Basic Q&A Thread

Are there any tutorials for all this frame talk ? :D
Since I'm new I would really like to know what it all stands for and how it works for me to get a better understanding of the game and to progress a bit further :)

Are there any video's people would recommend that give a good overview of each character?
If you go to each character's Soul Arena here, there will be a thread devoted to videos of that specific character:
http://8wayrun.com/categories/soulcalibur-v-soul-arenas.86/

And if you want to see some vids on character combos, here's a decent place to start (made from the game's official guide Future Press):
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCBAB14EA183B953C&feature=plcp

Hope this helps & good luck settling in on a character if you haven't already.

Thanks, I've been looking few a few. Though it seems you rarely see introductions to characters. Seeing combos and tech traps is only a fraction of learning a character and don't give an insight into what they're like to play.

I've been looking through some high level play and gotten some ideas of what's interesting though.

Are there any video's people would recommend that give a good overview of each character?

Actually, I could make this. Just like a general overview of what each character is like. Not super specific, just things like playstyle, difficulty, what they excel at, quirks, issues, etc. Like a reference for newer players. I love things that just give general information without getting too specific. You've inspired me sir.

Actually, I could make this. Just like a general overview of what each character is like. Not super specific, just things like playstyle, difficulty, what they excel at, quirks, issues, etc. Like a reference for newer players. I love things that just give general information without getting too specific. You've inspired me sir.
Difficulty could be two things: Execution reliance(what people usually refer to when using this word), and the difficulty to win a match with the character when another person knows the match up.

Difficulty could be to things: Execution reliance(what people usually refer to when using this word), and the difficulty to win a match with the character when another person knows the match up.

Thank you. A good example would be Aeon. Simple execution, but you're in for a hell of a time if they know the matchup. However his juggling combos can be a little difficult for beginner players.

That would be a great thing to have. Every fighting game should have things like this just so new players can get an idea of what to expect from a char and any hidden tricks that may highlight the value of a char to a player who might otherwise never know.

I can't figure out how to stun. When I strike, my attacks either get blocked or I completely knock the opponent down [which isn't always the preferred thing]. How do I stun and punish? I seem to get punished a lot and I can't figure out how they do it.

I can't figure out how to stun. When I strike, my attacks either get blocked or I completely knock the opponent down [which isn't always the preferred thing]. How do I stun and punish? I seem to get punished a lot and I can't figure out how they do it.
It depends on the move. Certain moves have a stun on Normal Hit like Phyrra's stab. Other moves only stun on Counter Hit like Leixia's 1A. You just have to either go through your characters movelist on normal hit and counter hit to see how properties change or stay the same between the different scenarios.

http://calibur.8wayrun.com/wiki/index/
For punishing you can look at the Wiki (which coincidentally tells you what moves stun and under which condition) to learn your characters frames. Once you have those semi memorized then you can move on to characters that give you a problem and learn how to punish them.

PS3:
-more tournament level players(whenever they get online at least)
-major/national tournaments played on the console
-infamously unstable network(more dropped matches)
-screenshot(1080p) and replay upload features(480p)

360:
-supposedly more players overall
-more stable network

Back