Hate Speech: We Are the World

I initially had something else altogether planned for this week, but some recent discursive trends in our happy little corner of the Internet make me think I should intercede with everybody for a moment and make a few things crystal clear. I’ve said in the past, both implicitly and explicitly, that this is a very exciting time to be a fan of Soul Calibur.

We’re just weeks away from the release of what looks like it will be an amazing game, we have a solid infrastructure in place as a community that will help people meet up, compete, and improve, and plenty of folks seem legitimately interested in SC5—even people who’ve never picked up any prior SC game seriously.

Given all of those good things and the potential they represent, those of us who have been around for a long time have an obligation to maximize the benefits of all that hype to the best of our ability. Or at least we shouldn’t torpedo everything. Sounds difficult? Never fear, I’m here to share some simple rules which will help immensely.

Rule #1: This Is Not The Maury Povich Show . . .

. . . or Ricki Lake, Jerry Springer, Montel Williams, or even Tyra. A little over a decade ago, as a freshman in college, the only TV option I had was whatever network crap I could get through the half-busted antennae of my thirteen-inch entertainment powerhouse.

L8iXP.gif
Though those times are gone, the golden moments remain fixed in my mind.

Unwilling to admit defeat and, you know, actually go outside, I found myself watching a hell of a lot of daytime talk shows. A common enough topic for episodes of these shows is “You Dissed Me Then, But Now I’m a 10!” or something equally insipid. The premise: people who were once fat, awkward, or thought showering was a prissy activity reserved for the folks living on the rich side of the trailer park confront their former crushes and show off a little spandex, a lot of skin, and often plastic surgery best described as ambitious.

"So what does this have to do with us?" Well, Soul Calibur used to be a little awkward, and maybe a bit shy, too. I’m fairly certain SC3 wore braces, and we’ve all heard about that time SC4 accidentally called its homeroom teacher “Mom.” Now, however, Soul Calibur is looking kind of hot, and it seems to be generating real interest, which means we’re at a crossroads. We can either drag our old crush in front of Maury and dance around talking about how goooooood we look, how sorry everyone should be for having ignored us, and how sorry they’re going to be when we turn it around, or we can choose instead to be gracious and welcoming.

Rule #2: Be Barry Sanders

In a sense, this is an extension of the principle outlined above. Barry Sanders, one of the greatest NFL running backs of all time, wasn’t much for touchdown celebrations. He’d never score, spike the ball, then go completely nuts with taunting and chest-pounding. Sure, it’s a show of good sportsmanship, but it really seems like Barry never went over-the-top because scoring a touchdown wasn’t a very big deal to him. He scored a lot, it was easy, and he damn well knew he’d be back in the endzone very, very soon.

Ylu0D.jpg
It occurs to me only now that this would've been a more effective reference for my audience.

I’m a colossal proponent of being a sore winner when it comes to fighting games; I love the taunting, the screaming, and the boundless disrespect of it all, but there’s a time and a place—tournaments, casuals, etc. Being too defensive, too excitable, or generally too much of a jackass outside of actual games is an incredibly unpleasant thing. Many of us in this community are hopeful, and not unreasonably so, that SC5 will be a pretty big game, and there’s no denying that some of the gossip surrounding where that might take us is exciting. As a community, though, we must take it in stride and not use positive buzz as a means to bludgeon other dedicated fighting gamers in response to perceived insults. It’s ridiculously counterproductive. Our game is looking excellent and there’s talk of it going in some very high profile directions, and that’s great. Now flip the ball to the ref and get your asses off the field because it’s not even halftime yet.

Rule #3: We’re All in This Together

It may be an odd thing to see people reference the “Fighting Game Community” as though it’s one monolithic entity, but that is essentially true. Yes, we tend to define ourselves primarily in terms of the games we play, e.g. Marvel players, Tekken players, Calibur players, and so on, and there will always be friction and rivalries between these various constituencies, but look for a moment at the bigger picture. As I’ve said elsewhere, we’re all basically in the business of providing content now. Whether it’s actual tournaments, tournament streams, videos, or even silly columns, these are all experiences that, at their best, are interesting and extremely fun. When we do these things well, we have amazing tournaments, plenty of entertainment, growing pot sizes, and a growing profile. When we do them poorly, people lose interest and ultimately walk away.

The overall success or failure of any competitive game is measured by its number of players. New blood always makes us better players, increases the drama, and provides more storylines, and these same principles of growth apply to the entire fighting game genre. We will never all agree on everything (not even which games are good. . .especially not which games are good), but it’s critical that we recognize the core similarities between a Calibur player and a Street Fighter player, a Tekken player, or even a Melty Blood player are far more important than the differences. The current fighting game renaissance in which we find ourselves, in fact, is directly attributable to the overwhelming success of Street Fighter 4 and its 500 or so revisions**. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say. Like it or not, we are the FGC, and it’s imperative we recognize that truth.

h1f2e.jpg
**NO HATES NO! WHAT DOES SF4 HAVE TO DO WITH MY PRECIOUS SOUL CALIBUR!

Looking Forward

Unpleasant as it may be to say, the Soul Calibur community sometimes behaves as though it has a bit of an inferiority complex. Now that it looks like we’re riding high, it’s perhaps tempting to tweak the nonbelievers out there, but I beg of you, don’t. Namco looks to be holding up their end of the bargain by investing a great deal of time and effort into giving us the best game possible—a deep, engaging experience that is fun for players and spectators alike. It’s time for us to do our part by actively reaching out to others, growing our community, and capitalizing on all of the hype surrounding SC5 rather than acting like petulant little children.

Leave the past in the past, and if you’re concerned about how other fighting gamers feel about us, make an effort to bring them into the fold. After all, no one’s as zealous as a convert, and recruitment is the best revenge. All of the opportunities we may have, all of the grandiose dreams, and the like can only happen if we grow as a community, and we grow as a community by bringing people in, not by shutting them out.

Homework
Go get somebody hype about SC5. Seriously. I don’t care if they’re dedicated to other games or if they’ve never even heard of tournaments before. Just find someone you know and share your own excitement, talk about the game, whatever it takes. We win by growing and having fun, not by being insular little pricks.

Great article! I agree with everything you said. It goes along quite well with two rules I have when running my own tournaments or events:

1: Don't be a dick
2: No Turbo allowed

This is an excellent idea. I've always tried doing so with many games (unfortunately a large amount of my friends are COD "kids"). Although I have a 2000 word project to do over the holidays, I will try my hardest just because of the sheer love and respect I have for the Soul series :D

I've been trying to convince people to play any kind of Soul Calibur since I started playing this game. Even more, when SC4 was out and even much more this year! I've got 3 people on my PSN list who have bought SCIV, because of me and I've convinced one of my classmates to buy SC5 (and I'm pretty sure his friends will be so jealous of this magnificent game that they'll buy it too). But talking about the game, or inviting friends (stronghead ones) at home to show the previous games like SC4, or showing videos isn't always enough...
Once I get the T-shirt with the SCV logo, I'll be a walking advertisement at school!

First day I'll get the game and challenge my animation lecturer to a straight VS. I'll be using Mitsu and he'll be using Xiba.

He is a pretty good user of Kilik back in SC IV so it ought to be an interesting match. On teh other hand, I've been reading up a lot on SC V Mitsu. GGs to us both.

And of course...SPREAD THE HYPE.

I noticed that if you were a solid player on the SCV demo it attracted other people. An example would be signia winning many matches and it caused more people to challenge him and drew the attention to the SCV demo because of the crowd getting larger.

I also asked alot of people if they were affiliated with 8wayrun. Most said they heard of the site but werent a member of it. So the community is being noticed alot!

I was yellimg out things like "thats cool!" People who heard me started glancing at SCV some even tried a round of it!

I also think that people into the SSF series would try out SCV because of the BEs and CEs

I can't even remember how many people that I've talked to at NEC about Soulcalibur V, including some notable 2D players, along with the shameless advertising that I have been doing around the web for the game and this site to spread the word.

I can't wait for this game to come out. We in there!

I'm jealous of you guys. My country doesn't even have a SC community! We have only one for Tekken and probably for SF, i didn't even checked. When I talked to these fellas about SC, they usually gives the same reaction, "SC is not even a fighting game..."

Than I took my psp with SC:BD inside and let them play it. Then they started to change their minds. Then I showed them SCV trailers. Some of them impressed, some of them not, but I'm doing what I can here man!

I guess I'm not the only one thinking of this when look at the article's name right?

Good read as always, if this could count for anything, I did use the nickname "SoulCalibur" in some public games like Dota and tell all of my gamer friends to buy the SCV and start practice with me when it comes out, some of them just as hype as me now ! :)

Great article and great points. I'm really excited about SC5 , so I've been actively trying to get everyone to join me on the hype train. All my game related conversations with friends, relatives and are focused on SC5.

I truly hope the game is a success and that the community grows and thrives, as a result of more people embracing it. I've made some great friends playing the Soul series and I hope to make some more.

End of poorly structured incoherent rambling.

I respect this article a lot Hates. Probably the best piece you could have possibly written at this point in time. :)

Already did my homework! A couple people I've talked to have said this will be the longest month and a half(at that time) of their lives!

Live streams

1 Viewers
thunderstormoffloods
thunderstormoffloods
Hola, hi. Ouh yheaaaaa!!!, jeje XD... normalmente hablo español aunque le entiendo al inglés así que todos son bienvenidos :D P.d. Se feliz.

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back