Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

How many of you have actually fooled around with the tag mode. It's amazingly deep and i think can have the same amount of hype as Marvel if enough people start playing it. A lot of unlinkable sitdown stuns are now more able to be linked due to the fact that tagging in the character removes the recovery frames. You can practically go sitdown > sitdown > CB! > Launcher > Relaunch Juggle > Tag! > Relaunch Juggle > Tag! > Relaunch Juggle > Tag! > Juggle Ender.

Here's a video showcasing DOA3 tag:
Nice! I would play tag mode but I have my hands full already with Helena. :P Which two characters would you use Mr. Wah?

Tell me who is a good partner up for Kokoro and I shall learn sometime. Still don't have DOA5 due to personal problems, but still eager to play it.

Tell me who is a good partner up for Kokoro and I shall learn sometime. Still don't have DOA5 due to personal problems, but still eager to play it.

I'm not sure, start off with a second character you can utilize well. Keep in mind that weight is lighter in tag so some attacks that cause knockdown are no longer knockdown in tag allowing for further relaunch purposes.

Personally I use Bass and am considering Tina due to their tag throw options and juggle.

On crouching opponent (or sitdown stun): Bass 3K > Tag 66K > Tag 3K > Tag 6P+K CB! > 33K > 9PK > Tag 6PK > ... > Tag 41236H+P.

I was able to get 214 damage off a 240 life bar due to it, timing is strict though and any of those sitdowns you can just go into a launcher instead.

I'm not sure, start off with a second character you can utilize well. Keep in mind that weight is lighter in tag so some attacks that cause knockdown are no longer knockdown in tag allowing for further relaunch purposes.

Personally I use Bass and am considering Tina due to their tag throw options and juggle.

On crouching opponent (or sitdown stun): Bass 3K > Tag 66K > Tag 3K > Tag 6P+K CB! > 33K > 9PK > Tag 6PK > ... > Tag 41236H+P.

I was able to get 214 damage off a 240 life bar due to it, timing is strict though and any of those sitdowns you can just go into a launcher instead.
Do you have any recommendations for Helena's partner? I was thinking Kokoro, Kasumi, or Sarah.

Helena is very evasive. I'd recommend kokoro or sarah since either could probably take care of helena's pretty poor sit-down stuns.

In Dead or Alive 4, officially, Hitomi was her only partner, despite no special intro or winning pose. They did have a unique throw which is retained in Dead or Alive 5. In DOA5, her official partners are Helena and Akira where she has unique intros and winning pose, plus unique throws with both of them. She also has a unique throw with Brad. Overall, she has the fewest unique relationships with the cast.

As far as Tag Partner viability, that's hard to say. Neither Helena or Hitomi have good sit-down stun setups, and Kokoro's own are somewhat limited (most are just simple launcher guarantees) that could really be exploited by either of them. Akira arguably might be her best, since he can get a free 66P+KTH set up, or go for a nasty 3H+KP2 or just finish the opponent with 246P or 26PP. Plus, they have the strongest tag throw.

Only issue with that is the different mind sets required to play Kokoro and Akira. Its literally the hardest team to play since they have very different execution requirements and have a fairly linear and strong mid game (makes them easy to hold).

You might want to try Hayate or Lisa. Lisa has a unique throw with Kokoro (only from Lisa's end, IIRC), but could work well with speedy launchers like 33P or 33K. 1PP allows for safe tagging. While Hayate has a few easy punishes and guard breaks that allow for some interesting mix ups (1K tag 8P tag 3K tag 7P critical burst).

ew. what's all this talk about tag? It's like talking about weed and other illegal drugs at and children's school.

tag is bad and leads to nothing but bad habits.
Maybe some other changes they added to Pai buffed her up a bit. Like how Helena was before people knew about her PFTs. I hope you find some new BnBs for Pai. :)
nope. nothing new. she only got minor damage buffs. that combo being gone hit way too hard. i couldn't find anything to replace it at all. T_T
i don't think i can even play her anymore now. and her wave dashing is gone. i'm actually heavily considering dropping her despite my love for Pai Chan. it's like Leixia all over again. they unnecessarily nerf these lower end characters more and more. it's like TN doesn't want anyone to play as these characters.

How many of you have actually fooled around with the tag mode. It's amazingly deep and i think can have the same amount of hype as Marvel if enough people start playing it. A lot of unlinkable sitdown stuns are now more able to be linked due to the fact that tagging in the character removes the recovery frames. You can practically go sitdown > sitdown > CB! > Launcher > Relaunch Juggle > Tag! > Relaunch Juggle > Tag! > Relaunch Juggle > Tag! > Juggle Ender.

Here's a video showcasing DOA3 tag:

That video (which I've seen before) reminded me of all the male costumes we've been deprived of; Hayabusa's informal ninja outfits, Leon's roman gladiator, Ein's Matrix outfit, Jann Lee's dragon pants and yellow gi, Bass's red Hawaiian shirt, Brad's kempo outfit, Ein's prisoner outfit, and Bass' Mad Max/Viking outfit.

Not to mention Ayane's old ninja outfit, Hitomi's denim jacket, and a few of Tina's old outfits.

Maybe they'll come out down the line.

they don't have this
LeiFangDOA4C3.jpg

my main lei fang costume.

After coconugate, I seem to have lost my drive and confidence. Can't seem to get into it. Wonder if I should try, or perhaps I should try focus on having fun, rather than try to improve.

also does anyone know of a sight that helps set up the power blow combo for each player trying to get the titles to unlock alpha

For the PBs stuff just set up a second controller dummy player on the skyscraper stage. Initiate a stun, PP, PP, CB!, PB!

hitting them into the cliffhanger and retrying the stage to get both the throw and attack cliffhangers helps you out with that.

Doing the above for each of the 23 characters gives you the following character titles:
*Use a Character for the first time
*Perform a Character's Power Blow
*Combo a Character's Power Blow from a Critical Burst
*Perform a Character's Throw Cliffhanger
*Perform a Character's Attack Cliffhanger

Then you have each character's sparring/exercise mode. Completing that gives you a title:
*Complete a Character's Exercise Mode

That alone gives you 138 titles.
Completing Story I believe should put you around 100-120 I think. So on the conservative side we'll say 102
240 is your current total.

You then have a title for completing each difficulty of Arcade (Solo), Arcade (Tag), Time Attack (Solo), Time Attack (Tag), Survival

Plus an additional title for completing all the difficulties of each mode. I think there are 8 or 10 difficulties. Assuming 8 you have a total of 53 titles from that.

So you're at 293.

The last 7 you can get for using a 7 character 10x online or 50x on/offline.

You can also get a title for unlocking all of a character's outfits.

----

Or you can just play ranked matches as in v1.03 that now will unlock costumes and characters

After coconugate, I seem to have lost my drive and confidence. Can't seem to get into it. Wonder if I should try, or perhaps I should try focus on having fun, rather than try to improve.

Just have some fun with it for now, you might find something out that way. Can't constantly be work.

the problem with this game is someone can mash out a string of moves and if you are actually trying to learn a string of moves it gets hard. So It's best to have fun and try to learn moves another way.

It's a little more loose on the string system. The Side Step system isn't linear/half-circle/full-circle and is instead tracking/no tracking. The opponent can struggle against most stuns to speed up the stun instead of specific parts of the stun. Overall attacks do less damage, and the focus is more on patternistic string application more so than poking frame traps.

Lastly, it's honestly easier to see the fluidity, animation smoothness, and just has a lot more flash than VF does. Itagaki probably said it best that VF is an old-fashioned sushi bar and DOA is a modern sushi bar where the waitresses are on roller skates and fun clothing.

Oh, and the online isn't as good as VF5 though you have a wider audience to play from. However, out of that wider audience comes a large percentage of players who just don't know how to play and don't care to learn properly.

Back