CaS Creations (11 originals, 1 recreation) - would like artistic feedback

Jeric-S

[08] Mercenary
Hey 8WR. This is my first post here - just migrated from GameFAQs since people said I'd get better feedback on 8WR for my CaS material.
All of my characters have alt costumes and varying inspirations (so you might see a realistic, believable character right next to someone who looks straight out of a comic book)
I included a roster picture so you can tell if you actually like anything I made from the get-go, and I tried to format each picture similarly for viewing convenience. Hope my effort shows!

Some things to note:
-My characters start from slot #26 because I share the first half with someone
-#46-47 Mitsuru Kirijo is a recreation of the character from Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
-#48-49 Robustus is a joke character. Hope he looks interesting enough to be considered one.
-I'd appreciate it if you were to be specific about who you are posting about, stating the name and costume number of the character, as opposed to saying, "the blue guy" or "the demon chick."

So yeah, just tell me what you guys think.

Roster Photo
00Roster.jpg

26-27 Cammy
Her design is based on angelic themes and elegance.
26Cammy1P.jpg

27Cammy2P.jpg

New 2P, made some big changes
27Cammy2P-1.jpg

28-29 Irena
1P design is based on flushed, greyed colours to match Edge Master's weapon.
28Irena1P.jpg

2P design is based on a "Queen of Diamonds" theme.
29Irena2P.jpg

30-31 Maya
1P's basic inspiration was to have an armoured samurai girl with some sex appeal. Her colour scheme was originally based on the colours of winter (white and light blue) but I thought purple would spice things up a bit more.
30Maya1P.jpg

2P needs work, but I want to keep it modern. I'll be satisfied with it eventually.
31Maya2P.jpg

32-33 Juno
32Juno1P.jpg

2P is based on a pirate appearance - I've since darkened the jacket and changed the patterns on it to make them a little bit bolder, as the super-subtle patterns here make her look bland.
(I got a LOT of feedback on this, so it changed after a while, but I didn't take a complete screenshot set like this of the changes)
33Juno2P.jpg

34-35 Astor
1P is based on the idea of a heroic character with a colour scheme that doesn't pop out too much
34Astor1P.jpg

2P goes the opposite direction, being based on comic book characters mixed with elements of fantasy characters. I'm not sure what to do with the back of the cape.
35Astor2P.jpg

36-37 Orchid
1P, I found it tough to give her the O.Pyrrha top without making her look too much like Pyrrha, so I mixed it up to divert that idea. I like to give my Nightmare CaS a weapon on their right arm so that the range of his punches makes sense. Her 1P outfit doesn't have this, but being punched by a Soul Edge arm looks appealing enough to me.
36Orchid1P.jpg

2P takes more of an armoured direction, with the motif of spikes included.
37Orchid2P1.jpg

Really proud of how her arm blade turned out. The only issue is that it doesn't shine like the Gorgon spikes do.
37Orchid2P2.jpg

38-39 Dyne
My "giant evil destroyer" guy. Tried to incorporate clothing as opposed to making him purely armoured.
38Dyne1P.jpg

2P, wanted to give him a more stripped down appearance. He looks thinner underneath the armour.
39Dyne2P.jpg

40-41 Vallure
Based on a succubus appearance with some armour added.
40Vallure1P.jpg

2P, wanted to give her more armour while maintaining the half-clothed idea.
41Vallure2P.jpg

New 2P, tried something new.
41Vallure2P-1.jpg

42-43 Sodane
1P, wanted to give him an anti-hero appearance, very much to contrast Astor (though I made Sodane first). He has an arm spike that is similar to Orchid's.
42Sodane1P.jpg

2P, went a bit more over-the-top. Decided to give him a claw rather than a spike. Used a zipper sticker on the Manica arm to make it look damaged, or something of the sort.
43Sodane2P1.jpg

43Sodane2P2.jpg

44-45 Moklan
Wanted to make a pirate that didn't look too much like Cervantes. I recently changed the texture of his undergarment to something a little bit less shiny.
44Moklan1P.jpg

2P, experimenting with modern equips. Wouldn't call it finished, yet.
45Moklan2P.jpg

46-47 Mitsuru (Recreation)
I usually don't do recreations because it feels as though we sacrifice our artistic ability for the sake of accuracy to the character's design. I think you can see that pretty well with this character. I might replace her on my roster when I feel like making a new character. However, right now, I'm more focused on just polishing the ones I already have.
EDIT: I have replaced her with Lianshi from Dynasty Warriors (bottom of post)
Mitsuru Kirijo from Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
46Mitsuru1P.jpg

2P, based on her Persona 4: Arena appearance.
47Mitsuru2P.jpg

48-49 Robustus
I wanted to create Robustus as an old man trying to look like a superhero.
48Robustus1P.jpg

2P is based on more of an asian appearance, still keeping with the whole superhero theme. I gave him Xiba's top so that he'd have a a tail here, as well as his first costume.
49Robustus2P.jpg

46-47 Lianshi from Dynasty Warriors
She took Mitsuru's spot because, well, I have no space left. Yeah.
Her 1P is based on her regular costume.
New46Lianshi1P.jpg

2P based on the "sexy nurse" outfit. I shamelessly paid a dollar to have this on the Vita title.
New47Lianshi2P.jpg

After Cepheus Update 5 happened, I was able to properly make her a nurse. Had to create the illusion of the grey dress being underneath it.
47Lianshi2P.jpg

a lot of good stuff here... is difficult to tell about all of them... buta the one that I liked most is Sodane (2P)... that right arm is so awesome!!!

good mastery of advanced technique, mostly nice choice of colors, some stand out, other appear a bit too generic in theme...but all well executed and except a few details i can't fault anything in your collection.

your Sodane is also my favourite, admittedly all those character DLCs help making prettier CAS...

I like Irena 1p, Astor 1p, Dyne 2p

Sodane 2p and Moklan 1p (i like how on the pirate the EM axe remind a ship anchor) got interessing idea inside

uta the one that I liked most is Sodane (2P)... that right arm is so awesome!!!
Yeah it took a while to decide on what parts to use on the arm and how they'd fit. Glad to see my work pays off!

admittedly all those character DLCs help making prettier CAS...
Yeah I'm sure 50% of the equipment I use is DLC now. With more DLC coming up soon, that number will grow. I just wish that there were more DLC parts that were actually compatible with a lot of equipment.

I like Irena 1p, Astor 1p, Dyne 2p
Sodane 2p and Moklan 1p (i like how on the pirate the EM axe remind a ship anchor) got interessing idea inside

Worked pretty hard on those in particular, so glad you like 'em. Guess the axe does look a bit like an anchor, huh?

Made some changes to Juno 2P and Moklan 1P, based on feedback I got on GameFAQs.
Changes are:
-Moklan's undergarment has a different texture, and a Special equip was added to it
-Moklan now has pauldrons
-Juno's patterns were made bolder, and her top has a different pattern
EditMoklan1PJuno2P.jpg

Over all very well designed ...
My favorites are :
Dyne (2p)
Irena (1p)
Juno (2p)

I think they ,out of all of them, struck me because I felt had the strongest sense of character (emotionally)

Real cool stuff!

I think they ,out of all of them, struck me because I felt had the strongest sense of character (emotionally)
Yeah I get what you mean. However, it's all in our personal perceptions. I'm sure my characters wouldn't evoke a sense of actually being a character in everyone who sees them.

I don't think Moklan needed paudrons. The white-yellow does not seem to match the outfit.
This was to separate his appearance from Cervantes' 1P outfit. However, I think it matches. There's already that goldish colour on the hat, jacket, and boots.

Irena 1p(Pocky Yoshi's most favorite)
Cammy 2p
Astor 1p
Dyne 2p

In general, what a nice way to open up and show off nice CAS. There are some that could use work, but I have faith that they'll be fixed or so. Keep on sharing.

Irena 1p(Pocky Yoshi's most favorite)
Cammy 2p
Astor 1p
Dyne 2p

In general, what a nice way to open up and show off nice CAS. There are some that could use work, but I have faith that they'll be fixed or so. Keep on sharing.

Seems most people really like Dyne's 2P - which I'm happy about since he looked every different before the Cervantes DLC came out (had more armour, a skull mask, and Astaroth's old Devil's Mask)
Which ones in particular do you think I can improve on?

Seems most people really like Dyne's 2P - which I'm happy about since he looked every different before the Cervantes DLC came out (had more armour, a skull mask, and Astaroth's old Devil's Mask)
Which ones in particular do you think I can improve on?
I can't really list them all, but I'll just say one for now.

Warning, I'm a bit different from others. While everyone prefers over the top masterpieces(which I can enjoy if it wows me), I'm more into very simple but elegant fashion.

For now, I'll critique Juno since her name is appealing. Her costumes show potential, but.....

Juno's 1p for instance, the shoulder pads and helmet don't necessarily need patterns. Sometimes, a simple neutral color to coordinate will suffice. But if you really want to roll with patterns, try finding a subtle pattern(one that isn't too much lines or what not), and color it with simple shades of say toned down gold or so. The colors overall feel like ketchup and mustard having a good time.

Her 2p? Well, I'd probably tone down the saturation just a bit and change up a few equipment. In general, it feels like a cowboy colored person trying to be a pirate. But that's just me running on simple archetypes fashion. The adept's sleeves kinda chokes up the jacket sleeves. But I can kinda understand the need to feel "different". Everything else? Just tone down a bit more on colors and it should look better.

I can't really list them all, but I'll just say one for now.

Warning, I'm a bit different from others. While everyone prefers over the top masterpieces(which I can enjoy if it wows me), I'm more into very simple but elegant fashion.

For now, I'll critique Juno since her name is appealing. Her costumes show potential, but.....

Juno's 1p for instance, the shoulder pads and helmet don't necessarily need patterns. Sometimes, a simple neutral color to coordinate will suffice. But if you really want to roll with patterns, try finding a subtle pattern(one that isn't too much lines or what not), and color it with simple shades of say toned down gold or so. The colors overall feel like ketchup and mustard having a good time.

Her 2p? Well, I'd probably tone down the saturation just a bit and change up a few equipment. In general, it feels like a cowboy colored person trying to be a pirate. But that's just me running on simple archetypes fashion. The adept's sleeves kinda chokes up the jacket sleeves. But I can kinda understand the need to feel "different". Everything else? Just tone down a bit more on colors and it should look better.

I see. You weren't kidding when you said you were different, huh?
About her 1P - yeah, I can see that. Now when I look at the patterns, I kind of picture Ronald McDonald. I'll try to change it to something a bit metallic and subtle, while still appealing.
For her 2P, your advice conflicts with what some other person thought (he thought she looked too bland and needed some spice in her colour). I wanted to create the illusion that the Adept Sleeves and Dancer's Shirt were the same piece of clothing. And yeah, she used to have a green/gold colour scheme, but I thought it was too dark. I was aiming for something more pirate-ey, but then I noticed I already did so with Moklan. I do think her colours could use some work though - maybe red/brown would look more appealing. Not sure yet.

I think your Mitsuru P1 would look better with the Leather Shirt in place of the Rocaille Suit. It has a much more accurately shaped sleeves.

Also, why didn't you add an evoker to her hip? That gun was one of the most memorable parts of the original design.

I think your Mitsuru P1 would look better with the Leather Shirt in place of the Rocaille Suit. It has a much more accurately shaped sleeves.

Also, why didn't you add an evoker to her hip? That gun was one of the most memorable parts of the original design.
The leather shirt is made of one hard material and one soft material whereas the Rocaille one is consistent in its, y'know, clothiness, or whatever. Anyway I'd add an Evoker but the handgun in this game looks nothing like it.
Also, I just deleted her to make room for a new character since I hardly used her (I don't really like Raphael). I have her formulas written down if you're interested though (you seem to be a fellow fan).

Did some changes to Juno as per Pocky Yoshi's comments. Tell me what you think.
EditJuno.jpg

Also, as a little treat to everyone for the feedback, here's a custom Natsu and Astaroth I've had for a while.
CustomNatsu.jpg

CustomAstaroth.jpg

Wow, very nice creations I must say...!!! And your Mitsuru is amazing...!!! You got it....Keep it up...!!! ;) :D

Yeah I get what you mean. However, it's all in our personal perceptions. I'm sure my characters wouldn't evoke a sense of actually being a character in everyone who sees them.

... I didn't mean to imply that I felt they could actually exist as a character. .... I think what I was going for was something more like.... The face you chose, the equipment you used , the colors... all synced, working together to convey something consistent about their personality.
While I agree that everyone that sees these will have a different reaction, I think there were choices that you made that (even in formal terms ) helped to clarify their purpose.

Example:
Irena player 1 and player 2 .... they give off totally different vibes. In the picture where they are standing with their shield...for player 1 I would use words like mousy,optimistic ,awkward , inexperienced. For player 2 Irena I would say mischievous, playful , trickster.
I am bringing a lot of myself to these interpretations.... but .... I think there are visual messages that you combine that make some statements clearer than others.

For me ... The wide eyed face, the earth tones, the clunky shoes with big buckles and a cute bow ... an over-sized helmet ...behind a shield. I have an emotional read on the character before I intellectualize the whole process. For me she works. I see a somewhat humble girl a little in over her head ... with a" I will not quit" motto.
Maybe that's not even what you were going for ... but it's what I saw. :) and my impression was very quick ... and when I looked closer the things I felt, were backed up.

Sometimes (and I don't mean specifically yours) I will see something ... even like it ... but I miss out on that immediate first gut reaction. ... those are the times I understand what the creator was going for ... but I never quite feel it.

..... so after writing way too much...
I will say this , I had the strongest gut reaction to those 3. :)

Irena player 1 and player 2 .... they give off totally different vibes. In the picture where they are standing with their shield...for player 1 I would use words like mousy,optimistic ,awkward , inexperienced. For player 2 Irena I would say mischievous, playful , trickster.
I am bringing a lot of myself to these interpretations.... but .... I think there are visual messages that you combine that make some statements clearer than others.

For me ... The wide eyed face, the earth tones, the clunky shoes with big buckles and a cute bow ... an over-sized helmet ...behind a shield. I have an emotional read on the character before I intellectualize the whole process. For me she works. I see a somewhat humble girl a little in over her head ... with a" I will not quit" motto.
Maybe that's not even what you were going for ... but it's what I saw. :) and my impression was very quick ... and when I looked closer the things I felt, were backed up.

Y'know, you're not too far off from what I was going for. When making her 1P I was kind of picturing a reluctant fighter without much experience. 2P was more of a fantastical thing.

Back