Best 1p/2p Design

You can tell the posts that are purely subjective (my favourite costume is X/Y) versus those that attempt to explain why the design of a particular piece of costume was groundbreaking/impressive. This thread is not entirely lost, you can still give your input.

I've always felt that 1p costumes were always >>> 2p costumes in terms of being iconic, (2p costumes tended to look more generic like a CAS) but there were a few 2p costumes that impressed me just because the design was pretty cool.
SC2 nightmare 2p, SC2 Ivy's 2p, SC4 Hilde 2p, SC5 nightmare 2p are good examples.
I feel your are right. It does seem like the 1p outfits were always more iconic and better then the 2p outfits. But like you, I have a few that I really liked and thought stood out like...

SC2 Ivy's 2p, SC3 Tira's 2p, SC5 Zwei's 2p, & SC5 Pat's 2p. :)

I've always felt that 1p costumes were always >>> 2p costumes in terms of being iconic
Absolutely

1p is made to be the official look
It set his iconic chara design, his main colors, typical elements and motif
It create the character, specially at his/her first appearance

2p can be a lot of things,usually
-variation of 1p theme
-another angle at the character
-alternate version (usually story-related)
-a non-fight time design
-full crazy because who give a shit, 1p is the serious one
-complementary (as design)
-complementary (as colors)
-keep some kind of tradition of 1p/2p trought chapters
-something very fitting, but not marketable enough to be 1p

About SCV don't want build up a mammoth post, since every chara design should get a deep analysis (positive or negative) to be something legit and not "i like herp because derp"

But irony of the thing of first 2 post is that Basic Pat is by far the most interessing, deep and well made new entry design... it got charisma, balanced detail, balanced line, ethnic double path, and a lot a lot a lot

...and as strange it can sound being so similar,under the design pov Alpha Pat absolutely ruin that, with few disatrous moves that drop it from rare case of good SCV new entry to herp wanna cool marketing kidz derp
Aka how to morph a very well planned and stylish SC design idea into straight GG/BB level shit

And of course you have post #1 and #2 exalting Alpha as the best design (lol) with one even pointing that it's so much bettah than Basic one

Kinda depressing, it become clear how even with such great chara designers and good intentions (SCV fixed some chara design serious shit,specially from the ugly SCIV), SC is destined to be slave of know nothing john snow kidz with no design knowledge and shit tastes

And this is why compared to the past SCV's new entries are weak as fuck and drop the ambition of create actual new designs, is hard create when a fat boss is screaming in your ear sell sell sell

The overall quality of new entries (as chara design of course) is collapsing chapter after chapter, as great ones SCV just got Basic Pat and a missed one in Xiba (if only 3d model was loyal to the very good concept artwork), others are a bunch of notgoodnotbad or straight facepalm (Zwei 1p is probably top3/top5 in worse ChDes in SC history)

And the reason is'nt talent, SC artists have a lot of it (more than many other FG chara designers)
Again, is all about market
And threads that start with 1 AlphaPat and 2 AlphaPat are marketing fatties wet dream

-in b4 random kidz start blah blah about viola zwei and movesetz like if have any relevance-

Of course the 2P look can be more interesting by virtue of them having more freedom - They don't need to retain the classic, iconic look of the 1P.

It's like, and I realise this is a weird as heck analogy, Mario and Luigi. Mario can't emote much or do anything too different because he's the big star, the main icon. If they make him do something too extreme it can alienate people, and you don't want to do that.

Luigi however is NOT the big main superstar, and thus he can fill far more interesting niches than his elder brother.

So in that sense the 2P outfits have more artistic license. Food for thought or something I guess.

For 1P, I'd probably say my favorite is Viola. It looks the most interesting IMO.

For 2P, definitely Pyrrha. I don't know what I like so much about it, other than that it looks very pretty. Maybe the colors? Idk.

(Zwei 1p is probably top3/top5 in worse ChDes in SC history)
Zwei's main things in his 1P is this collar + giant moon tattoo on his chest. The gloves/bootsts and pants to me look like something for CAS, but thats no biggie. I don't think its an exceptionally strong design by itself, but he does have a giant wolf monster that is pretty interesting. I'm not a fan of the twilight bare chest fighter, but I have to be realistic and accept that there are a lot of people out there who are into this (to replace the normally bare chested yun seong who is absent in SC5).

And threads that start with 1 AlphaPat and 2 AlphaPat are marketing fatties wet dream
we know the Dev team started with regular Patroklus' design then removed the bobcat corpse on his shoulders + recolour to give us Alpha Pat. Sometimes more is less, but black as a main colour with blue/silver doesn't look that great on a main protagonist.

For 2P, definitely Pyrrha. I don't know what I like so much about it, other than that it looks very pretty. Maybe the colors? Idk.
Big fan of purple I see. How do you feel about SCII 2P astaroth ?

Hilde's 1p. even though it's really similar to SC4's i still love it! my favorite 2p by far is voldo's though. what's up with maxi and having pretty much the same 2p every game? i mean i like it, but...i dunno gimme SC3 maxi's 1p back.

Big fan of purple I see. How do you feel about SCII 2P astaroth ?
Lol, that skin brings back so many memories of my cousin completely killing me with his Astaroth in the 2P skin when I was just a wee kid xD
Though I don't really like that 2P skin much, but the again I may be biased lol.
I like the colors of Pyrrha 2P because of how they go together. Black, pink/purple, and gold are colors that I find go really nice together.

While is ever sure cringing doom let peoples pretend they know shit about character design, having #1 reply and #2 reply killing any hope for the thread with a super fast two hit combo before it can get 5 post old, still impressed me

Good job 8wr, good job

I was disappointed too.
I suppose it's all opinions, but I feel Patroklos' 1ps are both pretty poor. The chain and scale coat barely makes sense and beyond that it's quite basic, with little to reflect his personality beyond the colours. That dead cat on standard Pat's coat is a bit of a contrast to the rest and gives it a little something, but Alpha doesn't even have that. It's boring at best.

Anyway, for me... well, I'm struggling to pick out any... and I'm struggling to think of a reason why I actually like them. Thank fuck for character creation.

1p) ...I dont like any really... Does Ashlotte count? Because Ashlotte if so. A fresh idea that would've been great had it had it's own style.
2p) I want to say Cassandra's 2p from SC3... I really like it, but I'm not sure it suits her. I like Sophitia's too, but on balance I think Ivy's is better... Suits her, looks great.

I'm going to list of each character and type what I think of their 1p and 2p this time around. It's in a spoiler because it's a long post.

1P's

Patroklos- To be honest, I think his 1P is very generic. It doesn't really catch my eye and I don't understand why the scales were included. The lynx is another thing that I don't understand. I get that the costume is trying to look interesting, but I think it fails to do so. The colors aren't so bad. I prefer them to his Alpha look. Since this is his first game, I'm hoping they do better with his look in the next game. I hope that lynx is not going to be appearing on his costume anymore. :sc5pat1:

Z.W.E.I- I'll get straight to the point. His 1P is very, very bland to me. It reminds me too much of a twilightish kind of thing. Also, it looks pretty generic. I do like the colors, being a fan of purple and all, but I'm sure they could have done much better. I do like his moon tattoo though, I hope it's there for a reason.:sc5zwe1:

Leixia- I think that her 1P is one of the better looking costumes in this game. It's nicely detailed and the colors aren't so bad. They match her personality in my opinon. ( Although, I do prefer to recolor her since her outfit is fun to recolor):sc5lei1:

Natsu- I'm glad they decided to make Natsu look pretty different than her master. I think her outfit it's pretty fun and much more exciting than Taki's outfits. Sure, it looks like it screams "Naruto" or it looks like a CaS, but to me it's not that bad. . It could be better but it's still not that bad. I wish her long nails from the concept art were kept in.:sc5nat1:

Raphael- He looks pretty cool and somewhat mysterious underneath that hat. The color combination is not really to my fancy but that's alright. I do think that they went kinda crazy with the bat symbols. We get it, we know he's a vampire! :sc5rap1:

Viola: What can I say about the lovely Viola? Her 1P is fantastic. I love the color scheme and I like the detail. The only thing I can complain is how much different her in-game model looks compared to her art version. Other than that I can't complain. ( I also like the Amy-ish looking references.):sc5vio1:

Pyrrha- I like her outfit honestly. I like how her fashion sense is a mishmash of Sophitia and Cassandra. The colors are nice and the outfit suits her shy personality. It's a simple outfit but it's nice. :sc5pyr1:

I do not claim to be some sort of expert on fashion, these are all my opinions!

Also,
-full crazy because who give a shit, 1p is the serious one

images.jpg
SC4 Ivy agrees.

To be honest though, I do agree with you. The new character designs are pretty weak, save a few.
It irks me that some of the character designs hardly resemble the art versions in-game. ( cough Viola and Zwei cough) I'm sure they'll be done better in the next game.

Back