DOA player jumping ship (until KT figure themselves out lmao)

candynarwhal

[08] Mercenary
Hi everyone!

I'm new to these parts, but not so new to SC itself - I've been a casual fan since II (played IV and V as well), and since getting my hands on VI recently, I thought it'd be cool to join up with the wider community. :sc2ivy2:

I was always more of a DOA player, but after DOA6 tanked (thanks KT), I figured I'd pick SC up again. Especially now that it's on PC, and I can finally play online without having to pay extra for the privilege of having an internet connection...

I feel like I've gained a theoretical understanding of the SC fundamentals over the years, but I'm still losing 9 matches out of 10 lmao, so there's a long way to go yet!

As a habitual Ivy player, I'm enjoying myself, anyway. VI feels about as fast as I remember II being, which is nice - the reason I've stayed with DOA is because its fluidity has become sort of a barrier to entry for me, when it comes to other fighting games. You guys would have to let me know, then, if there's another character I would be better suited to as a beginner (I was thinking Cassandra, who is probably my actual favorite character, her VI playstyle just intimidates me lol)...

We'll see how I get on. In the meantime, it's nice to be here!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. If you need help consult the Soul Arenas and don’t forget to join the discord of your characters. For anything miscellaneous about Soulcalibur we have the casual threads.

specific technical gameplay inquiries are now decentralized in the character specific discords.
The ivy discord i'm confident will be happy to welcome newcomers.

The general casual discussion and create-a-soul costume editting is still thriving here however

Hi everyone!

I'm new to these parts, but not so new to SC itself - I've been a casual fan since II (played IV and V as well), and since getting my hands on VI recently, I thought it'd be cool to join up with the wider community. :sc2ivy2:

I was always more of a DOA player, but after DOA6 tanked (thanks KT), I figured I'd pick SC up again. Especially now that it's on PC, and I can finally play online without having to pay extra for the privilege of having an internet connection...

I feel like I've gained a theoretical understanding of the SC fundamentals over the years, but I'm still losing 9 matches out of 10 lmao, so there's a long way to go yet!

As a habitual Ivy player, I'm enjoying myself, anyway. VI feels about as fast as I remember II being, which is nice - the reason I've stayed with DOA is because its fluidity has become sort of a barrier to entry for me, when it comes to other fighting games. You guys would have to let me know, then, if there's another character I would be better suited to as a beginner (I was thinking Cassandra, who is probably my actual favorite character, her VI playstyle just intimidates me lol)...

Ah yes... Tecmo just got to greedy, charging for hair dye, $100 dollar season passes, and all the rest of those money grabbing shenanigans. They went to far and killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Welcome aboard M8

Hi everyone!

Soulcalibur VI's story mode (Soul Chronicle) is a good way to introduce yourself to the characters from a narrative standpoint as all of them have a dedicated chronicle that is lengthy enough to know them and their personalities as well as their role in the lore.

What I like about both DOA and Soulcalibur is that they both allow players to move freely in the stage to help target and pinpoint their moves during a match. What I really like about DOA was the ninjas, the fluidity of the fighters, and the high adrenaline fighting which was highlighted in the stages and their danger zones (such as falling off buildings and still continuing the fight). Unlocking costumes and having unique hairstyles for each character was a nice treat too. The fanservice was only a bonus.

However, I really hated the direction the series went into during DOA5LR's release as they started charging $1000 worth of DLC, DOAX3's character poll that allowed them to exclude characters that didn't make it into the Top 9 and don't make them into DLC, DOA6 (which is another story on its own), and DOAXVV being the only way the franchise is making money. They also started focusing solely on the fanservice and the fact that their DLC is basic fetish outfits doesn't help. They even reused DLC for DOA6 while charging more money for it. The whole hair color fiasco made it worse. Also, making Marie Rose and Honoka the new stars of DOA by pushing them in the marketing and giving them a lot of focus n the story mode at the expense of the other fighters was not a good move on Team Ninja's part as it only shows that they are focusing solely on the fanservice and also appealing to people with creepy fetishes (not getting into that). It doesn't help that they are often to the Top 2 characters Japan loves.

Meanwhile, after some "bad" games and questionable ideas, Soulcalibur was able to thrive again with SCVI and being able to get new players while satisfying veterans for the most part. Every character feels unique and presented. The stages are cool and call back to the original game even if there were so few before Season 2. I also like how each character gets a story of their own which fleshes them out nicely. I just hope for new characters in the future and new CaS content.

Overall, DOA is kind of in a bad place right now and I hope Team Ninja gets it together, or else the series will be Dead or Dead and the same goes for Ninja Gaiden. At least Nioh is doing well based on what I heard of the game. I highly doubt they will get it together since Koei Tecmo is infamous for their monetary business practices. At least Soulcalibur VI's Season Passes are affordable.

Back