Easiest Character to learn to parry with?

SykoSniperAUS

[08] Mercenary
Hey peoples.

What character woud you say is the easiest to learn to parry with?

I'm having troubles figuring out all the moves as I'm new to SC4, slowly I am getting to know all the characters and a general idea of their skillset and moves, but I would like to know in your opinion what character would help me parry alot easier to begin with?

Kind regards.

I think most are really the same when it comes to parrying. Some characters though have attacks with a built in impact that can auto parry. Vader has a special parry stance that use force to use Tira has a special pose in JS that allow her to auto counter. So all in all it is not really different for any of the charaters. You should be thinking more along the lines of which characters are easily pariable. I think you should start by learning to parry Nightmare as he has some pretty slow moves. Maybe Astaroth as well.

He says start low, I say start fast like I did.

Go into training and put setsuka's BB on command playback and try Guard impacting that. You'll be pissed before you'll be good, but once you can guard impact her BB you shouldn't have trouble with much else. You also might want to just get familiar with certain combo's or moves. Cervantes is relatively east ro Gi, but you have to be able to tell when something is going to connect.

I think I will do both.

I might try with Kilik seeing as I find him the easiest to use, I think I might spend some time with him training against all available characters in between online matches, because every player is different, some spam some don't.

I think I will actually start training against Cervantes first, he is the one character I come across online the most.

anyore tips I'd be greatfull guys thanks alot.

Since you used "parry" instead of "impact," I get the impression that you favor putting the opponents to the floor (which helps your soul gauge) rather than pushing them away and damaging their soul gauge. For this, you'll want characters that have good floor punishment. Darth Vader particularly comes to mind, since he's got the flashiest floor punishment around. I've yet to try it on a good player, but under guarding settings in training, it looks like with good reflexes, Vader can parry right into a levitation. Under extremely point-blank hits, I've been able to pull off Burial with Astaroth after a parry.

Those are characters that I know personally. I'm sure Voldo has some nice options for floored opponents he can do after a parry. Rock might be able to get into a grab after parry. Algol is a combo machine, and if he can do it fast enough, a good parry makes for massive punishment. Ivy has a mid unblockable that makes opponents not want to get up... though learning her in the first place is a big chore.
These are only follow-ups to a parry, not learning tools, but they will put you into good habits.

if you just want to learn to GI, you can set the training dummy to GI then attack... so you can have little GI wars with them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are three ways to GI...

First : Guess/twitch/We'vebeenstaringforsolongsurelyhewillattackNOW.
Basically throwing a GI out there and hoping that it connects.

Second : Learning which of your character's moves have bad frames on guard, and then practising timing to GI the opponent's punishment attempt.

Third : Reaction... Basically, GIing a slow move, like Cervantes' 4B+K...
Or "Reaction", because I doubt that it should be named as such, GIing a multi-part attack, such as B in Astaroth's 1A,B.

Personally, I'm getting pretty good at "reaction" GI. And I was under the impression that the second style (-frames GI) was the most popular...

So I don't really understand why one would want to practise against Setsuka's BB, since you can't really practise the first style... Or am I wrong...?

You GI off of patterns.

If your opponent has a habit of retaliating after every blocked move (even if it's safe), you GI.

usually, people don't change a whole lot, and so if you pay enough attention to the flow of the match you can tell when people are going to try to attack. then you GI.

The problem is when you forget to GI and start eating SG damage, or you end up inputting 2G instead of 3G (I blame my pad for that. >_<)

... if you use the aGIs, I suppose.

GI speeds are universal, parrying (4_1) always having more leniency than impacting (6_3).

(I'd make a joke about how Setsuka JIs better but that'd just lead to confusion.)

learn to GI cervy's 4B+K or even BBB (third B is GIable), it'll come in handy.

It's fine to GI BBB against total scrubs (most of them are), but if you try to GI that and the opponent uses BB4B+K, you'll eat a direct hit from 4B+K.

You GI off of patterns.

thats pretty much it. GI's will destroy predictable players but if you yourself become predictable with GI's then you can get punished massively for it.

the exception to this is GI'ing on reaction, when you GI slow moves that they have already commited to... thats just all down to your timing, stuff like asta 1[a]b, mitsu 1aB, cerv 4b+k etc.

I would say the worst thing to do is learn Vader's force repel. My roomate has got that down pat, but I've seen that with any other characters now he just throws a GI out hoping to catch someone off guard. It may work a few times but most people now expect it and he gets punished badly. Now he don't know what to do. I've seen people just stand there as he tries to throw out Gi after GI and just destroy him.

It's fine to GI BBB against total scrubs (most of them are), but if you try to GI that and the opponent uses BB4B+K, you'll eat a direct hit from 4B+K.

Ummm... I'm pretty sure I'd get a guaranteed iGDR after the HORRIBLE choice of attempting to parry the third hit (at the very least a rush in..which usually leads to a graple attempt at the very least). I've honestly never seen a cervy really use the 4B+K ending because...honestly...the move is impactable on reaction even in that case. And good cervy's don't finish the third hit unless hey see they have the counter hit (it IS hit confimable)...which means you couldn't impact anyway.

And honestly... the best person to learn to parry with... is whomever you are planning on using. The timing HONESTLY really isn't any difference from character to character (unless you are not using normal parries/impacts)...which means just use your main to "learn". I assume by now this thread has no point.. but I'm posting anyway :)

is there any definative info on impact windows? smaller weapons seem to have faster impact animations than the big swords n axes, i dont think theres much in it but setsukas my fave to impact with. or am i completly wrong and theyre all the same?

They're all the same frames from character to character (Though 4/1G has a larger window than 6/3G, in case you didn't know). What does change from character to character is the hitbox they create when they GI, though this only usually matters when parrying Algol's bubbles.

Back