Ezio Matchup Discussion

I will. Thanks.

However, are you sure the other characters FC A keeps them crouching? I'm pretty sure it's not the case. With Raph, ZWEI and Hilde I'd get nailed by his NS K when trying FC A.

Oh, you meant TC frames and not staying in FC. FC As keep all characters in FC (that is, when the move ends they're still crouching) but the TC frames on them vary, so it's still possible to be hit by highs at certain points.

What do u guys think are ezio's worst matchups? I have like no clue lol

Natsu and Ivy are nasty, imho. I'm not even saying they are the wrosts, just that they are the wrosts I've noticed. I haven't really fought the whole roster to a good extent.

Not being able to punish Natsu's 66B (unless with Ezio's CE) is a serious disadvantage. JG helps a lot against her.

As for Ivy, her diagonal techs pretty much neutralize Ezio's BA pressure. And she can punish the crossbow very easily. Oh, and she can also play very safe in close range, which kinda neutralize Ezio's other strong point, which is close range punishment. And Ezio can't punish her 66(A).

I honestly think the Ivy match up is a 5-5. The point of your crossbow game is to capitalize on her longrange whiffs which you must bait and dominate her with 4B+K until shes forced to play up close. Then you gotta use quick pokes and grabs to push her away forcing her for more long/midrange whiffing. When it ultimately becomes a close up battle 66A becomes your friend when you know shes going for a stupid dumb 3B. PS never re-GI her, just duck when that happens because she is probably gonna CE you. Her step/crouch moves give Ezio trouble but its all manageable in my opinion.

Natsu again is pretty similar, you gotta back dash a lot and draw whiffs, AA is unfortunately your best meterless option for many of her quick attacks. Her range sucks and you have to be able to exploit that and know your options when you are grounded. Know when to duck and when JG.

As for worst match ups...erm...I typically think Mitsurugi, Siegfried, and Oprah. But those are more so from my standpoint concerning how often i get mad and struggle with these match ups.

I honestly think the Ivy match up is a 5-5. The point of your crossbow game is to capitalize on her longrange whiffs which you must bait and dominate her with 4B+K until shes forced to play up close. Then you gotta use quick pokes and grabs to push her away forcing her for more long/midrange whiffing. When it ultimately becomes a close up battle 66A becomes your friend when you know shes going for a stupid dumb 3B.

Natsu again is pretty similar, you gotta back dash a lot and draw whiffs.
Generally, you need a whiff to punish Ivy with the cross bow. She needs only to block your crossbow to punish you. I think the long range battle favors her. And yes, 66A is fundamental against her, but it does take away the threat of a height mix-up. If she ducks against it, she eats only a little damage.

As for Natsu's range... well, her bombs have a surprisingly good range and Ezio has a hard time punishing them, as well.

When she teleports up, I figured circling to her back (her left) is often enough to avoid even her low horizontal option of attack. Hope this helps.

Generally, you need a whiff to punish Ivy with the cross bow. She needs only to block your crossbow to punish you. I think the long range battle favors her. And yes, 66A is fundamental against her, but it does take away the threat of a height mix-up. If she ducks against it, she eats only a little damage.

66A is a mid, she can't duck it unless she does a TC or a STC.

As for worst match ups...erm...I typically think Mitsurugi, Siegfried, and Oprah. But those are more so from my standpoint concerning how often i get mad and struggle with these match ups.

I was talking to Slayer and we both came to the consensus that Sieg vs Ezio is probably 5-5/6-4(Sieg) it's not that bad but you have to play a bit safer.

I usually don't have much problems against Mitsu surprisingly and this is after playing against HumanTyphoon both online and offline.

Oprah, well I don't know many good oprah players or any at all for that matter.

If I were to choose a character that gives Ezio difficulty I would say that Cervantez is probably one of the hardest match ups I've come across. He can abuse aB and Ezio really can't do much about it, same with 3B and I believe that Vantez can play the mid range game better than Ezio can. I usually have to switch to Pat in the match up because I feel its 7-3 or 8-2 (Vantez) or perhaps I just need more Vantez practice.

66A is a mid, she can't duck it unless she does a TC or a STC.
I meant it hits her, but it doesn't do much damage.

As for Cervy, I agree he is nasty vs Ezio. Besides the attacks you've mentioned, there is also that downwards strike with both swords in one hand. The push back on that thing is very frustrating. It keeps Ezio on a terrible range, so Cervy can go to town on him.

My roughest matchups when I use ezio have been astaroth,rugi and cervantes. A big F U to cervantes and rugi...matchup with those guys are just ridiculous, I usually switch and just let my alpha do the talking...(alpha is stupid too)

Anyway I agree with the jimbonator about ivy, rugi ugh feels awful to me. And astaroth feels like 4-6 for me.

I meant it hits her, but it doesn't do much damage.
If she starts ducking your 66As, nail the bitch with 66B BE to make her cut that out. If she starts to sidestep 66B, nail her with 66A.

As for Cervy, I agree he is nasty vs Ezio. Besides the attacks you've mentioned, there is also that downwards strike with both swords in one hand. The push back on that thing is very frustrating. It keeps Ezio on a terrible range, so Cervy can go to town on him.
After blocking 33B, pushing buttons is generally suicide because it's only -3 and it forces crouch. Trying to attack afterwards usually results in him backdashing your attack and you eating a 3B or iGDR. You should step this move as much as possible, especially if he starts doing it in succession.

Ezio's AA whiffing when trying to punish Cerv's 3B is really annoying. You guys might want to take a leaf out of Aeon's book and do K punishes instead. CE punish whenever possible.

For aB (which is a completely retarded move) you might be able to punish at your absolute closest range with 6B or 6K. I know Yoshimitsu can land 6K at absolute closest range so if 6B BE works, this can help the matchup a lot. CE might work from better ranges. Another trick you might want to try is "punishing" by whiffing the first couple of hits of 1BBB. I know I'm not the only one who sees the first two hits whiff and pushes a stupid button that results in the 3rd hit CHing.

Twitch ducking is suicide against Cervantes, but if you read the 1AB, punish the hell out of it to discourage him from using it more. You can get 66BB, 44K, or 1K.

Versus Siegfried, I don't really have much trouble with Ezio. After blocking 3(B)/WR (B), quickstep into A+B beats all immediate stance options. If he starts realigning his attacks in stance, you can 6AAB or 3B, which will get you a CH because the realign will make his stance attacks come out later. 3B and 6AAB also beat SCH B and SCH A but lose to SCH K after blocked 3(B)/WR (B) and you will net CHs. If he starts cancelling stance (which makes A+B blockable) you can hit him with 66BB.

44B and 2A+B are excellent ways of discouraging wakeup WR B. Once you get that out of the way you can work the 11K/22K mixup.

Also, whiff punish/JG punish as much as possible with 6B BE.

If she starts ducking your 66As, nail the bitch with 66B BE to make her cut that out. If she starts to sidestep 66B, nail her with 66A.

66A is a mid and she can't duck it.

The thing is, even making you consider using 66A is a considerable advantage to her.

Why? 66A is Ezio's best approach method as 66A is only -6 on block, if they block it you can usually 2k them before then can do anything. It's also +2 on NH and +8 on CH, get use to hit confirming into B on CH or you have 3 more options. If you hit it you can go for the B which is the arrow follow up, you can 6B BE for a good amount of damage, or you can do what I do and go for a grab if they push a button or you grab them fast enough you can get a side or a back throw sometimes. Hell if they start ducking after you can 66BB or just BB BE them.

TL;DR: 66A is awesome, use it.

66A is a mid and she can't duck it.
I know. He was saying she might duck when you run up so she can avoid throws, and if you do 66A it's only 20 damage. That's why I suggested 66BB as a stronger mid if she ducks.

you can 6B BE for a good amount of damage
Wait, really? I thought you could only get 6B BE off a WR A counter hit.

I know. He was saying she might duck when you run up so she can avoid throws, and if you do 66A it's only 20 damage. That's why I suggested 66BB as a stronger mid if she ducks.

Wait, really? I thought you could only get 6B BE off a WR A counter hit.

Meh that's theory talk now. Assuming she ducks than yeah 66BB is always the better option out of the two but if we are talking about safe approaches then 66A is what you should be using against her or any member of the cast and if you still want to use 66BB than you should be using that at tip range and only doing a single B

You can 6B BE off of both, though I can't do it online for the life of me the timing seems tight online.

The wiki says 66A is only +8 on CH. It'd have to be +15 or more to combo 6B BE, wouldn't it?

Edit: Checked. 66A definitely doesn't combo into anything other than crossbow followup. You must be thinking of WR A.

Anyways if CH 66A → 6B BE is a combo then holy shit 66A is an absurdly good move. I abuse it enough as is when I troll with Ezio. The only matchups I don't flat out spam it at mid range is versus Xiba and Siegfried due to their aGIs.

I've personally never seen CH 66A, 6B BE work ever.

Also figured i would toss in a few things on the Cervy matchup.

The number one mistake I see people do in this matchup is teching when there is a guaranteed iGDR follow up. You're better off taking your chances on the ground then teching and risk eating an iGDR relaunch. This means after B+G, iGDR x2, CH 1A:B, 2A+B, CH 22AA, CH 44K, and BT B+K air hit teching is your worst enemy. I can't even tell you how many people I've pulled 200 damage on because they teched at the wrong time.

As far as character specific stuff goes.
1AB- After this on NH Cervy is only at -6 and Ezio is still in trouble here. aB will come out only at i17 which means that if you do anything slower than that you risk eating 40 damage. If you are confident in yourself 1BBB would be the best thing to do after this if you expect Cervy to attack at all as it will beat out any follow up he tries.

aB-Even if it isn't punishable by Ezio (I have no way to test so sorry :[ ) it is still -18. You may not be able to get a punish but you do get a free mixup.

4B BE- This is probably the worst situation to be in ever. Upon blocking this you are forced into a mixup between. BT B+K, 1AB, and grabs. No option you have is going to beat them all. Stepping beats BT B+K but guarantees the grab and a CH 1AB. Also a delayed BT B+K can catch step. Ducking/jumping beats the 1AB and the grab but loses to BT B+K. Using 9B in anticipation of either is the better option over ducking. As if you guess wrong you take a lot less damage.

2A+B- Breaks in ~12 and is only -10 on guard. Make sure you use the momentum shift to give yourself the edge and make sure this move isn't abused on you.

Also long range is a bad game to play against Cervy as his B+K aGI eats away both crossbows. Make sure to only use the crossbow as a whiff punish.

One thing to add, when you block an aB ONLY in close range, can you 6B him. aside from that, 3B and CE are the only things that he can do here.

You can JG the second hit of 1AB to get at least a free 6B (it's +6 on hit) so if he tries anything upon getting hit he will get beat out by 1BBB, because aB is i11 and with the frame advantage, 1BBB will be i10 for the immediate followup and will catch them for a CH if they press buttons to try and beat him.

His CE will whiff because of the TC property of 1BBB.

Back