Basic Q&A Thread

I'm super new to the series as a whole. I've played some in the arcades, of course, but usually it's just circling the control stick wildly and mashing attack buttons. Obviously, that's not flying well. I'm trying to learn new characters, but my current online record is something like 0/20. I'm not good, apparently.

Who's a good character to start out with? I started using Pyrrha but she's really fun or sticking with me, so I thought I'd branch out. Used Liexia a bit. Her moveset is fun but I'm not very good at dodging attacks or blocking, so the fact that I don't do much damage is annoying because I lack the ability to be nimble right now.

I guess I could use Nightmare or Aeon or someone else, but they don't seem that fun. The ones that seem fun, unfortunately, are the ones that require much higher skill than I currently have. (Viola, Tira, Voldo, Raphael, etc.)

So my question, I guess, is should I find an easier character and learn the basics and join the masses in xbox live who don't know what they're doing, or should I pick a character I want to learn and then stick to it until I get good, and then get into online to practice further and hone my skills?

Fuck this game is hard. >:(

I'd say try and learn the system like get used to side stepping (VERY IMPORTANT) and getting used to the movement, crouching, jumping and applying critical edges. Play through some offline modes to get used to blocking, some basic combos and strings and applying the system mechanics.

Really, stick with whatever character you like and you should notice that you get better.

Ah. Makes sense, thanks.

I've been playing Dark Souls like crazy for the last four months or so, so it's really hard to get used to the way this game handles. Blocks and sidesteps confuse me. It'll take time, I guess.

ok uh this is a very noobish question to me...since ive been playing for awhile now...i just never care about terms no matter what game or activity im in...anyway wth is a tech and a tech trap? O: *prepares to dodge rotten tomatoes*

ok uh this is a very noobish question to me...since ive been playing for awhile now...i just never care about terms no matter what game or activity im in...anyway wth is a tech and a tech trap? O: *prepares to dodge rotten tomatoes*

Teching is simply pressing guard and a direction when you hit the ground to stand back up faster. (Called something like ukemi or something in game). Which leaves tech trapping to essentially prevent teching in a certain direction. This is accomplished by having your opponent able to hit you when you stand up essentially trapping you to tech a certain way or not at all... Sorry if I explained that wrong or funny, I'm not used to talking about tech, I just do it.

Wasn't sure where to ask this.

In tournaments, how long are you allowed to rest in between matches in a set?

Three years ago I went to two tournaments, and I never really stopped to catch my breath when I lost, so the next match I lost harder.

I see a lot of people on stream go right into a rematch without resting or taking deep breaths or taking a moment to rethink strategy or anything like that. Is there a reason for that?

I'm sure they're isn't a specific time limit. What some people do is go to character select to gain some chillax time when they lose. Really it comes down to the tournament organiser but I'm sure they are fine with breathing time.

I need some tips or suggestion on how to punish better.

I would attribute this to my lack of understanding frame data in this game, SF i'm good, but in this no idea.

im having troubles figureing out what ~ means in the middle of a combo notation. ex WRbk~k if someone could help me that would be awesome thanks in advance

im having troubles figureing out what ~ means in the middle of a combo notation. ex WRbk~k if someone could help me that would be awesome thanks in advance

The tilde (~) is actually just another way to represent slide inputs. Meaning you press them smoothly and faster than normal. You may also see it in this notation too :kK: or kK.

i believe it means wait a moment

Wait a moment is usually the < symbol.

Very VERY VERY noobish question:

I see this game's notation isn't the usual (B F U D) due to it being a 3d fighter.Can someone give me a quick rundown on the notations?

I know the basic ones like ABKG (duh) but concerning directional inpouts I see numbers is used.Slightly confusing since the fighter I normally play it's the opposite(letters are directional , numbers are attack buttons).

Very VERY VERY noobish question:

I see this game's notation isn't the usual (B F U D) due to it being a 3d fighter.Can someone give me a quick rundown on the notations?

I know the basic ones like ABKG (duh) but concerning directional inpouts I see numbers is used.Slightly confusing since the fighter I normally play it's the opposite(letters are directional , numbers are attack buttons).

The best way to get a quick rundown on the notations is to read the Basic Notations and Terminology thread

Hey I got a random question about this site. What is the size limit for Signature Images? (I couldn't find any mention of it in any rules or anything) I'm going to become a Premium Supporter on Friday and I'd like to have my image ready ahead of time. Thanks.

I'm going to try to ask this question here, well there is a bit of shpeal before it.

I have tried playing through the entire cast and have not found a style which fits me, to me it feels like the characters are all the same, just look differently. I'm pretty new to Soul Caliber and just recently picked up SCV, so I really don't know their styles and what not.

What I can say is what I like to do. I like to punish moves my opponents make (that's why I like counter supers). I like to bide my time and wait a bit before choosing the time to retaliate at my opponent. What characters do well in that regard?

which are the best lows in the game?

against which char should i consider blocking low sometimes?

Mitsurugi 2kb (BE) is probably the best low in the game, Cervy 3A gets an honorable mention.

The traditional m/l mixup is less applicable in SC due to guard damage and CH catching of horizontals vs sidestep. The function of blocking low is generally to avoid throw mixups from powerful characters (Astaroth) or to guess under highs and punish rather than to block-lows-and-punish.

SC5 specifically punishes passivity on defense by it's very design. The "wait and punish" style doesn't work very well in this game as punishes don't do a ton of damage unless they are launch punishes (which tend to come out of Guard Bursting). Moves recover very well on whiff, too.

There are characters that punish well, but they have to induce mistakes to punish rather than wait or the opponent to kill themselves. Pyrrha (236B), Alpha Patroklos (2143a:B) and Natsu (a:6) all have very strong punishment moves. Maxi super is also very fast and a strong punish.

Mitsurugi 2kb (BE) is probably the best low in the game, Cervy 3A gets an honorable mention.

The traditional m/l mixup is less applicable in SC due to guard damage and CH catching of horizontals vs sidestep. The function of blocking low is generally to avoid throw mixups from powerful characters (Astaroth) or to guess under highs and punish rather than to block-lows-and-punish.

SC5 specifically punishes passivity on defense by it's very design. The "wait and punish" style doesn't work very well in this game as punishes don't do a ton of damage unless they are launch punishes (which tend to come out of Guard Bursting). Moves recover very well on whiff, too.

There are characters that punish well, but they have to induce mistakes to punish rather than wait or the opponent to kill themselves. Pyrrha (236B), Alpha Patroklos (2143a:B) and Natsu (a:6) all have very strong punishment moves. Maxi super is also very fast and a strong punish.

I have tried Pyrrha Omega, and she seems to have good punishment tools. Although being a boss character does not make her well liked among people I play with. She seems balanced enough, and I kind of like her.

Back