Hilde Guide & Strategy Discussion

Fei

[08] Mercenary
I figure it's about time I return something back to the community that I have drawn so much information from already. Sooo... Hi Guys!

This is cut and paste from my blog at www.avgi.wordpress.com

~~~~~

The purpose of this guide is to start players who want to play Hilde on the right foot. I'm going to tackle this while taking small baby steps but I'm making the assumption that you come into this guide with working knowledge of SC4. As always, skip to whatever information you might be interested in.

Overview

Hilde is at best a mid-tier character. She is only mid-tier because of TWO moves. Her Charge A moves and her Charge 3 B. (We'll be referring to them as C1 A, C2 A, C3 B, etc.) The reason is that on most characters, a single hit on either will do over 30% damage (70-100 damage) or automatically ring out from ridiculous ranges. The rest of her move list are rather low damage defensive stuff that many would consider as "good" moves, but in reality, they hardly win games on their own.

Pros

• +Ridiculous ring out game
  • +A large vocabulary of safe moves
Cons
  • -Somewhat steep execution learning curve (at some points you may be holding up to three buttons down while trying to block mid, low, or breaking throws.)
  • -Pretty awful damage potential outside of landing C3 B
  • -Combos are character specific
I like what I see, so what do I do now?

A few random technical things first. If you're using a pad (ie controller), either bind buttons to your shoulder, or play with your index and middle fingers on the face of the pad. I play with two fingers on the face of the pad for Soul Calibur IV, the left shoulder buttons are for B+G and A+G (they act as throws or throw breaks). In reality, this is more of a personal preference than a requirement, but playing purely with face buttons when you obviously have better options just doesn't make sense.

First thing to do is go into practice mode and familiarize yourself with all of her moves. While it's true that you won't be intentionally using most of them, it's typically counter productive to try playing the game without knowing the existence of more than three moves (except if you're Mitsu I guess, in which case it's probably ok.)

After you're comfortable with the move list, we can get started with either Arcade Mode (waits to get stoned to death) or begin practice of her charge move combos.

Basic Charge Information:

Hold A or B or both for a set time and release for a special move. The "A" versions auto guard impact (gets that honor pretty fast if you haven't gotten it). The B versions are linear mids.

• C1 - About 1 full second.
  • C2 - About 2.5 seconds.
  • C3 - About 4 full seconds.
And so the two main comboes to practice are:

• C3 B, 44K, C2 BB, C3A, C2 BB, C2 AA
  • C3 B, B+K, C2 BB, C2 AA
Pick Nightmare as your practice dummy (he's the easiest to land the first juggle on) and give it a swing. I want to point out at this point that if you can not do either of these in practice / arcade mode, you should not play vs real people. This is her bread and butter, without it, you will not win consistently.

Additional Combos that you will commonly use from charge:

• C2 BB, C3 A, C2 BB, C2 AA
  • C3 AA, C2 BB, C2 AA
Common Combos:

• 33K, 1KK, 2B+K - You'll find many chances to use this, 33K connects more often than you'd think.
  • 6B+K, 4A+B - Super long range combat. Linear.
Advice for practicing the charge combos:

• Make sure that your last move fully finishes before releasing your next charge. After each charge release, instantly "re-charge" that button as early as possible, the slower you re-tap after release, the more likely you haven't charged a move sufficiently to the level you need it at.
  • Smaller characters have smaller windows for landing C3 A in a juggle (they are near Just Frame timing).
  • Rock, Astroth, Vader, and Yoda can not be hit with the first juggle, so you must do the second one instead.
  • Watch combo videos on youtube.com for a visual cue on the timing.
Hilde's Game Plan

Look for places and ways to land C3 B or any variation that goes into charge based juggles and win.

Starting the round:

During this phase of the game, you typically have three really good options. Most other options are character specific.

• Charge both A and B and 8 way run up or down with the intention of stepping a linear opening move and connecting with 33K, 1KK.
  • BB (or 6BBB if you're counterhit fishing) is fast enough to interrupt most moves people begin rounds with.
  • Back up and see what the opponent wants to do. Typically you're just going to block something on reaction. You have the option of beginning the round with both A and B charged with this approach.
Close Up:

When you and your opponent are face to face, pretty much the rule of thumb is to release charge A if you have it. Your "A" button is extremely important and you should not be gimping yourself with it being held down for charge when close. Charging B is ok at close range.

• 6A+K - One of fastest moves in game. Has minimal range. You get this free after counterhit 3A.
  • 4B+K - One of the best "Get out of my face moves." Used after 2A on hit for better results.
  • AA - Natural combo and buys space.
  • 3A - Counterhit fish with this. Block something and throw 3A out if you want. Use after A+B on block. After 2A on hit.
  • 2A or 2K - Both serve the same function, 2A gives advantage 2K is low
  • 1A - Low poke, doesn't give advantage, but most people stop moving after getting hit with this.
  • 4AK - Decent string. Good damage (considering it's Hilde) on counterhit.
  • 3BA - Good damage.
  • 3K - Gives space. Mid hit, ok range.
  • 1KK - Another tool to fish for counterhits with.

Mid Range:

Your options are either to look for an opportunity to charge or pressure with lots of linear (read: very punishable if stepped) mid range moves. Typically at this range you want to be charging A and B. Much of your move set will be limited to K's until you commit to releasing a charge. Use mid range moves as an excuse to charge.

• 3B,A - Unsafe. Damage.
  • B,B - Natural combo poke.
  • 33B - Low Poke
  • 9K - Tech jump.
  • 33K - Unsafe but good wiff punisher and decent damage return on hit.
  • 11B - Ranged wiff punisher
  • 66K - When you're charging, you're pretty limited, this is one of the few moves that you can rush with.
  • 11K - Tech highs and it's low. Can be executed while charging A and or B.
  • 4B+K - A great overall kick.
  • 22K,A - Natural combo, decent range, comes out of step, you get decent damage from this.
  • 66A - It looks REALLY high, but it's not any higher than any other high move. With that said, it's decent step killer.
  • 6A+B - First part and chase step, decent range and speed.
  • 2A+B, K - Natural combos are always good. 2A+B is safe, the K followup isn't, hitconfirm before K input.
  • 2B+K - Low poke.
  • A+B - Great move that should be used whenever you can. (Isn't that often because of the need to charge.)
Long Range:

At long range you should do nothing but charge whore (charge both A and B, wiff an "A" if you have to). All of your best moves *which incidentally are the longest range moves in the game* can all be evaded by anyone simply holding up or down and 8way walking. Again, disclaimer: All this stuff is rather linear.
  • 4A+B - Tag this at the end of long range moves that knock down. It's pretty fast and probably the best ranged move in my opinion.
  • 66B - Rings out mid at range.
  • 66A+B - Better damage than 66B but no RO option.
  • 44B - These three moves all pretty much look the same...
  • 11B - Your ranged step punisher. Sets up wakeup, good chance you won't hit 6A+K for the juggle.
  • 33B - Your ranged low poke.
  • 6B+K - Super long distance, tech jumps, knocks down, and linear as hell.
While Under Pressure:

When under pressure, you want all of your available escape tools ready to use. Release charge A (with intention of it connecting) and DO NOT charge A or B until you get advantage again. Otherwise you'll eat throws until you die. Remember your B throw will ring out behind you!

• C1 A, C2 AA, C3 A - Your panic button.
  • 2A - Stops most forms of agro. Returns advantage to you on hit.
  • 2K - Same as above but no advantage.
  • 4B+K - Fast mid that instantly returns advantage to you on hit. Sets up wakeup.
  • 11K - Low move that avoids highs.
  • 1KK - Use on advantage to fish for a counterhit. Unsafe on block.
  • 6A+K - Fast, stops aggro.
  • 1B - A fantastic escape tool.
  • 7K - Another fantastic escape tool.
  • 3K - A fodder mid to discourage aggro, it's not too exciting. I'm listing it as an option, but that's all it is.
While Pressuring:

• A+B - +2 frames on hit and block. It's low damage, but it's used in place of other characters "BB's" On block you can very safely do 2A or 6A+K. You can counter hit fish with 3A as well. Make sure to abuse this until they realize you're netting free damage. When they turtle up, you have free wield on how to milk out damage.
  • 3BA - You want this to connect for damage. On block the second hit can be ducked and the 3BB variation just isn't worth it. Very unsafe, but necessary part of her game.
  • 6A+K - One of fastest moves in game.
  • 2A+B,K or 2B+K - The first is slower, but sets up a wakeup game. The second one is a moderately faster low. Both are important because she stays standing which hides lows better than moves that blatantly are slow and ducking low (ex. Mitsu 1A or Astaroth 1A).
  • Throw - Breaks turtles good. Her best damage.
While Opponent HP under 20%:

This is where you're shooting to win either from pressure and frame traps or mid range low pokes. You have to make the call whether to charge A or not. You don't want to charge B in this situation since you don't need the damage, a simple 3BA or 22KA will be fine.

• C1 A, C2 AA, C3 A - Typically will make the opponent block again after blocking this. Lets you keep pressure.
  • 2K, 1A, 2A+B A, 2B+K, 2A+K- These all serve the same purpose, just the low poke you need for a game win.
  • A+B - Again, +2 frames on block, keep advantage, makes 2A and 6A+K connect most of the time.
  • Throw - If you're expecting them to freeze after blocking A+B or any of the C A's, run up and throw.
  • 3BA - Wins games, run up and do this instead of throw if you expect them to twitch duck.
Opponent Grounded (Wake up game):

In these situations, you always want ot nab free damage and force mixup before charging. The worst thing you could possibly do is to knock down JUST to gain charge. Get your damage first and charge from that move.

• 2A+B, K - A person who'll not get up can just eat 2A+B until they die.
  • 3B,A - The mixup to 2A+B incase they want to wake standing.
  • 1B - Run up alittle so that this connects, start charging A and B with this move.
  • 4A+B - Tech catch people who naturally roll back on wakeup. Gives you wake up again.
  • 11K - Catches people who tend to roll up and down.
You Gaurd Impacted something (Post GI):

Simple enough.

• 3BA
  • Throw
  • 2A+BK
While Trying to Win with a Ring Out:

Hilde auto pilots this. Just land a C3 B or A. Keep decent space and let them rush in. Don't let them bait you into swinging on their block. If your press them at rings edge, you can try to spam 4B+K and bank on the random hit, otherwise, back up enough so you can land any charge you have for free wins. B+G RO's behind you if you're cornered. One of the biggest mistakes I see players make, is intentionally setting themselves back to rings edge, this is rarely a good strategy since you only have ONE move that Rings out, while the opponent no matter what character, should have many more than that.

• C2/3 B and C3 A - Connect and win pretty much any distance forward.
  • 4B+K - Super fast mid ring out in front.
  • 2A+B, K - Great low option for ringouts.
  • 3BA - Rings out in front, better distance but slower than 4B+K
  • B+G - Rings out behind you. Don't just toss it out, 2A first so you have advantage. Just spamming B+G will ring yourself out pretty fast since anyone spamming will destroy you.

Final Thoughts and Reminders:

I want to point out that there are a lot of scenario specific moves that are not covered. This is more of a general guide to get everyone going. Some notable examples would be the uses for the full crouch charge moves and what they punish.

Remember, sometimes the very best round finisher might not be the quick low, but instead the quick mid! A+B will either win, or set you up to win many close games. 3BA might not be the safest move in the world, but it's a natural combo mid and pretty much her best damage without charge, you absolutely want this as part of your game.

So there you go~ Thanks for reading this to the end! I hope this helps improve your Hilde game.

Did I say something that didn't make sense? Anywhere I was blatantly wrong? Have other suggestions?

Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome!

~Fei

PSN: xFei

Starting off Right: A Hilde Guide

Reserved: Character Specific Stuff

you want really want people to know how to beat hilde dumass never post stuff about Hilde. If everyone learns hilde all that we have learned will be useless

you want really want people to know how to beat hilde dumass never post stuff about Hilde. If everyone learns hilde all that we have learned will be useless

I hope you're not serious =p

~Fei

I dont have time now to read it(at the moment)...but it looks useful//like there may be some good info. So, good job.

Solid post xFei, everyone plays Hilde a little differently from one another, but this is a good start for those wanting to pick up Hilde. Though, I have some objections pertaining to playing Hilde in top-level play.

Solid post xFei, everyone plays Hilde a little differently from one another, but this is a good start for those wanting to pick up Hilde. Though, I have some objections pertaining to playing Hilde in top-level play.

Hi Anisakis!

I absolutely agree with you that everyone plays differently! I want to say I've been learning Soul Calibur for quite a while now and I found that I enjoyed learning characters best when someone else gave me the absolute ground rules / basics of the character. That is pretty much what I shot to do, just lay out a set of rules so that people can interperet or expand on it further.

Now let's address these objections you have to playing Hilde at high levels~

~Fei

I wouldn't consider 4B+K to be "very fast". It's i17.

I wouldn't consider 4B+K to be "very fast". It's i17.

Sure it is! It's about as fast as a 3B from X. AA's from most characters are 11-14 frames, 17 isn't that much slower =p

I mean it's obvious that you wouldn't want to fight AA's with it, but if you land a 2A first, it is unlikely to be interrupted.

If you want, just pretend I said "pretty fast" =p

~Fei

Thats a very good post and it gave me some very good tips on playing hilde. Thank you very much for investing time and effort to write this.
PS: I still think that using shoulder buttons with her is not fair.

Sure it is! It's about as fast as a 3B from X. AA's from most characters are 11-14 frames, 17 isn't that much slower =p

I mean it's obvious that you wouldn't want to fight AA's with it, but if you land a 2A first, it is unlikely to be interrupted.

If you want, just pretend I said "pretty fast" =p

~Fei

Before I got into Hilde's frame data, I used to read that 4B+K was super fast, but I kept getting it interrupted. Then I discovered that it was i17, making it "unusable" on most disadvantadge situations.
Just a nitpick, but for what I've read (not everything yet) it looks nice. Good job.

Belial, otherwise using her on a pad is almost impossible. On a sidenote, nice job on the Mitsurugi forums. I've started to use him because I just can't defeat Mitsu as Hilde and I want to learn his weaknesses from inside and your posts there are a great help.

Before I got into Hilde's frame data, I used to read that 4B+K was super fast, but I kept getting it interrupted. Then I discovered that it was i17, making it "unusable" on most disadvantadge situations.
Just a nitpick, but for what I've read (not everything yet) it looks nice. Good job.

Yup, I agree with you =p You don't have to be so careful with your words either =p You can blantaly say "You can NOT use this in disadvantage" if you want. I mean, I wouldn't use it =p

But typically on disadvantage you want to block and not swing, since you'll be eating counterhit and get put right back into disadvantage. It's a move to continue pressing the lead, ring out, and a fantastic mid at close and mid ranges.

I'm not sure if people think this way, but technically, the best frame trap in the game is your "G" button. Since everytime something is blocked, 96% of the time you're at +frames.

~Fei

Well, I know I have played Fei and Porkloaf before, I need to play you Anisakis, just so I can say I've played all the best Hilde's on PSN.

Solid post fei, but I don't really like the inherent defeated attitude of the post, for instance if I am wanting to pick up a character, and the first thing I read is "Hilde is at best a mid-tier character. She is only mid-tier because of TWO moves", I am going to want to go right back to 2BK spamming with Mitsurugi, no matter how true your statement is (which is unfortunatly very true).

I think what you could do is interview other players such as Anisakis, getting their button macros, their reasoning for using them, and how effective they could be in certain situations (seeing as you more or less have to use macros with Hilde when playing with a pad, and that using certain marcos can/could not be advantagous in certain situations. For instance:

L1: A+K
L2: B+G
R1: A+B
R2: B+K

I mainly use R1 and L2 to charge moves, but I am considering remaping these because its really hard to pull off a 6A+K with pressure on by actually pressing the face buttons, while I am holding the charges.

I will say this though, being a (I guess) decent Hilde player, I constantly get messaged by people who shit themselves when they play me and see that I don't suck.

Well, I know I have played Fei and Porkloaf before, I need to play you Anisakis, just so I can say I've played all the best Hilde's on PSN.

Solid post fei, but I don't really like the inherent defeated attitude of the post, for instance if I am wanting to pick up a character, and the first thing I read is "Hilde is at best a mid-tier character. She is only mid-tier because of TWO moves", I am going to want to go right back to 2BK spamming with Mitsurugi, no matter how true your statement is (which is unfortunatly very true).

I think what you could do is interview other players such as Anisakis, getting their button macros, their reasoning for using them, and how effective they could be in certain situations (seeing as you more or less have to use macros with Hilde when playing with a pad, and that using certain marcos can/could not be advantagous in certain situations. For instance:

L1: A+K
L2: B+G
R1: A+B
R2: B+K

I mainly use R1 and L2 to charge moves, but I am considering remaping these because its really hard to pull off a 6A+K with pressure on by actually pressing the face buttons, while I am holding the charges.

I will say this though, being a (I guess) decent Hilde player, I constantly get messaged by people who shit themselves when they play me and see that I don't suck.

You are so awesome to my ego dude! BUT I'll make my confession now; Anisakis is leagues better than me with Hilde. Like, no comparison =p Playing him made me play Hilde. =p

As for the second comment, the only thing I could have sugar coated it with, would be like "But Hilde is so much fun to play! I wub her to death!!" =p I do think Hilde is great fun to play, but telling people what they're investing thier time in is more imporant than my opinion =p

Third, I'm almost positive Anisakis uses stick =p Call it intuition or something, Anisakis want to respond? =p

~Fei

Knowing how to play a character in theory and knowing how to play a character in practice are two different things, so as long as the theory checks out nobody can hold you down for it.
Not charging B when opponent is low on health is actually something I hadn't thought about yet, so there's bound to be more of these eye openers in the guide for all of us.

First of all, excellent job on this guide! This was exactly the thread I was looking for when I decided that I would like to start using Hilde. I really appreciate it, especially your move list for When under Pressure/Pressuring, as well as the other sections of the guide.

Now though... if there is one thing that I have learned from my short practice with Hilde, is that the saying "Easier said than done" most definitely applies to her.

Saying that her main combo is C3 B, 44K, C3A, C2 BB, C2 AA is MUCH easier than actually performing it. I suggest that if you can, please try to add a detailed analysis on how to perform her bread & butter combos, rather than what the combo is. What I mean by that is when should you release/hold the B button so that you'll actually have time for another C3/C2 after release. That is definitely where I am having problems, and I feel like I am doing it wrong...

For example; I've been trying to get this the other night, and I failed miserably. C3 B, 44K was fine and dandy, but it seemed like I could never get the C2 BB afterwards. It was always a C1 B which came out. Then for the FEW TIMES that I managed to land the first C2 BB, I landed the C3 A afterwards and then the SECOND C2 BB just is not charged nearly long enough..... *sulks*

I could have sworn that I released and pressed B down IMMEDIATELY after I performed the starting C3. Is my timing just off? is there some sort of trick to it like setting B to 2 buttons? am I going to fast? I'm really having difficulty with these sorts of things. Any indication of actually HOW and WHEN to press and hold down the buttons during a combo would be great.

Anyways... Thanks again. Why does Hilde have to be so different to play compared to the rest! (and why do I have to like her XD)

@SkatanMilla: Thanks for the comments! Ofcourse not just my suggestions, I'm sure everyone has a few "tricks" they pick up, share share share! I fought a Hilde that knocked down, then 2A+B ~ G and released C1 B on my wake up behind me. Was wierd, but it came out smooth (blocked) but cool =p

@Card: Thanks for reading the guide!

Most important question. Is your training Dummy Nightmare?

He is the absolute easiest person to land the juggle on since there are no timing restrictions. If you can land the combo on him most of the time, but miss on others, it's an issue with the timing of your release C3A. There are NO TRICKS to binding buttons for this juggle, it can be done with all face buttons.

Now, your C1 problem, my suggestion: When you 44k stare at Hilde and ignore opponent. When BOTH of her feet touch ground release C2BB. You're getting C1's anytime you release before her feet touch even if you have C2 charged because game counts the buffer as a C1. Same rule more or less applies to her B+K juggle too though I found it easier to "aim to hit them for the the moment thier head is about to hit the ground."

Your last C2 BB and C2AA are likely the same issue, you're likely to be jumping the gun.

All of the above assumes you have the basics down right to just release and repress a button "pretty quick." Or more like "as instantly as possible."

Hilde feels different until you realize fundementally all she's doing is a mid when you want her to do a mid, a low when you want a low, and a throw when you want to throw, just like any other character. The most important part is that you don't think too much about why it's so different that your mids come from releasing buttons.

The blood and sweat you give for Hilde is the price you pay to see people explode and fly out of rings. Worth every moment =p

No love for 2_8KA? It sidesteps, comes out pretty fast and on hit gives backturned. It puts you in perfect range for a 2A+B (2A+K, although TC, whiffs sometimes), and if they start using BT B, then you can 2_8KA again.

Also, it can't be overemphasized that throws should be used extremely liberally up close after you've established dominance by using charge A moves.

No love for 2_8KA? It sidesteps, comes out pretty fast and on hit gives backturned. It puts you in perfect range for a 2A+B (2A+K, although TC, whiffs sometimes), and if they start using BT B, then you can 2_8KA again.

Also, it can't be overemphasized that throws should be used extremely liberally up close after you've established dominance by using charge A moves.

You mean 22_88KA? It's really a great move, natural comboes are great. I listed it already at mid range. It could be used close, but I'd be alittle scared to =p I think that 2A+K is a pretty bad. In my opinion, it's a slow and punishible low (doesn't even hit grounded that I know of). The tech crouch is great, but most people don't swing high after getting hit.

Also, throws are her best damage. Abuse once they fear charge A's. *Agree*

Very great pointers keflex!

~Fei

Back