Daishi no longer works at Project Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
wat

Street Fighter III: Third Strike is the best fighting game ever made.

That may be the case, I have no way to really prove or disprove that, but I'm not a fighting gameplay nut. I don't care about memorizing combos and executing crazy moves and flaunting gameplay ability in a fighting game. It's usually the characters and story that draw me. If those are bad or don't catch my interest, then I skip. Story and characters were the biggest reasons that Soul Calibur was at one time my favorite fighting game franchise.

The captain won't even go down with his ship...or maybe he's stepped aside for a more capable director who can still save the series.

Either way, I'll live.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. While Daishi did bring some competitive and engaging fighting system, there were just a bitt of setbacks that hurt him so it's probably for the best.

I think he'd be better of making his own game company or game title and create a fighting game that he likes. :) As for the future of SC, I sure hope his replacement is good.

The timeskip was entirely unnecessary, and a lazy gimmick to provide the superficial appearance of storyline change while justifying overbearing roster changes.
I think it comes more so out of the lack of rationalization it was even given while PS themselves speculated on it. Their excuse for Taki not being in the game was because she was ''too old?'' I don't get where that logic comes from if its already accepted that a bra-less D cup woman in spandex can be a competient fighter in fiction. Not to mention the contradiction with Ivy. Talim and Amy are the youngest of the old cast and arent in the game... if age really mattered why is lexia in the game... isnt she like 12 at heart?
New characters in and of themselves are not a bad thing. It's throwing away perfectly good and much loved existing characters to have a justification for adding in those new characters that's a bad thing.
As I said, they were trying to be too logical theoretically while contradicting themselves at the same time. How the idea was handled was just poor. They wanted to minimize our options so we have no choice but to like their new characters cold-turkey... and do the work for them by establishing them through our own reasoning... but that didnt work. Most people hate them. The new characters need their own weapons so they can be veterans of their own unique styles.

Last edited:
That may be the case, I have no way to really prove or disprove that, but I'm not a fighting gameplay nut. I don't care about memorizing combos and executing crazy moves and flaunting gameplay ability in a fighting game. It's usually the characters and story that draw me. If those are bad or don't catch my interest, then I skip. Story and characters were the biggest reasons that Soul Calibur was at one time my favorite fighting game franchise.

Then why are you even here...

I don't care about memorizing combos and executing crazy moves and flaunting gameplay ability in a fighting game. It's usually the characters and story that draw me. If those are bad or don't catch my interest, then I skip. Story and characters were the biggest reasons that Soul Calibur was at one time my favorite fighting game franchise.

Its a fighting game. If all you care about is story and characters, go read a fucking book or play the latest weeaboo anime rehash RPG.

Story, much like graphics, should NEVER be a negative in a video game; it should always be either a neutral or a positive. The fact you aren't playing a fighting game for gameplay is just absurd, and you are the reason namco is feeding us shit like Lost Swords.

I think it comes more so out of the lack of rationalization it was even given while PS themselves speculated on it. Their excuse for Taki not being in the game was because she was ''too old?'' I don't get where that logic comes from if its already accepted that a bra-less D cup woman in spandex can be a competient fighter in fiction. Not to mention the contradiction with Ivy. Talim and Amy are the youngest of the old cast and arent in the game... if age really mattered why is lexia in the game... isnt she like 12 at heart?
As I said, they were trying to be too logical theoretically while contradicting themselves at the same time. How the idea was handled was just poor. They wanted to minimize our options so we have no choice but to like their new characters cold-turkey... and do the work for them by establishing them through our own reasoning... but that didnt work. Most people hate them. The new characters need their own weapons so they can be veterans of their own unique styles.
I never said either of those things. D: Salarta said that, not me. I don't know how you quoted me lol.

Then why are you even here...

Because Daishi called this site out by name, so I came here to post. Simple as that.

Its a fighting game. If all you care about is story and characters, go read a fucking book or play the latest weeaboo anime rehash RPG.

Story, much like graphics, should NEVER be a negative in a video game; it should always be either a neutral or a positive. The fact you aren't playing a fighting game for gameplay is just absurd, and you are the reason namco is feeding us shit like Lost Swords.

How about no. If story matters so little, then Soul Calibur should be nothing more than stick figures named after what weapon they use to ensure people focus on the gameplay only.

Fact of the matter is, you value gameplay. That's the sole thing that matters to you in a fighting game. That's fine if it's all you care about, but that doesn't mean that just because it's what you highly prize above all else, that means everyone else is required to think the same way. I've seen people make similar claims as yours to suggest that gameplay is the only thing that matters for ANY genre of game, and in all cases I have to say that it's like saying the only thing that matters about a movie is how the director uses the camera. There's SOME indisputable truth to touting the importance of gameplay; if there's no gameplay, then it may as well be a movie or a book or something else. But story and characters still matter.

Even Daishi, with all his faults and so much focus on gameplay, acknowledged this when the team modeled a story mode for SC5 after MK9's story mode. Story and characters matter in fighting games. You may not like it, but it's true, and it would appear that a lot of people agree with me on that matter given the complaints about character removals from the roster and the poorly constructed story mode.

With all due respect, Malice. As a whole it was feasible and something is always better than nothing but it's difficult to be okay with this when it's a bit of a far cry from previous iterations and you are made aware that the scv story was gutted by I believe 3/4th's. But the story isn't by any means TOP priority. Things like whiffing issues, glitches, and general inconsistencies would be a bigger problem. I don't agree with current FG company tactics such as making the same game with a few added features repeatedly ETC but more to the point I have a big issue with rushing games and still releasing it. This may indeed be how the real world is but half assing your work shouldn't be okay, regardless of the reasoning behind such decisions.

This all links back to the fact that this is a fighting game and not an RPG, therefore Project Soul have no reason whatsoever to make the story awesome over making the gameplay aspects awesome.

The game should be catered more to competitive players than casual players who just want an RPG-like story and want to play dress-up. I think Project Soul focused quite a lot on the casual parts of the game (i.e. CAS and Story Mode) than what they usually do and yet what do we have? Casuals complaining in every thread that they possibly can about how horrible the story is and blah blah blah.

Not to say that they didn't do any work on gameplay aspects of the game, the game's gameplay is great however I think that gameplay should come as top priority before stuff like CAS.

I wonder if we'll ever see the day when "casuals" and "tourneys" can finally get along. I see people keep claiming that story mode doesn't matter, CAS doesn't matter, graphics doesn't matter, online doesn't matter...

Just pretend Project Soul actually made that game. The perfect competitive balanced fighting game where you've got one single option: versus mode. And the graphics are stylized animated hitboxes. I can see how the most hardcore of the hardcore can enjoy that, but I don't think Namco will become very happy with reviews saying it's too light on content and then having a ton of "casuals" complain about lack of content too, and thus sales plummet.

Like it or not, the game needs to appeal to as many people as possible. And I don't see how it's wrong for people to enjoy the games for different reasons. I'm not trying to pick any sides, I just find it a tad silly people need to go all "Go spend your money elsewhere! We don't want you supporting Soul Calibur games because I don't happen to care about this mode you want!"

That said, story mode in SC5 was - in my humble opinion - complete garbage.

I hate to say it but good. Maybe we'll start seeing more changes that lean towards more SCII-esque gameplay. That allowed you to play whatever style you wanted and plus no gimmicky gameplay changes.

This all links back to the fact that this is a fighting game and not an RPG, therefore Project Soul have no reason whatsoever to make the story awesome over making the gameplay aspects awesome.

The game should be catered more to competitive players than casual players who just want an RPG-like story and want to play dress-up. I think Project Soul focused quite a lot on the casual parts of the game (i.e. CAS and Story Mode) than what they usually do and yet what do we have? Casuals complaining in every thread that they possibly can about how horrible the story is and blah blah blah.

Not to say that they didn't do any work on gameplay aspects of the game, the game's gameplay is great however I think that gameplay should come as top priority before stuff like CAS.

SCV is very well balanced. That's the most important part of a fighting game: Balance. SCIII & SCIV had more single player content than in SCV, but those games weren't balanced because game breaking bugs like VC in SCIII & broken characters like Hilde in SCIV. Also in SCIV half the cast weren't viable. In SCV, nearly character is viable and no one is broken. Some people may disagree with that statement because of Viola having SET Back Grab Infinite & ToD combos, but to be fair those situations are situational themselves, so they aren't 100% guaranteed.

Like it or not, the game needs to appeal to as many people as possible. And I don't see how it's wrong for people to enjoy the games for different reasons. I'm not trying to pick any sides, I just find it a tad silly people need to go all "Go spend your money elsewhere! We don't want you supporting Soul Calibur games because I don't happen to care about this mode you want!"
That's not the point I was getting at, but the fact that PS deliberately spent quite a lot of time on SCV CAS mode and whatnot yet we still have "people who that should appeal to" complaining. I find it stupid to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back