Hate Speech: A Formal Introduction

For those of you who don't know me, my name is BrianHatesYou, or just plain Hates, and I think it's time we all had a little chat....

This is the inaugural installment of what will be a regular column in which I'll be discussing issues pertinent to the community. What's fair game?

Match video analysis, developing the right mindset for competitive play, a breakdown of new mechanics for Soul Calibur 5 as they're released and how those might be used strategically, and almost anything else Calibur-related. The goal here is to spark debate and push everyone to think deeply about why and how we play fighting games--there might even be homework. That said, I suspect there will be plenty in here of interest to the more casual player. Let's face it, we're all staring down the barrel of Zwei's outfit and his totally bitchin' crescent moon tattoo/birthmark--character design arguments, anyone?

HnVR0.jpg
Seriously, look at this thing. Look. At. It.

Know Thy Enemy

Before launching into any of that, however, it's worth taking a little time to introduce myself more thoroughly. I've been competing in Soul Calibur since the arcade release of SC2, and in that time I've built a reputation as a highly skilled player and notorious misanthrope charmer, which means I can speak from firsthand experience. Moreover, in my "day job" as a PhD student, I'm actually doing research that deals explicitly with games and the development of expertise, and I've even taught a class on games at Stanford. Hopefully this will establish that, despite my recent inactivity in the scene, I am still in possession of a brain worth picking.

In a sense, that is a substantial part of what inspired me to begin writing a column. Not long ago, Omega from the Dominican Republic (a legendary player and one of my all-time favorite opponents) contacted me and asked what I thought of the GI changes Daishi had then recently tweeted. He was pissed. I was annoyed, too, at first glance, but what evolved from that initial shock was a conversation in which the two of us allowed the cruelest, most malevolent parts of ourselves to devise ways in which these new mechanics could potentially be turned into real competitive advantages. Our reservations remained intact, but they were tempered by the hint of possibility. Before he signed off of our chat, Omega closed by urging me to talk about these sorts of things with more people, so I promptly went out and found myself a soapbox.

As you may have gathered, I only play characters with giant junk.

A Thought Experiment

Now that we have dispensed with the obligatory first post fluff, we can get down to something more interesting.

"Introductions and real content in one post," you say. "Hates, you spoil us!"

Yes, yes I do. In deference to considerations of space, however, this will be somewhat brief. In fact, brevity is crucial here because what follows is an attempt to sum up an entire philosophy of high level play in one thought: The Hates Fundamental Rule of Fighting Games.

The Fundamental Rule states that if, at any time while you are playing a match, someone could hypothetically pause the game and ask you why you just made a particular decision, you must be able to offer a clear and reasonable explanation for your choices.

UrIli.png

In principle, what this means is that there should be a definite logic to one's decision-making at all times. In practice, it's damn hard, but it will also force you to become a more thoughtful player. Consider how often you execute a particular attack just hoping to randomly connect. Consider how often an opponent lands a throw attempt and you mash A or B in a blind guess. Now consider the alternatives. What if you choose an offensive option based on how it affects your ring position? What if, when it's time to break a throw, you realize that your opponent has a specific, predictable pattern of which he may not even be aware? These little marginal changes collectively yield serious competitive advantages.

Most elite-level players are incredibly good at recognizing such patterns and otherwise exploiting their deep knowledge in order to pull out win after win. Of course, when you ask them (and I have), they'll often say that whatever they were doing "feels" right. This instinctive play can be incredibly powerful, but unfortunately it also lends credence to the notion that winning against the best requires some innate mystical gift. It's time to cut the Miss Cleo psychic garbage. Some players do possess a natural talent for recognizing patterns and reading the types of scenarios that arise within fighting games, but we can learn to do the same thing. The Fundamental Rule exists to facilitate this; developing the habit of overtly thinking through one's split-second decisions may seem awkward at first, but over time it gets internalized, and smart play is very hard to beat.

zaHtZ.jpg

Homework:
What are your Fundamental Rules of fighting games? Let's see if we can make a list. Or, alternatively, tell me why that's all a load of crap and "feeling it out" is the only way to play--I'll get a kick out of the, ahem, civil debate.

dunno, what could I possibly mean by that?
maybe do some soul searching and figure it out yourself
i dunno either. if you mean going around the conversation i guess you can say that.(really i didnt no what it meant i wasnt trying to sound like a jackass).

LOL Zwei is gonna be game girl's & gay guy's favorite character. My rules are:
1. Check if the other gamer likes to rush or turtle.
2. Check if they shake out of stuns (most pro. players do.)
3. Check if they fall for tech-traps.
4. When in danger, FRAME! I frame whether I am in danger or not.
5. Mix it up (easy to do with characters lie Amy, Sophitia & Xianghua.)
6. I play fair until my opponent starts playing unfair.
(I only special grab, I don't ring out *on purpose, I barely low for the win)
Those are my laws for good players/ game.

When you start to apply this idea, this fundamental rule, know that it's GONNA be hard. A lot of players are guilty of just getting into a flow and doing whatever comes naturally, like Hates said this is where patterns become really obvious.

Having to stop and force yourself to think about each situation is gonna make you hesitant, at first. You're gonna freeze up, you're gonna think of the "right" move for the job after the fact, and yeah you're probably gonna lose some games. It's gonna be frustrating, but thinking about the choices you make in the course of a game is the only way you're going to improve past just knowing some combos and attack patterns.

Once you get the hang of thinking this way, this becomes the key to adapting on the fly in a given match. If there is REAL thought behind what you're doing, you'll be able to make observations about the opponent much more quickly. You'll hear sometimes how an experienced player "downloaded" a new player who was holding his own in the first game of a set, but got crushed straight rounds afterwards. That's because these experienced players are able to make the kinds of plays and reads that Hates is talkin about.

I think the ideal state that Hates describes can be likened somewhat to musicians who are exceptionally good at improvisation. They are constantly adapting on the fly to chord and rhythm changes in songs, and oftentimes those changes are unannounced or not very obvious. Reaching that level requires one to be aware of all the possibilities available to them, and getting to THAT point means studying a lot, practicing a whole HELL of a lot, making a shit-ton of mistakes and generally just finding what works, often by finding out the hard way what doesn't work.

Consequently, even though music appreciation is a highly subjective realm, the best improvisers (to my ears, anyway) are the ones that know how and when to "break the rules," so to speak.

I mean seriously, skip to 4:40. It's just not fucking fair.

Lol, the Cleo picture killed it for me!

Thumbs up to Hates for this thread and promoting thought into this game. I wish I got a chance to play you when you where at quakecon last year. Didn't know it was you until everything was over (nor did I recognize your face to even ask for a match).

Anyways I can't say too much on thoughts seeing as i'm tired as fuck so I'll just say one quick thing from my personal experiences.

The more people you can play, the better you can become. Certain patterns seem to carry between a majority of people so once you figure that out then you can get sort of an edge.

Oh wait I gotta finish this later, g2g....

I'm a Talim player and I focus on ring outs but when I play I do the following.

Step A: I predict an opening strike and usually I windsalt away, depending on the character I am fighting I either go straight into an unblockable, wind charmer K, or windsalt forward A.

Step B: Take a second to determine if my opponent is a tactical player or a button masher. Button mashers should be guard impacted and beat up and or rung out as soon as possible.

Against someone more tactical I start by making them underestimate me, I play a more nooby mashing game in round one while I learn their style, in rounds 2 and 3 and more so I slowly unveil more of what I know, hoping to use a key move here or there to get an edge but then to never repeat it untill another match.

I tend to beat people using this strategy the first time I beat them but once they learn my playstyle I tend to lose more if I repeatedly fight the same person, just my experience.

I love Hates already. As for Fundamental Rule...

Troll answer: Play the gayest character possible in the game (Yun-Seong, Benimaru, etc.).

Real answer: Have real goals during a match.

Casual-play goals may include: try a new fighting style, focus on GI, focus on CH, or try ridiculous things to be funny.

Tournament-play goals may include: put opponent into a rhythm, focus on spacing for a Ring Out, turtle effectively, use more feints...

Simply "kill the other guy" isn't good enough for me. Goals keep my mind sharp and focused.

I smell hate in the building. Lol.
Let me go ahead and stick up for ZWEI.
1st thing is, gamer boys love gamer chicks. The big hips, big thighs, enjoy this ride, the big tigobitties. We all know this. what kind if straight gamer guys doesn't want to play SCIV/COD with his bitch? Mhmm. So to discuss my debate. Yall know that girls are going to love ZWEI, Homosexuals too. Yall know that all them bitches you wanna bed are going to want to love him, hes like, the SC version of justin beiber, you guys hated on him for the longest time too.
Now as for the rest of post, I completely agree, I play offline as much as i can and I have agreat time with it, but people do bitch, a lot. Enough with the hate on the hot guys, im serious baby.
gay people lke zwei?
I think he looks stupid personally but I'm probably an outlier

I'm a soldier. I fight in a war(no literally), and I have to prepare myself for the worst.
1.- Prepare my weapons. Hard commands and complicate combos have to be learned and practice so my body remember all better than my brain.

2.- Know the opponent. Try to fight as much as possible against all characters, even rock tier level. Check setups, combos, frame data, specific character player habits (like 6BBB of Amy's users) and recreate possible scenarios and options.

3.- Build Stamina. A good athlete have to give the 120% all the time; in big tournaments you have to keep going and going with short rest sessions. Be ready for it. Endurance is the key.

4.- Concentration and Reaction. Its common to hate turtle's gameplay, but in some random moments you have to rely in all your patience to wait for the right time to attack. Rushing to attack all the time make's you predictable.

5.- Watch and learn. You don't know everything. Even from novice players you can have a good lesson. Try to watch as many videos as you can. Maybe you can find really easy answers to old and new problems.

PD: If everything I wrote before doesn't work then you need a special training called "OMEGA's Training"; maybe you will know why Dominican's players name it like that.

Winning or losing are meaningless if I don't learn from it. I can have & I'd have good times while winning as well as when losing.
Best 3 out of 5 round match, I don't have to rush a match to winning 3 round in a row, I rather take the match to last up to the final 5th round. I enjoy learning my rivals.
I'd stopped "instinct-playing" at SC2 as in inputting without much thought.

When I play:
I use character's common VS knowledge, "what can I do vs what", "what can I punish with what", etc. I have VS-styles for each character.
I'm constantly diagnosing the battle's risk/reward by:
1. Time: helps me to lure-in & open-up rivals into self-set-up to Counter Hit them often.
2. Range: helps me to anticipate or to setup my rival's next bet to counter it often.
3. Movement: same as range
4. Location: helps me to stealthily RO. I use my rival's offense against them to place them where I want while they think they are winning by damage but are placing themselves at high RO risk without notice, "rolling, rolling, rolling".
5. Speed: when to act vs "what"
6. Damage: damage is an eventuality, so I don't worry much about damage as it will just keep happening basically over time.

An example of above in a match:
Sig vs Zas: Battle 1, Fight! Zas starts long range high, I do 6B to TC. Zas is far, I'm side running 1] or 7], Zas does his long ranged slow sweep, I do 4B to TJ since I was already on 8WR I don't have to i44B, I just do 4B after holding 1 or 7.

Inputting grab breaks is easy, I just hold G & tap A or B as fast as I can. Purely guess or if my rival's character have specific grabs that I gotta watch for at certain situations like for RO setups, etc.

Anyway, playing good is not hard. Just learn & apply, keep cool at all times, don't be in a "I want to do" mind state but rather be in a "I have to do" mind state. React & punish. Lead the rounds. Don't show all your cards on the 1st row.

I got bored writing this..

Well it depends on how the ring out was done. I dont mind if i was rung-out (Unless its Hilde) if i was there for quite some time trying to move. I just blame myself for my bad defensive actions, Not much to it. Im glad i have that stepping attack with Amy (4A) I use Cassandra,and Taki as well, but i havent broken them down like i did with Amy. YET.

I'm a soldier. I fight in a war(no literally), and I have to prepare myself for the worst.
1.- Prepare my weapons. Hard commands and complicate combos have to be learned and practice so my body remember all better than my brain.

2.- Know the opponent. Try to fight as much as possible against all characters, even rock tier level. Check setups, combos, frame data, specific character player habits (like 6BBB of Amy's users) and recreate possible scenarios and options.

3.- Build Stamina. A good athlete have to give the 120% all the time; in big tournaments you have to keep going and going with short rest sessions. Be ready for it. Endurance is the key.

4.- Concentration and Reaction. Its common to hate turtle's gameplay, but in some random moments you have to rely in all your patience to wait for the right time to attack. Rushing to attack all the time make's you predictable.

5.- Watch and learn. You don't know everything. Even from novice players you can have a good lesson. Try to watch as many videos as you can. Maybe you can find really easy answers to old and new problems.

PD: If everything I wrote before doesn't work then you need a special training called "OMEGA's Training"; maybe you will know why Dominican's players name it like that.
I agree with all. Palabras con luz bro!

HERE IS MY THOUGHT.

There are no Absolute Rules for Me, and if 1 RULE should be set is that that.

So my Sort of Guides are the following:

1-USE IMAGINATION- Imagine different ways to overcome a situation
imagine what moves could be used and combined to emerge victorious in a certain moment of the battle. IMAGINATION is the most powerful TOOL along with faith.

2-Never get caught on numbers, Statisticals, or whatever information tries to limit your own expression or your potential, YOU CAN always define and Redefine your own Successful Style.

3-Try to predict what of Your moves You opponent Wont be able to avoid neither block at a certain moment during the battle.

4-Always KEEP Changing your ¨MODES¨during the battle.
if a certain moment requires defensive Mode, Just focus on keeping it safe, if another requires quick fast aggressive Mode, just go on destruction, if another needs You to make your opponent fails, go for it, and so on.

5-Never give up, even if u have 1% life bar, there is always a way to come back! (or at least make you1 opponent waste his ammunitions ).

So those were sort of my guides that came into my mind for approaching to a combat.

I am used to using my mind not directly, but naturally for a while now. Why? I am a musician. Learning to play instruments taught me to do this. How? I'll explain this the best I can.

When you first start playing an instrument, anyone who hasn't played said instrument before will consciously think about what note to play next. With time, this thinking turns to natural thinking. You are able to play a song without really thinking about it. It just happens. This is the ideal mindset for doing anything with full focus.

I implemented this thinking into Soul Calibur. Sure, I still had to perfect combos, hard-to-execute moves and learn to defend properly. However, using these traits to your advantage requires experience. Experience is the only way to use your mind naturally. This is also an ideal mindset for adapting to different people's gameplay. I just watch and act accordingly. That said, having character knowledge is very helpful for achieving the mindset. Knowing the opposing character will put less stress on adapting to mix-ups. Although it may be impossible to know all mix-ups, knowing the mix-ups that benefit them the most, and learning to counter them will help alot.

There's my two cents. ^^

Live streams

6 Viewers
Morsheeva
Morsheeva
[FR-EN] Pourquoi j'ai pas croisé ce jeu avant ?!
5 Viewers
FuzzyCatGirl
FuzzyCatGirl
Transcending history and the world: a tale of swords and souls, eternally retold. Awesome character creations!!

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back