Astaroth vs. Nightmare

How long have you played the beloved golem?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scyle

[09] Warrior
Hallo my fellow Rothians, I approach you on this day of my daughter's wedding to ask...

HOW THE HELL DO I BEAT NIGHTMARE?!

My problem is this; I've gotten into countless arguments with other players over losing to Nightmare. (I swear to god he's the best character) When I fight him I feel I have to stay on my toes to even break even. I've destroyed Natsu, Viola, Siegfried, Algol... But I can barely touch Nightmare. His moves seem super safe, he has valuable mix up options that end in vicious combos, and it just really bothers me. Is he truly a godlike character? I mean those who play him say he sucks but those who play against him are overpowered. Am I too aggressive? Is he too good?

I'd just like a discussion but if we can make it, I'd love to bring some great Astaroth players and Nightmares into a room to see exactly what's going on. My Astaroth is a fierce competitor but against Nightmare he's a chump. Halps a brotha out?

Lol, really?
Asta vs Night is ridiculous, Night cannot play as he would do to any other char, learn the match, is ubber easy, maybe because I play with Omega, but the match is def in Asta's side.

You can punish these with 66B at almost any distance: 22AA, 3AA, NSS or whatever the stance is named, NSS K, NSS bA.

3B from Night is not a very good idea vs Astaroth, at least not to be used freely, Asta FC 3K will reach to Asta at very long distance.

Asta's grabs reach more than Nights, and does at least the double of damge.

Asta has more range and more damage overall.

Now, if you are a pro, you won't punish 22AA with 66B, you will block the first hit and then use 66K BE, so you will get a lot of damage, after a couple of those, I've seen no Night player using it as freely as they would do normally.
Also, 33B BE can be punished with 66K BE.

If you are losing the match is because of the player or the lack of knowledge.

Actually, any time Nightmare goes into NSS, Asta's fc3K beats all options iirc.

I'm not sure of that 44B into NSS has good frames for Night, it would be a mixup, also I would check Night's WR B, since you are standing, tough is not as good as 44B.

I would definitely have to see this in action...

Psn is xKirisuteGomenxX. Bring some Roths, bring some Mares. LRN ME 2 FOOTBALL.

I'm not sure of that 44B into NSS has good frames for Night, it would be a mixup, also I would check Night's WR B, since you are standing, tough is not as good as 44B.

Just tested. Asta's WR K beats NSS A+B/A/B in all situations that put Asta in a crouching position. However, NSS a:B and NSS K beats our WR K.

FC 3K beats 4/5 options, and it loses to NSS A+B (trades though under certain circumstances).

66K BE beats ALL NSS options under all circumstances.

Just tested. Asta's WR K beats NSS A+B/A/B in all situations that put Asta in a crouching position. However, NSS a:B and NSS K beats our WR K.

FC 3K beats 4/5 options, and it loses to NSS A+B (trades though under certain circumstances).

Lot of that was gibberish..............................
And this is after studying the Key. D;

So it is basically back to R/P/S again?

I'm down for some Astaroth smashing, just pm me on PSN or friend me and we can get a game. :D

thats not actually true, NSS A should GI the bullrush.

3AA sthe optimal response to BE Bullrush, I used it and 22_88B on Idlemind when he would Bullrush last night.

NSS A has no auto-GI, I think the move you're talking about is GS A, and the transition from NSS should be too slow to enable it to counter bullrush.

correct; many of the times i'm playing a NM player, i'm beginning to whore out 66[K] instead because you're still tech-crouching. then again...it's still experimenting.

I definitely feel NM has the advantage in this matchup, but that could be because I play a few good Astaroth's, and main NM, so I can sort of feel what's safe, and all that shenanigans.

I love it when an Astaroth tries to 66K (and its variations) me down, you Asta's need to know that NM's 3AA completely shuts down Bullrush, even the BE. And it doesn't have the risk that sidestep punish has due to that damn ghost hitbox.
In other words, never bullrush a decent Nightmare from anything longer than kissing distance, we will 3AA you every time. Unless of course you used it as a whiff punish.

@Zekki- Exactly and he is able to effectively zone just as well as Astaroth can. He fucks up a lot of his backstep if one plays intelligently enough and he some good WR options for when he ducks an Asty grab.

Back