Basic Q&A Thread

As far as i know, only the french have an almost complete tierlist for SCIV.

It´s pretty accurate imo, only minor things about some characters that i would change.

Ive been looking around the site but no luck ;/.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/official-discussion-for-sc4-tier-list-and-character-guides.4566/

First post is pretty much on point; but to summarize:

Top: Amy/Setsuka/Voldo/Ivy/Kilik (Hilde)
Near Top: Cervantes/Xianghua/Mitsurugi/Astaroth/Sophitia/Yoshimitsu/Vader (Algol)
Mid: Lizardman/Apprentice/Cassandra
Lower Mid-Low tier: Everyone Else
Yoda Tier: Yoda (He is really so bad he is in his own tier of being bad)

-Idle

Hey, I have two questions. :)

1. Does the game only save when you changed/achieved something? Because I was one hour in practice mode earlier today and the playtime was still at 1 hour instead of 2 hours, when I started the game again.

2. Is it useful to change button settings? Or is type A just fine? Sorry stupid question but I just ask because do you really need one button for A+B+K (taunt?).

Answers:
1. I believe that the game play time is based on actual fighting, not practising.
2. It depends on what character you use/what you think is the best for you. Personally I have G listed as L1 and A+G as my R1 and X is B+G. So it is really up to you. :) And no, you don't really need the 'taunt' button because you can just press K+G to taunt anyway.

Answers:
1. I believe that the game play time is based on actual fighting, not practising.
2. It depends on what character you use/what you think is the best for you. Personally I have G listed as L1 and A+G as my R1 and X is B+G. So it is really up to you. :) And no, you don't really need the 'taunt' button because you can just press K+G to taunt anyway.

Thanks for your answers. :)
I use Ivy and I really want to become better with her, so I thought it would be good to change some buttons. I have A+K for example on L1 now, because I can better switch the stance then. And I binded G to R2. I don't know, I prefer the block button up there. :)

I use Ivy and I really want to become better with her, so I thought it would be good to change some buttons. I have A+K for example on L1 now, because I can better switch the stance then. And I binded G to R2. I don't know, I prefer the block button up there. :)
It is there for your preference. Use it wisely :)

If you're using a pad to play Ivy, it's important to have a bind set to A+K and B+K so that you can switch or lock states at will on the shoulders. I use the analogy of a gear system to define her states - B+K = downshift, A+K = Upshift. If you want to get more comfortable with Ivy, its not a a bad way to think about it.
Finally, many of Ivy's moves that technically force a stance transition are a little bit too good (WP 6B+K 2_8, CL 1BB+K, SW 2A+K etc.) and if you learn to stance lock as mentioned above, you can spam them at will. Hope that helps, and good luck with Ivy, bro. =)

That is correct. Personally, I don't bind B+K because I think it's easy enough to press that on pad with your thumb. I use one of the shoulder buttons for an additional G, which helps me with Just Ukemi and [G]9B (and online throw break as well).

It's also possible to spam moves that force stance transition w/o a stance lock, but for you have to learn how long stance cooldown lasts.

If you're using a pad to play Ivy, it's important to have a bind set to A+K and B+K so that you can switch or lock states at will on the shoulders. I use the analogy of a gear system to define her states - B+K = downshift, A+K = Upshift. If you want to get more comfortable with Ivy, its not a a bad way to think about it.
Finally, many of Ivy's moves that technically force a stance transition are a little bit too good (WP 6B+K 2_8, CL 1BB+K, SW 2A+K etc.) and if you learn to stance lock as mentioned above, you can spam them at will. Hope that helps, and good luck with Ivy, bro. =)

Yes I use a pad (PS3) and it's funny that you say that, because before I started to practise some combos with her today, I thought about my button config. And like you said I have L1 for A+K now and also L2 for A+B.
But like Ring said, I felt like I don't really need to bind B+K because the thumb can easily press these 2 buttons. :)
Thanks for help. :)

That is correct. Personally, I don't bind B+K because I think it's easy enough to press that on pad with your thumb. I use one of the shoulder buttons for an additional G, which helps me with Just Ukemi and [G]9B (and online throw break as well).

It's also possible to spam moves that force stance transition w/o a stance lock, but for you have to learn how long stance cooldown lasts.

Yeah the thumb can do it. :)
Thanks.

Btw I read that the Switch Button is kinda useless for multiplayer and only necessary for singleplayer (story mode), is that correct?
And is there any move in the game that require A+B+K?
A+B+K+G = critical finish right?

Oh sorry, so many questions again lol.

Btw I read that the Switch Button is kinda useless for multiplayer and only necessary for singleplayer (story mode), is that correct?
And is there any move in the game that require A+B+K?
A+B+K+G = critical finish right?

Oh sorry, so many questions again lol.

As long as you're accepting to help then the good folks here will be more than willing to answer your questions.

1. Switch is pretty much useless in multiplayer.

2.A+B+K can be used for a few stance specific moves. Mitsu has an aGI out of his stance for example. You'd best bind that and learn it though, because a+b+k is going to be more important in sc5.

3.Yes critical finish could be done with A+B and K+G binds and you press em together to save you bound buttons.

As long as you're accepting to help then the good folks here will be more than willing to answer your questions.

1. Switch is pretty much useless in multiplayer.

2.A+B+K can be used for a few stance specific moves. Mitsu has an aGI out of his stance for example. You'd best bind that and learn it though, because a+b+k is going to be more important in sc5.

3.Yes critical finish could be done with A+B and K+G binds and you press em together to save you bound buttons.

Ok, got it. Thank you. :)

First of all, im sorry that i make two threads in Soul Calibur V sub-forum, but moved to soul calibur casual one. I want to ask how should i differ the soul calibur v forum and soul calibur casualn one?

There's two forums -

"Multi" is for main discussion of anything related to gameplay wise.

"Casusal" is for discussion of stuff thats not related to gameplay i.e. Story, Character Creation, and such

Noob question: I've been noticing that more experienced players often "break" my stun combos. They just magically escape from a stun. How do they do this?

They shake the stun: an example is Siegfried's CH 6K, or Taki POS K.
To do it, simply hit six directional inputs - if you're using an analogue stick, simply 360 it. =)

Back