Death Star - Discussion/Q&A Sector

ShenRii

[09] Warrior
Hi guys,

I'm keen on picking up Darth Vader as my main just cause he's cool and he seems to have a rather different play style as compared to the rest of the cast.

I'm not talking about him having the force choke and such, more of like the fact that he's a slow character with a short weapon.

So yeah, I'd like to hear what you guys think of Darth Vader. So yeah, let the discussion begin!

Death Star - Discussion Sector

I think he's bad because he's slow and has short range. That's pretty much all I have to say. Oh, his B throw is hilarious. I think it's B... the one where he picks you up, turns around, walks like 2 steps then throws you out of the ring.

i like to use vader. hes loads of fun to use. him being slow doesnt bother me too much because im used to slow and i can deal with it.

i love using his force choke grab

I got much more time with Vader and so far I think he's strong. He's got safety, damage and decent gauge breaking capability. Just lacking in speed and range.

Upclose Vader has problems starting an offensive. He has to rely on using 1BK to snuff others, 2B to avoid highs and personally, 9K to avoid lows with the occasional Force GI. But ironically, I need to be upclose to start his 6B.bG game.

I gotta say though, Vader has a decent reverse RO game thanks to his A-Throw and 3B, 4A+B~6A+B combo.

The only thing my friends and I ever used Darth Vader for was throwing the computer played Apprentice character around because it's the easiest strategy to use against him. We are yet to find another use for him. Doorstopper, maybe.

I personally think Vader is an excellent character that has a ton of potential due to the force.

You see, a lot of basic attacks that Vader has have all got a force version that's quicker, safer, combos on NH, takes more damage, or leads to a combo of some sort. So u can substitute your regular normals with the force moves for some extra or guaranteed damage.

A,A combos on NH --- 30dmg

A+K,A combos on NH --- 34dmg

B,B no combo on NH

B+K,B combos on NH ---30dmg

See where I'm gettin at?

Also I really like the fact that Vader almost always gets guaranteed damage after a knockdown and it isn't to hard to knock opponents down with him either.

33A+K on NH gives u a free 2[B+K], 4A+B, 6A+B for 56dmg no tech but 78dmg if they tech

33B gives Vader nothin on NH or CH but 33B+K gives him 2B+K, 2[B+K], 4A+B, 6A+B for 78dmg on NH.

Aside from the listed above 4A+B, 6A+B is guaranteed after just about any knockdown move(not including 4B)

Vader has the potential to be a very deadly and scary opponent. So I guess what I'm try to tell you guys is use the force......hahaha. It sounds so funny sayin that.

I would like to say that :2::3::6::(A)::+::(B): is great for RO. The opponent almost always blocks the first GB and gets knocked out of the ring from the proceeding hits.

:4::B::+::K: is just a great low, probably his best low as it is fast and visually difficult to predict. However it uses the force gauge.

If only Vader wasn't so reliant on the force gauge, even more so then the Apprentice imo...

Finally got to try Vader. I think he's real fun to play, so I might try and make him my second (hopefully he doesn't get banned). One question: Are any of his stuns shakeable?

bG slide input stun?

This slide input follows a variety of moves and acts as a stun to add to the combo you have started. However, it is such an awkward input to perform, and I feel like I have to put my hand in an entirely new position and use my pointer and middle finger to press the buttons. Is there a good control modification to make this kind of slide input easier? The only altercations I have made to my controls up to this point was turning RT into A+K. I don't want to really alter too many controls for Vader but I am trying to make him one of my mains (I paid 5 bucks for this guy, I want to get my money's worth by at least mastering him).

bG slide input stun?

B+G is sometimes a good choice. 6BB+G will perform 6BbG for you. I find having the ability to use both hands or switching between thumb and index is helpful. You can try sliding the input from A+K to B+G to get WS aG. 66B to your B+G button might help in 66bG etc.

/edit/ bind a button to B+G then read B+G in the above as "press the button you've bound to B+G"

bG slide input stun?

Wait, so... you're saying press B+G at the same time and that just automatically does the bG slide input? Lol sorry your post confused me.

Yeah. I'm not too sure about his BB stun (I'm pretty sure it is), but I know his 6BB:G is.

I was testing out his Force pickup (4A+B) without doing any of the followups and found something interesting..

If you pick the opponent up when they're laying face up, you will be at +8, but if you do it when they're face down you'll be at negative.

Hm Suirad found it different how weird. . .-shrug-

6BbG A+B seems to be pretty decent at catching people if they shake out of the stun.

Really like 4A+B. Even though on NH he doesn;t get advantage it fucks them up at a distance and unlike SK's A+B seems to work even when they're in mid-move.

Match-up wise:
I don't see him having in real trouble with the low tiers except maybe Maxi upclose.

Well I got +11, but I wouldnt swear by it. Face-up/Face-down definitely does predict the +/- though. Say OOF, what did you test the + with?

actually vaders B is slower than i18, you might want to test that too. I got i20 the last time I tried. So +10 then? That makes some other data I'd worked on make sense too.

Did anyone else know about 66bG? What the hell...no use for this move other than it's safe and 66B isn't.

EDIT: Lol, nevermind, keep forgetting I have to search both forums -_-. +4 on hit, and I juuust found that it has a force cancel, just different timing than the others

Back