Basic Q&A Thread

if a forum user has elected to display their online ID (PSN/XBL) next to their name, does that mean they are okay with total randoms adding them? i.e., is it prudent to add people whose IDs you merely stumbled across here? or is some sort of prior interaction warranted?

thx guise

It's always better to get to know the person first, but failing that just leave a message explaining who you are on 8WR and most people will add you. It's frustrating getting randoms and having to ask them who they are.

I'm new guys, how do you do the release grab ? like continuesly. I see people do it
You either mash A or B. There are two kinds of basic throws in this game, A+G and B+G. Mashing A will break A+G and mashing B will break B+G throws.

So you have to guess which ones to break unless you can predict which kind of throw your opponent is going to use.

I'm new guys, how do you do the release grab ? like continuesly. I see people do it

saying "mash A or B" is not exactly correct. what you have to do is press, once, the attack button (A or B) that corresponds to the throw type (A+G or B+G) during a certain, small window before the the throw is actually activated. plain old A+G or B+G throws have a larger window in which they can be broken, while command throws, which require the input of directions along with A+G or B+G (e.g., Patroklos' 66B+G) have a smaller window in which they can be broken. certain throws, mainly CE throws (Astaroth and Ivy) are unbreakable, and can only be avoided by ducking or moving out of range.

hope that helps.

saying "mash A or B" is not exactly correct. what you have to do is press, once, the attack button (A or B) that corresponds to the throw type (A+G or B+G) during a certain, small window before the the throw is actually activated. plain old A+G or B+G throws have a larger window in which they can be broken, while command throws, which require the input of directions along with A+G or B+G (e.g., Patroklos' 66B+G) have a smaller window in which they can be broken. certain throws, mainly CE throws (Astaroth and Ivy) are unbreakable, and can only be avoided by ducking or moving out of range.

hope that helps.

thnx, yeah it does. But still i think this will be very hard to put in my playing style, you not only have to time it correctly you also have to know what kind of grab the opponent is grabbing me with, :/

haha unfortunately there's no way to know. you have a 50% chance of breaking a throw, unless you can anticipate what sort of throw your opponent is going to do based on their previous actions.

To predict which throw your opponent will use it helps to know the properties of the throws in your opponents arsenal.
For example throws that Ring You Out or wall splat.
Take Nightmares/Siegfrieds crouch throws:
Full Crouch A+G Rings out to the thrower's front.
FC B+G Rings out or wall splats to the throwers's back for some Nasty combos.
So depending on your placement in the ring you can break with A or B to minimize potential damage.

Some throws also do more damage than others so the opponent may favor them.
Or you might want to input the break for them anyway to minimize potential damage.

Brave Edge Throws are strong but require meter, so if your opponent has the meter he might go for the BE throw.

It also helps when you can recognize which throws your opponent uses successfully on you.
That way you may be able to see if your opponent favors a certain throw or has patterns.

You might also want to just keep out of their throw range via movement/pushback as much as possible,
if they can do really deadly throws like the unbreakable Critical Edge Throws mentioned above.

EDIT:
You can also duck throws.
It's not the wisest thing to duck in expectation of a throw because of damaging unreactable mids...BUT
IF you successfully duck a throw punish it as hard as you can. To discourage your opponent from using throws.
It depends on your character, but i think the window to punish them is about 20 frames minimum.
Nightmare for example has While Rising :(B):~ Night Side Stance :b-small:::A: which does a lot of damage. (58) And can Ring Out.
Some like ZWEI can even reverse RO the opponent for a missed throw.

Edit 2:
You can also evade throws via Tech crouch-, tech backstep- or tech jump-attacks.

Especially because of the evading attacks that can RO like Mitsu's :4::B: which almost every character has, it's very risky to use throws when with the back to the edge. Also for your opponent.

@Fleshmasher thnx that helps a lot for the understanding !

@voxanimus thnx too !

Btw, is there any known/common ps3 control settings that good ppl use to break the opponents throw with? like Square or triangle on R2 or L1 or w/e ...
?

If you play on a pad with a thumb, one tends to favor breaking throws with the button they rest their thumb on, usually A.
Note that pressing B+K will break B throws, so if you have a B+K bind, you can use it break B on a shoulder.

Would mashing A and the B+K bind at the same time give you a 50/50 chance, or does the game recognise that and lock you out? Generally I make a point of looking at the characters grabs to see which is most likely in a situation, but I'm curious.

Would mashing A and the B+K bind at the same time give you a 50/50 chance, or does the game recognise that and lock you out? Generally I make a point of looking at the characters grabs to see which is most likely in a situation, but I'm curious.
I'm pretty sure that the A+B+K input will register as A, there have been a few weird cases with the input doing whatever it wants though, in my experience .

The game has a multi-input hierarchy.

A --> B --> K

A+B registers as A for throw breaks, B+K for B, A+K for A, etc.
A+B+K is a special case as it doesn't consistently register as A for any given character, but does for most.

The game has a multi-input hierarchy.

A --> B --> K

A+B registers as A for throw breaks, B+K for B, A+K for A, etc.
A+B+K is a special case as it doesn't consistently register as A for any given character, but does for most.
For controller users, this is very helpful. Personally, I have L1 set to B+K and R1 set to A+B, so when holding guard I'll mash either button to break the respective grab and still have my right thumb to hold down guard without any problems.

The fact that A+B+K will break A grabs is just something to just keep in mind. If your opponent enjoys guard impacts, simply b-grab more when you would expect one to show up.

My question is: how do you code in the spoiler in your posts?
I like the idea of a clean threadbut i dont know how to do it yet..

Thanks

Back