Maxi General Discussion "The Dandy of the Seas

@IRM @SC_Yin @Saitoh @Hot Rod Dave and anyone else with a good understanding of Maxi in SC6.

Hey guys, so I'm working with a YouTube content creator called @Scallywag-93 to make beginner introductions guides for SC6 and one of the videos that's being worked on is a introduction profile of each character to hopefully get it out near or on release date.

Looking just to get abit of info from you guys aswell to ensure the Maxi part of the video is accurate.
Please could you answer these questions: (doesn't have to be in detail)

1. His stand out strengths?
2. His stand out weakness?
3. Any important stand out moves and why these are important?
4. Easy/Intermediate/Hard in terms of execution?
5. Easy/Intermediate/Hard in terms of gameplan and complexity?
6. Overall archtype / what kind of player the character will suit?

Thanks again.

@IRM @SC_Yin @Saitoh @Hot Rod Dave and anyone else with a good understanding of Maxi in SC6.

Hey guys, so I'm working with a YouTube content creator called @Scallywag-93 to make beginner introductions guides for SC6 and one of the videos that's being worked on is a introduction profile of each character to hopefully get it out near or on release date.

Looking just to get abit of info from you guys aswell to ensure the Maxi part of the video is accurate.

Thanks again.

I'm not on the list of people you said but i do know Maxi pretty well (SCIV 8way maxi mod, SCIV UK tourny player, SCV Hater etc) i think some of the older members might vouch for me (at least i hope so lol).

I did a basics of maxi post a little while back. It needs a bit of updating as more and more gets discovered, but you might find it useful.

https://8wayrun.com/threads/maxi-general-discussion-the-dandy-of-the-seas.20063/post-765238

Please read that post it give a good breakdown. After you have read that I'd say the answers go something like this.

1) Maxi is mainly a mind game character he has 6 stances that you can swap and control and will change every 0.2 seconds, and all of them have a whole plethora of moves. His strengths come from having options at most points to take your moves in to a different stance causing a different move than expected, this can be done from natural shifts, forced shifts (pure soul loops) or held buttons (which force different stance). This requires a good Maxi player to know all the options for a maxi as well as what the enemy has to counter. You must think ahead and have the enemy scared of the basic strings to be effective. He has some good damaging combos and a lot of guard crush options as well as a great ring out game. He can apply pressure very well once he is "in" on a character and his CE is a great whiff punish and can also be used to extend combos.

2) His stances are also his weakness, whilst in this game you do get some auto GI properties you do also have to understand that you cannot go direct to block from a lot of moves you have to cycle through one more stance before you can guard. This can leave an inexperienced player in poor situations with either the wrong stance or no available guard, as with his strengths this means the Maxi player must have knowledge of all of Maxi's moves and then the opponents moves. Another one of maxis Weaknesses is obviously range, he has some closing tools but getting in on a particularly rangy character can be a really painful experience, even for people that are used to him.

3) Probably the most notable of maxis moves is 6A+B it is his go to punish, its fast and tech crouches under highs from very early frames. other moves of note are:
33B series (33B~BL, 33bA~RC, both are good to close distance especially 33bA and have good combos).
22_88A, again a ranged CH fishing move that leads to his biggest combos.
Withering lights stance, pressing B+K in any stance will enter Withing lights, this stance has auto GI properties vs all vertical attacks and has a fast 2 hit low, a strong 2 hit vertical and a lethal hit horizontal after auto GI it is one of the safer way to end a move that has left you in stance when you don't really want to be.
4[A+B] slow guard crush that causes auto launch on block
I would say his pressure stance will probably be right outer (RO) as it has good tools for catching opponents and keeping them on their toes.
4AbAAB catches all step and is 80 ish damage combo.

4) Execution terms i would put Maxi in maybe the intermediate tier. Whilst you can button mash maxi and get wins if you face someone with knowledge you are going to get absolutely destroyed. On the whole i would say he isn't the most technically difficult character to play with regards to inputs (he only has a couple basic just frames (22KK:K B+K:B:B:B:A and they are not really required to play him effectively) where is execution skills are required are using his Pure Soul Loops which will require some use of timing especially if you are using for multiple shifts or some of his slides might be considered tricky but you cannot really compare him to someone like Setsuka where you had to have a lot of just frames down to be able to effectively play her.

5) game play complexity i would say he is one of, if not the, most complicated characters in the game, you must know all his moves, what stance they lead to and from as well as any variations that force different options. You need to know when to apply pressure and how to work your way in. Learning Maxi is probably one of the most daunting tasks for a player to fully learn, I have head Voldo players (another very complex character) say that they don't understand Maxi. He has his basic no stance self then has 6 other stances (Right Outer, Right Cross, Left Inner, Left Outer, Behind Lower, Withering Lights) each with its own moves, each of which can be changed with his pure soul loops. you need very fast reaction times and thought process times.

For example you a basic 6A this leads to RO, you have to see what has happened before and this time, was it CH if so 6A~ROAK is combo, did they block it, if they did block what did they do last time, did they block the ROAK follow up or did they duck it, if so is it better to ROB this time to catch it, did you catch them with a ROB last time and if you did should you use the stance change at ROA~BL to do BLKK a delayed low Kick, did they try and counter with a vertical, should you stop with B+K~WL and try to catch it. Every move has countless potential for variation and it all depends on the person you play, the way you want to play, they way the match is going, every little detail even down to where in the ring you are as Maxi has great ring out potential.

6) In my opinion He will suit the strategy based player, he is a pressure character but only when you have the knowledge behind him and you like to mind game the enemy, He is defiantly not for someone that just wants to pick a character and have an easy time. I don't want to put people off as playing Maxi is fun and rewarding but to really play Maxi takes a long long time to learn and a longer time to play effectively, I have over 4000 hours in SCIV Maxi and I'm sure there were still things that i did not know and with this version coming out its almost like starting over. Another thing worth noting is that whilst he is a "legacy" character his moves have been moved and altered so if you try and perform a Maxi staple (A+B) from older games you wont get A+B you expect, you will get his standing "universal" guard crush, his old A+B is now his 6B+K so whilst your legacy knowledge of Maxi might help a little you are going to have to re learn where the moves are you want to perform.

Thanks again.
1. Maxi is a fairly versatile character. He has a lot of moves that don't require stances that allow him to pressure an opponent. With his stances, his options increase sharply however. His auto GI's from stance and enhanced moves from extended strance looping will provide incentive to use them to maintain up close pressure.

2. His stances are a powerful tool, but they will require caution as Maxi can be punished if the player misreads the situation. Also Maxi being optimally in the opponent's face makes an opponent popping soul charge in his face more detrimental to his game than some other characters. Also the stances will make Maxi more prone to having to deal with RE and GI.

3. Standing B is great as it allows Maxi to enter loop fairly safely.
6A+B is still good as it's a mid tech crouch move that helps keep throws and high counterpoke attempts in check
fc3A+B is basically Maxi's SC2 A+B differences being it has better range and hits high. The advantage is Maxi finishes the move in behind lower so he has further immediate damage from the stance options.
4AAAAB a natural combo that does 70 damage. Great for checking step.
1B fast low that enters stance to RO.
2K Maxi's primary safe low.
33B strong mid option that launches extremely high allowing for follow up damage. Can be mixed effectively with 33bAA.
33bA Effective option from 8 way run as it catches step and it transitions to rich cross which gives Maxi access to guard break tools which is extremely important for Maxi as people will immediately attempt to GI or RE Maxi's stances.
11B lots of range for a mid. Enters right cross giving Maxi anto GI/RE options. Also good pressure tool for wake up situations.
2A Maxi's stock fast move to check people and help set up his offense.
22KK:K low sweep to a mid launcher just frame adding on a strong guard break kick that rings out a good distance.
3K fast mid kick. One of Maxi's fastest punish options can help check opponents pressuring Maxi with strings and let Maxi get back on the offense.
RO K jumping high kick from the right outer strance. Extremely plus on block to the point I haven't seen a character able to interrupt Maxi if he follows up with a 6A+B. RO K is a strong ring out tool, very useful in combo extensions as well.
4[A+B] Two hit mid that launches abnormally high. Blocking both hits will result in a launch. Handy pressure tool on the edge of the ring as it cannot be blocked which can set up a flash ring out. Can be comboed with Maxi's critical edge cancel followed up by Ro K.
66B+K this has been a Maxi staple, and it's always good. Hits grounded making it an easy default follow up on any stunned opponent and combo ender.
66A+B mid horizontal followed up with a mid vertical attack ending in the behind lower stance. Lots of range, and it is useful for Maxi when he needs to close the gap.
PSL1 and 2 Maxi's stance shifts. They auto Gi all horizontals. (Not lows however) Worth keeping in mind if you want to stay in close and maintain pressure.
B+K from stance Maxi's auto GI stance that stops verticals. (Not lows tho) Also leads to specific attack followups from the stance that Maxi otherwise doesn't have access to.

4. Maxi doesn't have a high execution ceiling per se. The primary challenge is learning the stances and how they interact.

5. Maxi will be hard in terms of gameplan and complexity. Once opponents become accustomed to Maxi, his up close loops will have to be kept tight and mindful as there are holes presented with their use. It'll be up to the Maxi player to cover those holes with guard cancels, and the auto GI options afforded to Maxi from stance. I think they will prove to be powerful tools, but they will require the Maxi player to condition their opponent and the Maxi player will have to be paying close attention to what they are doing at all times.

6. Finesse rushdown character. Maxi has tools to be played differently as well, but that seems to be how the character's built to be ideally played. For the people who like to be on the offense while also having to walk a razor's edge to maintain it.

Last edited:

Thanks again.

Pretty much what they said but I want to just add this.

Maxi has really solid options without stances so he can be played without starting stance offense when he doesn't need it and wants to play safer. This is also an easier way for new players to start out with him.
For this he has:
6A+B - fast tech crouching mid with a fat hitbox.
3K - very fast safe mid tracking kick, great "no read" move that covers a lot of options.
2A/2B - fast horizontal/vertical safe pokes that recover in crouch.
2K - one of his safest low options, full tracking "generic" 2K.
1B - riskier but higher damage and range low, resets the neutral with its pushback on hit.
88A - safe (?) mid step catcher with big damage on CH.
66B+K - just a big ground hitting mid with some tracking to his right and good ringout range, not very unsafe (AA punishable it seems).
66A - fast safe horizontal high with good range, Maxi's go to safe step catcher.

However I feel like his B is his best move in this game, fast mid with good range that puts him in RO, one of his best stances, simplest way to start his offense.

Also since no one mentioned it, while 4AAAB is all NC you need to be close for the whole string to work since the following hits are shorter range.

Thanks again.
As much as I appreciate you thinking of me, these guys seemed to have answered it pretty well. I didnt get a ton of time in with the beta (maybe 6 hours total all weekend) so Icant say im in a position to answer these intelligently. Ive been learning from all them.

When the game comes out I still doubt Ill be at their level. But Im gonna try.

Appreciate you doing this though. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

@SC_Yin your vid with Saitoh is frickin godlike to me. Such epic matches. That very vid will be a staple for learning sc6 maxi.

Helpful infographic from the Maxi 6A+B Discussion discord https://discord.gg/ztjzJvx

PSL.png

I had previously broken the stances down in my own personal notation and its nice to see here. i didnt have the natural shifts. are these the only 2 natural shifts or are there further shifts?

why do you have to be such a Debbie Downer. the game isnt out just yet, maxi is fun and you are rewarded for looping as well as having some great damage tools. you just have to find something to be miserable about or your not happy......
I don't think he was being a downer. it's not like he was saying Maxi sucks or something like that. If you don't like how a character feels then there is no point to play them aside from learning what they can do, and some people just like to play multiple characters

Possibly but this is dustbuster and after reading many posts it tends to lean more towards the "THIS MAXI IS BORING I WILL PLAY OTHER CHARS AS HE IS BORING" I tend to agree with him about wanting more PSL and an option to canyon carve but i dont take the stance of "He's dumb I'm not playing him"

Possibly but this is dustbuster and after reading many posts it tends to lean more towards the "THIS MAXI IS BORING I WILL PLAY OTHER CHARS AS HE IS BORING" I tend to agree with him about wanting more PSL and an option to canyon carve but i dont take the stance of "He's dumb I'm not playing him"
I only seen them say stuff on this thread and if they said anything stupid here it was long enough ago for me to forget about it. It seemed like you was over reacting but I guess it's beyond what I see here so I'll stay out of it

Dustbuster had been bashing on maxi since sc4, yet he proclaims himself a maxi guru. When in actuality he is far from it. Posts are jumbled up garbage that barely make any sense and in NO WAY shares the same views as us real maxi-heads. Thats why Ive had him ignored for several years.

So yea Nalcon. Should probably stay out if it.

Last edited:
hey @twiggywales can confirm since CEO Build in July that those are his only PSL5 loops. However his forced stance changes are where its really at. RCA[A] LO, BL LO/WLB LO, and funnily enough Reversal Edge [A] RO(instead of BL) Shit is insane cant wait to bust out more and maybe even find more.

Remember if you do [B in this forum if marks bold like this

So what you ment to say was...... hey @twiggywales can confirm since CEO Build in July that those are his only PSL5 loops. However his forced stance changes are where its really at. RCA[A] LO, BL {B} LO/WLB LO, and funnily enough Reversal Edge [A] RO(instead of BL) Shit is insane cant wait to bust out more and maybe even find more.

Which is really nice to have. Additional forced switches are great for even more mix ups. And as soon as I can get my grubby hands on this game I'll be testing a lot. Are they listed in the move list like that (I think you said you have seen the move list). If not then I'll test all but if its listed that's a bit nicer..

Listen Guys & Gals.. This Maxi is GREAT he has Safe Frames FINALLY. Example [New 6B+K/Old A+B] is Safe on Block.. It took them 6 Tries. lolol
This is an Upgraded SC4:Maxi with SC5 Power-Polish. Without the SC4:Maxi Options "PsL3 & Stance Canyon Carve"

The only thing New about this SC6:Maxi is the Sexy new Li Stance Animation.

The only things that I Believe Stops this maxi from being perfect in my eyes is Options: "PsL3 & Stance Canyon Carve".
New Li K,K doesn't even have variations? ?Why?
Dandy surprise is hidden behind a SCB Wall? ?Why? everyone else thinks this is a horrible move.

Unless they are going to SUPRISE US with a Bigger movelist/More Options; than in the Online Beta test...Welp. "The Gi Window is still too BIG"
For any Maxi vet Since SC1 you'll pick him up every quickly and realize:
- your over spamming Wing Sobat without the guard Kick/ fake out option that's in SC2. "no SC5 RO B CH properties"
- LO B isn't holdable and will get Pro lvl Gi'ed for days
- 236 B has no Push back, stun/crumble-stun or CH knockdown ?why?
- Lotus 3A doesn't Lethal Hit? Why lololmao??
but Namco can last minute Patch SUPRISE US.

Want to look stylish with Maxi. Learn how to keep yourself in Break Attack, and how to Fish/Catch with "S-T Gis and Wavering Lights"
I only need a month with him without options/creativity.

Raph, Talim, Taki, Tira, Zasa, maybe Hilda & Groh last. SO MANY FUN characters.
Raph, Talim can S-T & have S-Ts out of Reverse Edge.. And Maxi can't Stance jump out of Reverse Edge ??WHY??
?Why can't I do All SC2:Maxi PsL jumps out of RE?

This Maxi is GREAT but I need more Options/Creativity. :sc2maxi1:"It's Not Enough":sc2maxi2:

Oh My Maxi has Stance change ups on Button Holds.lololol
"Ever Forward" no it's "Forever Forward" infinite loop

Last edited:
Back