Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

I played the game first on PS3 and I still remember having terrible framerate problems. I think it's mostly related to characters, they slow down the game considerably, more than anything else. The more of them on the screen, the worst framerate. I did battle for castle kvatch quest at level 20+ with all that big ass daedra and it literally run at 5 fps, Ive never seen anything like that on any console/game.

I agree with Engared, I actually thought that Oblivion was awesome the first time I played it, but then it became boring and easy. The balance mods on PC change the game so that it's much more enjoyable. The enemies dont level up with you and they are fixed so most of them will kick your butt at the beginning and you will have to level up before you can match them. And also the new super bosses, they kind of seem like Final Fantasy optional bosses. I still havent been able to beat some of them, most notably Umbra, who is also present in un-modded version of the game and known as one of the toughest opponents. I die in 1-2 hits all the time.

I tried playing Morrowind but.. not to sound like a graphic whore, the character animation is like the worst I have ever seen in a video game. It's just repulsive, I cant play at 3rd person view with it, it's too distracting for me. Even old PSX games had motion capture done, I dont understand why they didnt do that for morrowind.... and if they did, they did it wrong.

Morrowind was so atmospheric! Thats why i think it was by far a better game. Though Oblivion had that in spades as well, Morrowind was unique. You basically were playing a foreigner in a foreign land which has strange customs, strange lands and strange sights. The moment you step off the boat, its an experience!

You had to walk from place to place as well and though that "wasted" a lot of time, you wandered around and ran into stuff you would not have seen if you just fast travelled everywhere. I remembered so many times wandering off the beaten path and finding myself in a swamp. Surrounded by massive creatures. With Teeth. And Fangs...

There was no fast travelling in Morrowind? I don't know, this game was kind of a turn off for me from the start, even the Shivering Isles had similar atmosphere and I didn't like it. Maybe I will still try playing it again but it's gonna be hard. Funny, because I have no problem playing old NES/SNES/PSX games yet it's really hard for me to go back to Morrowind.

@Slayer, lol, I love those games. I played through most of old FFs I still want to try the PSP remakes. I agree, classic video games ftw. That was the time I had most fun with games, not today...

Morrowind was DEFINITELY better than Oblivion... thats not saying Oblivion is a bad game; on the contrary, Oblivion was awesome, but Morrowind was way better. There are several problems with Oblivion, the main one being that the central storyline was awful and boring; the side missions were way more fun. Before you knew it, you were so lost in side missions that you forgot that there was a central storyline to begin with.

Another major problem is the leveling system. The leveling system was so complicated and out of whack that if you didn't level up properly (there are HUGE guides around the web explaining how to level up properly, and its very confusing), you could severely fuck up your build and make the game substantially harder for yourself. Basically, the easiest way to play the game is to not level AT ALL. Since mobs in the game level up with you, if you level up poorly, the game gets insanely harder as you progress. The point you hit level 16, you're fucked (at that level, mobs get stun abilities).

All these problems were fixed in Fallout 3... Thats why I think Fallout 3 was better too.

Morrowind was DEFINITELY better than Oblivion... thats not saying Oblivion is a bad game; on the contrary, Oblivion was awesome, but Morrowind was way better. There are several problems with Oblivion, the main one being that the central storyline was awful and boring; the side missions were way more fun. Before you knew it, you were so lost in side missions that you forgot that there was a central storyline to begin with.

Another major problem is the leveling system. The leveling system was so complicated and out of whack that if you didn't level up properly (there are HUGE guides around the web explaining how to level up properly, and its very confusing), you could severely fuck up your build and make the game substantially harder for yourself. Basically, the easiest way to play the game is to not level AT ALL. Since mobs in the game level up with you, if you level up poorly, the game gets insanely harder as you progress. The point you hit level 16, you're fucked (at that level, mobs get stun abilities).

All these problems were fixed in Fallout 3... Thats why I think Fallout 3 was better too.

Cept that Fallout 3 missed the point of Fallout. Boring as backdrops, dull quests, super duper serious and the "dark humor" was more cruel than funny.

Fallout NV on the other hand was brilliant, cept for the crap ton of bugs. But look pass that and that was a proper Fallout game.

Hm, I always played a mage character and never thought the game was difficult at any level... in fact, the higher was my level the easier it got. I NEVER played a meele character but if it's actually more difficult I might give it a try. Mages are overpowered at higher levels, shield and magic resistance spells make them immune to basically everything, also a very few enemies have resistance to paralyze, which is the most broken spell in the game. You can add paralyze for 1sec to any offensive spell and then you will have to try hard to die in this game... it's even easier with DLC and Shivering isles which gives you the access to previously unobtainable spells like reflect damage, drain attribute, reanimate etc... =(

So, in short, is meele character more fun than a mage?

Nope, it's "Run back and forth + punish whiffed shit"

If you fight more than one strong enemy later on and you haven't twinked the shit out of your stats (Which is bloody boring and takes forever) then there will be a lot more running.

MINI WALL O TEXT...

Hm, I always played a mage character and never thought the game was difficult at any level... in fact, the higher was my level the easier it got. I NEVER played a meele character but if it's actually more difficult I might give it a try. Mages are overpowered at higher levels, shield and magic resistance spells make them immune to basically everything, also a very few enemies have resistance to paralyze, which is the most broken spell in the game. You can add paralyze for 1sec to any offensive spell and then you will have to try hard to die in this game... it's even easier with DLC and Shivering isles which gives you the access to previously unobtainable spells like reflect damage, drain attribute, reanimate etc... =(

So, in short, is meele character more fun than a mage?
its alot better if you mix urself up a little bit with might and magic. if you go the pure warrior route, the game does get harder, because your damage output is not as high as a mage, and while ur armor is heavy enough to protect you ok, low agility will usually stagger you often. you dont even need complex spells either, just simple touch based spells that can deal damage through shields, use shield wall tactics, whiff punish, and get ur illusion high enough to learn night eye(or get a ring of night eye.) so that u dont have to worry about seeing in the dark, and after that ur basically capable of handling any challenge, even if it does turn out that ur agility ends up being crap.

to take care of mobs, if u can, u can bottleneck them in doorways or corners or you can injure a few of them really quickly right off the bat with what little magic you do have to get them out of the way more easily.

other than that, i wouldnt bother with magic for a warrior except the basics required for enchanting. you should strive for ur 1st set of fully enchanted equipment ASAP to be prepared to deal with daedra such as clanfear(particularily enchanted armor for added defense, but a magic weapon helps get them out of the way quicker.

for healing, as i said in my 1st post try to depend on potions. not only will this give you healing in a pinch, but it also gives you a reason to work on ur alchemy skill(at max level u can make potions that fully restore fatigue, magika and health all in 1 potion. and dont even get me started on the poisons u are capable of making) because ur never going to get restoration high enough to compete with ur high level health bar(unless u make a point of leveling up restoration)

all in all, yea being a warrior is tough, and it takes some brains to figure out the best way to handle situations. but once u get the hang of things, it is extremely thouroghly enjoyble to play a warrior. soon u'll be seeing how far u can crank the difficulty up and still survive, like i do.

ur 3 main stats should be:
-block(shield is the most important part of ur armor since it becomes indestructible while equipped at i think journeyman level? 125% effeciency shield = free guaranteed armor + magic effect)
-weapon(i choose swords usually. enchantment does help, but isnt required incase u find ur weapons undercharged)
-armor(usually heavy is best for a warrior, the extra protection helps alot early on and ur typically going to max out ur strength rating very quickly, even if you dont train)

other important skills include:
-athletics(fatigue regen)
-destruction(touch based spells for provoking and withering down enemies. also they go through shields)
-armorer(to keep ur equipment at tip top 125% effeciency at all times)
sneak(a nice, easy way to get ur agility up. u shud at least invest some time in this for the thieves guild or dark brotherhood anyways. plus getting the jump on a group of enemies can make things alot easier)
-alchemy(to make sure u have the most effective way of healing urself in a pinch. plus the little extra magika gained from intelligence doesnt hurt at all.)

and optional skills that are cool to have:
-acrobatics(doing rolls and stuff is cool)
-alteration(walk on water, feather, and breathe underwater is pretty much all u need)
-illusion(night eye pretty much. if ur magika is high enough u can spam paralysis spells at high levels for free damage)
-mysticism(pretty much just soul trap and detect life is what u need)

so basically ur endurance will max out very fast due to having at least 2 endurance dependent skills. ur strength will come easy, and speed, well isnt really important anyways since ur the tank. destruction will come over time, no need to force it. i suggest u train illusion and mysticism only for those spells i mentioned, but its not needed or required.. alteration is merely a convenience, so u can build up athletics better. acrobatics is just cool, not needed(i never use it lol) and really, the only thing that u seriously need to try to train(and it isnt even that hard to do) is sneak to make sure that ur agility rating is high enough. other than that u really dont have to force anything with a warrior type. so to simplify what i said:

strength: comes naturally
willpower: comes naturally
endurance: comes naturally
speed: insignificant for a warrior
intelligence: comes naturally
personality: insignificant
agility: the only thing u must make sure u train. this can be easily leveled by using sneak.
luck: for your own judgement

Even old PSX games had motion capture done, I dont understand why they didnt do that for morrowind.... and if they did, they did it wrong.

I suspect the power of imagination at work with your memory. I've seen it happen before. "AW Man spyro looked so awesome" "Oh really, this is spyro: *Link to spyro*" "Awwwwww maaaaan."

Thanks for the replies (Slayer, lol "mini" wall of text :P). Yea, I suspected that the most fun typ of a character would be a combination of both meele and magic. I shall give it a try after I'm done with my current character.

I suspect the power of imagination at work with your memory. I've seen it happen before. "AW Man spyro looked so awesome" "Oh really, this is spyro: *Link to spyro*" "Awwwwww maaaaan."
I don't think it's my imagination. Games like FF8 definitely had some motion capture going for character animation (it was available for games at that time) I'm not saying that the game looked better (it's impossible given PSXs hardware limitations) but there were some aspects in which Morrowind or even Oblivion couldn't even compare to that game. FF8 or FF9 had some crazy particle effects from magic/summoning that Bethesda games could only dream of.

iirc there was no fast travel in morrowind...if there was i never once used it. instead, you could travel between cities and had to run from there, which was far far far better then giving us the option to fast travel. fast travel is just too tempting and really hurts the exploration factor. also in morrowind by the endgame i could just leap over multiple buildings at once or fly wherever i wanted. :D

that said, ring, graphics aside, here is how i compare elder scrolls 3 with 4...i spent about 60 hours on oblivion, completing all side quests and completely breaking my mage.

i spent almost 400 hours on morrowind doing the same thing.

Thanks for letting me know, I think it'd prefer to spend that time playing some other games then. I'm not all that eager to spend countless hours over one videogame, unless it's SC5 :p

Alright so how the hell does the leveling system in this game work? I was at lv 10 and I raised one of my stats by just walking around casting protect on myself for no reason and it said I went up a lv. I had just turned lv10 and it confused me as I hadnt really done anything.

Oh and I closed some oblivion gates and had the sigil stones, I was getting to heavy and I placed my stuff in a chest in one of the mages guild and did the quest to get the house in anvil so I could put my stuff in. When I went back to collect all my magical weapon and magic armor and sigil stones and my Ninroot they were gone. I almost punched my tv........ do the sigil stones go back into oblivion? or do I have to go into more gates and collect them?

No, unfortunately it seems you have placed your items in a chest that respawns after a certain time... which means everything you put there is gone forever. The best way to store items for free imo is the chest that's inside Weynon's Priory (the one that Jauffre unlocks for you to give you some items, it never respawns)

Alright so how the hell does the leveling system in this game work? I was at lv 10 and I raised one of my stats by just walking around casting protect on myself for no reason and it said I went up a lv. I had just turned lv10 and it confused me as I hadnt really done anything.

Oh and I closed some oblivion gates and had the sigil stones, I was getting to heavy and I placed my stuff in a chest in one of the mages guild and did the quest to get the house in anvil so I could put my stuff in. When I went back to collect all my magical weapon and magic armor and sigil stones and my Ninroot they were gone. I almost punched my tv........ do the sigil stones go back into oblivion? or do I have to go into more gates and collect them?

Oh shit. You're a little hosed amigo. That stuff is not coming back for the reasons that ring listed. Best thing to do is to drop them in a chest in a house you own or a quest chest. The chests in inns (paid rooms) for example don't respawn and your stuff is protected from npc's behind a locked door. And you can never drop a sigil stone. There is some weird bug where when you drop them they freak out and vanish.

Thanks for letting me know, I think it'd prefer to spend that time playing some other games then. I'm not all that eager to spend countless hours over one videogame, unless it's SC5 :p

Yeah but it was a well spent 400 hours haha. I did 174 hours on it. but you could finish morrowind in 6 mins as well so....

Well seeing as how I screwed up and lost all my stuff I'm fine now since I have a house and can get into the arcane university. I made a staff that has soul trap but I don't really know how it works do I need too have soul gems at all times? or what?

I murdered everyone in the dark brotherhood with apples and garlic. The dark brotherhood give you awesome items, I'm saddened that I can't buy the weapons the merchant was selling though, ya know since i murdered him and all. Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap summoning spell? I want to raise my conjuration stats.

You're in the Arcane University, right? Just build a really small Make Dagger spell or something, and you should be fine.

Darkbrotherhood completed, so I can male a conjunction spell at the university so where can i buy a cheap spell?

Back