Best Albums of 2008

The Landslide

[13] Hero
There was a thread similar to this on Caliburforums but it was dedicated to 2007. I think it would be cool to get everybody's impressions of the best albums that they heard in 2008, despite it being a completely terrible year for music. I'd say lets make it a top 5, and if you could please add something other than an empty list then it would make me a happy music freak.

1. One Kind Favor by B.B. King
Ok I love B.B. King and I think what he has done for Blues can't be quantified, but this CD is simply awesome. I'll be the first to admit that it may not be better than his older stuff, but the fact that the 83 year old crone can come out with his 24th studio album and STILL make my jaw drop is absolutely insane.

2. The Bedlam in Goliath by The Mars Volta
This album came out in January or February and I STILL can't get it out of my head. Long tracks are the norm for these guys, but no one makes modern prog this catchy and weird like Volta. The first half of the CD in particular is outstanding.

3. Watershed by Opeth
How can a death metal band sound so serene sometimes? Opening track Coil may be the best song on the album.

4. Rising Down by The Roots
Amazing tracks all around. The Roots still have it.

5. Tha Carter III by Lil' Wayne

JUST FUCKING KIDDING, I TRY TO LISTEN TO GOOD MUSIC

5. Death Magnetic by Metallica

HAHA GOT YOU AGAIN

5. 01011001 by Ayreon
The most original prog group (well, its one guy with six trillion guest musicians) I have ever heard, and I have no idea how he keeps this refreshing and original but he does.

Ok so 2008 was ass. I mean, I have two prog bands in my top 5 and I generally hate prog. You're turn.

1. Third by Portishead - Well worth the wait. Best of 2008.

2. The Hawk Is Howling by Mogwai - Best post-rock album by any band since 2006.

3. Rook by Shearwater - A modern classic.

4. Chinese Democracy by Gun N' Roses - Album wasn't spectacular, but at least it came out.

Bedlam in Goliath had some great tracks, and the rest of it was unlistenable. If Pridgen is going to be part of the band, he needs to learn that just hitting every drum and cymbal as fast as he can is not progressive.

Not too much that interested me in '08.

Death Magnetic by Metallica WAS good. Only the elitist audiophiles and people who don't like Metallica thought it sucked. I personally loved it. Problem with these threads is nobody likes everything other people like.

Which is perfectly fine. I only like 3 of the 8 tracks on there though. If you liked Death Magnetic then who the hell is going to tell you it is bad? You act as if my opinion means anything. If it did, I would be terrified.

I didn't direct my post at you.

My actual list, in no particular order:

Indestructible, Disturbed

Death Magnetic, Metallica

Appeal to Reason, Rise Against

Live at Milton Keynes, Linkin Park

That's all I can think of and those are the only albums I bought last year.

Seems more like a favourite albums of the year topic, not a best albums of the year. Big difference.

I get you page. I couldn't even begin to tell you the top albums of the year. I love The Marz Volta for instance, but I haven't even heard The Bedlam in Goliath yet. I've spent too little thime in music this year.

Well, I'm just saying best /= favourite. I have no problems with opinions, though.

Page: Damnit, you're right. How do I change the title? I haven't made a thread at this place yet and I don't see the option.

Seems more like a favourite albums of the year topic, not a best albums of the year. Big difference.

burn.gif

Sick Burn.

1. underOATH - Lost in the Sound of Separation

2. Norma Jean - The Anti Mother

3. A Skylit Drive - Wires...and the Concept of Breathing

4. Bring Me The Horizon - Suicide Season

5. Dance Gavin Dance - Dance Gavin Dance

6. Emarosa - Relativity

7. Sky Eats Airplane - Sky Eats Airplane

Hahaha, nah. I just did a google image search and thought this diagram would make a good sick burn. You should see the one Chuck posted in the Philly/SJ thread. That guy got FUCKED UP!

And a question for Chuck: Hey man, I was suprised to see you say you hated prog rock. I thought you said you liked it when we were having that discussion at the mall near Doug's? Maybe I heard you wrong or something, no big deal. Just curious.

And a question for Chuck: Hey man, I was suprised to see you say you hated prog rock. I thought you said you liked it when we were having that discussion at the mall near Doug's? Maybe I heard you wrong or something, no big deal. Just curious.

Modern prog drives me insane sometimes, but the classic prog we were discussing is awesome. King Crimson and the like.

Back