• YRC - Force Cancel
  • DR - Dagobah Roll
  • FG - Force Gauge
  • KD - Knock Down
  • RO - Ring out
  • GB - Guard Break
  • UB - Unblockable
  • TJ - Tech Jump
  • Straight Mid - A mid that moves only straight, Basically a horizontal mid (Ex. NM's 6B:B)
Advantages & Disadvantage

One of the first things that has to be known when picking up and/or just learning Yoda is to understand his advantages & disadvantages.

Advantages
  • Short, most highs whiff. Some hit (Ex. NM's 6K)
  • Can't be grabbed.
  • Most things carry TJ properties.
  • Force Cancels(YRC's) offer variation to strings, and add more combo opportunities.

Disadvantages
  • Slow Step
  • Attacks are slow in execution.
  • Terribly unsafe.
  • All YRC's lack speed and can be interrupted.
  • Small soul gauge prevents good defensive play.(About 50% lower than the normal cast)
  • Glitches can be exploited
  • Easy to RO

II. Training

-Training with Yoda can be difficult, the native CPU in the game has terrible AI against Yoda. They keep trying to grab knowing they can't throw highs that don't hit etc. So always fight against whoever you can, now there are the people that resort to playing online because they have no offline competition near; Practicing online can be difficult because players will constantly boot you, send you hate mail, etc. and you will often never get a person that knows how to play against Yoda.

Brief Basic Outline of Things to Practice

• DR (Dagobah Roll) Cancel, 236[K]G (Can be canceled out of into other commands practice doing it quickly)
  • 236BBBBBB timing, often can vary (Ex. Against a wall requires no timing if they touch the wall)
  • GI's (Essential due to the lack of soul gauge Yoda has blocking is limited)
  • Finally, YRC Combination's (Gotta know what does what, lol)

III. Battle Outline

Moves To Use (Properties)

Close Range

AA (High/High, Standard, leaves at about -13, Hops lows)
BB (Mid/Mid, Standard, leaves at about -14, Hops lows)
1K (Mid, avoids Horizontal mids)
3B (Mid, avoids Horizontal mids for a brief second "not even really that", offers a variety of combos)
6B (Vertical High(GB),Good Punsher,recovery avoids mids that don't touch ground, Can be ducked,RO's Front)
1B ( Mid, Stuns on CH)
4A (High, Heavy stun on CH, on NH leaves opponent at BT)
6A (Mid, Hops lows)
3A (Mid, +3 on block, leaves opponent at BT on hit)
2K (Low, Safe, KD's on CH)
A+B B (High/Mid, Stuns on hit, Leaves opponent at BT)
A+K (Mid/Mid, Unsafe in block, Pretty fast, Hops lows, RO's front)
YRC 4A+K (Low, Good for spacing, Has a B follow up with GB properties, linear)
YRC 2_8A+K (High, Steps, Stuns on Hit)
YRC 2_8B+K (Mid, Linear, Launches on hit, RO's Behind)
YRC 6A+K A (Mid/Low, Unsafe on block, Low sweep KD's on hit)
YRC K(False YRC, Good for people who you notice look for the light to attack, adds mixup/Safety)
YRC 4B+K(Mid, good for baiting into a free little poke)
YRC 6A+B+K (Mid, Leaves you and opponent at BT, Stuns/KD's on CH)
BT B+K(Mid,(GB), Stuns on NH and CH)

Mid Range

66BB (Mid/Mid, tracks,KD's on NH, Stuns/KD's on CH)
236B (Mid, Can be used as a longer 3B)
6A+K (Low, Good ranged sweep)
6A (Mid,Jumps lows)
236KKB (Mid/Mid/Mid, Avoids Straight mids, Stuns/KD's on Hit, RO's Front)
236[K] ( Dagobah Roll, Avoids straight mids, Offers Mixup on Wakeup)
6B (Vertical High(GB),Good Punsher,recovery avoids mids that don't touch ground, Can be ducked,RO's Front)
66AA (Mid/Low, Unsafe, KD's)
44A (Low, Has a B followup (GB), Good for spacing)

Long Range

236[K] (DR "Dagobah Roll", Avoids straight mids has a KKB follow up)
6A+K (Low, Good low sweep)
66A+B (Mid, A high jump closes quite a bit of distance, KD's on Hit)
1_2_3A+B (Mid UB, Really linear, Catches Aired Opponents)

Anti-Step

Note that Yoda's short range provide for very little Anti Step attacks because they can step back aswell while stepping and Yoda will whiff unless up close.

6A
AA
3A
6A+K

Throws

Yoda's throws are kind carry TJ properties, and since can win over lows thrown by an opponent depending on how they are left in TC.

Brief Outline of throw options

A+G (A lightsaber rush, no good wakeup options)
B+G (Yoda jumps on opp's face, 6B after can catch backrolls)
28B+G (Yoda's command throw, Has random commands I dont even know what they are just mash, opponent can cancel out of leaves opponent at BT can go for a 6A+K or roll)

Wakeup

1A (Catches close Side rolls)
3B (Occasionally doesn't catch Backward rolls)
236B (Same as 3B just more range)
6B (Catches Backward roll)
1K (Catches Forward roll)
6A+K (Catches side Rolls)
BT B+K (Catches close enemies)
*1B (Similiar to 3B just safer)

Frame Traps

• Currently None
Tech Traps

• 6A+K,4K

Post GI

Grab Attempt
3B...
(For Delay)236BBBBBB,4B+K
A+B B, YRC B+K B

Defense

Yoda's defense is the worst in the game no arguement about it. His soul gauge provides little to nothing for the Yoda's defense and his step makes it worse. So just some thing that could help your defense are:

- Stepping at long distances
- GI-ing
- Interupting or Crushing as soon as you realize you can

Force Shield

Yoda's force shield is wierd, it's a Auto-GI for mids A's and B's not for kicks. If you time the Auto-GI early then it just repels and doesn't give Yoda much advantage. If you get the timing right Yoda will hold the opponent, there are 3 options off of this.

• 1. Don't press anything and let them fall, the falls tags a little damage but not much.
  • 2. Press A+B at the time of when Yoda stuns them and he will lift them and drop them, You get a free 6B into this combo
  • 3. Press A+B twice (A+B, A+B) and he will lift and do a forward throw with the opponent, This is good for 2 things. It's good for Ringing Out as it just throws them ahead; Wall splats as well
Yoda's Force shield window is also shorter than the normal GI window, so if used you hold a risk of being hit and losing force.

Interrupts

not really much here but Yoda does have 2 decent interrupts IMO:
  • 3A

Attacks with TJ's:

• K
  • AA
  • BB
  • 6A
  • 6B(Certain lows not all)
  • A+K
  • A+BB
  • 8A
  • 8B
  • 22_88B
  • 22_88A

Attacks that crush Horizontal Mids:

• 3B
  • 236B
  • 6A+K
  • 3B+K(Shortcut for 3B YRC 2B+K)
  • 4K (Really slow)

TO BE CONTINUED.....

(Feel free to leave a Question, Comment and or Complaint)

have you ever played against yodas online? its no fun at all, its boring tedius shit .ill happily spam the little booger to get it over with asap. and from what i can see it aint much fun to play as him. sorry for interupting but i just had to say it.im very sorry

have you ever played against yodas online? its no fun at all, its boring tedius shit .ill happily spam the little booger to get it over with asap. and from what i can see it aint much fun to play as him. sorry for interupting but i just had to say it.im very sorry

I play Yoda and I find it fun everytime I play him and I've played him since the game came out, and there is also a thread Called "Yoda General Discussion" where this post belonds please don't spam with unnesseccarry comments

Updated with Anti Step suggestions.
Note that all Topics are highlighted in Green and everything white falls under that topic.

Great idea to do a guide about Yoda, I've tried to learn him but no luck so far.

Great idea to do a guide about Yoda, I've tried to learn him but no luck so far.

Yea I felt I should, help the folks out lol

Your in the wrong game
I'm not it's just my comfortability is with Yoda.

Also
Updated with Throw info and Info on Force Shield

hey man thanks for the yoda guide, its great to play as yoda cos it irritates the fuck outta people and they never want to play me again and i like being disliked you know, cos im like that. haha you cant grab me lol. c-ya

I think that you should add glitches that can be used against him and also write how to avoid them. :)

I think that you should add glitches that can be used against him and also write how to avoid them. :)

What, stuff like Yoda not being able to block certain strings? If so, Yoda can't block Kilik's 22_88A,A,A at close range, and he can't block 4A+B,B with Taki. Kilik's 22_88A,A,A can be avoided by doing A+K after the second hit is blocked, thus tech-jumped the last hit that Yoda is incapable of blocking. This will also punish 22_88A,A by itself. Taki's 4A+B,B can likely be avoided by performing a quick tech jump attack, albeit at the risk of getting hit by 4A+B,A+B.

What, stuff like Yoda not being able to block certain strings? If so, Yoda can't block Kilik's 22_88A,A,A at close range, and he can't block 4A+B,B with Taki. Kilik's 22_88A,A,A can be avoided by doing A+K after the second hit is blocked, thus tech-jumped the last hit that Yoda is incapable of blocking. This will also punish 22_88A,A by itself. Taki's 4A+B,B can likely be avoided by performing a quick tech jump attack, albeit at the risk of getting hit by 4A+B,A+B.

Yoda can block them......

Yoda can block them......

no you can't...they go through Yoda's guard...try it out sometime...

/edit/ Yoda also can't block Taki's 3A,K. He also can't block Yun-seong's 1K,K. He can't block Raphael's 1B,B or his Prep K:K. He can't block Zasalamel's 1A,B or his 66B,B. He can't block Siegfried's 1AA. He can't block Ivy's CL A+B,A. He can't block Maxi's 2K,K.

no you can't...they go through Yoda's guard...try it out sometime...

Your telling me? and I know I've tested it?
Tap Gaurd between the multiple hits (Ex. Block first hit, Let go of gaurd and press it again before the second hit comes)
Again, please don't correct me when I know I'm correct.

Your telling me? and I know I've tested it?
Tap Gaurd between the multiple hits (Ex. Block first hit, Let go of gaurd and press it again before the second hit comes)
Again, please don't correct me when I know I'm correct.

Really? Try blocking out of Zas 66BB.

Back