First Impression

Jaybles

[01] Neophyte
How does everyone feel about Maxi now that the game has been out for a couple days?

I'm still hopeful that I'm just not getting the hang of his new 'style' but I feel like he just doesn't have anything going for him. Compared to much of the other cast he's just can't keep up. A couple characters have built in reversal edge combos and a lot of the others are just fast. Maxi's natural combos are ungodly slow with built in delays between stance transitions that make him even slower. While I can break a decent number of reversal edges with a sufficient number of hits, it's far from guaranteed with Maxi due to the speed and frequency of his hits now.

I feel like he's in slow motion. Essentially a rush down character that's forced to play defensively due to his competition. j

I feel like the dev's want us to utilize the auto horizontal GI from the PSL and the vertical GI but that's just a guessing game essentially.

I do not think you are right. I went on a 59 long win streak yesterday with him and only lost due to not knowing xanugh.

Maxi is not going to be S-Teir but he does have a lot of great stuff, and more being discovered daily. He has fast TC punisher at close range 6A+B and long range with 44B which LHs on high crush for about 70+ damage with no bar and no wall or with a bar and a wall anywhere near like 120+. He has CH fishing at range with 22A~LI or 88A to no stance, close range with 6A~RO or B~RO he as an Natural combo that catches step for 80 damage with 4AAAB. he has range closing tools he has in your face tools and stances that when used correctly are just amazing.

If you feel the way you feel then i fear you may not be fully grasping his potential.

A few of us have posted our thought prior in the general discussion. go look around pages 10-13 there should be at least 4 different peoples ideas. here are a couple but there is a lot in there from the beta to now from about page 8ish-13ish

https://8wayrun.com/threads/maxi-general-discussion-the-dandy-of-the-seas.20063/post-765238
https://8wayrun.com/threads/maxi-general-discussion-the-dandy-of-the-seas.20063/post-767038
https://8wayrun.com/threads/maxi-general-discussion-the-dandy-of-the-seas.20063/post-767109
https://8wayrun.com/threads/maxi-general-discussion-the-dandy-of-the-seas.20063/post-767152

I can see where you're coming from since that's kinda how I felt the first time I used Maxi at Evo. After some reflection, I realized that Maxi has to tools to deal with exactly what you're talking about. I'll agree that playing vanilla Maxi from past games is not a great idea the way the game's built now. I had that in mind when I made this

TLDW version, find ways to get to Right Cross and guard break the RE people. If they're interrupting you during stance transitions, think about using those built in stance auto GI's and his wavering lights B+K parry to your advantage. Maxi becomes a lot harder to deal with once you get his GI game up and running.

I've gotten to a point where I can run down most players with ease as Maxi so I was definitely a little too early with my assessment.

I do appreciate what you left twiggy, it did help. Thanks. Marginal, I'll look into your stuff too. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
this maxi can poke and punish HARD, Plus he finally has frames.
But with out OPTIONS his chain moves are Gimmicks. Put enough vids of him online and people will know how to avoid everything and never be surprised. Forcing you to play the poke game first, random gimmicks second.

Best thing about SC6Maxi: HE HAS FRAMES and is safe

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm hoping to see some frame data for him soon. I've been getting into a lot of poke battles with high level players that really take the fun out of playing Maxi.

Even keeping it simple requires more caution than you'd think. RO AK is -13 on block, so go for the charge K if you want to end the string safely.

Yeah, I'm hoping to see some frame data for him soon. I've been getting into a lot of poke battles with high level players that really take the fun out of playing Maxi.
I decided to learn this new Maxi playing him as if the opponent would not fall for my gimmicks. Focusing on the core essentials: spacing and ringouts, pokes, throws, amazing TC punish moves 6a+b/44b and paying alot of attention to hit confirm all my strings, less so for RO A,K and 1b. Also on hit confirm, applying string kick enders and 44k wakeup frame advantage pressure. Feinting: 4b+k,g cancels, a,g. This playstyle showed me how strong his post GI options are. if you didn't know, when you GI fast moves you get the most frame advantage. This playstyle makes the opponent pretty predictable in their retaliation. Sticking to pokes to try to get out of the frame advantage situations, or GI back because of my annoying momentum. Having a lovely time mixing up GI with 4a+b charge, 66b+k, 6a+b, 2a+b, 4/6k, CE for high damage ringout and damage rewards.

I was winning with just that stuff against high level players (well except against Ivy, Nightmare). Only recently am I also adding stance GI's and looping when in frame advantage or after wakeup. Even more power. String GI options are so good in this game.

Keeping 1k,a, 1a,b 2a+b and alot of "unsafe" looping as a ace in my sleeve. Used very sparringly. Psychologically it's confusing for the opponent if i change my playstyle to unsafe looping in rarer short bursts.

Also, I think putting fast 66a+b execution from any position Maxi is in, and on hit/guard options into muscle memory is essential for Maxi in this game.

Last edited:
Back