Hi, Am I a cheap noob?

Senpai

[08] Mercenary
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and to SCV, and let me start off by saying this is one of the best forums I've been on in awhile, well organized and down to earth staff/moderators that actually care? Don't see that too often, and also this is the best fighting game I've played in awhile. I hadn't played a SC game since SCII on my Gamecube, and when III and IV came out I didn't have the systems necessary to play them, and by the time I got a Xbox 360 SCIV was pretty old so I feared there wouldn't be that many players on it. Then when SCV came out I was very interested in getting it but never got around to it.

Long story short, a friend of mine got me it for Christmas, since he too recently bought it and wanted a like minded buddy to play with, however he won't be online for a few months *Sad Face* so I don't play online much out of the fear of getting my ass handed to me. The first match I played I won, but I'm almost positive he let me win, he wasn't great but he definitely wasn't bad either. After I beat him I promptly lost the next match to another player, it was a full lobby btw, and once it was his turn again he beat everyone, but then it was my turn and I beat him, which once again I think he let me win. I then went to Global Colosseo, played five matches and lost them all lol.

Due to my my lack in skill I went on to play Quick Battle and such, and try to get better with Natsu, which is the only character I feel comfortable dedicating my time to. I've gotten considerably better with her I guess, but it kind of feels like when ever I have the opportunity to, I spam moves, her launchers to air grabs(or whatever they're called)to be exact. I know that CPU =/= Real human, but would it make me a cheap/dirty player If I apply a similar but maybe slightly less predictable spamming method when playing online?

On a side note I want to address something before it's even brought up; I'm a long time player/fan of MvC 2 and throughout my time of playing that game or constantly getting beaten to a pulp rather, I realized that unless cheating was involved, a wins a win and a loss is a loss, I should just except it and move on. Basically what I'm saying is, I don't care if I lost because my opponent was spamming moves or hit me out of the ring, I don't consider spamming or ring outs to be cheap wins, there is no one to blame but myself for not being able to over come it.

However, I think rather lowly of myself and most others due as well, and since I'm not exactly brimming with confidence it tends to cloud the way I see myself. In this case, I don't consider spamming to be cheap or really anything to be cheap for that matter, (in regards to fighting games anyway) other than actual cheating, but if I'm the one spamming or wining by means of ring outs and I'm told that I'm cheap or being cheap I tend to believe it and feel like crap.

TLDR Version=So basically I want someone else's opinion, does spamming and ring outs make me a cheap player? What is a "Scrub"? Am I a Scrub? And is it bad to be so one-dimensional and only learn one characters style?

Sorry for the Great wall of text btw.

Uhhhhh....I wanna say no you're not a noob or scrub, but the way you play (not your personality or anything personal) is heavily frowned upon by practically everyone (even me :P) and makes you a "noob" or "scrub" (Sorry :( ) But if it gets you wins, hey it gets you wins! But don't expect anything friendly or nice back from anyone. What I recommend you doing, is actually legitimately learning Natsu! You could learn a lot from this site and training mode! Take an hour or so and read these threads on her and practice :D But it's your choice on what you're gonna do in the end. :)

Uhhhhh....I wanna say no you're not a noob or scrub, but the way you play (not your personality or anything personal) is heavily frowned upon by practically everyone (even me :P) and makes you a "noob" or "scrub" (Sorry :( ) But if it gets you wins, hey it gets you wins! But don't expect anything friendly or nice back from anyone. What I recommend you doing, is actually legitimately learning Natsu! You could learn a lot from this site and training mode! Take an hour or so and read these threads on her and practice :D But it's your choice on what you're gonna do in the end. :)
But I'm not saying I'm great or anything :P

Hi, and welcome to 8wayrun. Don't worry so much whether the person online let you win or not. It could of been a lot of things, like him not knowing the matchup or a bad connection. Anyways, I'm by far no expert on all things Soulcalibur, but here's my opinion:

In fights, whether in a video game or real life, anything goes. Spam moves if it works. Ring out players when you have the chance. It's the opponent's fault for not knowing how to counter. It's not cheap, it's smart. A win is a win. For a more detailed and expert opinion on winning, check out DrakeAldan's article "On Winning" (http://8wayrun.com/threads/on-winning.15259/). Don't put too much weight on what other people say about you or your play style. Some people will complain no matter what way you win.

The definition of scurb varies from person to person. To me, it's usually someone who's salty for too long and ragequiters. For good descriptions of scrubs check out http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html and http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/on-cheapness.91151/. The later article also delves into what is "cheap." From the way you describe yourself, I don't think you're a scrub. You seem like someone who's pretty down-to-earth.

And don't feel bad for knowing how to play one style. The only style I really know for this game is Devil Jin. And even though Tira is my secondary, I haven't spent much time practicing with her since I've devoted nearly all my playing time learning Devil Jin. Just be careful about matchups.

Uhhhhh....I wanna say no you're not a noob or scrub, but the way you play (not your personality or anything personal) is heavily frowned upon by practically everyone (even me :P)
That's the thing, I don't really play like that, I'm not really a spammer and when I catch myself doing it, it annoys me. I don't care if my opponent spams and wins, but I don't really want to win like that because I know a lot of people on fighting games consider it to be cheap, and my goal isn't to piss people off when playing with them, I want to provide a fun challenge for them and myself.

That's the thing, I don't really play like that, I'm not really a spammer and when I catch myself doing it, it annoys me. I don't care if my opponent spams and wins, but I don't really want to win like that because I know a lot of people on fighting games consider it to be cheap, and my goal isn't to piss people off when playing with them, I want to provide a fun challenge for them and myself.
Ohhhh, my mistake sorry, misunderstood that, then it's all just a bad habit then, I used to have that problem when I used Nightmare, I just spammed agA and 3AA.

Just pla
Just play the way you wanna have fun :D

Everyone's pretty much said what I think. Play how you want and have fun with it. I get called cheap every other day. I shrug it off and keep on goin'.

Oh, and welcome to the site :3

You aren't supposed to be polite in a fighting game. If your opponent can't beat you that's their fault. Welcome to 8way!

Welcome to 8wayrun :)
First things first ive got to say good job friend! You have now already jumped a big hurdle in your SC journey which is find out about this website, signed up and spoke about your situation. It perhaps could of been intimidating for you to post your first thread to a audience due to maybe amount of people to see this, people to not understand you, to be told no one cares or simply no one to reply... But your right in what you said about moderators that they care and there is plenty of friendly/knowledgable players who can help you! aside from those possible bad outcomes from posting you did the absalutely the right thing :) From here your SC journey is going to see improvements!

Good Luck with your Natsu training and the training of your own basic fundamentals :)

Welcome to the site, you might wanna make this the last time you put yourself in the victim role online especially xbl people will troll you hard. SC5 doesnt really have spammable moves , people will say there are moves that you can spam, but they just dont how to block, or dont understand frames. Go to the natsu part of the forum, add some people from there and play with them so you can have a look at how natsu's moves can be used.

Your checklist should be
- learn how to punish, this is learning what moves you can do in certain situations for guaranteed damage (a:6 is usually good)
-Maximize you combos, dont waste a 3B launch by doing K ^^
-Learn how to move, Natsu has to rely on spacing. This is so she can create whiffs (attacks missed by opponent) and make up for lack of range
- Poking (attacking without overextending) so you dont rely on combos, and you chip you opponent's health away until they end up making a mistake and you punish them for
-Guarding, learn when to guard, when you can evade, and how to use Just guard; near a wall Natsu can make great use of just guarding

Good luck

Hello!Welcome!And Happy New Year! You do not sound very confident in the way you play. I know you said you play Natsu but you should take a look at this thread. I am sure some people here would be willing to help you out. And if no one can feel free to contact me on XBL and I can show you some of the ropes(Although I do not have a mic right now so it might be hard XD). And remember if you need anything around 8WR feel free to contact me :)

If anyone trys to say "ZOMG UR CHEEP BRO UR SO BAAAAD EVEN THOUGH YOU JUST BODIED ME U HAD TOO SPAM" to you either a) ignore those idiots or b) kindly tell him to fuck off. Like everyone else here said a win is a win, not your fault if the opponent doesnt know his counters. Anyway welcome to 8WR

If people are letting you get away with spamming a move adinfinitum, that's on them, not you. Fuck their delicate sensibilities and fragile egos. The shitty thing is, as I see that you're on live as I am, you will tend to accrue negative player rankings from these idiots. Such is life.

You're not a cheap noob. A five-line proof by Mandritti.

Noobs are inexperienced and therefore do not know the value of things.
To be cheap requires manipulating value in order to be 'a cheapskate' - such as in using the strongest moves with the least risk, or using the simplest strategies with the narrowest weaknesses, or using the fewest moves to accomplish the most mixup potential.
Therefore noobs are incapable of being cheap.

Therefore there are no cheap noobs, therefore you aren't one. []

Back