• 6.2. Positional Throws
      • 6.2.1. Right side throw
      • 6.2.2. Left side throw
      • 6.2.3. Back throw
  • 7. Working the Guard Gauge
  • 8. Guard Impacts
    • 8.1. GI Followups

Preface

To paraphrase a quote I once heard, a novice plays the game; an expert plays his character; a master plays the opponent. To truly fight the opponent directly in a battle of wits, you must have the game and the character function as an extension of your will.

When I was first learning the ropes for Soul Calibur V, I couldn’t find a character that appealed to me. I found that the new “intended playstyle” of my former main clashed with my own developing style. In an effort to gain perspective, I branched out to Aeon. What I found by doing this is that Aeon was “dumbed down” from SCIV’s Lizardman and I didn’t enjoy playing him.

I couldn’t have been more misguided.

To spare you guys the learning I went through, let me tell you this: What you get out of a character is proportionate to what you put into learning him. Put the time into playing the character you enjoy and you will be rewarded more than if you pick a “top tier” character who doesn’t feel right for you.

This guide is to help the aspiring Aeon players to achieve that. I will touch upon certain mind games and tactics that you should learn to utilize as well as the concrete concepts. Remember that what constitutes a mixup is subjective; one mind game might work 50% on one opponent, then your next opponent never guesses wrong on it. Adaptation is key.

To all my reptilian brethren out there, this one’s for you.

Guide to Using This Guide

This guide was written with the assumption that the reader is familiar with the mechanics of Soul Calibur V. For new players looking to get acquainted with the game, I would recommend checking out the stickied threads in the Soul Calibur Tactics subforum. In general, this guide can be used to learn more about the character by studying him on a move-by-move basis. Much of the information contained is readily available on Wiki and is included for convenience.

When certain moves are used as combo enders such as 6B BE, 44BAA, and 66K, it is recommended that you see the entry on that move as well as there may be more that you can do after that move. For example, 4B’s entry will list CH 4B → 66K as a combo. If you look up 66K, you can find wall combos and tech traps that can be performed after 66K, as well as after CH 4B → 66K.

When working with a document of this size, the functionality of <8WayRun.com>’s text editor tends to curl up and hide inside its shell. I did the best to make this guide flow as naturally as possible, but formatting issues were a bit of a problem. When in doubt, CTRL+F is your friend.

Character Overview: Strengths and Weaknesses

Strengths

Ringouts

In Soul Calibur V, Aeon Calcos is the undisputed king of the ring. Boasting an impressive arsenal of forward and reverse ring-out options, he poses a big threat at any ring-out range. In addition to this, he is capable of positioning his opponents wherever he wants them to be due to his monster step-kill ability.

Step Kill

Due to excellent horizontals such as 66A, 6A, 22AB, 3A, 3K, and 2A, stepping is risky against and easily deterred by Aeon.

Range

Aeon boasts impressive range, allowing him to tango with the likes of Nightmare and Astaroth in the mid-range game. His 3B hits from a solid 2 character lengths away, and 66A hits from a massive 3 character lengths. Some of his pokes, such as 3A and 3K, hit from just under 2 character lengths away. This range makes it virtually impossible to back dash out of 2A range against Aeon if the Aeon player anticipates the back dash, allowing him to work his throw/mid mixup.

Damage

Although not the most damaging character, Aeon is very high on the list and can deal some severe damage. He is capable of achieving nearly 100 damage meterless off 33B, and counter hits from moves like 1B, 4B, WR K, or 22AB give 60~70 damage. In addition, his meterless wall-combos range between 110 to 140+ damage. With meter he is capable of breaking the 200 damage milestone at walls, a feat few characters can achieve.

Throws

Although Aeon may not be Astaroth or α Patroklos, he has a very strong throw game. This will be gone over more in the Throws section of his move list.

Weaknesses

Safety

Safety is a big issue for Aeon. Virtually none of his moves is safe enough on guard to be used as effective frame traps. On top of that, he struggles against characters who have strong, decent-range i14 punishers, such as Pyrrha’s 236B or α Patroklos’s 44B+K BE.

Speed

With his fastest move being a generic i12 FC A, followed by a generic i13 AA, Aeon is on the slower end of the spectrum. His only i15 mids that can be performed from neutral (4K and 6BB) have very short range. Due to his slow speed, it is imperative that Aeon keep a moderate distance between him and an attacking opponent. Aeon functions best as a whiff punisher, so play to his strengths as well as your own as a player.

Whiffing Issues

These will be addressed on a move-by-move basis in the next portion of the guide.

Key Attacks

Notes for when reading this section of the guide

Unless otherwise stated, B and K moves are assumed to have no tracking and A attacks are assumed to have full tracking.

All followups given include max damage options, as well as some alternatives that can be used for ring outs or specific okizeme purposes. The combos listed are the ones that are generally preferred, but it’s almost always worth experimenting with alternatives.

Note: Brave Edges are kept in their own section, despite being an integral part of his game plan. Don’t take this as meaning his BEs aren’t key moves for him.

66A

Mid, 30 damage, i19, -12 on block, +3 on hit

Aeon’s #1 enforcement tool for his “no stepping allowed” policy. 66A has exceptional range and is virtually impossible to step. The threat of this move’s existence is often enough to condition an opponent to never try stepping within its massive range. Used properly, this move can force your opponent into a linear play-style, which amplifies the threat of moves like 3B and 1B BE. Because it is only +4 on hit, some players will try challenging you even after being hit by it. Fast pokes like 4B, 3K, and AA can be used to deter this kind of behavior. Generally you want to space 66A so that if it’s blocked you will be out of the opponent’s throw range, limiting his mixup options.

33_99A

Mid, 32 damage, i19, -10 on block, +5 on hit

Despite being identical to 66A at a glance, the sidestep version of this move is notably different in a few key aspects. The first and most important things that stand out are the differences in push back and frames. There’s a blanket 2-frame improvement on recovery with 33_99A compared to 66A, so instead of being -19 JG/-12 G/+3 H, it’s -17/-10/+5. This means in block situation it’s safe against most of the handful of moves that punish regular 66A, such as Raphael’s CE or 6BB, Ivy’s 4B, or α Patroklos’ JFT. Because of this, it can be used to bait a punish attempt and get free damage in return — Raphael’s CE and α Patroklos’s JFT are both launch punishable on block, and 6BB/4B are both highs and will lose to iWR B’s frame 1 tech crouch.

In addition, it’s significantly safer on JG, which is one of the main pitfalls of 66A. The difference between -19 and -17 is evident against multiple characters — the following are unable to punish with their standard options, such as:

• Aeon: no 3B or 1B BE
  • Algol: no 3B or 66B
  • Astaroth: no bull rush
  • Dampierre: no A+B
  • Mitsurugi: no 3B
  • Nightmare: no 3AA
  • Patroklos: no 3B
  • Siegfried: no 3(B)
  • Tira: no GS 3B
  • Viola: no 3B
  • Xiba: no 3B
  • Z.W.E.I.: no 3B or A+B

As you have probably know, many of these moves are unsafe, meaning 33_99A can be used to bait “punishes” on JG as well.

Another trait lending to 33_99A’s usefulness against JG-happy opponents is the necessary staggering of its timing that results from its input. This makes it significantly more difficult to JG in ambiguous situations and affords an advantage that prevents JG-happy opponents from stepping out of grab range for the entire match.

Finally, 33_99A offers larger push back and better hit frames than 66A, offering more leeway in either situation. Although you still cannot achieve frame traps after 33_99A, the push back can be significant enough to cause the opponent to waste frames getting in before attacking, allowing you to exploit whichever options feel best to you at the time, such as 2A, 4B+K, iWR B, or movement.

3B

Mid, 32 damage, i19, -14 on block, launch on hit

Aeon’s key whiff punisher. Slower than average for a 3B, so its utility as a block punisher is rather limited. Against characters that lack effective i14 punishers, it can be used to rack up guard gauge damage, as it bursts in 12 blocks. 3B tracks slightly to Aeon’s left.

Followups:

• 66B (55 damage, enters SW. Gimmicky, not recommended).
  • 66K (63 damage, clean hit, forward RO. If the opponent does not air control out of range, 2B, 44K, and 66B are force blocks after this combo. 66A+B catches front/back roll attempts.).
  • Critical Edge (99 damage, 50% meter consumed).

1B

Mid, 21 damage, -8 on block, +6 on hit, stun on counter hit

One of Aeon’s best counter hit fishing tools, 1B is very safe, has a lot of advantage on hit, and has the one of the fastest starting (albeit short-lived) tech crouches in his arsenal, TC F5~8. As such, it can be used to beat AAs, throws, and other common highs at minor disadvantage. 1B tracks slightly to Aeon’s right.

Followups (counter hit):

• 8B → 2K (52 damage).
  • 44BAA (55 damage, whiffs very often due to 1B pushing you too close, forward RO).
  • 44K (58 damage).
  • 3B (61 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/right).
  • 1A (75 damage with 66B followup, tech trap all).
  • 1B BE (89 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/left).

4B

High, 16 damage, i14, -8 on block, +2 on hit, stun on counter hit

At i14, 4B is one of Aeon’s fastest moves, although it hits i15 at tip range which can somewhat limit its punishing ability. Due to its stun on counter hit, it is best used for CH fishing.

Followups (counter hit):

• 3A (40 damage, leaves opponent standing with you at +6, good for mixups).
  • 44BAA (49 damage, forward RO).
  • 44K (52 damage).
  • 3B (54 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/right).
  • 66K (61 damage, clean hit, forward RO).
  • 1B BE (77 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/left).
  • 66K → 66B (80 damage, only works when 66K knocks down near wall or edge, clean hit).
  • 6B BE → BT B (81 damage, backward RO, 25% meter consumed).
  • CE (87 damage, consumes 50% meter).
  • 4b+kG (95 damage)
  • 66K → 66A (96 damage, tech trap all)
  • 66A (115 damage, tech trap all)

WR B

Mid, 22 damage, i21, -13 on block, launch on hit

WR B is very difficult to punish due to being only -13 and having push back. It breaks guard in 11, so it can be useful for pressuring the opponent’s guard meter. Despite its fairly long recovery, it is possible to land 33B after breaking guard with WR B.

Because WR B launches over Aeon’s head, it rings out behind him even over low walls. If the opponent attempts to ring you out with the standard running slide kick, a high attack, or a throw, WR B will punish it and ring the opponent out.

This move has Aeon’s fastest and longest Tech Crouch, starting at frame 1 and lasting throughout almost the entire animation. Because of this, it can be an extremely effective move when you predict a high attack.

Followups:

• BT B (37 damage).
  • BT B+K → 66K or 66A+B (66 damage).
  • BT B+K → 44BAA (74 damage).
  • BT B+K → 8B+K → 66A+B (87 damage, creates space, works on BT opponent only).
  • BT B+K → 8B+K → 44BAA (93 damage, works on BT opponent only).
  • BT B+K → CE (97 damage, consumes 50% meter).
  • BT B+K → 8B+K → 44K (99 damage, works on BT opponent only).

Note: For BT B+K followups to work properly, the WR B must hit when Aeon and the opponent are aligned properly. In this combo the BT B+K cannot be buffered and must be timed specifically depending on the range WR B hits at. In addition, at certain ranges the 44BAA followup must be delayed very slightly so as to “bounce” the opponent back off the ground while still being a combo, as air hit 44BAA can be air controlled (it is difficult to do so, however). These factors make the WR B combo difficult but very rewarding, and it is recommended that you practice it.

Mid, 16 damage, i16, -8 on block, +2 on hit

Primarily used as a poke. 3K has deceptively long range, is quite safe, and offers minor advantage on hit. It tracks fully to both sides.

4B+K

Mid, 36 damage, i25, -10 on block, +4 on hit

Despite its slow startup, 4B+K is often very difficult to interrupt due to its super tech crouch properties that start at Frame 6 and allow it to duck highs and even some mids. It tech jumps later in the animation and does quite a large chunk of damage for a safe mid. In addition, it causes a guard burst after 11 blocks. It can be used in a similar manner to Astaroth’s bull rush, but like bull rush it can be punished by Natsu, α Patroklos, and Cervantes when blocked. It has excellent range similar to 66A, but has no tracking.

22AB

Mid/Mid, 14/14 damage, i21, -22/-16 on block, -12/+2 on hit, stun on counter hit, NC

Similar to 66A, 22A is a mid, tech crouching horizontal that is very effective at killing step. While both hits are very unsafe on block, the second hit is highly delayable as well as hit confirmable, so there is a mixup involved in waiting to punish the second hit or attempting to punish the first and hoping there’s no followup. On counter hit, it stuns in a similar manner to CH 1B and offers the same followups. The first hit tracks very well to his right and slightly less to his left, but is still effective at killing step to both directions.

Followups (counter hit):

• 8B → 2K (54 damage).
  • 44BAA (56 damage, whiffs occasionally, forward RO).
  • 44K (59 damage).
  • 3B (67 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/right).
  • 1A (84 damage with 66B followup, tech trap all).
  • 1B BE (96 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/left).

Mid, 42 damage, i16, -16 on block, knockdown on hit

One of Aeon’s strongest meterless punisher for -16 and -17. The knockdown it causes offers poor wake up options, so at a large health disadvantage you may wish to punish -16 with 3A instead, sacrificing damage so you can continue your offense. 66K tech crouches fairly early and is considered a body attack, so it is very effective against certain stances and aGIs. 66K is unsafe but the risk/reward can be in your favor when the opponent’s back is to the wall, as it is used to start some of his strongest wall combos. On a counter hit, 66K knocks down much farther than NH 66K.

Followups:

• 66B (67 damage, only works when opponent is knocked down near a wall or edge without being wall splatted or rung out).
  • 66A (80 damage, tech trap all, after CH 66K only).
  • 66K (86 damage, tech trap all near walls/edges).

Followups (W!):

• iWR K → 66K W! → 1B → 44K (130 damage).
  • iWR K → 66K W! → 1B BE → 66K (160 damage, 25% meter consumed).
  • iWR K → 66K W! → 1B BE → CE (194 damage, 75% meter consumed).

General Moves

As

AA

High/High, 24 damage, i13, -6 on block, +6 on hit, NC

Aeon’s AA is a standard AA. At i13, it is one of his fastest moves. Like any generic AA, it is used to punish slightly unsafe moves (-13 and -14) that don’t recover crouching and to kill step. At the very tip of Aeon’s AA range, the first hit will connect but the second will whiff. It is important to learn this range so you can use single As or neutral K when appropriate so as to not whiff the second hit and lose all advantage on hit.

6A

High, 16 damage, i17, -4 on block, +6 on hit

This move has considerable range, is excellent on block, gives good advantage on hit, and is generally an effective poking tool at mid range. It can be used as an alternative way of killing step against characters that can punish 66A. Because it’s only -4 on block, it is useful in baiting high attacks and punishing them with TCs. It doesn’t break guard, but it will bring the opponent to the point of breaking after 19 blocks, making it a decent option for weakening the guard gauge.

3A

Mid, 22 damage, i16, -14 on block, +6 on hit

An excellent move to have in your arsenal. It is highly recommended to establish early on in a set if the opponent punishes it on block. If he does not know it is unsafe, use it to your advantage. Despite the animation it tracks fully to both sides. Keep in mind that unlike 3K, 3A hits i17 at tip range, which can lead to your punish attempt being punished.

1A

Low, 24 damage, i36, -15 on block, stun on hit

Because of how slow it is, it can be difficult to land 1A and is not effective as a mixup low. However, it functions excellently in tech traps. Because it breaks guard in 15, you can exploit your opponent’s natural reaction to block and punish this move and break his guard with it. Against certain characters with strong i16 or slower While Rising punishers (such as Siegfried and Nightmare) you can use this move to bait a “punish” which you can then block and punish for yourself.

Followups:

• 66B (48 damage).

2A/FC A

S-Low, 10 damage, i13/i12, -6 on block, +8 on hit

Standard 2A. Used to punish -13 and -14 moves that recover crouching (e.g. 2K) or as an interrupt or close-range step-killer. After 2A on hit, WR AB cannot be sidestepped. It is notable that Aeon’s 2A has above-average range and is quite useful.

4A

High, 22 damage, i18, -7 on block, stun on hit

This is a useful move. It has short range and hits high, but it is Aeon’s strongest meterless punish for -18 moves. It is very effective at ringing out opponents who attempt to step away from the ring edge.

Followups:

• 66A+B (40 damage, creates space between you and the opponent).
  • 44BAA (51 damage, forward RO).
  • 3B (57 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/right).
  • 1A (72 damage with 66B followup, tech trap all).
  • CE (92 damage, consumes 50% meter. For punishing -18, 1B BE is a better way to spend meter. If opponent techs left or backwards after getting hit by CE, it is possible to combo 66B → SW K due to a unique stun effect that occurs.)

WR AB

High/Mid, 16/26 damage, i15, -12/-16 on block, -2/+12 on hit, NC

An excellent move for punishing unsafe low attacks that recover standing. Due to the massive frame advantage on hit, you get a free throw/mid mixup, making it preferable to 66K for punishing lows unless 66K would ring the opponent out.

8A

High, 24±2 damage, i24, -6 on block, +8 on hit

Standard tech jumping horizontal. 8K is usually more effective, but 8A turns the opponent around on hit, allowing for a side-throw/mid mixup. 8A whiffs against certain characters while they are standing. These characters include Xiba and a few others.

Bs

BBB

Mid, 16/16/21 damage, i20, -12 on block, knockdown on hit, NC

Due to BBB being slower, less damaging, and of similar range to 3B, it’s much less useful. The only time it’s preferable over 3B is against certain characters who punish -14 really heavily but -12 much less. On block, the second hit can be easily just guarded, allowing launch punishes. In addition, if the second hit is JGed, the third hit is interruptable by launchers as well, so there is no mixup involving completing the string or stopping it early. However, it is one of Aeon’s most damaging ground-hitting moves and is useful for punishing both side-rolls and wake-up attack attempts after certain knockdowns.

6BB

Mid/High, 14/14 damage, i15, -10/-8 on block, +2/+4 on hit, NC

While 6BB seems decent on paper, it has very short range that prevents it from being used like a standard BB. It does not jail on block, so the second hit can be ducked and punished fairly heavily. Despite being NC on standing opponents, the first hit does not force a standing state on crouching or TCed opponents, resulting in the second hit whiffing under those circumstances.

3B — See Key Attacks

2B/FC B

Mid, 16 damage, i16/i15, -8 on block, +2 on hit

Despite being a generic move shared by many characters, 2B is especially important for Aeon. It’s his fastest safe ground-hitting mid, and is one of his only methods of stopping rolls.

1B — See Key Attacks

4B — See Key Attacks

WR B — See Key Attacks

Jump B / 8B

Mid, 30±2 damage, i33, -8 on block, knockdown on hit

One of Aeon’s better TJing moves, 8B can be used to avoid and punish slow but safe lows as well as throws and even some mids due to its super tech jump. It does not break guard, but will bring the opponent to the point of breaking in 19 blocks.

Followups:

• 3K (46 damage, tech trap all directions, doesn’t hit grounded. Less damage and advantage on hit than 3A, but is much safer if the opponent Ukemi Just Guards it.)
  • 3A (53 damage, tech trap all directions, doesn’t hit grounded).
  • 44K (70 damage, can be teched any direction).
  • 22B (Force block if opponent stays grounded or ukemis front/back/left; whiffs on right tech, extremely punishable in this situation).
  • Run-up throw (tech trap all, can still be broken).

Ks

K

High, 14 damage, i13, -8 on guard, +2 on hit

A standard K. Because AA and 2A are better punishers for -13, K is best used for its cancel (kG). The cancel causes Aeon to make a noise and looks similar to the startup of a throw, and can be used for mind games. However, when the opponent is out of range for a normal AA punish due to the 2nd A whiffing, K is a better option here. It also has slightly better range than A or 2A.

Mid, 24 damage, i18, -11 on block, +3 on hit

Aeon’s 6K is a useful move for multiple reasons. On block, it has a high amount of push back, which often negates the disadvantage Aeon is put at on block due to the opponent having to run back in. As a result, you can use this as a setup for moves like 4B, 6A, 1B, 66K, or 2A.

6[K]

Mid, 60 damage, i45, +15 on block, knockdown on hit, -20 on Just Guard

This is an interesting tool in Aeon’s arsenal. Due to its incredibly slow startup, it’s difficult to land this move mid-field without it being stepped or JGed. However, it is an extremely powerful post-GI option (see Section 7). It can also be used when the opponent’s back is to the wall. If he fails to step or JG it, it will either wall splat him for a massive wall combo or it will allow an unblockable setup if he guards it. 6K can be released before full charge to mess with your opponent’s JG attempts, but be aware that the lockout period where you are unable to release the attack is also early, occurring about halfway through the move’s startup. 6(K) also has a very high chance of clean hit, and does 75 damage on clean hit.

Followups (near wall/edge knockdown with no wall splat or ring out):

• 66B (83 damage, 98 with clean hit).
  • 44BA W! → 44K (130 damage, dead trap + tech trap front/back).

Followups (W!):

• 66K W! → 66K → 66B (131 damage, sets up SW).
  • 66K W! → 3B → 66K (134 damage).
  • 66K W! → iWR K → 6B BE (157 damage, consumes 25% meter).
  • 66K W! → 3B → CE (168 damage, consumes 50% meter).
  • 66K W! → 1B BE → CE (184 damage, consumes 75% meter).

Unblockable setups (blocked near wall or ring edge):

• 2A (10 damage).
  • 4B (16 damage).
  • AA (24 damage).
  • 6BB (28 damage).
  • 6B BE (65 damage).

3K — See Key Moves

2K/FC K

Low, 12 damage, i15/i14, -14 on block, -2 on hit

A standard 2K. Due to Aeon’s lack of strong lows, 2K is very useful. 2K into back dash can be an effective way of baiting whiffs, although it is risky because i22 or faster moves that have enough range will punish this back dash. 2K into 8B is an effective way of baiting and punishing retaliation 2Ks or 2As. 2K on hit into CE cannot be interrupted except by i13 or faster moves such as 2A, AA, or K. Combined with good movement, poking with 2K is an excellent way of conditioning the opponent to duck stupidly, resulting in opportunities to hit him with Aeon’s powerful mids. 2K is also Aeon’s second best way of hitting opponents who like to side roll, second only to 2B.

Low, 18 damage, i22, -18 on block, -2 on hit

While generally less useful than 2K, 1K functions similarly to Pyrrha Ω’s 1K. Because it forces crouch on the opponent, many people naturally react by doing FC A, which you can back dash to avoid and punish with 3B. 1K also has a slightly evasive startup that can avoid certain pokes.

Mid, 26 damage, i15, -8 on block, +6 on hit

This is an interesting move. Its frames are excellent and really stand out for a character like Aeon. At i15, it’s one of his fastest mids. It’s also safe, does excellent damage for a poke, and gives large advantage on hit. Unfortunately, it has atrocious range. From point blank range after 2K or 2A on hit, it will whiff. It’s best used as a “get off me” tool, but is unfortunately too short range to be useful in as many situations as 2B, 3K, or 3A.

WR K

Mid, 12 damage, i16, -13 on block, +5 on hit, stun on Counter Hit

The primary purpose of this move is counter hit fishing. It’s somewhat unsafe on block, but the worst you risk against most characters is an AA punish. While this move does have a tech crouch, it has a very short duration and is not as reliable as other TC moves such as 66K or WR B. It tracks slightly to both directions but is not a reliable anti-step move.

Followups (counter hit):

• 44BAA (45 damage, forward RO).
  • 3B (50 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/right).
  • 66K (57 damage, clean hit, forward RO).
  • 1B BE (73 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/left).
  • 66K → 66B (76 damage, only works when 66K knocks down near a wall or edge, clean hit).
  • 6B BE → BT B (77 damage, reverse RO, consumes 25% meter).
  • CE (83 damage, consumes 50% meter).
  • 6B BE → 4b+kG (90 damage, dead trap?).
  • 6B BE → 66A (108 damage, tech trap all).

High, 25±3 damage, i21, -6 on block, knockdown on hit

Aeon’s fastest hitting TJ move from neutral, 8K is also useful for catching step. Due to the fact that many low attacks tech crouch, 8K is less useful than 8B for punishing lows, and will go over the opponent if used between 2A → 2A. 8K is one of Aeon’s best ways of punishing throws on a read. It tracks both directions fully. When used as 7K, it does not knock down but turns the opponent to the side and leaves both players at neutral frames.

Followups:

• 66B (49 damage, works most consistently after 9K).
  • 44BAA (dead trap).
  • 66A (tech trap all).

Simultaneous Press

B+K

High, 50 damage, i30, +3 on block, knockdown on hit

Due to this move’s slow speed, linearity, and the fact that it’s high, it isn’t very useful except after certain guard bursts, where it is a good forward RO option.

1B+K

Low, 80 damage, i87, unblockable, launch on hit

Like most unblockables, 1B+K is too slow to be used effectively in the middle of a match. However, 1B+K does have a fast and effective super tech crouch that allows it to evade many moves. Because of this, it can be used on a read to extremely heavily punish certain types of attacks, as well as making you look ridiculously pro for doing so. Although 1B+K can be canceled, there is really no point in doing so as the cancel is so late in the animation you might as well let the full attack rip on the off chance it hits the opponent. Even if the opponent steps it, Aeon rolls out of range of most punishment, and he is only punishable by moves that hit grounded anyways.

8B+K

Mid, 28 damage, i29, -26 on block, stun on hit, ~SW

This is a very interesting move. It starts with a very fast tech crouch before tech jumping and is an effective means of countering lows, throws, and even some mids. From normal range when it is blocked, it forces crouch on the opponent and Aeon somersaults backwards, making is surprisingly difficult to punish for some characters despite the massive negative frames. On a normal hit, Aeon enters Sand Winger stance, allowing him to followup with SW K for excellent damage.

The most interesting property of this move, however, is its tip range properties. On a tip range hit, Aeon does not enter SW and instead the opponent is stunned directly in front of him, allowing different combo opportunities. Be warned that having 8B+K blocked at this tip range does not create space between Aeon and the opponent and can result in heavy punishment. However, 8B+K recovers extremely fast on whiff and is TCed during recovery. Because of this, you can whiff 8B+K deliberately to set up counter hits with WR K or other quick moves. This tip range is almost exactly the distance between Aeon and the opponent from the starting position of a round, allowing 8B+K to be a viable opening move at the start of a round if you read an immediate attack from the opponent.

8B+K can also be used to jump over crouching opponents, which can be useful when trapped in a corner. Keep in mind that characters with fast back-turned attacks such as Mitsurugi can punish you for doing this, and that attempting a reverse ring-out with 1B BE may be a better option. Although 8B+K does not track, it has a large hit-box that can hit opponents during the start of their step.

Followups (normal hit):

• SW K (62 damage, whiffs if the opponent is too close when 8B+K hits, and leaves Aeon punishable by wake-up launchers).

Followups (tip hit):

• Delayed WR B (44 damage OTG hit, 103 damage combo if opponent techs; tech trap all).
  • 44BAA (59 damage, forward RO, whiffs if Aeon is too close).
  • 3B (61 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/left).
  • 44K (63 damage, occasionally whiffs if 8B+K connects on an off-axis opponent).
  • 33_99K (65 damage + 33K followup if tech trap; catches front/back/right_left depending on direction stepped to perform the attack + hits grounded for 56 damage if no tech).
  • 1B BE (91 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/right).

4B+K — See Key Moves

4b+kG

Mid, 42 damage, i25, -32 on block (grounded), knockdown on hit

This move is unfortunately much less useful than its counterpart. Despite being called Quick Sand Revenger, it is no faster than regular 4B+K. It has all the same properties of 4B+K except it does slightly more damage, knocks the opponent down, hits grounded, and results in Aeon landing in a face-down head-towards position. Aeon is unable to block any ground-hitting attack for 32 frames after it is blocked, so characters like Nightmare can punish it very heavily with something like Grim Stride B. 4b+kG can be used to ring out an opponent whose back is to the edge, but if he sidesteps it, it can result in Aeon flinging himself out of the ring. This move is not very useful outside of combos and 4B+K should be used in its stead except in combos and specific situations (see Section 7).

BT B+K

Mid, 20 damage, i18, -8 on block, knockdown on hit

Due to its relatively slow speed and lack of damage compared to many other characters’ BT attacks, BT B+K may not seem very useful at first. However, it has a very fast TC (frame 5) which lasts through the entire animation, allowing BT B+K to be used to counter back-throw attempts and other high attacks.

Followups:

• BT 2A (32 damage, tech trap).
  • BT B+K (34 damage, dead trap).

8-Way-Run Attacks

66A — See Key Moves

22AB — See Key Moves

44A/44(A)

Mid, 16 damage, i20/i50, -18/-14 on block, -12/+4 on hit, ~SW

Although this move is quite unsafe, it is one of Aeon’s most damaging step-killers. It lacks the range of moves like 66A, 6A, and 22A, but up close it does incredible damage on a successful counter hit by chaining into SW K. At a full charge, the SW K followup is guaranteed on NH. Like other SW K hits on standing opponents, it leaves you at -7, so plan your wake up accordingly. This move has a fairly fast tech crouch starting at F7 and lasting most of the animation, so it can be used to kill highs on a prediction, although 1B BE is better for this purpose.

Followups (CH uncharged):

• SW K (65 damage, clean hit).

Followups (NH charged):

• SW K (78 damage, clean hit).

66B

Mid, 34 damage, i23, -21 on block, launch on hit, ~Sand Winger

Although 3B is generally better for whiff punishing purposes (slightly less damage, much safer, better wake-up options), 66B has its uses. It is Aeon’s strongest ground-hitting attack and it has more range than 3B. Because of this, it can be used to punish back step at +3, deal large damage to ground-roll attempts, and punish whiffs out of 3B’s range. It enters Sand Winger on both block and hit, making it extremely unsafe when blocked. Because SW K cannot be stepped to the left, you can use 66B to set up a situation where the opponent steps into SW K’s strong side when a wall blocks its weak side. However, this does lose to option select punishes that beat both 66B → SW K and 66B → G.

Followups:

• SW K (68 damage).

22B

Mid, 36 damage, i25, -12 on block, knockdown on hit

Because 3B is a much stronger whiff punisher from step (22B has slightly more range but is also slower, so dash into 3B is still a stronger whiff punisher usually), 22B is best used as a safe-ish way of pressuring the opponent’s guard gauge. It’s not too bad on block and it forces crouch, so back dash after it is blocked can be used to bait FC As and FC Ks for a whiff punish.

Followups:

• 2A (46 damage, tech trap front/left/right).
  • 2B (48 damage, dead trap).
  • 44K (catches rolls).
  • Run up throw (tech trap all, can still be broken).

11B

Low, i30, -14 on block, +4 on hit

This is an excellent evasive tool due to its super tech crouch properties as well as it being a step attack. It’s fairly slow and can be blocked on reaction, but it’s not too unsafe on block and unlike most lows gives advantage on hit. You can take advantage of this advantage by stepping/back dashing to bait a whiff or by fishing for counter hits with WR K or 4B. 11B and 11K can be used to condition the opponent to crouch when he sees you side step back diagonally, which can let you step to put your back to the ring edge and ring him out with 1B BE when he crouches.

33B

Mid, -14 on block, launch on hit

This is a very useful move, especially against characters that try to keep you pressured at the ring edge with high attacks like Nightmare and Siegfried. This move tech crouches quite well and is extremely rewarding on a proper read. It rings out behind Aeon over low and middle-height walls as well as offering various followups that ring out both backward and forward, but not over walls. On hit it starts some of Aeon’s most challenging but also most rewarding meterless combos.

Followups:

• BT B+K → 8B+K → Dash up 1A (61 damage if no tech, 113 damage with 66B followup if opponent techs, tech trap all).
  • G → 4b+kG (70 damage, reverse RO, very good range, but when done too close it can result in self-RO, clean hit).
  • G → 44K (76 damage, requires you to walk around the opponent to his head side after the launch).
  • G → 44BAA (77 damage, reverse RO and wallsplat).
  • G → 1A (86 damage with 66B followup, tech trap all).
  • BT B+K → 8B+K → SW K (97 damage, usually only works against a back-turned opponent).
  • BT B+K → 8B+K → 44BAA (99 damage, forward RO and wall-splat).
  • BT B+K → 8B+K → 44K (~103 damage, requires specific “bound” state from 8B+K which is very difficult to achieve intentionally and usually only occurs when it hits a side-turned or back-turned opponent. However, it is good to keep in mind this option as it is possible to see the way he is “bound” and choose between 44BAA and 44K.)
  • G → CE (105 damage, consumes 50% meter).
  • BT B+K (delayed to get fall damage) → CE (112 damage, consumes 50% meter, difficult).

Note: As with WR B, 33B has to hit on-axis with the opponent or the BT B+K will not be consistent. Because 33B has a built in sidestep, it can be difficult to achieve the full combo when you step an attack and whiff punish with 33B. With practice it is possible to tell when BT B+K will or will not work, and you can choose a different option such as 33B → G → 44BAA for less damage but greater consistency. In order to help ensure an on-axis hit after a guard crush or just as a mid-battle “hope he gets hit” option, 33B can be input as 663B or 669B to remove the sidestep. Be aware that although canceling a forward dash into 33B does eliminate the quickstep animation, it does not necessarily make the move faster. Mastering 33B combos is a very important part of getting the most out of Aeon, so practice!

44BAA

Mid/High/High, i31, -21/-9/+13 on block, knockdown on hit

This is Aeon’s #1 meter building move. Because of its slow speed and the fact that the 2nd and 3rd hits can be ducked and punished, 44BAA is not very useful outside of combos. However, it can be used instead of 44K in most combos to ring out, wall splat, build meter, or set up a tech trap.

When going for a wall splat, it is important to be aware of if you should do 44BA or 44BAA to get the wall splat. If you are too far away and do 44BA, you will get no wall splat. If you are too close and do 44BAA, the first A will wall splat and you won’t get any combo followup. Depending on the range, sometimes you are too close to wall splat and get a 66K followup. In this situation, 44K will work instead.

When using 44BAA in combos at other ranges, if you are too close the 2nd and 3rd hits will whiff. This commonly happens after CH 1B. In a situation where you expect 44BAA to whiff, 44K can be used as an alternative followup. Near an edge where you can RO, it is recommended you attempt the 44BAA even if it looks like it will whiff, because if it doesn’t you win the round. If it does whiff at the 2nd hit, be sure not to do the 3rd hit or you will be put at heavy disadvantage.

Followups (after 44B):

• 66B (41 damage, dead trap).
  • 66A (49 damage on front/back, 51 on left/right, tech trap all).
  • 3B (51 damage + followup, tech trap front/back/right).
  • 44BAA (56 damage, dead trap).
  • 66K (62 damage, tech trap front/back).
  • 22B (force block, unrollable).

After 44BAA

• BB (not guaranteed, catches all rolls except back roll).
  • 66B (not guaranteed, catches all rolls except back roll).

After 44BA/44BAA W!

• 66K W! → standard followups.

Mid, i19, -6 on block, +8 on hit

Due to the excellent frames of this move, it can be very useful at countering an opponent’s attempt at throwing you while you are sidestepping. It has early tech jump frames that can be used to beat throws and lows, but unfortunately, as a 22_88 8-way-run attack, it has an additional 10 frames of startup from the forced quickstep, meaning it can’t be used to evade between 2K → 2A or 2A → 2A.

Low, i25, -23 on block, knockdown on hit

This is a risky move. It’s enormously unsafe when blocked, but the start of the move blends with 33K, which can be an effective mixup even against good players. 11K is also Aeon’s only fully-tracking ground hitting attack besides 2K and 44K, which can make it a good way of killing ground roll attempts. It has a very low tech crouch, and because it comes out of a sidestep, it can be a fairly effective means of evading attacks, although I would recommend 11B for this purpose. 11K is an untechable knockdown, which gives Aeon a strong throw/mid mixup (or 6[K] “force block,” which risks being JGed) after it hits. If the opponent attempts to stay grounded to avoid the mixup, 44K will pick him up for excellent damage.

Followups:

• 2B (38 damage).
  • CE → 2K (52 damage).

Mid, i27, -10 on block, stun on hit

Despite its slow startup, 33K is a very strong move. It hits grounded and front/back roll attempts, but does not hit side rolls. On hit it causes a stun similar to CH 1B, and offers a wide variety of combos and tech traps afterwards. Because it is -10 on block, it offers a good setup into a Guard Impact, as any move between i11 and i22 will fall into the GI’s window after 33K is blocked. 33K into 44BAA has the longest forward RO distance of any of Aeon’s moves, almost rivaling the reverse RO distance of 1B BE into 4b+kG.

Followups:

• 66B (61 damage, enters SW, somewhat gimmicky).
  • 33K (63 damage).
  • 44BAA (67 damage, forward RO and wall splat, sometimes whiffs near walls/edges).
  • 3B (69 damage, tech trap front/back/left.
  • 44K (71 damage, sometimes on an off-axis hit you might have to input it as 114K or 774K to align yourself with the opponent’s head).
  • 66K (82 damage, tech trap front/left/right, tech traps all near walls/edges).
  • 1A (86 damage with 66B followup, tech trap all).
  • 1B BE (99 damage, tech trap front/back/right).
  • 22B (1P side, 88B on 2P side; tech trap all, except left on small characters, against which it is a force block).
  • W! → 66K W! → standard ender.

Mid, 20 damage (46 against downed opponent, head side), i21, -16 on block, knockdown on hit

Although 44K is generally used in combos, it has several uses outside of them. After a knockdown that leaves the opponent with his head towards you, 44K will track side roll attempts for great damage. It also has an evasive startup. At slight disadvantage such as after a blocked 6A, 44K will evade attacks like AA.

Followups:

• 2B (32 damage, dead trap).

66A+B

Mid, 40 damage, i24, -13 on block, knockdown on hit

The main purpose of 66A+B is for killing front or back roll attempts after a knockdown. However, it does incredible guard gauge damage (see Section 6) and is difficult to punish due to its push back. Because it is slow and linear, it can be hard to make the opponent block it; however, if you have successfully conditioned the opponent to expect 66A and stop stepping when he sees you running in, he will often end up blocking 66A+B. On hit it knocks the opponent back incredibly far and can be used to establish space between you and the opponent.

Followups (near wall/edge knockdown with no wall splat/ring out):

• 66B (64 damage, catches front/back/left and OTG. Slight delay allows it to launch back tech for a SW K followup.)
  • Delayed 66A (71 damage, tech trap all).

Followups (wall splat):

W! → 66B (64 damage).
W! → 44K (77 damage, requires specific angle to get attack throw. 57 with no attack throw).

RUN K

Low, i21, -22 on block, knockdown on hit

The standard, universal running slide kick. Aeon’s combo opportunities after landing his are worse than average, but it can be used as a way of tricking people to duck near a ring edge, allowing you to ring out with 66K. Because it is an untechable knockdown like 11K, you may wish to forgo guaranteed damage opportunities in favor of a much more damaging throw/mid mixup when the opponent stands up. If he doesn’t stand up immediately, hit him with 44K for good damage and a reset into another throw/mid opportunity.

Followups:

• 2B (38 damage).
  • CE (49 damage, only really useful if you absolutely need to finish off the opponent).

Meter Use

Meter usage is an integral aspect of Aeon’s game plan. Proper use of his 1B and 6B Brave Edges are essential for locking down the opponent and allowing you to work your throw/mid mixup.

Brave Edges

6bA+B+K / 6B BE

Mid, 65 damage, i15, -8 on block, launch on hit

This is Aeon’s strongest i15 punisher. Unfortunately it has the same poor range as 6BB, which prevents it from being used to punish moves that have push back. At tip range the first hit can knock down and all subsequent hits will whiff except the last one, resulting in low damage and no launch. However, because Just Guard eliminates conventional push-back, 6B BE excels at punishing moves on JG. Attacks that are in the range of -15 to -17 on JG (i.e., which are not 1B BE or 3B punishable) are best punished with 6B BE.

Due to the superior damage and wake-up opportunities of 6B BE, it should be used to punish instead of 66K whenever possible. Avoid using 6B BE when the opponent can block it however, as the last hit can be sidestepped to either direction and punished heavily.

Unlike 1B BE, 6B BE is capable of reverse ring-outs over low and mid walls, and should be used for this purpose.

6B BE also offers a tech trap/dead trap mixup for good damage. Be warned that the dead trap options are heavily unsafe if the opponent techs and that the tech trap option will leave you at disadvantage if the opponent does not tech. The tech trap also requires specific timing that can be difficult to achieve consistently without practice.

Followups:

• Run up 66B (78 damage, dead trap).
  • 4b+kG (81 damage, dead trap).
  • BT B+K → 66K (87 damage, only works when your back is to a wall).
  • G → 8B+K (94 damage + followups, tech trap all, only works when opponent lands near a wall or edge).
  • Run up 66A (96 damage, delay for tech trap).
  • BT B+K → CE (118 damage, hard as hell to land due to camera inconsistencies, only works when your back is to a wall, consumes 50% meter).

1bA+B+K / 1B BE

Mid, 60 damage, i18, +2 on block, launch on hit

Arguably Aeon’s best move, and one of the cornerstones of his offense. The only real downside to this move is that it costs meter and has somewhat short range. Whenever possible you should substitute your 3B punishes with 1B BE punishes for the superior damage and wake-up options. Like regular 1B, 1B BE tech crouches from frame 5 and tracks slightly to Aeon’s right side.

1B BE offers the longest reverse ring-out distance of any of his moves, making it extremely threatening when Aeon’s back is anywhere near a ledge. Because of this, if you establish that you are willing to use 1B BE to hit them out of an attack or twitch duck, smart opponents will freeze up completely to avoid the possibility of ring out. When this happens, you essentially get a free throw attempt on them, because if they are stupid enough to try ducking they will eat 1B BE. One of the most important things to learn with Aeon is how to properly mix up 1B BE in your mind games. Because this move is so good you might end up blowing your entire meter on it while your opponent simply holds guard.

Followups:

• 44A (70 damage, short range RO, but can RO over low and mid-height walls).
  • Dash up 66K (87 damage, similar wake-up opportunities to 3B → 66K, clean hit).
  • 44BAA (87 damage, reverse RO with good range).
  • 4b+kG (87 damage, reverse RO with excellent range. Be warned, if you attempt this too close to the edge you will RO yourself first and lose the round. LEARN YOUR 1B BE RING-OUT RANGES.)
  • 44K (89 damage, delay so Attack Throw connects).
  • Quick dash into 1A → 66B (110 damage, tech trap: all. Best used to deter people from teching 1B+K).
  • 1B+K (140 damage, can be escaped by teching, guaranteed if the opponent stays grounded. Can be teched on reaction unfortunately, but excellent for comebacks against people who are unfamiliar with the character).

Followups (on certain trades):

• 1B → 44K (89 damage).
  • CE (111 damage).
  • 1B BE → 44BAA (131 damage).
  • 1B BE → CE (158 damage).

Sand Winger A+B+K / Sand Winger BE

Mid, 15 damage, i41, Unblockable, stun on hit

Like most unblockable attacks, SW BE is not very useful unless set up properly. Because of the low damage and the stun effect of the attack, it is not worth the meter in combos such as after 66B. There are a variety of setups in which the opponent would get hit by the fireball if he does not tech, but could avoid it by teching to either side. SW BE is cancelable by pressing G during the startup of the attack. This cancel results in Aeon flying over the opponent and ending up in SW stance again. However, the cancel still consumes meter and you can be hit at any point during it, making it next to useless. On the off chance that one does avoid an attack with this move, one can punish with SW K.

Followups:

• SW K (52 damage).

Setups (techable but otherwise guaranteed if opponent stays grounded or immediately stands up):

• 1B BE → Delayed 66B → SW BE (80 + 51 damage with SW K followup to SW BE).
  • 33K → 66B → SW BE (61 + 52 damage).

236236A+B+K / Critical Edge

Mid, 72 damage, i14, -25 on block, knockdown on hit

Aeon has a somewhat non-standard Critical Edge. Unlike most CEs, which function as an attack throw that begins a canned animation after hitting the opponent, Aeon’s knocks him down and performs a series of unblockable attacks. As a result of this, the unblockable attacks can be Ukemi Just Guarded (leaving Aeon at -41) and will whiff annoyingly often near walls or edges, sometimes even resulting in Aeon ringing himself out. However, if the opponent fails the Ukemi JG against certain CE combos (such as 4A → CE), he is left stunned in a standing state, allowing further combo opportunities for massive damage.

Aeon’s CE is his most powerful i14 move, however, and can be used as a punish or just as a way of upping the damage he gets from his 3B. Because the unblockable attacks at the end of the CE do less than 20 damage each, the damage scales down by half as a result of the “guts” system when used against opponents who are at 10% or less health. He also benefits very little from the CE damage boost gained by being at low health.

Depending on how CE is comboed into, Aeon is left at varying amounts of disadvantage after it hits, making attacking after the CE lands a dangerous idea against characters who have fast, powerful counter hit attacks usable on wake up such as Natsu’s WR K. Voldo is capable of punishing it even on hit.

Followups (4A → CE when opponent techs left or back):

• 66A+B (125 damage, consistent).
  • 3B → 66K (141 damage, range dependent).
  • 66B → SW K (143 damage, range dependent).
  • CE (163 damage, consumes 50% meter).

Throws

Aeon’s lack of effective lows other than 2K means that his ability to mix up the opponent is limited to throw/mid and step/no step. Because throw/mid is his most immediately dangerous mixup due to his high damage throws and mids (although step/no step can be more dangerous over time if you properly focus on damaging the opponent’s guard meter; see Part 6), it should be applied as often as your opponent allows it.

Front-Facing Throws

A+G

55 damage, A break, reverse RO

In low levels of play, A+G can be used as an easy way of ringing out the opponent when your back is to the edge. Against strong players, A+G ring-out attempts will almost always be broken. As a result, you can get practically free B-throws against your opponent when your back is to the edge. If the opponent attempts to duck these B throws, hit him with a 1B BE or 6B BE to teach him the error of his ways.

Followups:

• 66A+B catches forward and backward roll attempts as well as wake-up attack attempts. Punishable by wake-up BT attacks if opponent stays grounded.
  • 66A catches any attempt to back dash or side step after ukemi. Punishable if the opponent simply stays grounded.
  • 2B catches right ground rolls.
  • 44K catches all rolls and gives AT against side rolls.
  • Run up throw gives a free back-throw against any wake-up attack attempt. Punishable if the opponent wakes up into a crouch or techs to make the grab whiff.

B+G

50 damage, B break, reverses positions

Although less damaging than 214B+G, B+G has its uses. When your back is to the edge, it can be used to put the opponent’s back to the edge so you can attempt a ring out with 4A, 66K, or another one of Aeon’s forward RO tools. Because the opponent will be breaking A to avoid the instant RO, this tactic is quite strong. In addition, it offers the best wake-up opportunities of any of Aeon’s front throws.

Followups:

• 66A+B cannot be stepped, back dashed, or otherwise avoided after teching any direction. Certain characters can tech and CE to punish this. Catches front and back rolls. Punishable by wake-up BT attacks if the opponent stays grounded to make it whiff.
  • 2B catches ground roll attempts of any type. Can be escaped by teching back or right, but is difficult to punish on whiff.
  • Run up throw gives a free back-throw against any wake-up attack attempt. Punishable if the opponent wakes up into a crouch or techs to make the grab whiff.

214B+G

65 damage, B break

Aeon’s most damaging front throw. Because it is a command throw, it has a smaller throw break window, making it more difficult to break on reaction to being thrown. It knocks the opponent down in front of you and creates decent distance, allowing you to use it to position the opponent towards a wall or ring edge or to just get him away from you.

Followups:

• 2B catches right and forward rolls. Whiffs on anything else. Launch punishable if the opponent simply holds G.
  • BB catches all roll attempts. May whiff against smaller characters when they side roll.

Positional Throws

Right side throw

60 damage, A/B break

Out of all of Aeon’s throws including side and back throws, his right side throw offers by far the best wake-up opportunities. It is an untechable knockdown that leaves you at big advantage, allowing you to work your mixup game. If the opponent doesn’t stand up immediately to let you do your mixups, you can:

Followups:

• 2B force block.
  • 66B force block, excellent damage if the opponent does anything other than stand up and guard, but risky if he does block it.
  • 44K catches all roll attempts and gives the attack throw on all rolls except backwards.

Left side throw

65 damage, A/B break

Despite dealing more damage than the right side throw, the wake-up opportunities after LST are much worse because the throw leaves Aeon in BT. Although it is an untechable knockdown, rolling backwards escapes the BT mixup and there is no way of punishing backward rolls after this throw.

Back throw

70 damage, forward RO, unbreakable except by Astaroth, Voldo, and Z.W.E.I.

Like Patroklos’s back throw, Aeon’s is capable of ringing out opponents in front of him. The distance for this RO is deceptively good, ringing out approximately two character lengths away from the edge. Because 3B → 66K actually does more damage than his back throw when performed against a BT opponent, you may not wish to whiff punish with back throw.

Followups:

• 2B catches side and front roll attempts, but can be avoided by simply holding G which will make it whiff. This is launch punishable by some characters on whiff.
  • 66A+B catches front and back rolls.
  • Run up throw/mid mixup after untechable knockdown.

Working the Guard Gauge

Because of the inherent riskiness of throw/mid mixups, being able to manipulate your opponent’s guard gauge is very helpful in forcing him to take more risks, which in turn makes it easier to bait whiffs and otherwise take advantage of his panic.

Code:
4.33   44BAA                         
5.16   6B BE                         
6      BBB, [plain]6[K][/plain]      
6.33   44BA                          
7      B+K                           
8      [plain]44[A],[/plain] SW K    
9      WR AB, 8B+K, 66B, 44B, 66A+B  
10     33B, 22B, 33K, CE             
11     WR B, 4B+K, 4b+kG             
12     3B, 1B BE                     
13     1B, 44K, 22K                  
14     6K                            
15     1A                            
16     4A, 4K

In general you should avoid using moves that are highly punishable when your intent is to have the opponent block them, so your best moves for damaging his guard would be 22B, 33K, 66A+B, 4B+K, WR B, 1B, 3B, 4A, 4K, and 6K. If possible, never break with the following moves: SW K, 6B BE, 44BAA, 8B+K, or 4b+kG, as your followups afterwards are limited. In some cases, such as 4b+kG, you don’t even get a guard burst followup.

The best possible followup after a guard burst (besides a ring out) is 663B → BT B+K → 8B+K → 44BAA for a nifty 99 damage. For a ring out, your best reverse ring-out option is 1B BE and your best forward ring-out option is 663K → 44BAA. However, due to the slow speed of 663B and 663K it is only possible to land after bursting someone’s guard with 4K, 4A, 4B+K, 22K, 6[K], 6K, or WR B. By far the easiest of these to land are 4K and 4A.

On ring-out stages, you want to save your guard burst for a situation when the opponent has a lot of health but a flashing guard gauge. Keep your positioning in mind — many opponents underestimate the RO range of 1B BE → 4b+kG, leading them to positioning themselves in a spot where they think they are safe but they actually aren’t. Use your throws to put them in a bad position so you can break their guard and ring them out.

Guard Impacts

While Aeon lacks an auto guard-impact of his own, normal GIs are quite good for him. GIing an attack when your opponent’s back is to the edge is a very strong tactic. It puts the opponent into a do-or-die mixup where he gets rung out of he guesses wrong.

GI Followups

3B → 66K is useful if the opponent has no meter to re-GI with or if they are expecting a delayed post-GI option.

66B → SW K is very useful because it is both guaranteed after a GI if the opponent does not re-GI and it is also slow enough to hit after the window of an immediate re-GI.

4b+kG and 66A+B are similar to 66B in that they beat both no re-GI and immediate re-GI. They also ring out forwards.

663B, 663K, and 6[K] are very strong options if the opponent immediately re-GIs, as the opponent will be unable to block them and will be forced to attempt a GI whiff into Just Guard.

CE, despite its relatively low damage, is still impossible to re-GI, making it essentially “guaranteed” unless the opponent whiffs a GI and Just Guards the CE.

Run up and throw is your #1 safest option after a GI. Because a GI puts you at +27, the opponent cannot duck a throw after a GI. Throws cannot be GIed or JGed, making this mixup guaranteed. However, he can still break the throw.

Last edited:
Thanks for your contribution. Now let's talk about Aeon's greatness in the Q&A, shall we? You can also give props to Slade himself on his profile page or something.

I’ve been editing this guide recently to get a final draft as a sort of send-off to SCV. I’ve also made it into a hyperlinked, searchable PDF, which is attached to this post.

Attachments

• herpetology_101.pdf
    97.2 KB · Views: 310
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrdaniyel
Back