Earth Hour whatever thread

Yea I did it, turned off all the lights in the house and let my family have one tv on so they don't get too bored.

Oh great. Now we'll have people turning off their lights for an hour and then acting like self righteous douchebags who just saved the universe.

blackdragon is a piece of crap for not participating. He had an opportunity to help save the world, but he turned a blind eye instead . . . what a horrible person.

The entire thing is more about making a statement than it is about actually affecting the climate. It's merely supposed to raise awareness.

theres nothing to be aware of imo, the worlds getting colder if anything, 'global warming' is just a catchphrase to help push new taxes (carbon tax), al gores video did nothing but make him millions, poor countrys are handicapped everytime they try to catch up with the west with powerstations. please dont buy into this bullshit.

Trust some retard on the internet or research, evidence and more reputable sources saying differently... HMM.

blackdragon is a piece of crap for not participating. He had an opportunity to help save the world, but he turned a blind eye instead . . . what a horrible person.

The entire thing is more about making a statement than it is about actually affecting the climate. It's merely supposed to raise awareness.
Human arrogance FTW!

It's the sad reality of being the top branch of the evolutionary tree - we're born into an environment we need, not one that all the lower branches need. Remove the lower branches and we cease to exist, but plenty of others below them survive. This environment directly affects us, yet we try and drag our cuddly seal cubs and puppies under our wings claiming they'll go as well...

I remember seeing some brief television special a few years ago where some gent and lady who work at a nuke plant were saying if a massive amount of people turn all their power-draining devices off then turn them all back on at the same time later, it actually uses more energy because of the demand shock or something. Sounds like it could be possible to me.

Technically it does take more power to turn something on than to keep it on for a certain amount of time. Not sure how long for a light bulb.

I was going to turn off all my lights, but it slipped my mind and i remembered at 11 o'clock, lol.

Technically it does take more power to turn something on than to keep it on for a certain amount of time. Not sure how long for a light bulb.
Only when turning something on requires the fluctuations of power inside of capacitors. Generally for incondescent light bulbs, this isn't an issue. But for things like florescent bulbs and your computer; yes, turn them on and off does more harm then good.

Turning your lights off for an hour will do NOTHING for us. Sure, it may save us some huge amount of power; but we already use so much, it doesnt matter. Think of it this way, if you had to travel 50,000 feet to get somewhere, would it really make a difference if you had to travel 50,001? This is the problem with this Earth Day bullshit. Sure, we are saving power for ONE hour, but there are 24 hours a day and 365 days a year... will 1 hour a year really make a difference? Not at all.

There is something fundamentally wrong with this sentence, because I have read it about 6 times and it still doesn't make any sense.

I do not trust some retard on the internet. I trust reputable sources that provide actual evidence. He made a statement that had nothing to back it up.

My fault if it really was that confusing.

theres nothing to be aware of imo, the worlds getting colder if anything, 'global warming' is just a catchphrase to help push new taxes (carbon tax), al gores video did nothing but make him millions, poor countrys are handicapped everytime they try to catch up with the west with powerstations. please dont buy into this bullshit.
Now this is an ignorant statement. Its not called "global warming", its called "global climate change". The summers get hotter, and the winters get colder. The rainy areas get more flooded, and the dry areas get more draught. Not to mention, up until recently, the government has been pretending that global climate change doesn't exist; the government was making more money off the energy and power lobbyists than they do now from these new taxes. However, we are at the point that the government can no longer turn a blind eye to environmental damage.

The issue if you ask me? Lack of Nuclear Power Plants. There hasn't been a new Nuclear Power Plant built in this country in over 30 years. Why not? Nuclear power is CLEAN, its efficient and its extremely SAFE, and you only need 1 nuclear power plant to handle the work load of something like 50-100 coal and oil plants. But the energy and power lobbyists that I mentioned before make sure that we don't move to nuclear power because it would stifle a lot of their business.

Back