Dear Legendary Souls mode:

Status
Not open for further replies.
i used nightmare with basically no real practice outside of arcade mode and did it in 56 ' 40 " 66 copied right from the license

Beat it on launch day, and it was a bitch, literally. See below for more details.

Kilik: About 7 minutes. Abused the stage's ring out properties while cheesing him out with Cervantes' BBB, 66B, A+G, and A+G (BE) for damage. He's easy when you condition him properly.
Nightmare: About 10 minutes. Blocked and punished the whole way through. By far the hardest character to ring out, so gave up trying on that front.
Siegfried: About 20 minutes. Unlike Nightmare he's much easier to ring out. Also, unlike Nightmare, his attacks are faster so I had to block more than usual.
Cervantes: About 8-9 minutes. He destroyed me with iGDR combos at first, but then I figured him out and just blocked and punished like Nightmare.
Edge Master: About 7 minutes. Didn't seem that hard to me. Again, blocked and punished.
Elysium: 1 HOUR AND 15 MINUTES. She is a fucking bitch. All she did was spam Angel Step into the stab, then OTG with the Toe Stomp. She also randomly throws out her CE at the worst possible times. I had to wait and hope that the AI would let up, and it finally did.
Algol: About 2 minutes. A cakewalk compared to everybody else. Just ring him out.

Wow... It took me two hour at least to complete as well! Man, I thought Cervantes was a living hell to fight, and then came EdgeMaster! My God, I was yelling things that I've never yelled before! Sadly, I'll admit this was less frustrating than SCIV's Tower of Lost Souls. At least if you lose a match, you don't have to start the whole challenge over, just the match.

Fuck you. For every absolutely amazing part of the rest of this game, you were included just to make sure we weren't too happy. Cheating, input-reading AI. The hard AI in the other modes? Excellent. Uses setups, baits, and competitive-play-viable combos. This mode? A demon possesses the AI. One that thinks human rage tastes quite nice, thank you very much.

Rant aside, I finished this this morning at something like 7:00AM. Game stopped counting at 99'59'99 and I figure it was something like two hours. To be fair, actual game time that involved me not staring open-mouthed in shock and horror as I was picked apart by Edgemaster rocking Alpha Patroklos' style was probably about an hour and a half. I actually stopped playing a few times. The day I see a human player rock that kind of speed, precision, and accuracy will be the day competitive Soul Calibur has its Michael Jordan. It's unreal.

Anybody else finish it? Thoughts? I used Alpha Patroklos myself, so that may have contributed to my terrible time with it (never used Setsuka even once before and kind of learned as I went).
Pick Zwei. While rising B B+K A+B . Repeat until they are all out of the ring. XD

Project Soul has always had a bad history of making cheap, cheating AI opponents. Virtua Fighter 5 this is not

You guys are all fuckin bitches. I had a blast playing this mode. Why?

Because it's hard. The challenge made me learn my character fairly well.

This AI is actually very fair, and amazingly on point all the time. If you guys think they're cheap because of their crazy combos, well, that's what's gonna happen when you face a good player. Stop mashing, stop whiffing, and use uninterruptable, airtight strings, while using enough step catching to deter it, and enough mids to deter ducking.

I saw minimal "cheating" from the AI... they simply adapt to what moves you were doing. If you do tons of highs to stop their step, they will simply guess by ducking. If you do the same throw, they'll start to break that throw.

Learning how each AI style adapted was not unlike learning how a player adapts. It's just that this AIs adapts to every pattern, and you can count on it. So just use all the options your character has and wildly vary it up while still playing effectively. Use GIs, attack from disadvantage and don't attack at advantage once in a while. Mix it up like you would a human opponent, except assume that they're onto you. Stay on point... punish unsafes and whiffs, use all your opportunities.

The fact that it feels like the AI is adapting to your strategy makes it fucking amazing. It feels very humanlike to me... just one that is always on-point and adapting. I can see why new players would have trouble... it took me an hour to beat it, though this was with a character I was learning to play, Mitsurugi.

Oh knock it off. I mean really. The AI just defends multiple hits in strings, always just frames and has perfect critical edge and guard impact reaction. AI was designed to react to your button presses with mathematics that beat your frames. You cant force a mixup on AI, your post is nullified.

@Signia: The AI is input reading, clear and simple. Don't try to defend it. And no player, no matter how good, is going to pull those Alpha Patroklos combos off every time like Edge Master does. The AI in that mode is clearly designed to be hard, yes, but it's the wrong kind of hard.

Want proof? I just blew through the mode again, aiming strictly to fuck with the input reading AI. My time? Fourteen minutes. Check the leaderboards if you don't believe me. Post a better time with you fighting this so-called "fair" AI legit and I'll think your argument holds weight.

Obviously it reads inputs, all AI has to, unless it's ridiculously complicated. It just decides to do something about it based on what you've done in the past.

No human could pull off those combos all the time? Well even the legendary souls AI makes mistakes, but I guarantee you someone will master those characters.

My point is the AI rewards adaptation and solid play which is great.

Obviously it reads inputs, all AI has to, unless it's ridiculously complicated. It just decides to do something about it based on what you've done in the past.

No human could pull off those combos all the time? Well even the legendary souls AI makes mistakes, but I guarantee you someone will master those characters.

My point is the AI rewards adaptation and solid play which is great.

It doesn't particularly though, seriously. It rewards tricking the AI skill, which is something else entirely.

Legendary souls is an exceptionally simplistic '%chance of failure' AI with the chance turned down almost to zero. That's not really good for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back