Basic Notations and Terminology

Newbie Silencer

Could something on Step G be added here?

From what I understand, Step G is just going into sidestep and canceling with G right? I heard something about Step 2G, does that mean going into sidestep and canceling into crouch? Also, if one were to say that a move can be stepped to the left, does it refer to a player's left or the character's left?

Newbie Silencer

Also, if one were to say that a move can be stepped to the left, does it refer to a player's left or the character's left?

It means the character that performs the action's left.

Example.

If Sieg uses an attack that can be S.S left you go round to Sieg's left, go to his right and you get hit.

Newbie Silencer

It means the character that performs the action's left.

Example.

If Sieg uses an attack that can be S.S left you go round to Sieg's left, go to his right and you get hit.
Actually I think's it's usually the other way around, but I don't think there's really a definite rule on it. Real example: Basic strat against Raph is to step left. That's step to your left, not Raph's.

^^^Right on about Step G.

Newbie Silencer

Some amazing information is in this thread and it lets me actually use some of the even crazier info in the other threads. Thanks for deciding to update it and help the rest of us idiots out guys, it is really appreciated.

You're welcome. And it's still not complete. I've asked people to continue updating it for SC4, but I guess everybody on here are a bunch of lazy bastards.

Newbie Silencer

Actually I think's it's usually the other way around, but I don't think there's really a definite rule on it. Real example: Basic strat against Raph is to step left. That's step to your left, not Raph's.

If it is I stand corrected and just misinterperated the info.

Newbie Silencer

hey all, I'm in a debate with a friend as to what the definition of combo is. I told him it's where all moves after the first are guaranteed hits, so long as the first hit is landed. He claims that combos also include a list of moves after moves and that they can be interrupted (broken by a guard in between hits). I told him that what he's including is just called a "string of moves". Please help shed some light on the situation...The more people who respond the better, he's very stubborn as to how many and what sources I have.

Newbie Silencer

If not all hits are guaranteed it's not a combo. But a string.
It's handled like that everywhere on this forum.
Try to post a shakeable stun string as a combo and you'll get flamed.

Newbie Silencer

Okay, so…I was observing some tech trap threads for a few characters & noticed the notation "UP!" being used several times. At the risk of sounding like a jackass, um…That indicates the opponent waking up, right? I just need a third-party confirmation to be confident that it's exactly what I've been thinking it was all this time ^^"

Thanks =P

~Kurenai~

Newbie Silencer

This thread really shut me up, and stopped me from scratching my head in confusion looking at other threads.

Thank you!

iWS

How do you perform an iWS? Are there shortcut ways to perform this like in Tekken? (It's 236_214 in Tekken). I read the newbie silencer thread but no information was found regarding how to perform an iWS. Do you have to actually press 2G_G2 then the move?

The move I want to do is iWS with Nightmare

Newbie Silencer

iWS is done by doing 2G then letting go of 2 and G then pressing A B or K

for example

2G ~ A is the input for iWS A

~= neutral on dpad

Newbie Silencer

idk if this has been covered or not but can someone mind defining & explaining:

Tech Traps:

Punishing:

Shakeable:

Whiffs:

wake up:

Newbie Silencer

An attack whiffs when it fails to come into physical contact with the opponent. If it didn't hit and wasn't GIed or guarded, it whiffed. Whiffs often occur because the attack came from too far away or the opponent sidestepped, but there can be other reasons.

A stun is shakeable if you can recover from it quicker by inputting a number of directions (usually 5) than by not putting in those directions. Most shakeable stuns will leave you standing after recovery if opponent doesnt hit you while true stuns usually leave you downed on the ground, but there are exceptions.

Whiff punishment is when an opponent's attack whiffs and you hit them before they recover. Block Punishment, also just sometimes called punishment, is when an attack is blocked that leaves the opponent open to retaliation with no ability to prevent it and such a retaliation ensues. Whether an attack can be block punished depends on the attack itself and what attacks the blocking character has at their disposal.

Teching (or as the game calls it "ukemi") is a quick get up that can be performed after the knockdown caused by some attacks or after being hit while grounded. In these situations one presses guard and possibly a direction and springs to their feet quickly. In the process however there is a window where the character is considered by the game standing, but unable to block. A tech trap is landing an inescapable hit on someone because they teched, generally by hitting someone in the aforementioned window.

Newbie Silencer

Just edited the top post. Removed some notations that aren't used in SC. Added some that weren't listed. Will proofread again later.

Back