DLC Theory: "Stone" is NOT Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of what you've said about Rock. I used to say the same thing on this forum last year before the game released, he'd never make DLC. To unpopular but then, who are the rest of the characters teased by the codewords? Are they all popular? Who is even left? Setsuka, Hilde and Yun definitely make sense in that regard but Rock, Hwang, Lizardman, Algol and Li Long do not. Basically what i'm saying is if 6 characters really are making the roster, some of them will definitely be unpopular anyway and i wouldnt put Rock at the bottom of that list. If the codewords dont mean who we think they do then i'm having a very difficult time placing who they should be, there really isnt a lot of possibilities left honestly.

I agree with most of what you've said about Rock. I used to say the same thing on this forum last year before the game released, he'd never make DLC. To unpopular but then, who are the rest of the characters teased by the codewords? Are they all popular? Who is even left? Setsuka, Hilde and Yun definitely make sense in that regard but Rock, Hwang, Lizardman, Algol and Li Long do not. Basically what i'm saying is if 6 characters really are making the roster, some of them will definitely be unpopular anyway and i wouldnt put Rock at the bottom of that list. If the codewords dont mean who we think they do then i'm having a very difficult time placing who they should be, there really isnt a lot of possibilities left honestly.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Lizardman makes perfect sense, so does Hwang, and I honestly think they're saving Hilde for SCVII. Anyways, I picture the six characters as being this:
  • Three returnees (Setsuka, Hwang or Yun-seong and Lizardman)
  • Two newcomers (brand new styles and designs that'll help with mass appeal)
  • One guest (would be it's Dante from DMC)
Wouldn't mind this, to be honest. It's a pretty solid way to go about Season 2, especially since SC doesn't have a lot of unused characters that are bottom of the barrel outside the main roster here, especially before reaching the V kids which is even worse.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Lizardman makes perfect sense, so does Hwang, and I honestly think they're saving Hilde for SCVII. Anyways, I picture the six characters as being this:
  • Three returnees (Setsuka, Hwang or Yun-seong and Lizardman)
  • Two newcomers (brand new styles and designs that'll help with mass appeal)
  • One guest (would be it's Dante from DMC)
Wouldn't mind this, to be honest. It's a pretty solid way to go about Season 2, especially since SC doesn't have a lot of unused characters that are bottom of the barrel outside the main roster here, especially before reaching the V kids which is even worse.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on the exact popularity of these characters. I wouldnt put Lizardman and Hwang above Rock. It doesnt seem to me that they intend to base the decision entirely on popularity anyway.

New characters on DLC? I dont know, is that a common thing? If Tekken didnt try that, i wouldnt expect to see it on Soulcalibur.

I'm going to leave my personal opinions about Dante and 2B out of this but i will say his moveset would feel very similar to 2B's if they put him in the game and i dont think that is a great idea. Isnt Nero more the main character for DMC5 anyway?

There isnt any personal bias in what i think will make the roster. Frankly speaking, the only character i really want is Algol but i'll readily admit he is unpopular and unlikely.

Street Fighter V had newcomer DLC as an example. Tekken is a bad game to cite, since that game has so many characters to use, plus Harada is very lazy in general and does half the shit he does for shock value. Example, refusing to put Kunimitsu back but bringing fucking Negan in the game.

On the other end, Soulcalibur holds itself to a higher standard, but doesn't have nearly as many characters to draw from, so maybe making some appealing newcomers as DLC is a good idea, especially since they can return in future games.

I really can't see them using (non-guest) new characters for DLC. That strikes me as less likely than Algol or Hilde.

I really can't see them using (non-guest) new characters for DLC. That strikes me as less likely than Algol or Hilde.
How is that?

A character with a cool/sexy design and a unique new gameplay style is easily more marketable than bottom-tier characters like Rock.

I have better theory - we're not getting a second season pass because barely anyone will be playing the game at the time it could be officially announced
That theory sucks, even BBTAG got a Season 2 and SCVI is proving popular with EVO contestants. Plus, S2 was leaked, basically confirming this. I'm tired of this forced narrative.

That theory sucks, even BBTAG got a Season 2 and SCVI is proving popular with EVO contestants. Plus, S2 was leaked, basically confirming this. I'm tired of this forced narrative.
It ain't forced in any way - it's just me being a bit malicious which is the effect of awfully low online player base.
Tho it's always fun to theorise

How is that?

A character with a cool/sexy design and a unique new gameplay style is easily more marketable than bottom-tier characters like Rock.

Hmm i dont know about that. People select mains for more reasons than just a cute model in a thong. Especially since every movelist can literally turn into that with CAS. I think new characters should be put out with the base game because people need to try them out to even find out if they like the movelist or not. With returning characters, you pretty much know what you are getting ahead of time so that is the reason people purchase that.

The story relevance should also be considered. Sure they can cook up anything and add it to the cronicle but it seems like most new characters are introduced with a lot going on storywise and it will definitely seem off to just throw in someone now. I think whoever this person is, there would need to be a significant connection with Azwel and Groh.

Now i think what they might decide to do is use a character that sits in between old and new like Bangoo.

Rock's tier placement isnt really a fair point. He could be top tier for all we know next time he shows up. A lot could change with his appearance and so forth to make him more appealing.

Concerning Street Fighter 5 as an example, i believe that game released a while ago with no storymode to speak of. It was clear that was just rolled out at bare minimum to allow online matches and not much else. How many characters have been released compared to the base game? I dont think we can compare Street Fighter with Soulcalibur anyway. There are just things Strret Fighter can get away with because its Street Fighter.

I meant "bottom-tier" in terms of popularity, not tournament status. I just think brand new characters with appealing designs and movesets are more marketable than Rock.

It ain't forced in any way - it's just me being a bit malicious which is the effect of awfully low online player base.
Tho it's always fun to theorise
I’m not sure if you heard but every fighting game ever loses most of their player base after the first month. Even DBFZ lost 90% of its players. It’s about who sticks around as in the core audience.

I’m not sure if you heard but every fighting game ever loses most of their player base after the first month. Even DBFZ lost 90% of its players. It’s about who sticks around as in the core audience.
10% from 18 000 is still way more than 10% from 5 000.
If they are willing to make full season pass consisting of obscure characters for 3k players then that's fine by me. I would totally buy Rock actually

I meant "bottom-tier" in terms of popularity, not tournament status. I just think brand new characters with appealing designs and movesets are more marketable than Rock.

Yeah, how do you know if the moveset is appealing or not? Just off the reveal trailer? That is not enough to go off.

10% from 18 000 is still way more than 10% from 5 000.
If they are willing to make full season pass consisting of obscure characters for 3k players then that's fine by me. I would totally buy Rock actually
Are you going off Steam? Because PC is mainly just a bonus to Namco.

Yeah, how do you know if the moveset is appealing or not? Just off the reveal trailer? That is not enough to go off.
Well, yeah. A character with a cool moveset can get the point across right away, that's how marketing works.

Seeing as how we have six codenames leaked all marked as DLC characters that haven't been announced yet, and SCVI is at EVO, I'd bet they're going to announce it there. If BBTAG can get Season 2, so can SCVI.

Well, yeah. A character with a cool moveset can get the point across right away, that's how marketing works.

It might be cool, it might be completely stupid. Safer to throw new characters bundled with the base roster so they dont rely completely on a diceroll. The very fact that Rock exists in the first place means not every design they come up with will hit the ball out of the park. I also think new movesets are a lot more work than returning ones.

A gamble, but so is any DLC. It's still far safer than Rock because new stuff has appeal by virtue of being new, as in you feel good when you see it so long as they're not replacing anything people like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back