Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

@Amanda I was talking about Dev saying I need to play people with better Internet btw...

And the game (as a complete package) isn't good enough to justify two copies in my house.

Aside from a less than desirable online netcode, DOA5 is fantastic. Much less bullshit than DOA4. Don't let haters (i.e Animefreak...) deter your judgment on the game. Try it out and see if you like it. I'm having a blast myself trying to find different ways to set up critical bursts and powerblows. The nerf on holds is a welcome addition, and yes you can still hold within people's strings (not NC's though).

I did a critical burst combo into a power blow in training last night!

Force have you tried pp6pp, kk, 6p+k for Ayane? It should burst, but the critical strike just sets up a brand new stun. I don't understand.

I'm finally starting to figure out how to play this instead of just mashing p's and k's and random directions. .

Wow, this thread has really imploded on itself.

GGS UnderX btw, my bad if I pissed you off.

I like the game, but....

Being a mainly Tekken/SC player, the fact that I can't hit an opponent on the ground after a combo is dumb. It doesn't matter what I do, I can never really get in and fight like I would want to. So I end up playing cat and mouse with my opponent almost every fucking time I fight online. The ground game is horrible. Imma find a way around it though lol.

And like everyone else, it's EXTREMELY rare to experience a real 5 bar on this game, a 5 bar feels like a SCV 3 bar. And also, my inputs sometimes mess up and I eat 50% of my heath cause I couldn't counter shit cause of the lag. Hopefully the patch fixes this.

It's also kind of messed up how you can throw a person out of a whiffed hold. I understand it cause of the Triangle System and I sometimes use it to my advantage but in a game so stun heavy, a Critical Stun combo ending with an unfinished string that goes into a throw launch into ANOTHER guaranteed combo is unbearable to fucking look at especially when it's done to me. I can't tell you how many times people would do some dumb string, and I expect to hold the last hit and the grab me out of my hold. (can you break grabs in this game?)

Lastly, my take on this is (yeah I might be late on this), if you don't particularly like the game, don't play it. Going as far as criticizing over things that really should be fixed like the netcode, or system flaws, etc. is great in my book. But talking shit about a game that literally JUST CAME OUT is pointless. What qualifies you to even say anything about the game? Your not a high level player and they know this game in and out. If you don't particularly like something, instead of bitching about it, find a way around it. If there is no way, make a petition and try and get it fixed. Nuff said.

A little over two weeks into this expansive ass game and yall fuckers (you know who you are) want to sit and whine like little children.

Being a mainly Tekken/SC player, the fact that I can't hit an opponent on the ground after a combo is dumb. It doesn't matter what I do, I can never really get in and fight like I would want to. So I end up playing cat and mouse with my opponent almost every fucking time I fight online. The ground game is horrible. Imma find a way around it though lol.

I know what you mean, I always want to be on top of my opponent all the time but I can't :(

It's like VF5 I just back off then rush in then knock them down repeat.

Yeah, it's really frustrating to play a rush down character and then be forced to back off after I knock someone down because those stupid wake up kicks are invincible except if you guess the right hold. >:(

Yeah, it's really frustrating to play a rush down character and then be forced to back off after I knock someone down because those stupid wake up kicks are invincible except if you guess the right hold. >:(
Wakeup kicks are`nt invincible...just go to the lab and try some stuff out..im sure you gonna find funny stuff ;)

Anyway..here is some interesting stuff..enjoy!

The wakeup kicks make me mad lol. Idk why though. In Tekken there alot of more options to commit to, and you can roll out of the way if you wanted to.

In DOA5 it's either you tech, or just lay there and wait for your opponent to whiff so you can do a wakeup kick. It's a hard to get used to that honestly, but we will make a way!! Long live DOA! Lmfao *raises pimp juice in the air*

Edit: If anyone in this forum finds a way to lessen the struggle of getting up, please post it here. That right there would be great.

I did a critical burst combo into a power blow in training last night!

Force have you tried pp6pp, kk, 6p+k for Ayane? It should burst, but the critical strike just sets up a brand new stun. I don't understand.

I'm finally starting to figure out how to play this instead of just mashing p's and k's and random directions. .

Good stuff Wombat! Actually, compared to the rest of the cast, Ayane is one of the characters who's least based on critical bursts because of her partial focus on ranged combat. I rarely try for critical bursts with her (though CB's are much easier with Rig or Hitomi). The CB I use with Ayane is PP6PP, PPP, then 6P+K. The 2nd "P" of 6PP and the 3rd "P" in PPP do the bulk of the "Critical Damage" gauge filling. Also, contrary to her speed, Ayane actually isn't a rush-down character. That would be Kokoro.

What I'm looking for now is an optimal combo to use post CB if my health is above 50%. What do you think of 3PP, P+KP7K? The damage seems too modest to me. I'm also trying to see if there's more ways to juggle with BT PPPP because I like the blast back at the end.

Don't worry about the mashing of random "P" 's or "K" 's, I still save those "techniques" for people who clearly don't ever block and just mash out attacks as much as possible.

As for the wake-up kicks, they are invincible to standard attacks but they can be beaten by using high crush moves against high wake-up kicks (such as any crouched move or GRD 2P+K), and low crush moves against low wake-up kicks such as 9K for Ayane. I think Mid wake-up kicks can be beaten by 2P+K (against a grounded opponent). Actually, for those worried about okizeme, spam 2P+K to force the opponent to either tech or only use high wake-up kicks. You can also always stand in front of the downed opponent and keep your eye out for the more obvious low wake-up kicks and low hold them, and standing guard for the mid & high wake-up kicks. I play Ayane, so if I see an opponent always doing wake-up kicks, I just punish them with a well-deserved Backward Twirl kick.

I am not hatting, I am just commenting on some things... I have said so many times that this is another Great DOA tittle, I just wish certain things were a little tweaked... I am not hatting, I just feel like their is room for both hype and criticisms in this thread...

I faced my first really good Ayane today! Her options from back turned are so scary. I wasn't sure if I should block or attack and grabbing was completely out of the question. TO THE LAB.

It should burst, but the critical strike just sets up a brand new stun. I don't understand.
Either you are not doing it fast enough, or those strikes don't "link".

sometimes the move you stun your opponent with doesn't give enough advantage to connect the critical burst after it. Especially so if the opponent is slow-escaping or mashing holds out which reduces the advantage you get.
I can't tell you how many times people would do some dumb string, and I expect to hold the last hit and the grab me out of my hold. (can you break grabs in this game?)
You must be playing good players.

If you feel a grab's coming and you're stunned, just don't do anything (well, you should slow escape). If you don't hold, it'll whiff.

You can only break neutral grabs, and that's if it's used in the open (if you're blocking [or you get punished with one?]). You can't break command grabs, and you can't break neutral grabs if they grab you out of a hold.

The wakeup kicks are especially resentful. T^T They are the bane of my life.
Well, with Mila, what I would do, is knockdown, then backdash away (using her technique, but KBD probably works too). Opponent whiffs the wakeup kick, I whiff punish with 3H+K into the sprawl knees. That's another knockdown, so backdash away and see if they whiff another wakeup kick.... then whiff punish with 3H+K into the sprawl knees. That's another knockdown, so...

And you just keep doing it, and doing it, and doing it. Soon enough they won't try to kick when they get up 'cause they don't wanna get kneed in the face, and then you'll have that next layer of metagame where you can start trying to stay over them and apply more pressure.

My problem was not backing off and whiff punishing the wakeup kick every single time. It's kind of tedious, really, but you've gotta do it.

I faced my first really good Ayane today! Her options from back turned are so scary. I wasn't sure if I should block or attack and grabbing was completely out of the question. TO THE LAB.

If Ayane is backturned, you should block mostly. This reduces her options to BT Throw or BT 6T (if she doesn't change stance). BT 6T is quite seeable since she doesn't jump up nearly as high as BT 8K. Any high attack can knock her out of it. BT T should be breakable. If you see her go into the Twirl stance (especially the forward Twirl), attack immediately. If she does the backwards roll, block. The quickest attack (BT 66H+K) is punishable (a juicy -29). For majority of the other options from the backwards roll, it's best to stay defensive or sidestep. Also, if Ayane uses the Backward Twirl stance, she only has 2 options (though they're both quite strong), however it is quite recommended to use a rushdown attack to beat it out (like a 66KKK or a 236K for instance).

You are correct on one thing, trying to grab Ayane when she is BT'ed is a bad idea. Her BT 4K will have something to say about it. Let me know what you discover in the Lab!

BT T isn't breakable, and it 6 frames, also she can just BT 6K which is 0 on block.
66KK4 is +7 on block leave her in BT and if she does BT T, there nothing u can do to stop the throw other then attack at a -7 disadvantage...

BT T isn't breakable, and it 6 frames, also she can just BT 6K which is 0 on block.
66KK4 is +7 on block leave her in BT and if she does BT T, there nothing u can do to stop the throw other then attack at a -7 disadvantage...

It isn't breakable? Oh, interesting. I thought it could be since it is an i6 throw. I do get a surprising amount of use out of it, thanks for mentioning this! Ayane's more potent than I thought...

I have heard that TN already intend to nerf 66KK4 in their upcoming balance patch (I don't know when it's coming though). It is pretty silly. Ayane is my strongest character atm just because of this move

I think they need to nerf LEIFANG!! (Anybody have XBOX and already gotten the 3 sexy swimsuits ?)

Back