Fallout 3...

I have it, and so far, I'm very disappointed. I can't stand how inaccurate weapons can be (I'll have my crosshair directly on the enemy, fire, and miss. WTF?). I know some of it's based on skills, but that's just retarded. The story's boring me right now, too. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more once I get a bit further, or else it will have been a waste of $60.

I have it, and so far, I'm very disappointed. I can't stand how inaccurate weapons can be (I'll have my crosshair directly on the enemy, fire, and miss. WTF?). I know some of it's based on skills, but that's just retarded. The story's boring me right now, too. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more once I get a bit further, or else it will have been a waste of $60.

Have you played Oblivion? It's more of an RPG and less of an FPS, and VATS eliminates the need to manually aim in many situations. In those that you'd be better off aiming manually, yes, it is based on your skills. You can explore just about everything you can see, and playing in a post-apocalyptic DC is awesome. The action is certainly not like a Halo, let's say, but it wasn't intended to be.

Have you played Oblivion? It's more of an RPG and less of an FPS, and VATS eliminates the need to manually aim in many situations. In those that you'd be better off aiming manually, yes, it is based on your skills. You can explore just about everything you can see, and playing in a post-apocalyptic DC is awesome. The action is certainly not like a Halo, let's say, but it wasn't intended to be.

Yes, I've played and enjoyed Oblivion. VATS is cool, but once you run out of action points for it, you're stuck firing your weapon manually and missing 90% of your shots. I know it's not meant to be like Halo (not a big shooter fan anyway), but would it've killed Bethesda to do implement some form of aim-assist for people with crappy aiming skills? I'll keep playing, and see if my opinion changes. Hopefully, it does.

I loves me some Fallout 3. I have played through as a good char (with GUNS!) and an evil bastard (Melee!!!) now and both run throughs were fun as hell. Hooray for Bethesda! (though I will say I've randomly crashed ~4 times in the 40+ hours I've put into it... no biggie)

Just beat the game, overall it was very "meh", then again I hated Oblivion, but the one thing that made the game worth every penny of the $63 and change price tag was Liberty Prime. Liberty Prime alone ALMOST made up for all the bugs in the game: audio not playing, text skipping immediately, getting stuck on random rubble, horrible slowdown in the middle of nowhere, the inability to kill children, horrible physics and pathing bugs, etc...

Yes, I've played and enjoyed Oblivion. VATS is cool, but once you run out of action points for it, you're stuck firing your weapon manually and missing 90% of your shots. I know it's not meant to be like Halo (not a big shooter fan anyway), but would it've killed Bethesda to do implement some form of aim-assist for people with crappy aiming skills? I'll keep playing, and see if my opinion changes. Hopefully, it does.

But if you did that, it would almost complete negate using VATS for any type of aiming situation, especially for those that ARE big shooter fans (like me). It would make the game a bit too run-n-gun.

Still playing through my first run.

You're missing 90 percent of your manual shots? Exactly how far away are you shooting from?

But anyway, this game is way too fun.

90%? I actually miss more often when I'm using VATS (I guess I'm good at aiming in this game?), and AP refills fairly fast in my opinion.

...and, isn't the point of VATS to assist aim?

I can understand not liking a game, but the I enjoy this game for the same reasons I enjoyed Oblivion. The huge sandbox world, and all the different items, weapons, quests, etc etc. I'll be playing this game for hours to come.

90%? I actually miss more often when I'm using VATS (I guess I'm good at aiming in this game?), and AP refills fairly fast in my opinion.

Yeah, same here but I'm playing on PC with a mouse. Up close to mid range VATS is easier since you can pause to target. From mid to long range though it's easier to actually shoot normally than it is to use VATS. VATS functions more like bullet time in my games.

did anyone else find the main missions to be incredibly breif? I beat the game in 15 hours and i did complete a number of side missions aswell.... I mean i have gone backa few times since just doing random missions but i just dont see the appeal in it! Maybe RPGs arent for me

I have to admit that the third-person animations are quite shoddy. Bethesda still has much to be desired when it comes to good-looking character models. Running, jumping, these should probably be less awkward looking if they're going to have a third-person mode. But once again, their first person stuff is alright. Shooting isn't really intolerable, as long as you stay a decent distance away from the enemy. VATS is a decent system, and the AP recharge at a decent pace. Melee weapons seemed incredibly superfluous and pretty useless (even with the melee skill maxed). It just seemed much more convenient to just shoot everything.

The main missions were good, but brief, as endnow said. Also, the ending is totally lame. They built it up, and then they kind of just...gave it a big anti-climax.

I have to say that it felt like they took Oblivion and shrunk it down, gave it even worse third-person, and gave it guns.

But all in all it was a decent experience, with pretty good replay value.

I thought it was great other than the ending.

It was no FO 1 or 2 but they still managed a pretty kickass game in my opinion.

Loved fallout 3! Sold it because i played through 3 times, and the endings suck nuts. Outside of that, an awesome game with literally oodles of shit to do. As for the people that can't aim.... Its an RPG....... if you are running around with a broken ass character with like 9 str and shitty dex and agi, then yes... you gonna miss alot and have crappy AP. Also, pick 1 weapon skill to level at a time, and i can't stress enough the need for high int from the get-go. Keep with it, if you keep dying and can't find out why... go look at some forums and remake. It's a good game once you get the learning curve down.

/2 cents

I have to admit that the third-person animations are quite shoddy. Bethesda still has much to be desired when it comes to good-looking character models. Running, jumping, these should probably be less awkward looking if they're going to have a third-person mode. But once again, their first person stuff is alright. Shooting isn't really intolerable, as long as you stay a decent distance away from the enemy. VATS is a decent system, and the AP recharge at a decent pace. Melee weapons seemed incredibly superfluous and pretty useless (even with the melee skill maxed). It just seemed much more convenient to just shoot everything.

The main missions were good, but brief, as endnow said. Also, the ending is totally lame. They built it up, and then they kind of just...gave it a big anti-climax.

I have to say that it felt like they took Oblivion and shrunk it down, gave it even worse third-person, and gave it guns.

But all in all it was a decent experience, with pretty good replay value.

Dissagreed. Melee skill was very useful to me with the Shishkabab.

Love it. can get a little dry seeing the same type of areas, but i do enjoy the "what the fuck is that over there" I tend to get. Having ADHD is a major plus to this game...I'll be on a mission and be like "ooh! Shiny!"...45 minutes later "where the fuck is that girl i was supposed to save?"...as i jiggle all my new bobbly heads.

I just love the freedom in the game, i actually feel attached to the world. Even playing my evil character (she mass murdered all the towns people with guns THEN detonated the bomb to get the children...she's fuckin evil.), sometimes am like, ahhh that's too mean to say to this NPC...Then I'm like wtf?

I don't find the game too hard, little disappointed in how small guns pwn laser, melee, and explosions though.

I started playing it about a month ago, and then dropped it cus I really didn't enjoy the game. I don't see how it is any different from any other FPS aside from a couple gimmicks. I guess I shouldn't be complaining cus I hated Oblivion to the max.

Is this game worth getting for the PS3? I heard there is no DLC support for the PS3 version whatsoever. I would get the PC version if I didn't have such a shitty computer at the moment....

Back