Do you think characters having different health would balance the game?

Beside this, I think that the SG bar of slow characters should be bigger.
The SG system is here to penalize passivity (and I like this idea). But, for example, an Astaroth shouldn't be penalized as much as a Natsu for using the guard button, since he will have to use it more often by necessity and not by choice.

No, characters like Astaroth and Nightmare already do enough guard gauge damage to justify them having a stronger guard guage. They should be blocking more often than Natsu (who happens to have piss poor guard gauge damage).

No, characters like Astaroth and Nightmare already do enough guard gauge damage to justify them having a stronger guard guage. They should be blocking more often than Natsu (who happens to have piss poor guard gauge damage).

1) Sorry, but I don't really see the point here. This doesn't change the fact that they have to guard more often. :-)
This system is here to prevent turtling, but even if a big character player doesn't want to turtle, he will have to use his guard more often. But for this he will get the same penality as a fast character. IMO it shouldn't be the case.
So even if the good SG damage from these two characters can prevent them to be turtled, it doesn't change the original defensive problem. If you play against an agressive fast character, your SG damages won't help you, but you will definitely have to use your guard.
2) I disagree about Natsu's SG damage. Even if it is not awesome/broken , I think that it is pretty good. But it is a different topic... :-)

Idk, it's something I thought about. I don't really know how it would affect the game so I wanted other peoples inputs as well. Do you think adding glass cannons and health pools will add more depth in the game? Would characters have to adjust playing because of it?

If you think so, say who you would like health buffs/nerfs and why.

Also sorry if this is a repost

Also, not necessarily balance the game, but help balance it in someway

Edit: Characters would still keep the same damage output
Depends on how the game is designed/constructed; there are obviously many variables to consider.

2D games use variable health to help balance the game because there are less things to consider that you need to balance around compared to a 3D game, and the character archetypes are pretty much set in how they are going to be.

You really don't know how a character is going to flesh out in a 3D game until months later well after the game has been patched, which is why it would suck if you arbitrarily gave characters variable health.

If you want to see how things would play out, play SC4 or Special Versus or Tekken Revolution.

There's plenty of other things you can do in a 3D game to help balance it. Variable health is a lazy way of going about it.

Different health, meter, and guard bars and perhaps varying damage resistance vs. different kinds of attacks would be interesting, but the whole game and its mechanics would have to be completely reimagined and redone just to accommodate what varying health bars would mean for the balance.

Also I think speed/frame data needs to be looked at again.
E.g Natsu, Viola those chars who are suppose to be 'light' chars need to have their damage scaled the fuck down but make them slightly faster

Also if a char is going to have a typical heavy type char hitbox their actions etc need to reflect that.

*sigh* guess im just one of those old fashioned people.

Also make it so small characters can't throw big characters. You don't see rey mysterio throwing the big show.

Hogan's 6'8". Contextual throws would be interesting though. If a character can throw Asta since he's supposed to weigh 600lbs, then they coudl switch to a leverage throw or something instead of the one they usually use against people who aren't massive.

I want pat to throw size 5 males by pretending he's gonna punch em in the face then fake to a nut kick, and when they keel over he just puts his hands on his hips, laughs then kicks them in the head

Introduce chip damage for everyone but viola.

Chip damage on Elysium's CE.
. . . Ek.

then they could switch to a leverage throw or something instead of the one they usually use against people who aren't massive.

Virtua Fighter done something on the lines of this. I know that Sarah does a completely different Mid-Air Attack Throw (66H+K) on Taka-Arashi compared to other characters in the roster (Taka-Arashi is a sumo, putting him in a special weight class).

On the lines of weight class; If they did decide to throw that feature in, what would be the point of heights on CAS'? heights already provide stat increases and decreases in areas depending on if your character is short or tall, mostly reach and damage output.
They could make a system where it calculated the weight of your character with [Insert gender + physiques stats + maybe weapon weight] and put them in a specific weight class (If the game was split up into multiple weight classes like Virtua Fighter.) with their hit-boxes, reach, health, etc. but then there is equipment and armor which will.. ~ forget it. To complicated.

Does it utilize them in the same way as DOA and VF though?

E.g: On DOA5U, using a character like Phase 4 you have to play a very different combo style when vs'ing a heavyweight compared to vs'ing a lightweight. I don't really think you have to do that much in SCV.

Or E.g 2: On VF5:FS, Sarah's 1K launcher doesn't launch Taka-Arashi. It only staggers him back, leading for different combos.

I didn't even actually know SC has weight classes, unless the weight class IS the height. What defines the weight class of the character, the height or just moveset?

Last edited:
Back