Do you think characters having different health would balance the game?

Withvees

[10] Knight
Idk, it's something I thought about. I don't really know how it would affect the game so I wanted other peoples inputs as well. Do you think adding glass cannons and health pools will add more depth in the game? Would characters have to adjust playing because of it?

If you think so, say who you would like health buffs/nerfs and why.

Also sorry if this is a repost

Also, not necessarily balance the game, but help balance it in someway

Edit: Characters would still keep the same damage output. Please don't be like CorrectDefense and at least try to give reason why you said yes or no.

Last edited:
Give Viola half the health of the next lowest health character(s), and a dark mode for being KO'd with full meter at the end of a round. yeah sure why not

I could see this more applicable in 2D game with fireballs combined with chip-damage mechanics. It wouldn't be as applicable in a game like SC with full 3d movement, no guard chip damage, and more up-close combat.

I always thought having different hp may make sense aesthetically (a demon knight in full platemail should take longer to beat up relative to ninja in a leotard). However, the game design usually means giving characters reduced hp as a lazy way to balance characters with overpowered offensive and mobility attributes elsewhere. Characters with more hp generally arn't those that lack damage output, but are usually the awkwardly clumsy and slow types that struggle to apply their offense.

Giving characters different amount of guard meter is a fair compromise to giving characters different defensive attributes without impacting the game balance too severely imo (kinda like SC4 Yoda)

I was thinking about making a thread called "Should Characters Have Their Own Defensive Stats?", but I canned it because I thought I knew everyone's answer to that...

Perhaps HP and DEF stats should stay in special versus...

I dunno. Nightmare and Astaroth are solid as it is. If they became tankier then something would have to be taken away from them.

Having defense is a disadvantage if you don't plan on dying.

Differing health just sounds like change for the sake of change. Trying to guess when someone will die from a certain number of hits would be like trying to guess when the opponent will get stunned in Street Fighter IV. SCV already has enough guesswork with ascertaining when someone's guard will burst.

Balance can be created through better means.

100% sure that health is a good tool to balance game.

I wish Namco do some kind of mode with tuning for players, to change some system things, for example:

- health
- chipdamage
- last round meter bust
- timer (maybe i want to play 55 sec. rounds xD)
ext.

I dont say all that are good ideas, but flexibility is always good, some experiments can lead to profit.

Namco abandon that game so whatever, give players/tournament orgs opportunity to change things. If developers dont care, community will do some work.

Idk, it's something I thought about. I don't really know how it would affect the game so I wanted other peoples inputs as well. Do you think adding glass cannons and health pools will add more depth in the game? Would characters have to adjust playing because of it?

If you think so, say who you would like health buffs/nerfs and why.

Also sorry if this is a repost

Also, not necessarily balance the game, but help balance it in someway

Edit: Characters would still keep the same damage output
Short answer: No
Long answer: No

Different sized health bars are another tool to help balance a game which allows the developers to be more varied and ambitious with their character gameplay design.

Beside this, I think that the SG bar of slow characters should be bigger.
The SG system is here to penalize passivity (and I like this idea). But, for example, an Astaroth shouldn't be penalized as much as a Natsu for using the guard button, since he will have to use it more often by necessity and not by choice.

Beside this, I think that the SG bar of slow characters should be bigger.
The SG system is here to penalize passivity (and I like this idea). But, for example, an Astaroth shouldn't be penalized as much as a Natsu for using the guard button, since he will have to use it more often by necessity and not by choice.
I actually really like this

Back