Hate Speech: When Worlds Collide (Revisited)

There’s nothing in this world more loathsome and repugnant than a flip-flopper. As we are reminded in every national election cycle, true leaders never change their minds, and they’re never, ever wrong. And I, of course, am a true leader, so please keep that in mind this week as we take another look at the function and implications of online play.

While I do indeed stand by everything I’ve previously said on the subject, the shockingly decent netplay afforded us by SC5 definitely warrants a new round of consideration regarding what benefits it ultimately provides us, the limits of its usefulness, and how far it can take us in our development as players.

Legitimately Playable Netcode (and Other Signs of the Apocalypse)

As we all know, when space aliens came down from on high and taught the ancient Mayans about science, mathematics, pyramid building, and online fighting games, it was with the understanding that they would closely guard these secrets until the end of days. With the end times now upon us, however—it’s 2012, after all—we finally have access to online play in a 3D game that isn’t patently terrible. In fact, it’s quite good . . . deceptively so, at times. That being the case, let’s dive back into what online play is and is not.

In the interest of fairness, a rebuttal to the above point.
First and foremost, online play is still not actual SCV, despite the fact that it approximates the actual (read: offline) gameplay experience far more faithfully than its predecessor ever could. The distinctions are, of course, subtle, but they’re nonetheless important. A multitude of online “lag tactics” still exist. Certain lows become much more difficult to block on reaction, some setups which require precision timing to defeat become entirely more solid than in fact they are in offline play, and numerous other small yet significant discrepancies come into play.

Despite all that, however, SCV’s enhanced netcode does allow for a nontrivial degree of reaction-based play, and tactics that are effective offline will generally work online as well. This becomes truer for semi-local matches. While I’ve had cross-country connections that would characterize as pretty damn good, I’ve had matches with people in my part of Norcal that are positively phenomenal. Whether almost-as-good-as-offline or just unexpectedly good, given the circumstances, almost any match that isn’t absolutely crippled by lag spikes and disconnects can serve as a useful training tool because the fundamental psychological elements of SCV play now remain largely intact when translated into the online realm. This becomes even truer when players enter into a gentlemen’s agreement of sorts, endeavoring to play in a manner that stays as true as possible to the sort of offline play seen in tournaments.

Fisticuffs.jpg
Neither Pyrrha nor Pyrrha Omega (above) will be spamming out 1A in this match!
Even when that isn’t the case—against someone hell-bent on laming you out with moves and setups of dubious offline legitimacy, let’s say—simply playing online in all sorts of matches definitely increases the number of characters and strategies to which you are exposed. This can be hugely beneficial to players whose regions lack representatives for popular characters. For example, it’s prohibitively unlikely that anyone will be winning a major tournament without going through at least a few Pyrrhas, Pyrrha Omegas, and Natsus, but what if nobody in your local scene plays those characters? SCV’s improved netcode allows us to seek out those characters online and actually begin getting a rudimentary sense of what their moves look like, what their general playstyle might be, and how to counter those things. While imperfect, it’s a hell of a lot better than going in totally blind, and we would be fools not to make use of that.

The Pitfalls

So we’ve established that online SCV is comparatively amazing. What’s more, the gruesomely terrible online play we had in SCIV was still enough to give rise to mutant freaks like Woahhzz. Taken together, then, shouldn’t this new online play just be taken as perfectly legitimate?

tumblr_ljehglndnh1qhzzwf.gif
Of course not.

SCV online is incredibly useful for the reasons I’ve outlined above, and it’s enjoyable, too, to the point that I find myself playing quite a bit of it without ever getting so angry that I want to murder whoever thought it’d be a good idea to run games that require 1/60th of a second timing over a DSL connection that was already behind the curve in 1998. Despite that, there’s still a level of engagement and complexity that only instantaneous offline play can really provide. Just as importantly, though, there are certain elements already rising within the “online SCV culture” that we should guard against, lest they drastically interfere with our ability to become better players.

Of those elements, perhaps the most prominent comes from the game’s benignly cruel insistence on keeping track of all one’s wins and losses. While this is useful information to have, in a sense, it’s also somewhat dangerous in that it confers a significance to what should essentially be casual matches that frankly isn’t deserved. Hell, I catch myself getting entirely too worked up about these things from time to time, too. Just recently I played a ranked match against a player whose connection began fluctuating wildly from five bars to one, and back again. This shifting, pausing, stopping, and starting nearly destroyed my fragile little mind, and in the end I lost to silly stuff, dropping my overall win ratio to 93%. I was livid for almost three seconds, which was an eternity, given the circumstances, but that’s the sort of wildly irrational response that this level of stat-tracking elicits.

charts-and-graphs.jpg
Numbers never lie.
If any of us, myself most certainly included, make the mistake of lending too much credence to these sorts of numbers, we run the quite real risk of failing to push ourselves. If every win and loss is tracked forever, then every win and loss somehow matters, effectively erasing the concept of casual play. Unfortunately, casual play is absolutely essential to improvement. Without a no-stakes environment, it’s impossible to test out new characters, try new things, and so on, all of which is the key to getting the most out of online play. The only solution to this is to really embrace the notion that online play, while certainly good enough to help us improve, remains subordinate to offline play. Also, and more importantly, all online play is by definition casual play. This mindset is necessary in order to avoid both picking up online habits that will get you killed offline, and also as a general means to learn and improve.

Taking Your Beatings

As frustrating as it is to lose, particularly when the game remembers every mistake you make for the rest of eternity, losing remains the single most effective way to become a better player, and this is true both online and offline. In fact, the best potential upside of SCV’s online play is that it affords everyone the opportunity to go out and lose to new people and new characters in varied and intriguing ways.

During the first couple of months of both SCIII and SCIV, for example, I was beaten mercilessly, often by people who I was used to dispatching with relative ease. That’s simply the nature of the beast; a new game means an extended period of learning and adjustment. Luckily for us, however, we finally have a game wherein the online component is solid enough to allow us to take meaningful losses, reflect on them, and ultimately get mo’ better, mo’ faster. By keeping the relative value of online play in perspective and remaining steadfastly unafraid to get totally shined up on occasion, all of us can speed up the learning process and have a great deal of fun in the process.

Homework:

Tell me about your online experiences thus far. Are you finding it as potentially beneficial as I am, or is it already devolving into a cesspool of lag tactics and other garbage? What are the pros and cons?
Also, find some faux pro online and send him to 8wr. I’ve managed to get a few people against whom I’ve fought to come check out the community here—online play is an excellent way to add new blood to our community.

Finally, grab me on psn and help me wring all traces of respectability out of my win/loss record: bh8ffs

@Original_Hater

Thanks dude...ah. well Otakon 2012 here I come!

Well, Con tournies are an ok place to start, but they're not really the same as a real competitive event. The turnout is usually fairly large from what I hear (won't catch me dead at an anime con lol) but the level of players is generally fairly low or diluted. I've known mid level tourney players that have gone and spent most of their time stylin on people with one hand, or playing with their eyes closed.

Not discouraging you from entering or going, especially if you're already going as an anime fan. And it's still a win or go home situation that you're entering, which can help in some ways. But with so many subpar players, it's not a REAL tournament, per se. Probably closer to irl online ranked match, lol.

So far ive had mostly decent experience with the online evi of sc5, i do however get occasionl desync and lagtacts. lol funiest thing was the guys who still tried that mitsu 1a & 2k bullshit tact. gotta love that nerf on hellsweep. anyway. im using raphael and standing on a solid 81-83% win ratio and only few times lost % due to stuff i would deem lagtacts /natsu bombers are horible againt raphys poor fast response games... dam 6bb just gets avoided can only rely on 6k which has way to big start up concidering online reaction needed

I still get salty if I lose against low high mix ups that I know I could have blocked without the lag in certain matches. It still feels way too great to block Natsu's 6A+B on reaction though. Also, RIP Asta lag sweep mixups. You will not be missed. Algol's 1A is still kind-of a bitch when he shoots a bubble first. You can step both to the left but I find myself getting hammed on by it too much.

It really helps since the people I play against offline main Yoshi, Leixia, Mitsurugi, Xiba and Viola. That is a very small percentage of the cast but when i factor in online, I have friends who main Hilde, DJ, Asteroth, Rapheal, Cervantes (even though he currently sucks at the game) and Ezio. Add that to the characters I actually play myself and I end up with a great deal of knowledge about most of the cast.

I also don't have to get msg talking about how I'm abusing lag lows when people just hold the guard button for dear life and I decide to do one or two lows just to open you up. I always thought I was breaking grabs consistently in SCIV and I probably was.

This online experience is amazing.

Last night was online-day two for me. Overall, its been a pretty damn good experience. I must say it was a lot easier to blast SC online back when the netcode was ass. I'm still taking it with a grain of salt though, so i dont think win/loss records are going to effect me so much (legendary souls is more frustrating than ranked). I never really shed the scrub level of play before dropping SC4, maybe i'll actually be decent this time around.

Most of the people having connectivity issues should check to see if their PS3's are getting a NAT 3 connection (limited connectivity), when they should have a NAT 2 (router) or NAT 1 (direct to modem).

My router got reset some time in the last few weeks and it took me a minute to realize that was the issue and NAT type 3 was why I was showing zero bars on everything and disconnecting all the time. Once I set everything up the way it needed to be I got my NAT 2 back and can play fine.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3025578

That link has information on the necessary steps to achieve NAT 2.

Overall I am really liking this game, the more I play the more I realize how tightly it is playtested.

Astaroth, Mitsu, Sieg, and Nightmare are still OP, but only somewhat though.

Online play is a double edged sword. (yeah)

With so much cannon fodder out there I'm afraid I'm not learning anything useful. Worse yet, you can develop really bad habits while playing against punching bags.

Though if someone I face is far greater skilled than I am, I'm not learning anything other than how to take a 17 hit combo and get ripped 3 times in a row.

It's hard to find a middle ground. When you do find someone equally matched however, this is when the game really shines. It's then I can feel proud about my exhilarating win or loss.

Congratulations Brian, you made me not care about my rank W/L ratio anymore.

... my poor 95% win ratio... how I'll miss you. :(

Being able to see someone else's license, and what modes they put their time in, and which character they play with the highest percent, makes all the difference in the world.

There are still many players whose rank is E5 and who use the title beginner, just so they can go into a room and pwn everyone. But if you look at their license you find out they've played 150+ online, mayber 450+ off line (mostly wins) etc. And they only played 1 or 2 ranked matches. There's nothing wrong with just player matches, but if you never rank up, you can have a 1000+ matches online and still be E5 and appear to be beginner to other beginners. So its a good idea to look at player level as well. It will give you another indicator whether you're truly playing a noob (which is okay) or if you're playing a seasoned player that choses not to rank up.

I love the stats that SC keeps, that license concept is awesome.

Of course online lots of ppl are going to use titles like 'beginner' , 'Trainee',
, 'Go gently', 'I'm afraid', etc. to try to hide the fact that they are really intermediate to advanced players, again the STATS tell the story. If a player has hundreds or thousands of games played with a win percent of 70% or better Watch Out!

IMO the game is all about having fun. Its not fun necessarily to play someone that is far beyond your skill set who just brutalizes and punishes you and you have no idea why your losing so badly . For most ppl that frustrating. That is unless you are a glutton for punishment :)

Playing someone whose marginally better than you, can be fun and a learning experience. Playing someone roughly at your level can be fun and a learning experience. I recommend teaching ( as opposed to brutalizing) players at a lower
level than you because the better everyone is, the more fun the game is. The STATS
that are kept in your License and the other player's License helps to identify skills sets by how many games played, how often characters are used, game modes played , etc.

Being able to download other players replays is another way of identifying whose advanced, intermediate, noob, etc. Also if you 're trying to move up in skill set, then studying the replays of advanced players is a good way to go.

Obviously this my opinion, but the online experience is most fun when you are playing others that are roughly at your skill level. Use the other players license to
help determine that , and online will be that much more fun.

Lag happens, and when it does , just move on. The good thing is we can search for ranked matches by requesting 4+ bars. (For those of us who are hung up on ranked matches), and in player matches its all casual any way, so no harm, no foul.

So far i have enjoyed the online experience. Most of the friends i interact with on a regular basis refuse to play with me after some unpleasantness during SCIV so i only can play online for the challenge needed.

I do get the Ezio range spammers, the Sig and Nightmare (too damn fast to be using that sword one handed) players, and the always fun "you hit the ground when i let you" Viola player. But i'm trying to master Pyrrha omega so i can't complain.

Of course online lots of ppl are going to use titles like 'beginner' , 'Trainee',
, 'Go gently', 'I'm afraid', etc. to try to hide the fact that they are really intermediate to advanced players, again the STATS tell the story. If a player has hundreds or thousands of games played with a win percent of 70% or better Watch Out!.

i got sucker into a ranked mach where i play someone with the beginner title, i chose to try my hand as Viola and he cheesed me out with Mitsu... i was not amused. That was until i ran into him later while using Pyrrha, i guess side stepping was new to him cause i got my vengeance.

So far i have enjoyed the online experience. Most of the friends i interact with on a regular basis refuse to play with me after some unpleasantness during SCIV so i only can play online for the challenge needed.

I do get the Ezio range spammers, the Sig and Nightmare (too damn fast to be using that sword one handed) players, and the always fun "you hit the ground when i let you" Viola player. But i'm trying to master Pyrrha omega so i can't complain.

I hear you on that one., but keep in Spam is only spam in the eyes of the person on the receiving end! One man's spam is another man's useful sequence of moves. It feels like spam to you, but to him, he's found a sequence of moves that work! And he/she will keep using it until you find a tactic to stop "his spam" And there always a tactic to stop spam (you just have to figure it out). And its only spam if you don't have a tactic to stop it. Once you have a tactic to stop those moves, then he can't repetively use that sequence of moves.

Online is now legit. This game will breed even more Woahz & Something-Unique type of solid online players. Once again Hates has out dont himself and I applaud him for another well written piece. Though, I wish you would have elaborated just a little bit about how to properly set up your PS3 network. With that said, the first thing a new online player needs to do is some research on how to open up the proper ports on your router or enabling the DMZ setting to optimize the PS3 online play. Furthermore, think about investing in a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and/or upping your internet service. And for gods sake dont play on wireless. If your running a good setup this can arguably be the best netcode of any fighting game on the market, and I will definitely be playing this alot online. Once again , please do some research on how to optimize your setup before you criticize it because online is actually really fun!!! Especially with people in your tri-state area. I really hope TT2 has the same type of netcode.

P.S- Offline is the best. There is no argument. But...... Woahz and Wolfkrone started and still play alot of online :)

My online experience has been great with SCV. After playing a few local matches I now notice what minimal lag is there, but isn't nothing compared to the other games out (AE2012, UMvC3). I think the last time I played a fighting game with a netcode this good was back when HDR came out. I only played a bit off SCIV online and I remember it lagging quite a bit. I have noticed that people are now rage quitting more often as well. But nothing to get salty over. I'm still learning the game.

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back