, i.e. not because Astaroth is fundamentally a worse character, but because he's a character of extremes rather than utility and balance. He is pigeonholed into fighting in the way that was intended for him: taking advantage of his high damage, zoning/CH fishing, and throw game, while Pyrrha is capable of playing multiple roles.

6B can give Astaroth leeway for fighting outside of his intended niche, similar to how Maxi's 6A+B gives Maxi some breathing room when he's not in the process of working stance/string pressure, but its primary purpose is to augment the intended playstyle instead of giving full-fledged alternatives. Returning to the Pyrrha comparison, the necessity of adaptation at the highest echelons of play seem to conflict with Astaroth's normatively strong moveset, preventing him from excelling in the way Pyrrha has. It's admittedly an apples/oranges comparison, but the way we (as a playerbase) currently play SCV indicates the metagame has a preference for oranges, so to speak.

My personal advice would be to go with your instincts. If the character doesn't feel right, it may be more productive to learn a different character than try to rewire how your brain interprets SCV mechanically to better fit a preferred aesthetic choice.

So, I've recently decided to try Astaroth. In my early impressions so far...all my rounds seem to go to extremes. I can go from perfecting to being perfected, in fact it's happened several times already in 4 matches. I have no problem dealing damage once I have the momentum, but when I'm under pressure I rarely get an attack in.

Any advice for this admittedly vague issue?

So, I've recently decided to try Astaroth. In my early impressions so far...all my rounds seem to go to extremes. I can go from perfecting to being perfected, in fact it's happened several times already in 4 matches. I have no problem dealing damage once I have the momentum, but when I'm under pressure I rarely get an attack in.

Any advice for this admittedly vague issue?

Put your pressure on from people trying to advance on you. 6B and 4B are both pretty good for stopping people on the way in if they are fast and committed to hitting you. 44A and 44A] are good for hesitant/more careful approachers.
66K] at range or after knockdowns gives you a good bit of block pressure/guessing game when you make them block it, though people can JG it.

If people get in on you dont be scared to 66kBE or just GI them to get them off you, it can be an uphill struggle if you just let people keep in your face- just creating that space can turn the match back to your favour. Also if you just block something, aslong as the opponent doesnt have the advantage (you should learn which attacks give advantage on block) you can use the disadvantage to get something out of your own slower normals, use your grabs out of block, 4b and 4b] variations, 6b will kill people who try to push buttons when they are at disadvantage, and 6k counterhit gives you a free ground grab, leaving you point blank and at +frames ready to wreck people. He has alright defensive options, difficult to utilise but all very rewarding.

Put your pressure on from people trying to advance on you. 6B and 4B are both pretty good for stopping people on the way in if they are fast and committed to hitting you. 44A and 44A] are good for hesitant/more careful approachers.
66K] at range or after knockdowns gives you a good bit of block pressure/guessing game when you make them block it, though people can JG it.

If people get in on you dont be scared to 66kBE or just GI them to get them off you, it can be an uphill struggle if you just let people keep in your face- just creating that space can turn the match back to your favour. Also if you just block something, aslong as the opponent doesnt have the advantage (you should learn which attacks give advantage on block) you can use the disadvantage to get something out of your own slower normals, use your grabs out of block, 4b and 4b] variations, 6b will kill people who try to push buttons when they are at disadvantage, and 6k counterhit gives you a free ground grab, leaving you point blank and at +frames ready to wreck people. He has alright defensive options, difficult to utilise but all very rewarding.

Thanks for the reply. I've admittedly been letting people get in way too easily. Especially Natsu, she makes me cry when playing Astaroth. I'll give your advice a try and will undoubtedly be back in a day or 2 with more problems.

How to input Astaroth JF Throw in SC5? I can do it consistently in SC4 (Press 4 and throw at the same time) but I cannot use that formula in SC5 anymore. So what is the condition for JF throw in SC5 ?

How to input Astaroth JF Throw in SC5? I can do it consistently in SC4 (Press 4 and throw at the same time) but I cannot use that formula in SC5 anymore. So what is the condition for JF throw in SC5 ?
It should be the exact same. 63214:A+G/B+G I'm not sure if speed has anything to do with it as I tend to do it rather quickly out of habit anyways. From what I've seen it's probably one of the easiest JFs in the game to pull off.

*Oh and keep in mind you can't buffer it into anything.

It should be the exact same. 63214:A+G/B+G I'm not sure if speed has anything to do with it as I tend to do it rather quickly out of habit anyways. From what I've seen it's probably one of the easiest JFs in the game to pull off.
28:B+G is probably the easiest though :D

I need some help when inputting 63214A+G and 63214B+G on PS3 pad. Are there any tips I can get? I oftn end up only hitting 1 number, so I end up getting a random 2A+G or 3A+G, when I wanted a wall combo with 63214B+G

I am actually not a Astaroth player, but I play against an exceptionally good one and I have no idea on how to face him. Anyone have any pointers or tips AGAINST Astaroth?

im not used to the number so ill use what looks like arrows instead ( sorry D: )
the timing is strict but you can also >>B, ^^b+A+B+K , v^A+B (titan bomb) it has an insane amount of damage usually of 152 and is pretty stylish in my opinion.

maybe if i post a combo video of my own maybe you guys can get some ideas, or maybe i could get some ideas as well

Back