Blackbird: Web Browser for African Americans

Freaky

[09] Warrior
I know race is a touchy subject but I saw this article today:

http://gizmodo.com/5105846/blackbir...irefox-is-too-navajo-for-black-web-surfers?35

I don't understand this. I'm not black, so maybe I'm out of the loop, but I don't see the point. What can this web browser offer to blacks that can't be found just as easily with regular Firefox or google?

The article says it "comes preloaded with a bunch of bookmarks that may be of interest to the black community." Who's deciding what the interests of the black community are? I think that does nothing but support the antiquated stereotypes that people are working to rid this world of. You ever heard a white person qualify something as a "black interest"?

White person: "Hey black people are interested in basketball right?"
Anyone in the room: "You're racist."

Maybe it isn't as clear cut as that, but it just seems strange.

It also has a "Black Search" feature. So if you type in "books", do you only get books about black people or by black authors?

I don't want this to turn into a barn-burner, but it all seems very divisive and unnecessary to me. It feels like a step in the wrong direction when the internet is supposed to be a network for progressive ideas and where people can sort of forget social separation and live/interact outside of themselves and their groups.

Any thoughts?

lol, people that do this encourage racism. use the same damn browser as everyone else.

i'm really surprised that the tags haven't been hijacked yet. this is basically begging for it.

Yeah this is pretty serious, no handjob/jeff hardy tags needed. These people supposedly representing black interests are a major part of what's keeping the stereotypes intact.

It also has a "Black Search" feature. So if you type in "books", do you only get books about black people or by black authors?

It obviously reformats the Google page to have a black background instead of a white one.

Yeah this is pretty serious, no handjob/jeff hardy tags needed. These people supposedly representing black interests are a major part of what's keeping the stereotypes intact.

I think it's just because the people who go around posting those tags havent logged on yet, give it some time.

Anyway that web-browser sounds silly to me, at least on the surface.

Ok, so I thought it was just a big joke so I HAD to go to their website and download it.

So I run it, and it steals all my passwords and Credit Card information!!~~~

Haha JK.

It's basically firefox with a black skin and google search toolbar. Except instead of a regular google search, they have a Black version of google search. I searched for food.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/bunk3rk1ng/black.jpg

Also, when you type in a URL, it will show you URL's that you have been to as well as a pre loaded list of Universities, which is actually a pretty neat idea.

Lol, I can't believe someone beat me to it.

I was going to make this topic yesterday, but it slipped my mind.

I think it's just because the people who go around posting those tags havent logged on yet, give it some time.

Anyway that web-browser sounds silly to me, at least on the surface.

I'm definitely one of the people who've been posting jeff hardy as a tag, lol. Not the only one, though. Not doing it here.

The author of the article should have saw this for what is was which which is a rethemed version of Firefox with some bookmarks and maybe the default search engine changed instead of paying any attention to it but whatever.

Should I care about a browser that is supposedly marketed to Black people? No because I am sure that they are like me and never heard of it and will also pay no attention to it and I suggest you do the same, but it's no different from anything else that is marketed to Black people, but weird since it's a browser. WTF.

I guess it must comes with links to chicken joints and whatever other stereotypes you want to throw out there.

I find it retarded that someone would consider the colour of googles background to have anything to do with race.

Of all the black stereotypes, the one I will never understand is the fried chicken stereotype.

It's not black people who love fried chicken, it's every fucking person who enjoys meat. Fried chicken is fucking delicious.

I'm gonna start a new ethnic stereotype for a new generation.

Those damned, dirty chinamen. Always eatin' their cupcakes.

These people supposedly representing black interests are a major part of what's keeping the stereotypes intact.

So true.

Not only that, but this ignorant idea of adhering to the concept "black culture" is one of the biggest things preventing us as a society from moving forward and into true color-blindness in a racial sense. When you classify a group of people based on how they live and act (culture) and define them based on their outward appearance and skin color (black), THAT PERPETUATES RACISM. Adhering to the idea of "black culture" or "black interests" is self-profiling. When someone else who doesn't look like you then does the same thing to you, it's racism. It's an ignorant double standard at its worst, and it's perpetuating the very problem that it purports to empower people to rise above.

It's when we view skin color as anything more than an a visual identifier that we fail as a society and slide down the slippery slope of racism into the depths of a backward and degenerate world.

Back