Death Star - Discussion/Q&A Sector

Saber Throw

Exactly, it's a very situational. If your opponent is close to death or by an edge and you have the opportunity, I'd say go for it. In any other random situation maybe throw it out for a few spins, especially with the last hit guard break, then follow up with a foward rush. And remember, Vader regains force gauge quite fast, don't be afraid to expend it in the right situation.

Darth Vader tips.

<- A+B: A Force pickup. Use it after a knock down, then follow it with a -> A+B or launch combo, very useful

i think you can follow that lauch with a force cannon.... but im not sure the point, id think not going into the fancy force throw just so you can follow up with the same thing would be risky... maybee you would conserve more energy but i doubt it...

Saber Throw

It's slow, very slow... Saber Throw is +6 on block turning your i18's into i12 attacks (next i18 followup clashes with Yoshi's ear slicer retaliation and the likes)... Good on wake-up or you can just throw it out there when the opponent goes to defense... Be warey of your amount of force left and only charge it when you know you can kill them with it after it hits (which I have trouble picking-up on)... It's good for a ring-out, kills step, and is a decent laugh from time to time but use it sparingly...
I have a question... Can this tech off of anything???

How do you deal with mashers?

Hey all, new to these forums and pretty much SC in general. I've played many of the characters and it seems like Darth is just my favorite... VS CPU. I am having a major problem, when i use Vader on a hard or very hard CPU, i can hold my own very well and i don't end up losing many battles. But, when my Roommate or someone online comes in and runs up to me and just mashes senselessly in my face, i'm boned. I know his moves well and am great executing vs the cpu. How do i get these mashers?

With vader dealing with mashers should be easy.

1: Back off and 4B them when they start mashing, they obviously aren't going to side-step it and you can interrupt their mashing.
2: Block the attacks and just attack when you see an opening.
3: You can just 6A+B,b them. The Auto-Guard impact counter does alot of damage, and has ring out properties.
4:Grab the SHIT out of them. Emperors toss for the win.

With vader dealing with mashers should be easy.

1: Back off and 4B them when they start mashing, they obviously aren't going to side-step it and you can interrupt their mashing.
2: Block the attacks and just attack when you see an opening.
3: You can just 6A+B,b them. The Auto-Guard impact counter does alot of damage, and has ring out properties.
4:Grab the SHIT out of them. Emperors toss for the win.

I have tried alot of these things...
1. I can't back off because they are so in my face and vader is just too slow.
2. It seems like i can block most attacks, but when i go to retaliate they are back in my face before i can swing saber.
3. This has actually helped alot on occasion, but the times it has worked far outwieghs the times it does work. That is just inexperienced timing on my part.
4. Amen to the grabs, probably the only chance i can get to get some moves in.

Thanks for the advice, any more would be greatly appreciated

I have tried alot of these things...
1. I can't back off because they are so in my face and vader is just too slow.
2. It seems like i can block most attacks, but when i go to retaliate they are back in my face before i can swing saber.
3. This has actually helped alot on occasion, but the times it has worked far outwieghs the times it does work. That is just inexperienced timing on my part.
4. Amen to the grabs, probably the only chance i can get to get some moves in.

Thanks for the advice, any more would be greatly appreciated

Well there is just not much advice I can give for defeating button mashers. They really are't difficult to kill once you get started. Why don't you just start spamming darth vaders BB? The second B in the series stuns them and leaves them sitting so you can always get out the 4B face-poke for some more damage.

And if that don't work try using B+K,b. Three quick slashes, they won't interrupt you and the third one (once again) stuns them sitting. Beating button mashers is only a matter of mashing better moves.

When they're in your face, block, then once their attack string is done keep doing :1::B::A: until they learn how to block. :1::B::A: is NCC and it leaves the opponent standing at a disadvantage afterward so you can grab and it'll be uninterruptable by most attacks, but if it's an absolute spammer, I suggest :1::B::A:'ing until the opponent learns.

I deal with mashers by not playing them.

You don't learn anything or gain any skill by fighting people who mash.

All I can say is 8wayrun their ass over... use moves that allow you to counterattack opponents who use certain predictable attacks... for example, as Voldo, his attack 22_88K during the second strike from Amy's 3BA. I sure I can think of more, but, that for some reason, is my favorite example :/.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I had a much better time with vader last night. (that sounds weird somehow lol) My timing is definitely getting better and i think it just takes a while to learn the game.

1BA 1BA 1BA 1BA 1BA 1BA 1BA 1BA - By now yor spamming friend may have learned to block. Grab him.

Rinse and repeat until he gets wise +D

I deal with mashers by not playing them.

You don't learn anything or gain any skill by fighting people who mash.

It gets to be a waste of time eventually, but I think anti-masher strats are an important early early step in the learning curve of the game. It gives you a start at recognizing easy patterns and timed responses. Once you've gotten past that, you feel like some kind of physicist who proved that the thinking man's Soul Calibur is something that really exists.

Maybe this is useful advice, maybe not, but I always like Nightmare's A+B auto-GI against people who come at me too fast. Does Vader 6A+B,B have similar timing?

@PhilBond

I would have to agree with you about playing mashers and getting familiarized with the timing of attack/guard/when a string ends... stuff like that. It's really hard to play a human opponent that has any skill in the game when you are just starting out. (Learned that the hard way) So for now my mashing buddy will have to do while i get down the timing of my attacks and stringing combos together when i get him on the ground for some fun force play.

Death Star - Discussion Sector

I've noticed something interesting..

Normally whenever you force parry, Vader automatically sticks out his hand and brings his opponent closer to him before he attacks.

I've noticed sometimes if I break the opponent's soul gauge he doesn't do it, and it allows me to critical finish. Other times he sticks out his hand like normal and it ruins my critical finish opportunity.

This seems to happen randomly, and I haven't found a way to control it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Advice on Application

Hello Vader Peeps, Question...

Can you guys maybe post some advice as far as application. Traps, Baiting Moves/Follow-up's, Etc... I'm Not having any trouble with the inputs and I understand fundamental gameplay. Vader, IMHO, is just not a character with room for random moves thrown in the mix. Like Mitsu. Random move attempts 98% of the time end in Epic Fail punishment from {Insert Most ridiculous i38 move} consequently leading to the Sith Lord's demise. SOO. If anyone can help, it would be much obliged.

P.S. Vader Plr for four days now. He's built to kill, I KNOW IT!

EDIT: Thx for moving post.. I know a little more now, but short from 1ba,1ba,1b,GRAB--- Repeat, It seems vader's practical arsenal is just lacking like a legless hooker... Any insight would be much appreciated.

^^Remember, try a bit of reading and you'll find some nifty things!..

OOF, about the force parry CF hit property alternates, i had this happen to me once or twice..i think the actual force parry need to be THE very last guard crushing hit..but done in exactly on that specific single hit amount(SC damage) of its natural guard crush properties from the red JI effect commence..

...so in easy terms on the 17th hit of any attack connects it doesn't matter which attack it is(as long as its at 17th GC attack hitting), also might be if you happen to guard impact(6,3 mostly) don't forget the force parry can do SC damage as well)so it might cause it to burn a bit of that SC energy that could have been used for Vader 6,3A+B actual CF hit not..something like that, but i believe it to be controllable.

Back