Basic Q&A Thread

Throws can't be ticked, because there are no "cancel into" properties on moves as you know them in 2d games. You just have to range properly.

-Idle

ok, so not too different from what I've been doing.
any ticks for them tharr throws?
Lol - spot the Street Fighter player XD
In Soul, you can't really tick into throws and they are breakable on reaction even if it's a 50:50 gamble so they are more of a tactic to cause your opponent to duck at disadvantage really. Judging by your above comment I'd better also point out that Soul Calibur does NOT accept the existence of invulnerability frames, even on wakeup.

edit: so yeah, mindgames don't really happen from normals in this. what about movements? like generally dashing in for a low and then hitting high. something like that.
You can still get some mindgames from normals, but they feel very different. Remember, because everything in the game has slow start up except GI and guarding, opponent generally cannot react quickly to what you have done with offensive options.

Similar to what you might be used to in a 2d fighter because strings in 3d are usually uninterruptable in a fashion similar to doing a combination of fast, + on block normals in 2d, just "on-rails" because you can't decide what the string is. You can cut short a string to hope for a negative reaction from the opponent giving you the opportunity to reposition or mix-up or what have you. The simplest example is doing only B of a BB string, then using the time opponent gives you for blocking as though the BB had been forthcoming to step back or throw. I wouldn't know how to tell you to do this with nightmare however and his BB is not a good example of this because B is - enough on block that opponent can wait to see you stop and still proceed forward...

Also remember that lows/throws(which can be thought of as largely the same) and mids (like overheads) abound and are bread and butter instead of rarities, so if you are guarding in place you are automatically put in a 50/50 if opponent is close enough to you.

/edit/ You can effectively increase your throw range at the cost of speed by cancelling a forward dash into throw, that is about as close to a tick throw as you're going to get. The upsides are the amount of slow down and increase in range you get is variable and under your control and you can "tick" into things other than your throw(more or less everything). The downside as I understand it is that you add significantly more start-up by doing this than a standard tick throw in a 2d.

I'm not really the best 2d player so I'll try not to say too much more and create confusion.

ok, idk if this is the right place to post this but i dont come to this site much because i dont like the community very well but i have a question. When you are doing an offline tournament is it required to use a fight stick? ive only been at a few local gamestop tournaments and friends ones because i live in the middle of no where but i want to travel out and compete with my Zasalamel. The only problem is...I HATE FIGHTSTICKS... cant use them, i react a ton faster with a controller. Mabye because im left handed and it feels natural? idk. i use the joystick btw not d-pad. If someone could respond back with a honest answer that would be great.thanks.
NMSxDarkrhythm

Just a question, how I desactivate reply email notification? I deselected some options in the profile but still I recive an email each time someone replys to a thread where I posted.

Just a question, how I desactivate reply email notification? I deselected some options in the profile but still I recive an email each time someone replys to a thread where I posted.

In your account under Preferences, try to make sure that Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply and Receive email notifications of replies is unchecked.

Quick question.... I know to have your own costum title underneath avatar, you have to be a premium user. But is there a certain post limit that gives you that ability too, because I've seen some others that aren't PU with their own CT. Unless they've been PU before?

Thanks in advance.

If you were a PU before, and it expires, you can keep your last custom title. There is no way to reach it via post count.

-Idle

This isn't related to gameplay but how do you PM somebody on this site? I must be really stupid but I can't figure out how…

Again, not about gameplay, but whatever...

Iv been seeing people with their XBL and PSN gamertag under their name and avatar on the site. I looked around and I just couldnt figure out how to do that, or even if I can do it. Some help on the subject?

Again, not about gameplay, but whatever...

Iv been seeing people with their XBL and PSN gamertag under their name and avatar on the site. I looked around and I just couldnt figure out how to do that, or even if I can do it. Some help on the subject?

Contact Details ----> Playstation/XboxLive

Don't I didn't know either, I was curious but didn't think it was that big a deal to ask about.
haha yea its not that big of a deal, I just got so frustrated cause I knew it was there and I couldnt manage to find it. Like looking for sunglasses when they are right on top of your head.

Back