Equipment break discussion/poll

Should the armor break mechanic be removed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here is the thing that really surprises me about PS's decision to implement this feature and keep it there for the span of games its been included. It will end up annoying far more people than not because different people will dislike it for different reasons.

First off it directly conflicts with "CAS-a-holics" who particularly enjoy creating characters with cool outfits only to have them stripped and destroyed every match. They generally speaking won't enjoy this feature because they may have put time and effort into making them.

Secondly there are definitely certain people that are put-off by the fan-servicey sexualization aspect of the mechanic and find it creepy and disturbing to see characters' clothing stripped in the middle of a duel.

Lastly you also have groups of people such as myself who are a little picky about character aesthetics and appearances and find it visually odd to see a platemail dressed Knight in underwear and no shoes.
Yeah I agree. There should be an option to turn it off. I too like seeing character aesthetics myself and find it annoying to just see that all taken away with equipment destruction.

I feel like in certain cases equipment break aids in immersion, but at the same time, if the be-all, end-all formula for it results in everyone being butt-naked by the end, then I'd prefer to toggle for it to be turn on or off.

I'm not sure because i'll admit i havent really payed much attention but did i see somewhere in the general discussion that Raphael has attacks or whatever that specifically take off certain clothing? Or was i mistaken? That i feel can kind of make sense coming from a skilled fencer but then i suppose they cant really make that just exclusive to him.

Is it that this thing ONLY occurs during lethal hits? I thought Okubo and others said from a while back that was the case but whenever i see matches, it looks pretty random.

If this thing must be implemented, i would prefer GBs and UBs only trigger it. That way it is used specifically as an embarassment of sorts to anyone attempting to abuse that RE mechanic. With clear visual indication of it.

Just give us toggle options. The way its done in this game looks horrible, and makes no difference to the actual gameplay. Since its all for show, let us choose what gets broken.

Is there a way to show this poll to the developer?

I'm not sure because i'll admit i havent really payed much attention but did i see somewhere in the general discussion that Raphael has attacks or whatever that specifically take off certain clothing? Or was i mistaken?

One Soul Charged attack from Ralph stripped off all of Cervy's breakable clothes/armor. 😳😱

Is it that this thing ONLY occurs during lethal hits? I thought Okubo and others said from a while back that was the case but whenever i see matches, it looks pretty random.

I'm sure it's happen during CE (have in mind end of Astaroth's CE). Pretty sure it happens with CH and some throw.

I don't think I ever saw a full match without armor break.

Ok... i'll admit that shit with Raph is actually kind of comical and entertaining to watch. He gets a pass in my book but he is so far the only exception i've seen due to the random nature of it. It needs to be something more specific and rare, such as certain attacks from Soul charge or something like that. Instead of just every single match clothes will come off.

Here is the thing that really surprises me about PS's decision to implement this feature and keep it there for the span of games its been included. It will end up annoying far more people than not because different people will dislike it for different reasons.

First off it directly conflicts with "CAS-a-holics" who particularly enjoy creating characters with cool outfits only to have them stripped and destroyed every match. They generally speaking won't enjoy this feature because they may have put time and effort into making them.

Secondly there are definitely certain people that are put-off by the fan-servicey sexualization aspect of the mechanic and find it creepy and disturbing to see characters' clothing stripped in the middle of a duel.

Lastly you also have groups of people such as myself who are a little picky about character aesthetics and appearances and find it visually odd to see a platemail dressed Knight in underwear and no shoes.
I kind of have an issue with "over fanservice". Ivy is a prime example. I genuinely can say ivy is probably one of my least favourite characters. I don't DISLIKE her but, her appearance and demeanor rub me the wrong way.

I like armor break cause it's funny. I just choose not to take it seriously. I've basically convinced myself that a lot of characters have joke breaks. Mitsu for example.

I really understand why people don't like it. I didn't really like it at first. Then I began to just find it funny. I find it very difficult to dislike things outright. I still personally would prefer some sort of toggle, just so people who don't like it don't have to (please imagine Patrick's voice) look at it. Heh, I'm laughing at my own joke already. I'd prefer everyone to be as happy as they can with this. I just want SC to be successful honestly. Also I need to stop rambling.

Personally I find in some cases armor breaks make the experience more immersive, like Taki's torn outfit I think is a really good use of this feature and Raphael's soul charge attack that strips the opponent, but for the most part I find the armor breaks to be a little more comical than anything, especially since this roster is heavy on Male gender cast, so it feels more humor than fan service to me. That's not to say that the fan service aspect isn't there because it definitely is, but it doesn't weird me out personally. That being said I can definitely see how it could make some people uncomfortable so again I'm in favor of toggling it on and off, but personally I I think it's kind of neat.

I liked it in 4 but not now. If they can do that with all parts(including CAS) then they should, but if they can’t then just leave it out all together. It’s not as necessary as some other features.

Just git gud and don't get hit.
Problem solved. Kappa

But on a serious note i think a toggle would be smart and customer friendly.
Especially when it's really only cosmetic.

On the other side Ivy "fully" clothed is so naked already, i couldn't care less, and Mitsu in undies actually brings gender equality.

Also the developers invested work in that, so i could understand them being miffed when you just turn it off.

Last edited:
seinfeld_stand-up.jpg

So what's the deal with underwear in SoulCalibur?

Ever notice that the weapons in SoulCalibur, even the all-powerful Soul Edge, can't seem to destroy a character's underwear?

Hey, here's a suggestion for Siegfried & friends: Why don't you make your armor out of underwear? First person to implement this idea will be unstoppable!

Just give us toggle options. The way its done in this game looks horrible, and makes no difference to the actual gameplay. Since its all for show, let us choose what gets broken.

Is there a way to show this poll to the developer?

I think maybe our best option is to wait a bit. I assume this site will get more traction as the game releases. More people will show up and vote. Its a bit too late to expect anything done about it right now anyway. Best case scenario is if the game rereleases on future consoles or they decide to go the route of a "special edition" release (doubt that because of season passes). Otherwise we would have to wait for SC7 for this to get addressed.

I think maybe our best option is to wait a bit. I assume this site will get more traction as the game releases. More people will show up and vote. Its a bit too late to expect anything done about it right now anyway. Best case scenario is if the game rereleases on future consoles or they decide to go the route of a "special edition" release (doubt that because of season passes). Otherwise we would have to wait for SC7 for this to get addressed.
In the meantime, I made a topic on the game's Steam page that brings up this issue:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/544750/discussions/0/1735465524721742012/

Since equipment destruction doesn't impact stats in this game, a toggle option seems like something they can easily patch in the future.

If they really wanted to do it, couldn't they do an update patch for the game? Other console games have content added or glitch fixes through patches, right?

seinfeld_stand-up.jpg

So what's the deal with underwear in SoulCalibur?

Ever notice that the weapons in SoulCalibur, even the all-powerful Soul Edge, can't seem to destroy a character's underwear?

Hey, here's a suggestion for Siegfried & friends: Why don't you make your armor out of underwear? First person to implement this idea will be unstoppable!

Queue baseline

Toggle - especially since it isn't used as a visual cue to show areas for extra damage. That way break fans and non-fans can have the visuals they prefer. It's clear that the feature really bothers some people. The sentiment has been popping up on these forums for a little over a decade now...
The armor system is pointless for the most part. It's just embarrassing when you get beat down in your undies.
Personally, I consider armor break as a fun/funny extra element to the game, and I build any CAS character with the break state in mind. I just need full Ghosts N Goblins strawberry boxers under plate.

I wanted to revisit this topic since people have played the beta and actually experienced the mechanic first hand. What are the thoughts? Has actually playing the game altered anyone's opinions? Did you change your vote?

Its worth noting different characters are affected differently. Poor Sophie is barefoot every fight i see her but Ivy... they will never strip the heels off that woman.

As I can say, it sucks for going up against Mitsu if you don't like the break. 1A breaks low on tech and on KO, and it also breaks mid after low is broken. I break fully almost every game because the 1b mixup is my bread and butter. I personally still find it funny. At least on other people. It's kinda embarrassing when it happens to me lol.

I think people will just get used to it. It doesn't look like it's going to change.

Back