Bushido Blade: Should it come back?

Oh wow, people remember this great game. I'd love if this game got a reboot with improved graphics and gameplay. I had this idea for a Modern Bushido Blade style type of game for awhile that would still have deathblows but also, areas with improvised weapons, hand to hand combat, a deep counter system, and a deep injury system, too bad no game company would be willing to put that much devotion to a fighting game these days. Seeing this thread makes me want to pop in my copy of Bushido Blade 2 right now lol.

Oh wow, people remember this great game. I'd love if this game got a reboot with improved graphics and gameplay. I had this idea for a Modern Bushido Blade style type of game for awhile that would still have deathblows but also, areas with improvised weapons, hand to hand combat, a deep counter system, and a deep injury system, too bad no game company would be willing to put that much devotion to a fighting game these days. Seeing this thread makes me want to pop in my copy of Bushido Blade 2 right now lol.
Hmm I prefered Bushido Blade 1 over 2.
1) Japanese voices were much better
2) Blood
3) The duels felt much more real, although yes the gameplay was much slower than 2.
4) Character select music was awesome

I don't know. Bushido Blade is one of the few games from my childhood that still holds up for me, even after the blanket of nostalgia clears. However, as much as I like Bushido Blade, and as much as my inner fanboy would want a new one, I don't want what I've had with the games thus far to be ruined by a new entry and possibly end up killing the franchise (like Bloody Roar *sigh*).

I also don't think that there's much of a market in the fighting game community for a new Bushido Blade. It'll be nothing to snag us driven by nostalgia, the people who buy all the new games, and the people who just want something different. Getting people to play a game is easy, but how do you plan to keep people playing it? Even unlockables and Skinner Box methods get old. The obvious answer would be "gameplay," but how would you go about doing that?

Bushido Blade is a very simple game, not that there's anything wrong with that, but with every fighting game nowadays being so ridiculously hyper and over the top, I doubt that many people would take the time and effort to play/effectively learn something that is basically the polar opposite of that.

Not to mention that because of said simplicity, the game will be near-impossible to balance, because once that magic character/weapon combo is found, you're fucking done. And even if you do patch it, there's always another to be found.

All I can really say is that maybe we should test the waters and get more people playing Deadliest Warrior:The Game: The Sequel for now, since it's doing a somewhat decent job of scratching that itch, and see what happens.

But who knows? If Mortal Kombat can come back in such a huge way, then there's still hope for Bushido Blade, yeah?

Then again; the fuck do I know, right?

I don't know. Bushido Blade is one of the few games from my childhood that still holds up for me, even after the blanket of nostalgia clears. However, as much as I like Bushido Blade, and as much as my inner fanboy would want a new one, I don't want what I've had with the games thus far to be ruined by a new entry and possibly end up killing the franchise (like Bloody Roar *sigh*).

I also don't think that there's much of a market in the fighting game community for a new Bushido Blade. It'll be nothing to snag us driven by nostalgia, the people who buy all the new games, and the people who just want something different. Getting people to play a game is easy, but how do you plan to keep people playing it? Even unlockables and Skinner Box methods get old. The obvious answer would be "gameplay," but how would you go about doing that?

Bushido Blade is a very simple game, not that there's anything wrong with that, but with every fighting game nowadays being so ridiculously hyper and over the top, I doubt that many people would take the time and effort to play/effectively learn something that is basically the polar opposite of that.

Not to mention that because of said simplicity, the game will be near-impossible to balance, because once that magic character/weapon combo is found, you're fucking done. And even if you do patch it, there's always another to be found.

All I can really say is that maybe we should test the waters and get more people playing Deadliest Warrior:The Game: The Sequel for now, since it's doing a somewhat decent job of scratching that itch, and see what happens.

But who knows? If Mortal Kombat can come back in such a huge way, then there's still hope for Bushido Blade, yeah?

Then again; the fuck do I know, right?

Games don't have to be complicated to be fun. Well then again, Onechanbara Bikini Zombie Slayers had terrible reviews from game sites like IGN due to being simple and repetitive (yet black ops and modern warfare 2 weren't?)
however I was surprised at how fun the game was when I tried it.
It all depends on reviewers bashing the game.

Games don't have to be complicated to be fun. Well then again, Onechanbara Bikini Zombie Slayers had terrible reviews from game sites like IGN due to being simple and repetitive (yet black ops and modern warfare 2 weren't?)
however I was surprised at how fun the game was when I tried it.
It all depends on reviewers bashing the game.

I never said the game needed to be complicated. One of the reasons I still I love Bushido Blade is because I don't have to deal with bullshit imputs. What I was saying is that the simpler a game is, the harder it is to program. Something is bound to get overlooked, and it'll just snowball from there.

Look. I love Bushido Blade. But I'd rather dig out my old PS1 to play it rather than a shoddy cash-in remake. Some games just belong in the past where they can be cherished.

Also, you should never use IGNorance as a valid source of information.

Maaaaaan Bushido Blade 2 was such a godlike game (I got both of those and Ehergeiz at the same time) Throwing weapons at people was always a hilarious way to win. I'd be down for a re-release

Probably one of the most difficult games I have ever played.

I would like to see Mikado return though. She was my favorite character.

Hey fellow fans of authentic sword combat my name is Ryan and this month I'm going to launch a Kickstarter for a new game that will finally continue the evolution of video game swordplay that was started all those years ago with the Bushido Blade series.

You'll know more soon enough but some quick details for now.

-Deeper combat. More stances, more moves, more defensive options, lots more..
The point of all these additions it to retain the realistic "one-hit-can-kill" gameplay
while adding more options to keep the fighting going a little longer if you learn the skills.
Sword fights are like chess games and we intend to push the genre that direction with tells, move modifiers and just more options in general to deal with your opponent and possibly recover from bad choices. Oh yeah and NO HEALTH BARS! (Kengo what were you thinking?)

-Various game modes. Obviously one on one duels are the heart of any good samurai game and we will certainly make that our priority focus.. but realistic sword combat games are few and far between so we want to fulfill a few more fantasies while we're at it.

A single player story that is structured around a wandering ronin going from place to place and encountering stories along the way.. this will play out with a farther camera view.. think of a 2D brawler like Final Fight or Double Dragon but with all the combat depth of the duel mode.

Additionally, if stretch goals are met, we'd like to include 4 player co-op stories and 4v4 team based competitive modes. Online is great but we're even more keen to have local multiplayer for all modes.

-Community Involvement. While I've dreamed about a game like this for a long time I know I'm not alone, so it is important to me to have a strong community involvement to ensure this game can become the best it can possibly be. We will launch an online forum, fb page, and twitter account and constantly interact with the community and take feedback to balance and grow this game. My commitment is rock solid and I see no reason why we shouldn't keep adding content for years to come.. I'm even open to one day turning the keys over the the community if other commitments ever get in the way of maintaining support.

Now this is where you come in. Kickstarter is great but so many games come and go without gaining enough attention to get funded.. so we need advocates to help spread the word and encourage people to check out the campaign. Please shoot us an e-mail to stay in the loop and perhaps you can make the difference needed ensure this campaign gets the attention it deserves.

contact {at} spo0khouse {dot} com

Last edited:
Man, Bushido Blade was one of the greatest game series back in PS1 times *_*

The concept of killing the opponent with one deadly attack was pretty nice and with a good guard and parry system it still should work these days. Maybe even competitive? Who knows...

Back