Final Fantasy XIII

I really dont mind the linearity. its like playing an adventure game. until you get to Gran Pulse...

Hope is the best Mage in the game. with the best magic.

Moms are tough.

He must get better later on. Right now for me, he sucks hard. I basically just cast protect then let Lightning kill them while I heal + the occasional RAV.

how to beat any enemy in FFXIII:

1. Libra

2. Auto-Battle

3. Potion when your health gets low (if you're poor you can shift in a MED real fast)

I got em wit dualcasting, commando medic, & commando synergist, Odin.
Im sorry, but this ff is incredibly dissapointing. I have only really played 10, X2, and 12, but i have loved them all and have developed a great appreciation for JRPGs. WTF is this that im playing now. I am 13 hours in and i dont know/dont care about the story or characters, The combat is cool, but im bored with 2 characters at a time, and there has been nothing but long corridors fullof monsters that pose no challenge. When does this game get fun. I keep hearing at chapt 11, but why, play a game for 20 hours waiting for the good part?

hmm. Your not at fault for saying this it's a FF game different from anything we expected. True they made some poor judgements but it's a good game that you would come too enjoy. If you can find a way too ignore vanille she's the worst character in the series behind wakka (FF X)

Once you starti learning the abilities getting summons etc, the story gets stronger.

Hope is one of the best his mage skills are by far the best.

Hope being the best and Hope sucking ass in every way are two different things lol.

He may be a good in game character but everything else about him as a character is so bad it's not even worth looking at him.

Really, why is it that all of you don't want to admit FFXIII is mediocre?

I mean, comparing it to past FF games and trying to rate them is silly. Since 7, square's been playing around with its system quite a bit. And this time, it landed real short of what many FF fans were hoping it would be. And yet I still see a whole lot of them calling it a good game.

I mean, it follows such a ridiculous pattern for more than half the game that I have to wonder how anyone enjoys it. Hallway->Battle->Hallway->Boss->Cutscene->Save->Hallway Repeat. I've tried to figure it out, but simply can't figure out why people like this game. I mean, I suppose the quality of the story is subjective, and I find it only decent, but games don't do well on story alone.

Also- what's up with people hating Hope and/or hating a character who cries a couple times in general? I mean, he's a little kid who watched his mother die and got cursed for life. There's plenty of motivation there for someone to cry, especially considering the timespan of the game isn't that long.

Eh, the pattern isn't much different from Final Fantasy 12's pattern of story-town-dungeon-town-dungeon-story, either. The 'corridor'-effect in FF13 isn't much different from FF10 either. The difference being that in FF10, the camera was fixed. In FF13 the camera is almost always behind the controlled character, accentuating the linearity to a greater degree than FF10 did.

I haven't finished the game yet (just made it into Chapter 12), but as far as the story goes, it lacks exposition. Whereas FFX gave us this unique world of Spira with a fish-out-of-water character like Tidus, exposition was easy to fit into the story and explain the rules and plights that govern Spira. In FF13, we don't really have a character like Tidus (though Vanille sorta fits this model, it's not played to great effect). So explaining the details behind the world of Cocoon and Pulse is difficult. It feels like enormous chunks of the story - specifically exposition pieces - were cut from the game and sidelined into the Datalog/Codex for players to read. I don't want to get into too many details because of spoilers, but there seems to be clear indications where additional story material would've sufficed to help flesh out the characters more and the world setting.

On the other hand, perhaps the way the story and lack of clear explanations with the setting is intentional. FF13 is a multi-part project, and they may be leaving intentional details out for the other games like Versus 13.

As it stands, Hope is probably the most real character. I know a lot of people tend to have a love/hate relationship with him, though. As others have said regarding Hope, he has very real reasons for how acts and why he acts that way. It's even better that he grows and develops through his issues - well before the story ends. He even gets more minor growth through after his resolutions in earlier parts of the story.

I wish I could say the same for other characters. Vanille and Sazh obviously develop more; though Snow is pretty one-dimensional and doesn't see (or really need) much growth. Lightning on the other hand, despite main character status, seems to become more and more mute the further the story develops. The last bit of development for her was near the beginning of chapter 7. This seems to be an issue for FF female protagonists. It may be SE's marketing or interior forces mucking up creative control, but this issue was the same in FF12. It's obvious that Vaan and Penelo contribute nothing to the overall story and that Ashe is the leading character. It seems the only reason Vaan is in the game is because SE didn't want Ashe to be protagonist for some misogynistic fear that players don't like playing female characters.

Well Hope get Haste (Syn) at Stage 9 Crytarium.

Light, Sazh, Vanille at the earlier chapters then Fang, Light, Hope (after CH 11) on the later chapters...

I can accept the game for what it is and have no nerdy rant or complaint. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. It's a different linear experience. I do wonder why they made it like this though. I'm on Chapter 10 btw and about to grind for CP and weapon upgrades like a mother.

ff13 is possibly the most boring game i've ever played as an adult and at least as boring as the most boring games i've ever played in my life (i grew with a nes, and some nes games defied description). i realize at first that must sound like hyperbole, and if i had not been the person playing i would not have believed it myself. justification below.

for the first 5 to 7 hours you will complete every battle perfectly or near perfectly by simply hitting A every second. it will default to auto battle, auto battle will win, ussually perfectly. for five to seven hours.... for the next 10 to 15 hours the above strategy will perfectly defeat every enemy in 85 to 99 percent of all cases. i actually stopped being in the same room and went to the kitchen to cook, just tapping A every few seconds on a wireless controller and listening to hear the i win music. once i won i would push forward on the left stick and 50 to 70 percent of the time id be in a new fight, hear the stupid music and begin tapping a again. occassionally once i was done tapping a id have to navigate past some obstacle then push forward again. then begin tapping a again.

i dont mind that a game is linear. many of my favorite titles of yesteryear were on rails shooters or mostly on rails. but i need a challenge. even once you get to the pulse section, the game is still absurdly simple, i have literally never once reached a fight i didnt beat in three tries, i have died fewer than 10 times in total ( only twice if you dont count eidilon fights) and i am at what i assume is the end, finally. i am in orphan's cradle, i am not sure where to go, and i couldnt care less.

the story is deeply forgettable, the dialogue has you rolling your eyes and cringing (mom's are tough), and despite the fact that i put about 45 hours into this POS i have absolutely no interest in continuing.

id have stopped eons ago but i heard that the gran pulse part was awesome so i figured ok id tough it out. gran pulse was awesome. i did the first 30 or so optional missions. i fought giant things and explored the world a little, then continued the story and here i am at the end.

i blame americans for this game. square obviously looked at what americans like and got the wrong idea. americans like baseball, baseball is incredibly boring. americans like golf, a sport where you literally watch grass grow. americans like nascar, a sport where rednecks drive in circles 500 times. fuck you america.

ff13 is possibly the most boring game i've ever played as an adult and at least as boring as the most boring games i've ever played in my life (i grew with a nes, and some nes games defied description). i realize at first that must sound like hyperbole, and if i had not been the person playing i would not have believed it myself. justification below.

for the first 5 to 7 hours you will complete every battle perfectly or near perfectly by simply hitting A every second. it will default to auto battle, auto battle will win, ussually perfectly. for five to seven hours.... for the next 10 to 15 hours the above strategy will perfectly defeat every enemy in 85 to 99 percent of all cases. i actually stopped being in the same room and went to the kitchen to cook, just tapping A every few seconds on a wireless controller and listening to hear the i win music. once i won i would push forward on the left stick and 50 to 70 percent of the time id be in a new fight, hear the stupid music and begin tapping a again. occassionally once i was done tapping a id have to navigate past some obstacle then push forward again. then begin tapping a again.

i dont mind that a game is linear. many of my favorite titles of yesteryear were on rails shooters or mostly on rails. but i need a challenge. even once you get to the pulse section, the game is still absurdly simple, i have literally never once reached a fight i didnt beat in three tries, i have died fewer than 10 times in total ( only twice if you dont count eidilon fights) and i am at what i assume is the end, finally. i am in orphan's cradle, i am not sure where to go, and i couldnt care less.

the story is deeply forgettable, the dialogue has you rolling your eyes and cringing (mom's are tough), and despite the fact that i put about 45 hours into this POS i have absolutely no interest in continuing.

id have stopped eons ago but i heard that the gran pulse part was awesome so i figured ok id tough it out. gran pulse was awesome. i did the first 30 or so optional missions. i fought giant things and explored the world a little, then continued the story and here i am at the end.

i blame americans for this game. square obviously looked at what americans like and got the wrong idea. americans like baseball, baseball is incredibly boring. americans like golf, a sport where you literally watch grass grow. americans like nascar, a sport where rednecks drive in circles 500 times. fuck you america.

LOL I love FF13 but this is actually true i went too take a piss and decided too bring my controller wit me i was fighting a boss and just hit A auto battle and still won the match.

Like WTF ? It's a ton of fanboys such as yourself who purchased FF 13 played it and said WTF is this. Blame SE not america. SE just suck now there last good games was like 7 years ago if that. It is what it is just give me a few summons cool characters an above avg story and i'm happy. Famitsu gave FF13 all 10's because they japan at best this game is an 8.3 to 8.5

fuck you, that's WHITE AMERICA....you better get your shit right.

WHITE PEOPLE love golf....WHITE PEOPLE love nascar....WHITE PEOPLE love baseball

.....dick

Um... Let's get some facts straight.

Americans like baseball about as much as they like MTV's True Life... it's something to watch.

Golf is an amazing passtime, but even Americans don't like to watch it on TV. Better than watching Hockey on TV though, talk about snoozefest... does anyone score?

Nascar? Really? You think America LOVES nascar? That must be why the sport is dying and like 1500 people in the South like it, Fuckface.

What do you have? Some Moose? Maple Syrup? Give me a break... could you imagine how gay a Canadian Final Fantasy would be? "A french canadian approaches, he has syrup and wine. *cue battle music*"

EH? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh????

You are no Canadian, you are a bastard.

Eh, the pattern isn't much different from Final Fantasy 12's pattern of story-town-dungeon-town-dungeon-story, either. The 'corridor'-effect in FF13 isn't much different from FF10 either. The difference being that in FF10, the camera was fixed. In FF13 the camera is almost always behind the controlled character, accentuating the linearity to a greater degree than FF10 did.

I haven't finished the game yet (just made it into Chapter 12), but as far as the story goes, it lacks exposition. Whereas FFX gave us this unique world of Spira with a fish-out-of-water character like Tidus, exposition was easy to fit into the story and explain the rules and plights that govern Spira. In FF13, we don't really have a character like Tidus (though Vanille sorta fits this model, it's not played to great effect). So explaining the details behind the world of Cocoon and Pulse is difficult. It feels like enormous chunks of the story - specifically exposition pieces - were cut from the game and sidelined into the Datalog/Codex for players to read. I don't want to get into too many details because of spoilers, but there seems to be clear indications where additional story material would've sufficed to help flesh out the characters more and the world setting.

On the other hand, perhaps the way the story and lack of clear explanations with the setting is intentional. FF13 is a multi-part project, and they may be leaving intentional details out for the other games like Versus 13.

As it stands, Hope is probably the most real character. I know a lot of people tend to have a love/hate relationship with him, though. As others have said regarding Hope, he has very real reasons for how acts and why he acts that way. It's even better that he grows and develops through his issues - well before the story ends. He even gets more minor growth through after his resolutions in earlier parts of the story.

I wish I could say the same for other characters. Vanille and Sazh obviously develop more; though Snow is pretty one-dimensional and doesn't see (or really need) much growth. Lightning on the other hand, despite main character status, seems to become more and more mute the further the story develops. The last bit of development for her was near the beginning of chapter 7. This seems to be an issue for FF female protagonists. It may be SE's marketing or interior forces mucking up creative control, but this issue was the same in FF12. It's obvious that Vaan and Penelo contribute nothing to the overall story and that Ashe is the leading character. It seems the only reason Vaan is in the game is because SE didn't want Ashe to be protagonist for some misogynistic fear that players don't like playing female characters.

Yay wall of text. Anyhow-

FF12, though it definitely had a pattern and I didn't like it either, had some dungeon crawling. You generally had to deviate rom your path quite a few times just to advance. Or solve some puzzles as you did so. In FF13, we have a straight line. Treasure chests aren't even hidden well at all, you kinda just know that when the path branches off, there's gonna be a treasure chest at the end. Honestly, I hated FF10, and couldn't understand the hype that game got either. This is mostly because I didn't like any of the characters much at all. The last FF I was interested in was 9.

I understand cutting exposition to a certain point. I mean, you may want to throw your audience into the middle of a world in conflict (which FF13 does) but eventually, you have to come to a point where you tell them what this was all about. FF13 doesn't do this much at all, thus many questions go unanswered.

As for Hope, this is probably why he was my favorite character through the whole thing. He's an actually decently written character that got slapped into the middle of a shoddy story with a ragtag gang of much lesser written characters.

dispute any of my assertions. and how did you know i was canadian? btw, you could fully complete mass effect 2 (a game of the year contender) in the time it takes to reach the point where you can control who is in your party. you could then replay it, maybe switch gender (the person who does female shepard is great and there are some encounters that play out differently) and finish it with time to try it again as a different class or go on to play a different decent game, in the time it would take finish the second boring half of FF13.

oh, it says im from canada. ah well, oops.

dispute any of my assertions. and how did you know i was canadian? btw, you could fully complete mass effect 2 (a game of the year contender) in the time it takes to reach the point where you can control who is in your party.

It says "Ottawa Canada" in your info above your post.

dispute any of my assertions. and how did you know i was canadian? btw, you could fully complete mass effect 2 (a game of the year contender) in the time it takes to reach the point where you can control who is in your party. you could then replay it, maybe switch gender (the person who does female shepard is great and there are some encounters that play out differently) and finish it with time to try it again as a different class or go on to play a different decent game, in the time it would take finish the second boring half of FF13.

oh, it says im from canada. ah well, oops.

I agree with you and wont dispute you. I can even believe that Square made this game with the idea that they were catering to an american crowd. But clearly they were deeply mistaken. BTW football is by far the most popular sport in america bigot.

ya square was definitely making this with Americuh in mind, since Japs aren't known for enjoying grind-fests... Oh wait that's completely wrong.

btw golf >>> hockey

Back